2009-2010 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
if i remember right i read somewhere that they accept around ~230 applicants. i think this was from the us news a few years back. does anyone know anything more recent?

Members don't see this ad.

Got the invite status page. No email still...

I am so excited for this one!

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like interview invites are updated by both status page and email. For those with invites did you get email and status page updates simultaneously, or did status page come first?

It sounds like interview invites are updated by both status page and email. For those with invites did you get email and status page updates simultaneously, or did status page come first?

The status page was updated first. The e-mail came the same day a few hours later.

I would assume that the page changes first, though I can't say for sure. I'm at work and got the email on my blackberry...and promptly made a fool of myself jumping up and down in excitement. :laugh: This is my second cycle, so it's nice to be off to an early start this year. Last year I didn't get my first interview until December.

Congrats! When were you complete?
Thanks!

I submitted the secondary on the 25th of June but wasn't complete until 8/4 because of a problem with one of my letters.

My interview is Oct 2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, Bamtuba and thompa. I just wanted to make sure that there was email notification in addition to the status page update, since I don't check the status pages on a daily basis.

Congrats on the interview invites!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview next Friday - do you guys think it's okay to submit my essays tomorrow (Friday) or to be safe should I have them submitted tonight?

I have an interview next Friday - do you guys think it's okay to submit my essays tomorrow (Friday) or to be safe should I have them submitted tonight?

They ask for essays after you get an invite? What are the prompts?

they're pretty short. the term 'essay' is misleading.

To further help our interviewers, we ask that you write a brief paragraph in response to the two questions listed below (no more than a half-page/question). Please complete these questions one week prior to your interview.

1. What interests do you hope to continue or develop as you pursue your medical education at Rochester?
2. Currently, knowing you may change your mind, what medical career pathway (academic, private practice, specialty area) are you considering, and what factors have contributed to your choice?

and Quicky i think you'll be fine submitting responses tomorrow

Just submitted my app. Hopefully applying this late won't hurt my chances. Seems like they have a really strong program. My little sister is an undergrad at Rochester and she convinced me to apply.

Hi everyone... congrats on all the interview invites! I'm a 2nd year at Rochester and I'm still loving it here!

I don't get on here way too often, but I will try to check in here every now and then to answer any questions people have. Feel free to PM me as well... I might not respond super quick depending on if an exam is coming up, but I will answer!

Good luck to everyone this cycle! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Last year they interviewed ~600 applicants for ~100 spots; so the odds of making post-interview is still quite steep. I agree with the other poster that they are very receptive to great numbers.
The 100 spots can be a little bit deceiving: according to an email circulating here (I am working at URMC), 9 of them are from a special post-bacc program, 11 are from Rochester Early Medical Scholars Program, 5 are part of Early Assurance Program, and 6 are MD/PhD students in the MSTP. Given the class profile says the age range is from 21 to 34, my guess is the EAP and Early Medical Scholars Program (BS/MD?) people are not counted in the entering class 2009. However, I do think the 6 MD/PhD and 9 post-bacc guys are part of the 100 spots, so you actually end up with 85 spots or so for "regular" applicants. BTW, they took 104 matriculants this year. 4500+ completed AMCAS, 4208 completed secondary app, 686 got interviewed. Since they overaccept to start with, the chance of getting off waiting list is not too great (in general).

The 100 spots can be a little bit deceiving: according to an email circulating here (I am working at URMC), 9 of them are from a special post-bacc program, 11 are from Rochester Early Medical Scholars Program, 5 are part of Early Assurance Program, and 6 are MD/PhD students in the MSTP. Given the class profile says the age range is from 21 to 34, my guess is the EAP and Early Medical Scholars Program (BS/MD?) people are not counted in the entering class 2009. However, I do think the 6 MD/PhD and 9 post-bacc guys are part of the 100 spots, so you actually end up with 85 spots or so for "regular" applicants. BTW, they took 104 matriculants this year. 4500+ completed AMCAS, 4208 completed secondary app, 686 got interviewed. Since they overaccept to start with, the chance of getting off waiting list is not too great (in general).
Hey CD4, since there is no secondary do they pretty much go solely by mcat/gpa?

Well, that depends on which stage we are talking about here. It is true that for getting interview invite it depends mainly (not solely, though) on your stats/academic performance, but after interview they will look at everything. I mean, EVERYTHING - reco letters, EC, interview performance, etc.

The part I bolded is something I think isn't true... our EAP and REMS (the early accept program) students are counted within our class because they all must finish college first, so they are within that age range. Not that that part really matters. Oh, and we always take 104.

Hey CD4, since there is no secondary do they pretty much go solely by mcat/gpa?

Well, that depends on which stage we are talking about here. It is true that for getting interview invite it depends mainly (not solely, though) on your stats/academic performance, but after interview they will look at everything. I mean, EVERYTHING - reco letters, EC, interview performance, etc.

Getting an interview is not only about stats. Our admissions committee DOES read the personal statement and looks for unique applicants through the extracurriculars. Our interviews are blind, as the only info the interviewer receives are the answers to your questions you get sent, your name, your school, and your major(s). We do this because we know you're "good" enough to get an interview, therefore your numbers must be fine. A lot rides on the interview and how you come across, but your total package ultimately determines your status.

