2010-2011 Tufts Maine Track Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

london56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone - I am an applicant for the Tufts Maine Track, and I thought it would be a good idea to start an up-to-date Maine Track thread to separate the Maine Track stats from the regular Tufts track. If anyone has interview/acceptance information... post here!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed 11/5! Should hear back soon hopefully!

hey mainer207- did they happen to give you any interview stats? such as... are they doing the scholarship giveaway this year? will the class size be 30? any information will help!

Members don't see this ad :)
They're hoping to give away up to 20 scholarships if they can afford it (the soon-to-be-governor might be making that difficult). They're also aiming for a class size of 36 if they get enough qualified applicants!

I have an upcoming interview. Can you share some info about yours?

It was super low-key. The day started with an overview of the program, curriculum, ideals etc with Dr. Bing-You. Then there were 2 interviews that were really conversational. Mainly focused on why medicine and why Maine. Then lunch, a tour of the sim. center, and then a tour of Maine Med.

The day takes place at the brand new simulation center and your interviews actually take place in fake patient rooms that they try to make less intimidating by putting blankets on the exam tables and bathmat-like rugs on the floor.

Got the call at 12:30, but didn't check my messages until 8PM. I love acceptance phone calls!

Interviewed recently, fingers crossed on this one. I think I am going to jump every time the phone rings after 12/17.

Congrats to those of you that are in- I got the acceptance call last week, too, and am so excited! I loved Maine Med and the program, and this is very likely where I will decide to go.
I got the acceptance e-mail today and was a little confused- it said I was accepted to the "traditional MD program/Maine track." By traditional MD program, do they mean Tufts proper? I was never interviewed at Tufts proper, and I figured I needed to actually interview there in order to be accepted... but maybe that's not true?
And Colby 09- good luck!

Congrats to those of you that are in- I got the acceptance call last week, too, and am so excited! I loved Maine Med and the program, and this is very likely where I will decide to go.
I got the acceptance e-mail today and was a little confused- it said I was accepted to the "traditional MD program/Maine track." By traditional MD program, do they mean Tufts proper? I was never interviewed at Tufts proper, and I figured I needed to actually interview there in order to be accepted... but maybe that's not true?
And Colby 09- good luck!

It just means that you got into the MD program and not the MD/MPH or MD/PhD or MD/something else program

Has anyone been offered a scholarship? I was under the impression that the adcom would be offering acceptances and scholarships together to the lucky few, but I could be wrong. Anyone else hear this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been offered a scholarship? I was under the impression that the adcom would be offering acceptances and scholarships together to the lucky few, but I could be wrong. Anyone else hear this?

The acceptance phone call said that Dean Bing-You would be contacting us separately about scholarship opportunities

hey fellow mainiacs (and outer staters too) Congrats to all on the acceptances. I got the call too about a month ago. I just wanted to know if there are any deering alums here?

hey stalker. I gave vanessa a call and she was able to notify me of my scholarship status. Good luck!

In the acceptance letter it says that MMC will contact you separately from the acceptance to let you know about scholarships.
PS I'm Bates 09

Has anyone gotten confirmation that their deposit was received by Tufts?

Also has anyone heard anything official from Maine Med. about scholarships? I called Vanessa and she told me over the phone and said that the information would be in the mail "soon" but does anyone have any idea how soon "soon" is?

If you call the Tufts admissions office and give them your AAMC number, they can confirm whether or not your deposit has been received. Then just wait for the check to clear!

I have not yet heard about scholarships - OMG fingers crossed!

If you call the Tufts admissions office and give them your AAMC number, they can confirm whether or not your deposit has been received. Then just wait for the check to clear!

I have not yet heard about scholarships - OMG fingers crossed!

If you call Vanessa she can tell you "unofficially" if you've gotten one! Also she said that they give them out all through the process so if you don't get one now you can get one down the road when an original recipient withdraws.

If you call Vanessa she can tell you "unofficially" if you've gotten one! Also she said that they give them out all through the process so if you don't get one now you can get one down the road when an original recipient withdraws.

I want to, but at the same time I feel a little weird about calling. Are they sending out an email/paper notice of whether or not you've been offered a scholarship?

How long did it take everyone to hear back about interviews, etc? I've been complete for more than two months....? should i give up hope? call? thanks for the advice. love, love, love this program!

How long did it take everyone to hear back about interviews, etc? I've been complete for more than two months....? should i give up hope? call? thanks for the advice. love, love, love this program!

Let's see... timeline:

Submitted: June 1
Secondary Invite: Aug 10
Application Complete Notification: Sept 14
Interview Invite Received: Sept 24
Interview Date: Oct 29

I know that the program continues interviewing through January and February, here's hoping you get an invite soon!

