2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the heads up! So just to clarify, this letter distinctly said you were on an actual wait list, correct? Not the "no further action" letter that some people refer to as being on a "wait list".

Members don't see this ad.

LOL

So after checking my mailbox every hour for a week, I get a call from one of my LOR writers. Turns out they sent it to him?!

Going to pick it up now... :laugh:

LOL

So after checking my mailbox every hour for a week, I get a call from one of my LOR writers. Turns out they sent it to him?!

Going to pick it up now... :laugh:

That's hilarious...Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you just finish the pharmacology program this year?

No, I finished it in 2009. The year before mine, almost everyone from the program got accepted to Tulane. Starting with my year, only a few were accepted. There were a lot of angry people from my program. We were all very much sold a false bill of goods. I'm actually surprised people are still doing those programs. I guess we didn't spread the word around well enough.

I'm very happy that I'll be starting at LSU-NO in August as Tulane left a very bitter taste in my mouth. It's a shame because that's where I went to undergrad, too. I always enjoy depositing the alumni letters they send me asking for money directly into the trash! :)

No, I finished it in 2009. The year before mine, almost everyone from the program got accepted to Tulane. Starting with my year, only a few were accepted. There were a lot of angry people from my program. We were all very much sold a false bill of goods. I'm actually surprised people are still doing those programs. I guess we didn't spread the word around well enough.

I'm very happy that I'll be starting at LSU-NO in August as Tulane left a very bitter taste in my mouth. It's a shame because that's where I went to undergrad, too. I always enjoy depositing the alumni letters they send me asking for money directly into the trash! :)

Interesting. A number of us this year got in and we all LOVED the program. I got in to LSU, but withdrew because I truly love Tulane (Pass/Fail, Tegrity - which LSU doesn't even do audio recordings, blocks vs whatever that system is that LSU uses). The cost difference didn't matter as I'm not having to pay for med school.

Both are wonderful schools though; I just truly love Tulane and everyone that's there just seems to love it and have a great time. We have a few out of the class that got into LSU (both locations) and I know they're extremely happy. I think the pharm program is going a great job at exposing us to medical school curriculum and increase our chances of getting in, whether at Tulane or elsewhere.

Sounds like your class didn't experience that though. That's a shame.

Best of luck to the LSU NFA people.

Well, if you're gonna get flat-out rejected after busting your ass making awesome grades for 2 years in grad school, it's good to have a funny story about it. :oops:

Congrats to the accepted folks and hope to see you next year!

Hey guys, I just received the rejection letter from new orleans about an hr. ago. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to the ones still waiting.

Hey guys, I just received the rejection letter from new orleans about an hr. ago. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to the ones still waiting.

same here man.... rejected :( , I hope i make it in Shreveport now. Gonna start plan C!

Another rejection over here. Congrats to those accepted...how I wish I was in your shoes! :oops: GOOD LUCK to everyone reapplying and to those still on the waitlist!

The mail man didn't come today at all. I haven't received any mail from LSU. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing :idea:

Another rejection over here. Congrats to those accepted...how I wish I was in your shoes! :oops: GOOD LUCK to everyone reapplying and to those still on the waitlist!

Omg!!! What is the post mark date on those guys?? Aww I'm so sorry :(

YAYYYYY I'll join the rejected club too :rolleyes: lol.....sucks. Oh well. I suppose it makes my decision easier. Shreveport it is!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not fit to join the rejected club :p

:thumbup: I agree. I'm standing at zero acceptances so far after a second year of applying....I guess we should all be routing for scarshapedstar at this point.

Last edited:
Naw. I should have made it more clear that the funny rejection story was mine, since they sent it the letter to the wrong place. :D

Sucks but not as bad as those days spent in limbo. Anywho I'm optimistic, I did a lot of stuff over the past year and most importantly (or so I'm told) I will have everything ready the moment AMCAS opens, and I might not be the first to think of this but the secondary app is unlikely to change and can be prepared in advance too.*

Only decision to make is, well, early decision?

*Also they accept deliveries by hand.**
** Also if you turn it in 5 minutes after they send you the email saying you have access they will probably think you have superhuman powers and will totally overlook your organic chem grades.

omg, I'm SO sorry! rejections seem to be sent pretty early this year, thought they usually waited until June, must've been a lot of applicants this year.

The earlier the better imo, it's like a cattle prod of motivation!

yes that is correct. I was placed on an 'alternate prioritized list'.

Thanks for the heads up! So just to clarify, this letter distinctly said you were on an actual wait list, correct? Not the "no further action" letter that some people refer to as being on a "wait list".

yes that is correct. I was placed on an 'alternate prioritized list.'

Interesting. A number of us this year got in and we all LOVED the program. I got in to LSU, but withdrew because I truly love Tulane (Pass/Fail, Tegrity - which LSU doesn't even do audio recordings, blocks vs whatever that system is that LSU uses). The cost difference didn't matter as I'm not having to pay for med school.

