2010-2011 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

Started by ksmi117
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey folks, interview 11/18, complete 8/17, instate, 3.81/3.81, 31S.

How do we go about sitting in on the lecture the morning of interview? Is there some contact I need to talk to that I missed? Do I need to e-mail someone? Or just kinda show up? haha

Seriously though, I really wanna see how lectures are presented 😉 thanks
 
Last edited:
I was complete in mid-July with a sub-30 MCAT score. But I retook it on July 29 and got a super-30 MCAT score, which was released on August 31. I sent them an update letter telling them about my new score and what I had been doing in that time. Then my status changed last week, and here I am...

Congrats 🙂, that's awesome. Did your status just simply change from "we'll let you know as soon as we are able to" to interview requested?
 
Congrats 🙂, that's awesome. Did your status just simply change from "we'll let you know as soon as we are able to" to interview requested?

thanks. 🙂 my status actually changed to something along the lines of "your status is not supported by the status check page. contact the admissions office" or something. a lot of people have mentioned it earlier in this thread, and it looks like people who get invites have their status changed to this like a week before they get the email.

i only have 3 texas interviews though... i don't understand why baylor invited me before any of the UT's
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a couple questions.

First of all, Baylor does rolling admissions until March 1st, right? So I could potentially be accepted the very next week, or any week up until March 1st?

Second, if I have to send grades from this semester, will the grades I send in be used to recalculate my cumulative gpa?
 
Last edited:
Hey folks, interview 11/18, complete 8/17, instate, 3.81/3.81, 31S.

How do we go about sitting in on the lecture the morning of interview? Is there some contact I need to talk to that I missed? Do I need to e-mail someone? Or just kinda show up? haha

Seriously though, I really wanna see how lectures are presented 😉 thanks

Although I wasn't able to do this because the first years had lab that morning, at my interview day they said you can walk into any lecture and sit. You can also leave any time. I think Baylor's interview day schedule (the day doesn't start till noon) makes it easy to attend classes, most of which are in the morning. From talking to the students, seemed like they really enjoy their lectures and their professors.
 
Hey folks, interview 11/18, complete 8/17, instate, 3.81/3.81, 31S.

How do we go about sitting in on the lecture the morning of interview? Is there some contact I need to talk to that I missed? Do I need to e-mail someone? Or just kinda show up? haha

Seriously though, I really wanna see how lectures are presented 😉 thanks

Although I wasn't able to do this because the first years had lab that morning, at my interview day they said you can walk into any lecture and sit. You can also leave any time. I think Baylor's interview day schedule (the day doesn't start till noon) makes it easy to attend classes, most of which are in the morning. From talking to the students, seemed like they really enjoy their lectures and their professors.

just show up! on Friday's, the MS1s have a lecture from 8-850 AM and 9:10 - 10:00 AM in McMillian Auditorium. Just walk right in and sit somewhere. i think most students who are interviewing end up sitting in the back row, but it doesn't matter.

we also have our histology labs from 10-ish (10:10) to 12 upstairs on the 3rd and 4th floor. Feel free to follow some MS1s upstairs if you want to see what histology labs are like.
 
I have a couple questions.

First of all, Baylor does rolling admissions until March 1st, right? So if I interview next week I could potentially be accepted the very next week, or any week up until March 1st?

Second, if I have to send grades from this semester, will the grades I send in be used to recalculate my cumulative gpa?

1) Yes, you can be accepted any time after the interview...up until when school starts. I don't think March 1st has any significance at BCM though. It's fair to say that historically, a large portion of the class is accepted in the March-April-May time frame.

2)I don't have an informed answer on this, but I would bet that they don't recalculate. Especially if your file has already been reviewed. There are roughly 5,000 applicants, so I just don't see how they could go back and hammer out new calculations...and then have the committee member(s) re-review the files.
 
absolutely! a handful of students usually sit in on our lectures on Fridays.

and if anyone is interviewing on the 3rd, i highly recommend sitting in on the morning histology lecture. should be epic.




i'd say about 10-20 students (at least) usually go the Brain O'Neils after the long interview day. Some MS1s, 2s, and 3s usually show up and talk about school...and give the "uncensored view" as started somewhere else in this thread. it's fun. it's good to get a sense of what the students are like here.



+1

Hahaha, epic indeed. Can't wait!

As a heads up to people interviewing this Friday: if you're interested in attending a lecture, you should probably come to either the 8:00AM lecture or the 10-12 histology lab. The 9:00 lecture is likely to be extremely boring (statistics/P-values!!!!).
 
