-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread
Started by ksmi117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I completed my application 9/7/2010 and the update page say that my application has been reviewed, but I haven't heard heads or tails since then. I'm an in-state resident. Do they send out rejection notices, or am I just going to be on the hook, or do I still have a shot?
Thanks
Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completed my application 9/7/2010 and the update page say that my application has been reviewed, but I haven't heard heads or tails since then. I'm an in-state resident. Do they send out rejection notices, or am I just going to be on the hook, or do I still have a shot?
Thanks
You're still eligible for interview, and will be until the season is complete. You could be in the next bunch for notification, or not. Unfortunately it's impossible to say one way or the other. No news is just no news.
finally got called back. phew. psyched on baylor for sure, and happy to join the non-texan crew of accepted applicants 🙂
Congrats!! Hope to see you next July!
My application statuse page said that it was complete & reviewed by admissions for two months now. It changed this week to :
"Your current application status is not supported by the File Completion/Status Check function. You may email the Admissions Office at [email protected] for further information."
Is this the error message that someone posted about getting it before interview invite? Should I contact the admissions?
The evidence suggests but does not prove that this is an indication that you are going to get an interview invite 😉. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that everyone who has received an interview invite had their status changed to this at some point.
It's funny to lurk on last year's thread and see how angry and frustrated people got with the secret nature of this adcom 🙂
Is it not secretive anymore? I waited 7 months after my interview without hearing a word last year before my acceptance. It was worth the wait, though!
My application statuse page said that it was complete & reviewed by admissions for two months now. It changed this week to :
"Your current application status is not supported by the File Completion/Status Check function. You may email the Admissions Office at [email protected] for further information."
Is this the error message that someone posted about getting it before interview invite? Should I contact the admissions?
My status changed to that too. I hope this is a good sign for us. 😀
For the accepted students...you now have a class thread in the Allopathic Class forum.
The accepted students also have a new Facebook group to join...it is full of current BCM students eager to welcome you. You are welcome to join if you've been accepted, even if you're not sure that you will be coming to Baylor.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_153564454687132&ap=1
The accepted students also have a new Facebook group to join...it is full of current BCM students eager to welcome you. You are welcome to join if you've been accepted, even if you're not sure that you will be coming to Baylor.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_153564454687132&ap=1
"status not supported" is a good thing, for me that happened on 10/25 and 1 week later (11/1) I got my interview invite (monday).
Thanks for the info jazz. that makes me feel pretty good. i guess i should expect an invite next week. i'm really psyched about this school. btw, when is your interview? i hope it's not too late in the interview season...
My interview is a month away on Dec 3...so its not a ridiculous amount of waiting or a "late" interview...
that isn't late at all....i interviewed at the very end of january
Does anyone know what days/times bcm usually sends out interview invites?
It could honestly be any time/day of the week. I got my phone call on a Wednesday at 5:57 pm, but I know others who received calls on Mondays and Fridays much earlier in the afternoon.
In other words, don't hover over the phone and fret 24/7. They'll call when you least expect it. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I spoke with Lindsey in the admissions office today and she told me they're having a second look weekend this year but the date hasn't been set yet, fyi.
BCM is tentatively set on having its 2nd look on April 1, 2011. Stay tuned. 😀
We're having our second look on April Fools' this year? There's something inherently funny about thatBCM is tentatively set on having its 2nd look on April 1, 2011. Stay tuned. 😀

"SURPRISE! Your acceptance was all an elaborate April Fools Day joke; you're not really accepted!" 😀
BCM is tentatively set on having its 2nd look on April 1, 2011. Stay tuned. 😀
Adjust, please. Same as Vandy's 🙁 and I think I need to see both.
Adjust, please. Same as Vandy's 🙁 and I think I need to see both.
Ahh! I'm in the same situation!
Adjust, please. Same as Vandy's 🙁 and I think I need to see both.
Ahh! I'm in the same situation!
pick vandy. it's a much better school.
The evidence suggests but does not prove that this is an indication that you are going to get an interview invite 😉. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that everyone who has received an interview invite had their status changed to this at some point.
givin me hope!!! i could kiss you, captain.
baylor's my dream school.
i have ok stats (TX res, 34R mcat, 3.88 gpa); hope it's enough for them.
truly, the waiting is the worst part.
especially when your roommate gets in somewhere before you.
especially when you were an idiot like i was and turned my apps in late(r)...
givin me hope!!! i could kiss you, captain.
baylor's my dream school.
i have ok stats (TX res, 34R mcat, 3.88 gpa); hope it's enough for them.
truly, the waiting is the worst part.
especially when your roommate gets in somewhere before you.
especially when you were an idiot like i was and turned my apps in late(r)...
Trust me, it's a much worse feeling when people who've turned their stuff in later start hearing back sooner.
Ouch.
Hey Folks,
Quick question here:
1. Does Baylor accept pre interview invite updates or letters of interest?
2. 34R 3.6 OOS submitted august what are my chances?