Scheduled to interview on 9/24!!!! So Excited! If you are also scheduled for that day, PM me or something. I'd like to get in touch with y'all

I'm a first year at Roch. Loving the school so far. I'll be happy to answer any questions. Lacrossefiend knows more than I do about most things, but I can give you the low down as well

I'm a first year at Roch. Loving the school so far. I'll be happy to answer any questions. Lacrossefiend knows more than I do about most things, but I can give you the low down as well

What is the grading policy during the first 2 years? Is it pass/fail? Is there a curve? The only thing I could find on the website had to do with classes that entered before 2002.

What is the grading policy during the first 2 years? Is it pass/fail? Is there a curve? The only thing I could find on the website had to do with classes that entered before 2002.

All basic science courses are strictly pass/fail. No honors, high pass, low pass bull$&it. The top 10% in each course do get recognized, which matters for AOA selection later in med school. I guess they do this to appease the gunners. Most people are content with passing and the atmosphere is not competitive at all.

The clerkships are graded on a more traditional honors/high pass/pass scale. Clerkships actually start 2nd semester of 1st year at Rochester.

All basic science courses are strictly pass/fail. No honors, high pass, low pass bull$&it. The top 10% in each course do get recognized, which matters for AOA selection later in med school. I guess they do this to appease the gunners. Most people are content with passing and the atmosphere is not competitive at all.

The clerkships are graded on a more traditional honors/high pass/pass scale. Clerkships actually start 2nd semester of 1st year at Rochester.

That's awesome! Thanks.

I just got my first interview invite from here today! It was completely unexpected, but I cannot wait. Could anyone who has interviewed here already let me know how it was?

Last edited:
Had my interview there yesterday. The atmosphere was very relaxed and everyone (I really mean everyone) was friendly and curteous. Couldn't have asked for a better first interview. To everyone that has one coming up, they really go out of their way to put you at ease. Both my interivews were conversational and very non-stressful. Students were very helpful with answering questions and directing you around the building. I was impressed with the program and the welcoming community.

One slight negative to the day was the amount of unscheduled time. You're there the entire day, and I spent several hours with not a whole lot to do. Usually there will be classes you can sit in on, but they didn't have much yesterday with the first years taking a test. So be prepared to find ways to keep yourself engaged throughout the day, whether its talking to students (very easy to do) or wandering around the campus.

Had my interview there yesterday. The atmosphere was very relaxed and everyone (I really mean everyone) was friendly and curteous. Couldn't have asked for a better first interview. To everyone that has one coming up, they really go out of their way to put you at ease. Both my interivews were conversational and very non-stressful. Students were very helpful with answering questions and directing you around the building. I was impressed with the program and the welcoming community.

One slight negative to the day was the amount of unscheduled time. You're there the entire day, and I spent several hours with not a whole lot to do. Usually there will be classes you can sit in on, but they didn't have much yesterday with the first years taking a test. So be prepared to find ways to keep yourself engaged throughout the day, whether its talking to students (very easy to do) or wandering around the campus.

Great info. I already plan to spend the day;thanks to JetBlue's infrequent flight schedule. Hopefully, it's not too cold by the time I interview in late October.

i interviewed there today and i agree with everyone who posted before me... everyone at rochester is INCREDIBLY nice. my fellow interviewees were a diverse group of people who were all just awesome. facilities were pretty impressive and getting to meet a bunch of the current students was great. let's just say that i'm very impressed with this school.

as for the unscheduled time: i didn't think it was too bad. they have computers available so you can surf the internet or check your e-mail. also i got to sit in on classes. with the rest of my free time, i actually talked to a lot of the current students (many checked in just to wish us luck or talk about their experiences) and my fellow interviewees.

also i had one faculty interviewer and one student interviewer. both were relaxed and conversational.

Last edited:
Just wanted to check in and say I'm so glad everyone is enjoying their visits to Rochester! Again, let me know if anyone has any questions :luck:

Haha. I wouldn't count on it.

It's getting pretty cool and the leaves are starting to change.

You can always check the weather channel website for yearly averages, but you shouldn't be in danger of real snow fall until around Thanksgiving. I have seen snow here in mid to late May though...

:)

It's getting pretty cool and the leaves are starting to change.

You can always check the weather channel website for yearly averages, but you shouldn't be in danger of real snow fall until around Thanksgiving. I have seen snow here in mid to late May though...

:)

Yeah, I have a friend doing a nursing program up there and she says she's starting to get the occasional crunchy leaf to stomp on when she's running ;)

Has anyone gotten an interview invite lately from here?

I am excited it is my first invite and I really like Rochester!

Has anyone gotten an interview invite lately from here?

I got an invite today by email. When I went online, they had also updated my status page. Complete 9/3.

I got an invite today by email. When I went online, they had also updated my status page. Complete 9/3.

congrats!! i was complete on the same day, but i'm still waiting.

would you mind sharing your stats please?

Status
Not open for further replies.