My Application status online is currently
Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee.
We will let you know something as soon as we are able.


Baylor College of Medicine interviews from September through February.
You are eligible for interview consideration through February.

Not sure when this has changed, I havent logged in since I submitted 9/27/10. Is this a bad thing to have on my page?
 
Thing1, congrats but check ur invite cuz dec 12 is sunday and the interview is on 10th, friday. If anything, I hope you don't misbook your flight. I am definitely going to bar afterwards. its a good way to unwind & get the uncensored view of BCM straight from students.

Yeah, you're right, thanks for the heads up
 
Hey all! I got in to Baylor a few weeks ago, but I'm nervous about going there. I'm from NC, and pretty close to my family. Houston seems big and scary. Is there anyone on this forum OOS and currently going to Baylor that can ease my fears? I plan to go to second look, so I guess I'll see more there. For some reason, I just feel like I'll be really out of place at Baylor and I don't want to feel that way! I'm thrilled to be offered an acceptance but just for some reason nervous/uneasy. Hope this feeling goes away. . . I love the TMC and I know my education will be top notch. The tour rules and you can do anything there! Maybe b/c my MCAT is on the lower end of their range, I feel like everyone will be smarter the I am and I'll just get lost in the weeds! Sorry for the rant, but I've received a few acceptances and trying to hash out all feelings to make the best choice. That's all for now. Comments? Don't judge me! Hahaha 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all! I got in to Baylor a few weeks ago, but I'm nervous about going there. I'm from NC, and pretty close to my family. Houston seems big and scary. Is there anyone on this forum OOS and currently going to Baylor that can ease my fears? I plan to go to second look, so I guess I'll see more there. For some reason, I just feel like I'll be really out of place at Baylor and I don't want to feel that way! I'm thrilled to be offered an acceptance but just for some reason nervous/uneasy. Hope this feeling goes away. . . I love the TMC and I know my education will be top notch. The tour rules and you can do anything there! Maybe b/c my MCAT is on the lower end of their range, I feel like everyone will be smarter the I am and I'll just get lost in the weeds! Sorry for the rant, but I've received a few acceptances and trying to hash out all feelings to make the best choice. That's all for now. Comments? Don't judge me! Hahaha 🙂

congrats on your acceptance! i feel it that it is normal to be going to medical school in general....especially if you are starting up afresh with a new city, new people, new environment....i would say it would be abnormal not to have any kind of anxiety whatsoever.

I am OOS. Lived in AZ my entire life (23 yrs)....went through all of my schooling previously with a lot of the same people (elementary, middle, high, college)....so i had a little anxiety moving out here and starting new. i thought i would perhaps feel out of place, but i was incorrect. there is no reason to feel out of place, regardless of being instate or out of state. the students that are hand selected by the admissions committee are wonderful and accept whoever you are with open arms.

mcat....who cares? you know what? i know brilliant people who scored lower on their mcat and people who i feel may not be as intelligent who scored higher.....the mcat is just a test to evaluate how well you take a test. i wouldn't let an mcat score be any indicator or tool whatsoever in comparing you with your potential future classmates and colleagues. once you're here, no one cares....and you will not be able to tell the difference. everyone is intelligent and from different backgrounds....the mcat....just forget about it. bottom line (in case you haven't gotten it yet) is that mcat score does NOT equal/dictate your intelligence level. it's seriously irrelevant at this point. the admissions committee felt that you would be able to handle the rigorousness of BCM...which is a great honor. it is very difficult to fail and the faculty/administration will go out of their way to ensure that no such thing occurs.

i would imagine your emotions and feelings are racing with anxiety and anticipation of starting medical school with your new acceptances. give it a little time for these feelings to subside. remember that you are not the only person out of state....not the only person coming from a different area....and definitely not the only person with these feelings. you'll make the right decision i'm sure, and hopefully it is to come to bcm! 😍

hope that helps, and congrats again!
 
congrats on your acceptance! i feel it that it is normal to be going to medical school in general....especially if you are starting up afresh with a new city, new people, new environment....i would say it would be abnormal not to have any kind of anxiety whatsoever.