1) I don't see why they wouldn't
2) i think this site contains the MS1s avg stats
http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html
looks like the MCAT is there at around the avg and GPA is a little bit low....being OOS makes it more difficult, but certainly don't give up hope as this process is more than simply a numbers game. sure baylor looks at numbers, but it also really looks at other aspects of your application as well. assuming you are a well-rounded individual, i would say you still have a chance 🙂
thanks.
I feel more confident already. I really like the Baylor program so I'm really hoping I get in.
I feel more confident already. I really like the Baylor program so I'm really hoping I get in.
1) I don't see why they wouldn't
2) i think this site contains the MS1s avg stats
http://www.bcm.edu/medschool/snapshot.html
looks like the MCAT is there at around the avg and GPA is a little bit low....being OOS makes it more difficult, but certainly don't give up hope as this process is more than simply a numbers game. sure baylor looks at numbers, but it also really looks at other aspects of your application as well. assuming you are a well-rounded individual, i would say you still have a chance 🙂
I would appreciate input from those who interviewed @ BCM before:
Are the interviewers 1 MD/1 student, 1 MD/1 phD , 1phD/1 student, or what combo?
For those who sent in photo of yourself before interview, did you guys mail it or e-mail as an attachement?
What did they serve for lunch (was it light so that I should eat before I get there?)
Did the interviews take place in the same building where you entered?
Finally, in which garage did those who drove recommend parking?
Add: Dec 10th interview invite today. Submitted on 8/24.
Are the interviewers 1 MD/1 student, 1 MD/1 phD , 1phD/1 student, or what combo?
For those who sent in photo of yourself before interview, did you guys mail it or e-mail as an attachement?
What did they serve for lunch (was it light so that I should eat before I get there?)
Did the interviews take place in the same building where you entered?
Finally, in which garage did those who drove recommend parking?
Add: Dec 10th interview invite today. Submitted on 8/24.
Last edited:
I would appreciate input from those who interviewed @ BCM before:
Are the interviewers 1 MD/1 student, 1 MD/1 phD , 1phD/1 student, or what combo?
For those who sent in photo of yourself before interview, did you guys mail it or e-mail as an attachement?
What did they serve for lunch (was it light so that I should eat before I get there?)
Did the interviews take place in the same building where you entered?
Finally, in which garage did those who drove recommend parking?
Add: Dec 10th interview invite today. Submitted on 8/24.
I had one MD (faculty) and one student (2nd year). I don't remember how I sent in my picture but they made a point to collect pictures at the interview day for people who hadn't done it yet. When I interviewed they had pizza, fruit, cookies, etc.; that is, you can eat as much or as little as you want. They pretty much kept the food stocked all afternoon in case you don't want to eat before your interview. From what I remember, most of our interviews were all in the same place...some people may have had to go to a random person's office, but I don't believe anyone had to leave the building. Don't worry...there are plenty of people to help you during the interview day. The BCM's friendly demeanor is kind of what I loved most about the school! 🙂 Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would appreciate input from those who interviewed @ BCM before:
Are the interviewers 1 MD/1 student, 1 MD/1 phD , 1phD/1 student, or what combo?
For those who sent in photo of yourself before interview, did you guys mail it or e-mail as an attachement?
What did they serve for lunch (was it light so that I should eat before I get there?)
Did the interviews take place in the same building where you entered?
Finally, in which garage did those who drove recommend parking?
Add: Dec 10th interview invite today. Submitted on 8/24.
The interviews were in the same building for me, but I think a few people had to walk a little bit. Most people had a faculty interviewer and a student interview. Whether the faculty member is MD or PhD or both is just based on who you get, I would guess.
I mailed the photo in to the address they gave, and the lunch was pizza (there was plenty for everybody) and soda and water to drink. It was pretty substantial, so assuming it's the same every time, I wouldn't worry about eating beforehand.
Thanks takks & jcwhitts. I didn't expect eating pizza in a suit, but who doesn't love pizza. And, its great that I don't have to get up early for this interview. Good luck to everyone who is still anticipating invites for interviews.
Thanks takks & jcwhitts. I didn't expect eating pizza in a suit, but who doesn't love pizza. And, its great that I don't have to get up early for this interview. Good luck to everyone who is still anticipating invites for interviews.
Congrats!
Park in Garage 4. It's at the end of Ross Sterling Avenue, which intersects Fannin right in front of UT-Houston. Then you'll just walk out of the garage at Level 1, back out towards Fannin.
I mailed my photo to the address they provided.
See ya' on Dec. 10th!