Both are wonderful schools though; I just truly love Tulane and everyone that's there just seems to love it and have a great time. We have a few out of the class that got into LSU (both locations) and I know they're extremely happy. I think the pharm program is going a great job at exposing us to medical school curriculum and increase our chances of getting in, whether at Tulane or elsewhere.

Sounds like your class didn't experience that though. That's a shame.

Best of luck to the LSU NFA people.

My Tulane grad experience was more like this, I really enjoyed it. Out of undergrad, when I first applied to med school and didn't get in, I considered Tulane pharm and Tulane MHA, ended up doing MHA. I had an interest in Tulane pharm after hearing great things from people in the program, but chose MHA because it's more on my career path.

For those that did not get in this year, was this first time through application cycle? It's really difficult to get in straight out of undergraduate. Meet with Dr. Eubanks to get his tips on what to do to improve your application. It's often not going to be that much more than you've already done, just continuing to show strong interest. I did my masters program, reapplied, and was accepted without any additional science grades nor retaking MCAT.

Oh, and if there's anything I can do help, let me know!

Just released my seat back into the wild. Hardest decision of my life, but it looks like I'll be in Shreveport in the Fall. I hope one of you sdner's on the alternate list get it! Good Luck!:luck:

Just released my seat back into the wild. Hardest decision of my life, but it looks like I'll be in Shreveport in the Fall. I hope one of you sdner's on the alternate list get it! Good Luck!:luck:

Why'd you pick Shreveport? I'm not too eager to go back to that corner of the state after going to high school in Natchitoches, but there is something to be said for the camaraderie that develops in the middle of nowhere. :D Just wondering if this was your thinking, or the systems-based thing, or something else.

Hi there. Even though this is my first post, I'm a long time lurker of SDN and was placed on the waitlist. I was just wondering if the waitlist is moving. Have they started filling the spots yet? Obviously, I haven't heard anything since I received my waitlist letter and neither have several of my friends who are also on the waitlist. Has anyone here been accepted off the waitlist yet? If so, when did you receive your letter? Thanks for the help.

Why'd you pick Shreveport? I'm not too eager to go back to that corner of the state after going to high school in Natchitoches, but there is something to be said for the camaraderie that develops in the middle of nowhere. :D Just wondering if this was your thinking, or the systems-based thing, or something else.

Sorry, I completely didn't see your post! To be honest, they are both awesome schools that will give me a great education. Each has its own pros and cons that can't really compare with each other....I just had this gut feeling that Shreveport is where I'm supposed to be. I couldn't make a decision based on logistics, so I just went with my gut and so far I'm happy :D

Hi there. Even though this is my first post, I'm a long time lurker of SDN and was placed on the waitlist. I was just wondering if the waitlist is moving. Have they started filling the spots yet? Obviously, I haven't heard anything since I received my waitlist letter and neither have several of my friends who are also on the waitlist. Has anyone here been accepted off the waitlist yet? If so, when did you receive your letter? Thanks for the help.

I'm on the waitlist too and haven't heard anything at all... do you know how many spots are on the waitlist total? Last I remember, it was like 10-15. Ugh..let's hope we hear something soon!!!

Thanks for letting us know!! Patiently yet anxiously waiting over here...

Im on the waitlist to. I heard around 10 are on it. Does anyone know who made the waitlist? was it the entire comittee or just eubanks and mccluggage?

Im on the waitlist to. I heard around 10 are on it. Does anyone know who made the waitlist? was it the entire comittee or just eubanks and mccluggage?

When I talked to Dr. Eubanks, he explained that the committee is split into groups and given 50-60 applications. They have to pick their top ten or however many. Then the committee comes back together to try to get their top applicants an acceptance spot. The remaining that weren't as fortunate gets placed on a waiting list.

I was told the prioritized waitlist is 50-60 applicants

Re-applicant here. Got the call Monday that I was accepted off of the waitlist and that my letter would go out Tuesday. I received my acceptance letter Wednesday. I'm about a 2.5 hour drive from New Orleans if that helps. The waitlist is definitely moving and I wish everyone the best of luck! Whether you're still waiting or figuring out your back up plan to re-apply, don't give up.

Last edited:
Re-applicant here. Got the call Monday that I was accepted off of the waitlist and that my letter would go out Tuesday. I received my acceptance letter Wednesday. I'm about a 2.5 hour drive from New Orleans if that helps. The waitlist is definitely moving and I wish everyone the best of luck! Whether you're still waiting or figuring out your back up plan to re-apply, don't give up.

CONGRATS!!! And thanks for letting us know, I guess it's better to expect a phone call because I'm tired of stalking my mailbox. Haha..Good luck with everything!

Hey I was wondering if anyone else got any acceptances. There is still some time even with people on the wait-list!

well i know they sent out letters saying that they don't expect any movement on the waiting list anymore, but my bf got accepted that same day through a phone call. He chose shreve though, so maybe it moved a tad more!

wow! well of course, those of you waiting, you may want to re-apply for now just in case you don't get in and of course talk to Dr. Eubanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.