I am OOS. Lived in AZ my entire life (23 yrs)....went through all of my schooling previously with a lot of the same people (elementary, middle, high, college)....so i had a little anxiety moving out here and starting new. i thought i would perhaps feel out of place, but i was incorrect. there is no reason to feel out of place, regardless of being instate or out of state. the students that are hand selected by the admissions committee are wonderful and accept whoever you are with open arms.

mcat....who cares? you know what? i know brilliant people who scored lower on their mcat and people who i feel may not be as intelligent who scored higher.....the mcat is just a test to evaluate how well you take a test. i wouldn't let an mcat score be any indicator or tool whatsoever in comparing you with your potential future classmates and colleagues. once you're here, no one cares....and you will not be able to tell the difference. everyone is intelligent and from different backgrounds....the mcat....just forget about it. bottom line (in case you haven't gotten it yet) is that mcat score does NOT equal/dictate your intelligence level. it's seriously irrelevant at this point. the admissions committee felt that you would be able to handle the rigorousness of BCM...which is a great honor. it is very difficult to fail and the faculty/administration will go out of their way to ensure that no such thing occurs.

i would imagine your emotions and feelings are racing with anxiety and anticipation of starting medical school with your new acceptances. give it a little time for these feelings to subside. remember that you are not the only person out of state....not the only person coming from a different area....and definitely not the only person with these feelings. you'll make the right decision i'm sure, and hopefully it is to come to bcm! 😍

hope that helps, and congrats again!

Thank you so much for that sweet letter! The internet can be rough and I was expecting a rude response, but you told me just what I needed to hear! So thanks again! You're right, I just need to chill out, get pumped for second look weekend, and let whatever happens happen! 😀
 
Thank you so much for that sweet letter! The internet can be rough and I was expecting a rude response, but you told me just what I needed to hear! So thanks again! You're right, I just need to chill out, get pumped for second look weekend, and let whatever happens happen! 😀

I would just like to echo jturkel's eloquent reply. I agree that feeling inadequate, subpar, mediocre, etc. is completely normal--and expected. The faculty and previous classes are aware that you're experiencing those feelings, and I believe BCM does an excellent job of 'nurturing' you to make sure you get off to a smooth start.

Unlike jturkel, I am not from out-of-state. I am from a different part of Texas though, and I knew nobody in Houston, nor did I know anybody in the class from undergrad. I am a bit introverted, and was a non-traditional student, so finding friends/fitting in was a concern of mine. When people say Baylor is like a family, they actually mean it. I am surrounded by kind, gifted, brilliant, and humble classmates and faculty. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision to come to BCM. It's been a fantastic experience so far! Good luck with your decision, and I hope to see you next year!👍
 
Hey all! I got in to Baylor a few weeks ago, but I'm nervous about going there. I'm from NC, and pretty close to my family. Houston seems big and scary. Is there anyone on this forum OOS and currently going to Baylor that can ease my fears? I plan to go to second look, so I guess I'll see more there. For some reason, I just feel like I'll be really out of place at Baylor and I don't want to feel that way! I'm thrilled to be offered an acceptance but just for some reason nervous/uneasy. Hope this feeling goes away. . . I love the TMC and I know my education will be top notch. The tour rules and you can do anything there! Maybe b/c my MCAT is on the lower end of their range, I feel like everyone will be smarter the I am and I'll just get lost in the weeds! Sorry for the rant, but I've received a few acceptances and trying to hash out all feelings to make the best choice. That's all for now. Comments? Don't judge me! Hahaha 🙂

I'm on the opposite boat as you. As a native Houstonian, the location in Houston is a bit of a drawback. Part of me feels that itch to venture forth and try something new. It's an itch that led me to leave the state immediately after college graduation, only to come back and then leave again. Both of these experiences living in a place where I know no one have been incredibly rewarding. However, this isn't strong enough to deter me from attending Baylor. If I'm lucky enough to get accepted, I would go in a heartbeat. View the chance to try something new as an exciting opportunity! It will be scary but you will grow so much that you won't believe it.

The admissions comittee anywhere know exactly what type of student would fit in well at their school. You wouldn't have gotten accepted had they not thought that you would've fit in beautifully into the Baylor culture. You wouldn't have even gotten an interview had you not been academically qualified. The fact that your MCAT is on the lower end is completely irrelevant. There are other things in your application that make up for it. Anyhow, you don't have to make any decisions for another 6 months. You can maul it over until you arrive at a decision that you are at peace with.

take care! Houston isn't scary at all!!! If you have any questions about life in Houston, feel free to PM me!
 
