2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i submitted my primary to this school Oct 14th but havent gotten a secondary yet...and i know the last day to hand in secondary = nov 15th, should i bug em?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Should I be freaking out that my status shows that my application has been reviewed, but I haven't been invited for an interview? I'm starting to go crazy... after getting 3 interview invites back to back, it's been a month with nothing.... 🙁
Nah, it just means you aren't quite at the top of the heap. Each time they send out invites they pick the top X people on their running list, so you could have just been number X+1 on the list. Hang in there 🙂
Submitted 9/27/10 Complete 10/1/10. 3.86/3.88 34P. Any chance at recieving an interview?
As we've told you before, those numbers are more than fine. But it's way too early for you to have heard anything at this point since you were complete just 3 weeks ago. I would guess another 3-4 weeks, at least, before your application is actually reviewed. Try to be patient.
i submitted my primary to this school Oct 14th but havent gotten a secondary yet...and i know the last day to hand in secondary = nov 15th, should i bug em?
Just go ahead and fill the secondary out without the email invite; that's what I did when I applied 🙂
 
i'd give my right pink toe to go here. application has been reviewed by admissions committee but no word just yet.

chance me? 37T/3.4cGPA/TX Resident

I know the GPA is horrendous, but I wrote a pretty compelling secondary about my college struggles and their subsequent effects on my academics: family divorce, bankruptcy, cancer, etc.

Just hoping for some face time to show my passion for the school

Good luck to everyone applying to BCM

It's tough to characterize an application like yours. Your MCAT is wonderful, and your GPA is meh. Trend matters quite a bit to most, if not all adcoms. If your GPA has been flat or declining, it could hurt you a fair amount. What about your sGPA?
 
Last edited:
It's tough to characterize to application like yours. Your MCAT is wonderful, and your GPA is meh. Trend matters quite a bit to most, if not all adcoms. If your GPA has been flat or declining, it could hurt you a fair amount. What about your sGPA?

oops? I have a pretty "mediocre" GPA myself since everyone and their moms on SDN seem to have at least a 3.85 or higher
~3.7 for both cGPA and sGPA and a 36R MCAT
but it's on a somewhat of an upward trend...going up since freshman year but dipping slighty for senior year
 
oops? I have a pretty "mediocre" GPA myself since everyone and their moms on SDN seem to have at least a 3.85 or higher
~3.7 for both cGPA and sGPA and a 36R MCAT
but it's on a somewhat of an upward trend...going up since freshman year but dipping slighty for senior year

I'm not sure what you mean by oops...

3.7 is slightly below BCM mean for accepted applicants, but 36 is slightly above. I believe the stats for the entering class of 2009 were 3.85/35 for accepted people (which is not the same as matriculant data).

Have you interviewed at BCM? Your post about hoping for acceptances tomorrow implies that you have...good luck!
 
I'm not sure what you mean by oops...

3.7 is slightly below BCM mean for accepted applicants, but 36 is slightly above. I believe the stats for the entering class of 2009 were 3.85/35 for accepted people (which is not the same as matriculant data).

Have you interviewed at BCM? Your post about hoping for acceptances tomorrow implies that you have...good luck!

Well I meant oops by "should have worked harder in college." I've been thinking that more and more lately since the only weak spot on my application is grades (well I'm not 100% sure about ALL my LORs but I've seen 4 out of 6 and they were really good). My junior and senior year GPAs are 3.87 and 3.79 respectively (and the 3.79 was with me missing half a semester with a death in the family), so I wish I had worked harder my freshman and sophomore years...But to my defense, i wasn't premed until my junior year. So I really just didn't care about my grades my first two years and just focused on doing others stuff.

Yes I interviewed at BCM. Was pretty disappointed when I didn't get the call last week even though I hadn't really been expecting it (again grades...). I'm hoping I get in in the next month or so...so I don't have to blow more money on going on interviews since BCM is seriously one of my top choice schools.
 
Does Baylor reject applicants without first placing them under the "your file has been reviewed" status, or does everyone end up with this at some point?
 
Does Baylor reject applicants without first placing them under the "your file has been reviewed" status, or does everyone end up with this at some point?

To my knowledge, nobody has been rejected pre-interview, and nobody will be rejected until all of the invites have been dished out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone please remind me what they said about their AdCom meeting schedule? Every two weeks? They're all blending together...
 
Hey, I was accepted last week but haven't gotten anything in the mail yet--have other accepted applicants gotten anything?
 
Hey, I was accepted last week but haven't gotten anything in the mail yet--have other accepted applicants gotten anything?


I got my letter on 10/20, but I practically live across the street from Baylor. It's only been one week- don't worry! I bet your letter will come soon.
 
Interview Invite!!

Now, question... Baylor does rolling admissions, correct? So if we interview next month, roughly how quickly do they make the decision to either accept/wait list/reject you? My friend was telling me the better applicant you are, the faster you hear back (e.g., great applicant estimated acceptance within 2 wks after interviewing), and based on ranking of remaining applicants it will take longer for them to hear back. Is there any validity to this?
 
Last edited:
Interview Invite!!

Now, question... Baylor does rolling admissions, correct? So if we interview next month, roughly how quickly do they make the decision to either accept/wait list/reject you? My friend was telling me the better applicant you are, the faster you hear back (e.g., great applicant estimated acceptance within 2 wks after interviewing), and based on ranking of remaining applicants it will take longer for them to hear back. Is there any validity to this?