I believe all MD interviews are with 1 student and with 1 MD or PhD. If you are applying MD/PhD....there are many more interviews....i believe 3 or 4 in the morning followed by the two in the afternoon.
regarding the photo, i actually just mailed mine in like a month or two after my interview to the admissions office address and put ATTN: Admissions Committee
Like every has said, lunch is pizza. LOTS of it. i believe there is also some tasty cookies and beverages as well (coke, sprite (i think), dr peppter, i think even diet dr pepper, water bottles, etc). i definitely didn't eat before my interviews, but rather ate afterwards...people interview at different times so the timing of your interviews (as well as perhaps any nervousness!, which i promise you, don't be! so laid back!) may determine when you eat.
my interviews were within a 3 minute walk of the room you are told to meet in (where you will eat, etc)
garage? eh....i don't drive to school, but there is a garage behind school (its expensive though). if possible, i'd recommend taking a bus or the metroline.
regarding the photo, i actually just mailed mine in like a month or two after my interview to the admissions office address and put ATTN: Admissions Committee
Like every has said, lunch is pizza. LOTS of it. i believe there is also some tasty cookies and beverages as well (coke, sprite (i think), dr peppter, i think even diet dr pepper, water bottles, etc). i definitely didn't eat before my interviews, but rather ate afterwards...people interview at different times so the timing of your interviews (as well as perhaps any nervousness!, which i promise you, don't be! so laid back!) may determine when you eat.
my interviews were within a 3 minute walk of the room you are told to meet in (where you will eat, etc)
garage? eh....i don't drive to school, but there is a garage behind school (its expensive though). if possible, i'd recommend taking a bus or the metroline.
I would appreciate input from those who interviewed @ BCM before:
Are the interviewers 1 MD/1 student, 1 MD/1 phD , 1phD/1 student, or what combo?
For those who sent in photo of yourself before interview, did you guys mail it or e-mail as an attachement?
What did they serve for lunch (was it light so that I should eat before I get there?)
Did the interviews take place in the same building where you entered?
Add: Dec 10th interview invite today. Submitted on 8/24.
Sweet, invited to interview Dec 3rd. Gotta fly in all the way from france, though, gonna be ******edly jet lagged for my interview.
I'm very pleasantly surprised. My stats aren't great, 3.5 cgpa and 33M. My dad went to baylor med though, that must have factored in to the invite? How much emphasis does baylor (or all med schools for that matter) place on the interview? if you've been invited to interview does that mean you have a pretty good shot at an acceptance? Just gotta charm the pants off 'em I suppose...
I'm very pleasantly surprised. My stats aren't great, 3.5 cgpa and 33M. My dad went to baylor med though, that must have factored in to the invite? How much emphasis does baylor (or all med schools for that matter) place on the interview? if you've been invited to interview does that mean you have a pretty good shot at an acceptance? Just gotta charm the pants off 'em I suppose...
I believe all MD interviews are with 1 student and with 1 MD or PhD.
My interviewers were both MDs : )
My interviewers were both MDs : )
Same for me. Most have one student and one doc, but be ready for two docs. Good luck 🙂
I read on the interview feedback for BCM that they would let the interviewees sit in during MS classes on the morning of the interview. Is BCM still doing that?
Interview invite for Dec 12 as well. What's the deal with the Irish pub thing? Are you all going to it or not? Most of my interviews I've flown out the same day as the interview, but this one's pretty late in the day.
I was the same way, and have been the same way for most of my interviews, but I stuck around for the pub. Definitely worth it, and I would recommend it for sure. Gives you chance to relax with some current students, see the more social side of the school/area and bounce your experiences off of other applicants. Food is free, too! If you can manage it, I would go for it.
Thing1, congrats but check ur invite cuz dec 12 is sunday and the interview is on 10th, friday. If anything, I hope you don't misbook your flight. I am definitely going to bar afterwards. its a good way to unwind & get the uncensored view of BCM straight from students.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read on the interview feedback for BCM that they would let the interviewees sit in during MS classes on the morning of the interview. Is BCM still doing that?
absolutely! a handful of students usually sit in on our lectures on Fridays.
and if anyone is interviewing on the 3rd, i highly recommend sitting in on the morning histology lecture. should be epic.
Interview invite for Dec 12 as well. What's the deal with the Irish pub thing? Are you all going to it or not? Most of my interviews I've flown out the same day as the interview, but this one's pretty late in the day.
i'd say about 10-20 students (at least) usually go the Brain O'Neils after the long interview day. Some MS1s, 2s, and 3s usually show up and talk about school...and give the "uncensored view" as started somewhere else in this thread. it's fun. it's good to get a sense of what the students are like here.
I was the same way, and have been the same way for most of my interviews, but I stuck around for the pub. Definitely worth it, and I would recommend it for sure. Gives you chance to relax with some current students, see the more social side of the school/area and bounce your experiences off of other applicants. Food is free, too! If you can manage it, I would go for it.
+1
Thing1, congrats but check ur invite cuz dec 12 is sunday and the interview is on 10th, friday. If anything, I hope you don't misbook your flight. I am definitely going to bar afterwards. its a good way to unwind & get the uncensored view of BCM straight from students.
+1
only thing about the 10th....not sure how many MS1s are gonna make it. we have finals on the following Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday....so MS1 turnout might be a little low. I'm not sure what the exam schedule is like for the MS2s. MS3s/4s will likely still show though
May I ask when you lucky interview invitees were complete? I really hope to receive an interview here, it's one of my top choices
Thanks =)
I was complete in mid-July with a sub-30 MCAT score. But I retook it on July 29 and got a super-30 MCAT score, which was released on August 31. I sent them an update letter telling them about my new score and what I had been doing in that time. Then my status changed last week, and here I am...
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K