So I am from Houston and have heard a lot of negativity in the last year or two surrounding Baylor and its splitting up from Methodist to build its own hospital and how the funds have gone dry. How is BCM dealing with the issues right now and how are they reacting to the failed attempts to align with either Rice University or the University of Houston? If anyone can elaborate that would be great. (I searched a small amount on the forum but didn't see any great answers)

Anyway, I want to be in Houston and have interviewed at UT-H and am waiting for a possible invite from Baylor. Just want to see what my chances are based on student feedback. I'm a grad student at an Ivy Med Center right now, 3.2 uGPA/3.7gGPA/ 32R MCAT. Wondering if any current BCM students have gotten in with the lower uGPA. Thanks.
 
I am from Houston. From what I heard, BCM is in the clear with regards to financial issues, so it is stable now. Their avg 2010 metriculant stats are around 33-34 & 3.8 GPA. That being said, your stats aren't everything, right.
 
So I am from Houston and have heard a lot of negativity in the last year or two surrounding Baylor and its splitting up from Methodist to build its own hospital and how the funds have gone dry. How is BCM dealing with the issues right now and how are they reacting to the failed attempts to align with either Rice University or the University of Houston? If anyone can elaborate that would be great. (I searched a small amount on the forum but didn't see any great answers)

Anyway, I want to be in Houston and have interviewed at UT-H and am waiting for a possible invite from Baylor. Just want to see what my chances are based on student feedback. I'm a grad student at an Ivy Med Center right now, 3.2 uGPA/3.7gGPA/ 32R MCAT. Wondering if any current BCM students have gotten in with the lower uGPA. Thanks.
It wasn't a "failed" attempt to merge with Rice University, we mutually decided that the partnership would not be in our best interest. After declining to merge with Rice, we never attempted to align with the University of Houston. Many schools were hurt by the economic downturn in 2008, but suffice to say that Baylor is well on its way to rebounding, and truthfully it hasn't affected the medical students in any meaningful way that I have seen so far. In regards to Methodist, we are still affiliated with Methodist, just not as closely as we used to be; students can still rotate through there, and we are also affiliated with seven other hospitals, so I assure you that our clinical training is not suffering. The split from Methodist occurred all the way back in 2004, yet we achieved some of the very highest Step I scores in the nation last year--again, a testament to the quality of the education you will receive at Baylor. The financial issues may be something for the administration to worry about, but not us 🙂

As others have said, stats are not everything. You are obviously aware that both your MCAT and cGPA are below the average for Baylor, but if the rest of your application makes up for it you certainly have a shot.
Interviewing in the AM. Baylor has been and is my #1
😍 OoOooO
Technically, your interview doesn't start until the PM 😉

Good luck everyone today!
 
It wasn't a "failed" attempt to merge with Rice University, we mutually decided that the partnership would not be in our best interest. After declining to merge with Rice, we never attempted to align with the University of Houston. Many schools were hurt by the economic downturn in 2008, but suffice to say that Baylor is well on its way to rebounding, and truthfully it hasn't affected the medical students in any meaningful way that I have seen so far. In regards to Methodist, we are still affiliated with Methodist, just not as closely as we used to be; students can still rotate through there, and we are also affiliated with seven other hospitals, so I assure you that our clinical training is not suffering. The split from Methodist occurred all the way back in 2004, yet we achieved some of the very highest Step I scores in the nation last year--again, a testament to the quality of the education you will receive at Baylor. The financial issues may be something for the administration to worry about, but not us 🙂

As others have said, stats are not everything. You are obviously aware that both your MCAT and cGPA are below the average for Baylor, but if the rest of your application makes up for it you certainly have a shot.

Technically, your interview doesn't start until the PM 😉

Good luck everyone today!


Thank you for clearing things up! It obviously would be an incredible opportunity to interview at BCM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Pretty sure I'm doing tours and/or the student Q&A panel that day, so I'll see ya' then!
 
Well I fell in love with this school on interview day--my top choice now by leaps and bounds. I feel like my chances are bleak, however, because even though one of my interviews was fantastic, probably my best at any school, the other one wasn't so great. 🙁
 
Well I fell in love with this school on interview day--my top choice now by leaps and bounds. I feel like my chances are bleak, however, because even though one of my interviews was fantastic, probably my best at any school, the other one wasn't so great. 🙁
how so? What makes you think it went bad?
 
