2009-2010 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:corny: I moved from the Pitt thread to this one.

Members don't see this ad.

ahah as soon as i posted that I was like o wait **** koko prolly said that 2 years ago. Thanks for giving me more reason to panic!! :p
Haha don't worry! You're getting secondaries that I never got last year and your app is in much earlier than mine was too.

i think it's way to early to be getting interviews. if you look at the 2008-2009 forum, invites start coming in around august 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
It said in the complete email that the very last status you will see on the status page will be "Application Complete."

koko and elijah, with our long-lister powers combined, we can get interview invites!:laugh: captain planet anybody?

at least, I hope so:xf::xf::luck::luck:

koko and elijah, with our long-lister powers combined, we can get interview invites!:laugh: captain planet anybody?

Seriously. If the shotgun approach works for one of us, it HAS to work for all of us. I like how we're just setting our goal at interview invites, though :)

Seriously. If the shotgun approach works for one of us, it HAS to work for all of us. I like how we're just setting our goal at interview invites, though :)
lol best to set the bar low just in case.

thats one way to look at it. You could also say combined we are a complete and utter failure at med school apps haha:p. I prefer yours though :). Seriously though, I just want to sorta fast forward to december. All this waiting is just too much.

could it be that guy was trolling?

haha i kid you not...
i've been complete at most of the schools for almost a month now
was starting to lose morale since so many people were getting invites at other schools i applied to, but this turned that around a bit :)
i haven't received an email or anything but the status does say "Invite"
hope they're not pulling my leg

haha i kid you not...
i've been complete at most of the schools for almost a month now
was starting to lose morale since so many people were getting invites at other schools i applied to, but this turned that around a bit :)
i haven't received an email or anything but the status does say "Invite"
hope they're not pulling my leg

ooooh cool! mine says invite too. :)

ooooh cool! mine says invite too. :)

I guess it's not a fluke after all. Congrats. May be invites trickles first?

If I have a buffalo II in late august...can I call to see if I can schedule my UR interview around that time?? Or is that rude?

I just would rather buy plane tix for one round trip.

I'm not sure how far Buffalo is from Rochester. It might be wise to schedule them back-to-back if you're not from the area.

I guess it's not a fluke after all. Congrats. May be invites trickles first?

I'm not sure how far Buffalo is from Rochester. It might be wise to schedule them back-to-back if you're not from the area.

OK. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)

It takes about an hour and 15 min to drive from UB to UofR.

Also Congrats to those who have invites.

For those interested, the applications are reviewed randomly.So don't freak out much if your application has been complete for a while.It's all shuffled.

Last edited:
ditto on the thanks. cools my neuroticism a little :)

didnt know the secondaries were out....finished today....am i screwed with this school cuz of my late secondary???

didnt know the secondaries were out....finished today....am i screwed with this school cuz of my late secondary???
dear god you chose a username that describes u well haha...serious its all fine calm down, you are not screwed in any way as its VERY VERY early in the cycle. probably 1/2 the applicants who will apply have not even done so yet/are not verified.

so i didn't get an e-mail yet... but i checked my application status online and it says "Invite."

my first invite of the year! yes!

for those who care, my application was complete on 7/17.

Same thing happened to me with EVMS

And Congrats ek1099!

so i didn't get an e-mail yet... but i checked my application status online and it says "Invite."

my first invite of the year! yes!

for those who care, my application was complete on 7/17.
Congrats! :D

Wish they would tell me something, I've been complete since the 2nd!

thanks everyone!

and i got the official e-mail from them earlier this afternoon. i scheduled my interview for 9/11/09.

supposedly rochester reviews applications in a random order, so i guess it's best to just be patient. they'll surely get to your application soon.

supposedly rochester reviews applications in a random order, so i guess it's best to just be patient. they'll surely get to your application soon.

Oh that sucks.

I've been complete since 7/10, so I thought I might have been put on hold. No news is good though, I guess. :smuggrin:

damn, why do they review randomly! Early birds should get the first pecks.

Congrats to those who got invites. Still waiting for my email invite.

"Good things come to those who wait"...the motto i'm living by right now.

Congrats to those who got invites. Still waiting for my email invite.

"Good things come to those who wait"...the motto i'm living by right now.

Well, we will know by January 15th at least :)

thanks everyone!

and i got the official e-mail from them earlier this afternoon. i scheduled my interview for 9/11/09.

Knowing UR pretty well, this does NOT surprise me!

:luck:

Remember that they won't review your application even if you are complete until they get scores from your last MCAT.

when they say they review randomly, i dont think its all "random"

if i ran a school i would fb stalk ppl and pick out the hot girls first

Dear U of Rochester,

You are officially my favorite secondary...thus far

Love,
vinniekan

any new interview invites since that 1st batch? felt like bumping rochester :)

just added rochester yesterday! the website says i will get an email about filling out a secondary . . . how long will that be?

i also added Vermont yesterday, and i was thinking of adding buffalo or albany . . . that way, if i get an interview at one, i can do the whole "i will be driving through the area . . ." i know they arent THAT close together, but i like to roadtrip instead of flying, so if I go to vermont i'll pass through buffalo, rochester, and albany . . .

They probably have one of the cushiest admissions gig ever. One file per day!:laugh:

Just checked my online status and it says "invite."

Though not official, I'll take this as an invite.

That's my wishful thinking kicking in...

:D

:luck: everybody!

Edit: Invited today.

Last edited:
Anyone know much about what UR looks for? Their website doesn't say much about selection criteria. Do they go pretty much solely on numbers??

Oh and congrats bamtuba on the invite!

Anyone know much about what UR looks for? Their website doesn't say much about selection criteria. Do they go pretty much solely on numbers??

Oh and congrats bamtuba on the invite!

I know a PI who was on their committee who said that "it's all numbers." He actually alluded to this being the reason he is no longer on the committee, but who knows. I have been told several things by several people, but the underlying common denominator seems to be "if you meet the numbers" that they then consider you, but that sounds like just about everywhere to me.

If you look at who is typically accepted, it seems TO ME that they are looking for "good" numbers, interesting stories, and life experiences that are "unusual."

But who knows...it could just be some people throwing files at the trash can and whatever doesn't make it in...

:luck:

Last year they interviewed ~600 applicants for ~100 spots; so the odds of making post-interview is still quite steep. I agree with the other poster that they are very receptive to great numbers.

Last year they interviewed ~600 applicants for ~100 spots; so the odds of making post-interview is still quite steep. I agree with the other poster that they are very receptive to great numbers.

Yeah, but how many do you think they have to accept to get 100 matriculants? Might be double that (or higher)

Yeah, but how many do you think they have to accept to get 100 matriculants? Might be double that (or higher)
id wager its more then double for a school like this...most schools have to accept about double or more unless you are like UCSF and the top schools that very very few people tend to turn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.