Yes. Every group of interviewees is ranked and added to the existing rank list. Thus, if you rank very highly on the list, you'll get an acceptance and knock some people further down who will no longer get an acceptance at that point. By the same token, you might not hear back for a long time because candidates are constantly ranked ahead of you, putting you just beyond whatever cutoff there is for accepting people.
 
Got a call at 2 central time from baylor, but couldn't pick it up cuz i was on rounds. they didn't leave a message, so i called them back. I was told both deans were gone and they would have to look into it and get back to me. weird, huh? yeah. weird.
 
What is the post-interview, pre-decision status message? I'm getting status not supported, but I don't know if it ever changed after I interviewed...
 
What is the post-interview, pre-decision status message? I'm getting status not supported, but I don't know if it ever changed after I interviewed...

I think it switched to not supported after the interview. Mine still says that as well. Bummer you've waited a full day. I was hoping they'd get back to me this afternoon. Apparently that's not in the cards haha. I'm not sure what they would be calling for other than an acceptance though (at least i'm trying to convince myself of that)...ever hear of schools calling for other stuff post interview?
 
Accepted! Missed the call but the dean left a nice voicemail. One of my top schools coming into it so I'm very excited. OOS, interviewed on 9/3.
 
Accepted! Missed the call but the dean left a nice voicemail. One of my top schools coming into it so I'm very excited. OOS, interviewed on 9/3.

congrats! now the no voicemail thing is concerning me. oh well. back to waiting i suppose.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats! now the no voicemail thing is concerning me. oh well. back to waiting i suppose.

Thanks. I think Coug is right about it being an acceptance- I wouldn't see any other reason for them to call. There were some other accepted students (a page or so back) who missed calls but didn't get a message, so it may just be random.
 
tell me you got a second call. i would just love to rest easy about this one.

I don't think the online status is going to tell you much. Mine's been status not supported since several weeks before I was invited to interview, and the entire time since I interviewed.
 
oops? I have a pretty "mediocre" GPA myself since everyone and their moms on SDN seem to have at least a 3.85 or higher
~3.7 for both cGPA and sGPA and a 36R MCAT
but it's on a somewhat of an upward trend...going up since freshman year but dipping slighty for senior year
3.7 is really fine, IMO. It's not going to wow anyone, but it will give you a good shot if the rest of your application is good. Try not to worry too much at this point, as others have said only a very few number of acceptances go out at a time 🙂
Does Baylor reject applicants without first placing them under the "your file has been reviewed" status, or does everyone end up with this at some point?
Baylor pretty much never rejects anyone, unless you don't get an interview and it's after their last interview date.
well it seems like it's once a week
Actually, the adcom meets immediately after each interview day and puts you on the running rank while you're at the after-interview social 🙂

I don't think I would expect acceptances to go out consistently once every week, they pretty much tend to do it whenever they feel like it.
 
Just got a call from the dean! I'm in but I'm not a Texan. Hope I'll fit in🙂

Congrats!! Lots of different people fit in at Baylor. Your class will be ~30% out-of-staters, and besides, Texas itself is a very diverse place. Baylor is very much like a family...the school and the more senior classes really make sure everyone feels welcome.

So, welcome to the family! 👍
 
Congrats on all the acceptances! Seems Baylor's not showing too much in-state love though...
 
😀


I agree...perhaps it's more about the financial aspect this year....? oos=$$$

:uhno:Hahaha, no....you're reading between the lines there. The out/in ratio is set by state legislation to the best of my knowledge. People did the same thing last year (tried to figure out a pattern of acceptances based upon the fraction of reality that SDN is).

The fact is, there is a person at BCM whose job it is to help OOS students meet the in-state tuition requirements once they get here. That way, they can pay in-state from MS-2 on. If BCM just wanted to generate funds from OOS tuition, they wouldn't make efforts to help students become in-staters. By the time the class of 2015 gets here to Houston, the class will be approximately 70:30.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If BCM just wanted to generate funds from OOS tuition, they wouldn't make efforts to help students become in-staters.

Makes me think I should put in a call to the AdCom and let em know I'd gladly pay four years of OOS to go here 😉
 
It's funny to lurk on last year's thread and see how angry and frustrated people got with the secret nature of this adcom 🙂
 
Congrats on all the acceptances! Seems Baylor's not showing too much in-state love though...
Don't worry too much about that; I think Baylor picks up for in-staters around 11/15 when they have to start competing with the TMDSAS acceptances, and truthfully the majority of acceptances come in the spring.
So we don't have to send in anything to Baylor until May 15th? No time restraint on accepting the offer?
Correct.
 
Don't worry too much about that; I think Baylor picks up for in-staters around 11/15 when they have to start competing with the TMDSAS acceptances, and truthfully the majority of acceptances come in the spring.

Correct.
\

yeah id love to hear good news from bcm
 
My application statuse page said that it was complete & reviewed by admissions for two months now. It changed this week to :

"Your current application status is not supported by the File Completion/Status Check function. You may email the Admissions Office at [email protected] for further information."

Is this the error message that someone posted about getting it before interview invite? Should I contact the admissions?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.