Well I fell in love with this school on interview day--my top choice now by leaps and bounds. I feel like my chances are bleak, however, because even though one of my interviews was fantastic, probably my best at any school, the other one wasn't so great. 🙁

I wouldn't put too much stock in interviews. There's no way to tell how it really went. Just wait for the call and hopefully it'll come. 🙂
 
Well I fell in love with this school on interview day--my top choice now by leaps and bounds. I feel like my chances are bleak, however, because even though one of my interviews was fantastic, probably my best at any school, the other one wasn't so great. 🙁

Did you interview this past Friday? if so, perhaps we met! I feel exactly the same way about loving the school.
I'm counting down the 10 daysssssss lol 😳:scared::xf:
 
Well I fell in love with this school on interview day--my top choice now by leaps and bounds. I feel like my chances are bleak, however, because even though one of my interviews was fantastic, probably my best at any school, the other one wasn't so great. 🙁
Really try not to worry about it too much. I got in at another school where I thought I had a disastrous interview. The truth is you just can't tell how your interview went immediately afterward; it's human nature I think to overanalyze things and assume the worst. Good luck!
Did you interview this past Friday? if so, perhaps we met! I feel exactly the same way about loving the school.
I'm counting down the 10 daysssssss lol 😳:scared::xf:
:laugh: Good luck with that, but keep in mind that most of our acceptances probably won't be given out until probably February/March.
 
I've been complete since mid/late August and my status still says that I've been complete and reviewed and they will let me know for an interview...

Is this likely a silent rejection? I know they rank order applicants, but I'm sure it's getting pretty late in the interview invite game.

Thanks everyone
 
I've been complete since mid/late August and my status still says that I've been complete and reviewed and they will let me know for an interview...

Is this likely a silent rejection? I know they rank order applicants, but I'm sure it's getting pretty late in the interview invite game.

Thanks everyone
I was complete end of July and just got an interview invite this past Saturday for Dec 17...I had totally given up hope, so this came as a total surprise!!! Hang in there, you can still interview until February!!!
 
Just got the phone call--accepted to the Baylor College of Medicine for the 2011 entering class! Wahoo!!! Baylor, here I come:laugh:
 
Just got the phone call--accepted to the Baylor College of Medicine for the 2011 entering class! Wahoo!!! Baylor, here I come:laugh:


CONGRATS!! 😀 That's awesome! Do you happen to have stats/when you interviewed (if you don't mind me asking)?
 
Starting to think the silence will end up being a sign of rejection since I submitted back in June or maybe its my skepticism because all the other TX schools are so much earlier. I was really hoping for an interview here although I know my MCAT score sucks, but the rest of my app is really strong. Does Baylor accept pre-interview Letters of Interest, and/or will it affect the rank/order in any way? This may have been addressed earlier, but I couldn't find any info on it. :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOI before interviewing is like asking someone to marry you without ever getting to know them. You might look desperate and clueless if you are willing to make such a huge leap. On the other hand, if you think you have very little chance of interviewing here, then LOI can't hurt much. But, you can write an update letter which shows that you are still interested and improving your weaknesses. BCM interviews into February.
 
I was complete end of July and just got an interview invite this past Saturday for Dec 17...I had totally given up hope, so this came as a total surprise!!! Hang in there, you can still interview until February!!!

Congratulations! Did you by any chance send any interest/update letters. I sent one, but they didn't even acknowledge receipt.

Just got the phone call--accepted to the Baylor College of Medicine for the 2011 entering class! Wahoo!!! Baylor, here I come:laugh:

I can taste your happiness - and it tastes good.
 
Starting to think the silence will end up being a sign of rejection since I submitted back in June or maybe its my skepticism because all the other TX schools are so much earlier. I was really hoping for an interview here although I know my MCAT score sucks, but the rest of my app is really strong. Does Baylor accept pre-interview Letters of Interest, and/or will it affect the rank/order in any way? This may have been addressed earlier, but I couldn't find any info on it. :xf:
They'll accept it, though I'm not sure how much weight it will be given, if any. Still, if it will give you peace of mind to know that you did "everything possible," I suppose it couldn't hurt. If you could include some updates that would strengthen your application, I think that would make anything you send them a lot stronger than a letter that just says you like Baylor--which, no offense, is already apparent by the fact that you applied 🙂
 
Congratulations! Did you by any chance send any interest/update letters. I sent one, but they didn't even acknowledge receipt.



I can taste your happiness - and it tastes good.
I didn't send anything...I was actually thinking of sending one just before I got the invite, lol...
 
So does anyone get rejected post-secondary? I've been at "Your application is complete and has been reviewed by the committee. We will let you know something as soon as we are able." for a while....

I'm guessing it's a no go for me...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.