Complete 9/23 Interview invite 11/15 for 12/17

For anyone that was wondering also: I called Vanessa earlier to ask about when we'd get official scholarship information and she said that she accidentally botched the letter to recipients and just got back the official signed letters from the guy that had to sign them and she's putting them in the mail TODAY!

I'm interviewing on 2/18, can any of you who have already gone post a more detailed description of the day, interview style, question types, etc. The SDN interview feedback forum only has Tufts Med, and the interview (I imagine) will probably be slightly different from their traditional approach (and isn't it a different group of people interviewing us anyway...?). Any additional info greatly appreciated!

I'm interviewing on 2/18, can any of you who have already gone post a more detailed description of the day, interview style, question types, etc. The SDN interview feedback forum only has Tufts Med, and the interview (I imagine) will probably be slightly different from their traditional approach (and isn't it a different group of people interviewing us anyway...?). Any additional info greatly appreciated!

Read Mainer207's description. My interview was in December and much the same. Yes, different interviewers.

Hey guys I was also hoping for some extra info regarding the interview. I have mine coming up next weekend. I'm an out-of-stater who didn't go to undergraduate in Maine either, so I'm wondering how hard they're going to press me about my connection to Maine. Did they really stress the need for a desire to practice in Maine? I actually do love the state, and I've been there every summer my entire life, and love the program. Will I have to prove that?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Hey guys I was also hoping for some extra info regarding the interview. I have mine coming up next weekend. I'm an out-of-stater who didn't go to undergraduate in Maine either, so I'm wondering how hard they're going to press me about my connection to Maine. Did they really stress the need for a desire to practice in Maine? I actually do love the state, and I've been there every summer my entire life, and love the program. Will I have to prove that?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Also OOS who vacationed in Maine. They didn't even ask about it. Discussion was about other things in the application like medical experience and other interests.

The waiting is killing me!!!!! Does anybody have any advice? I had my application complete back in October, I haven't heard from the majority of schools and still no interviews anywhere!

The waiting is killing me!!!!! Does anybody have any advice? I had my application complete back in October, I haven't heard from the majority of schools and still no interviews anywhere!

If I were you, I would do the old "hope for the best, plan for the worst". It's getting pretty late in the season for interviews. I applied Maine track last year, and will be applying again this summer. I got an interview last year and it was pretty shortly after submitting the secondary. If you were complete in October, chances are not good, sorry to say.

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and if this is really what you want to do, then find out what went wrong (call the schools that rejected you), fix those things, and apply again. I can tell you that Bob Bing You appreciates the drive and tenacity of those with the will to reapply (hopefully enough to get me in next time!). Good luck to you.

p.s. Bowdoin rules, hehe.

I wouldn't panic yet. IMO, it means you are still in the mix and that they are waiting until after they conduct their first couple of tiers of interviews to see how many slots remain for more borderline candidates. I know plenty of people who were interviewed in March and subsequently accepted to great schools.

Can someone tell me how exactly applying to Tufts Maine Track is different from applying to Tufts Medical School? Do you have to submit 2 applications, write different/more secondaries, etc.?

I have always wanted to go to Tufts medical and I am deeply interested in rural practice...

Can someone tell me how exactly applying to Tufts Maine Track is different from applying to Tufts Medical School? Do you have to submit 2 applications, write different/more secondaries, etc.?

I have always wanted to go to Tufts medical and I am deeply interested in rural practice...
Applying is I think 3 or 4 extra essays on the Tufts application. In terms of attending, you start school a little earlier to do some orientation in Maine, then from half-way through your first year through your second year you do 2 days every other week at a rural clinic in Maine (all travel expenses paid and this is while your classmates are doing similar things in Boston). Third year is 9 months in Maine, either a Longitudinal Clerkship in a rural hospital (or Maine Med) or traditional rotations at Maine Med in Portland. Fourth year seems pretty typical, time for interviewing, sub-Is and the like. But all the administration sounds really awesome and it sounds like a really really great program.

I am sold. Do you submit an application through AMCAS? How and where does the "Maine track" enter the application process?

Sorry for asking stupid questions I could answer myself, feel free to ignore. But if you have the knowledge at hand or in mind... I'm a bit brain-frazzled right now.

I have good numbers and a long history with working with underserved populations medically, politically and educationally. Is there anything else I need to be a good applicant for this program? I have only been to Maine once, to hike part of the Appalachian trail. Will this be a big problem for me? I have some friends from Maine...

I am sold. Do you submit an application through AMCAS? How and where does the "Maine track" enter the application process?

Sorry for asking stupid questions I could answer myself, feel free to ignore. But if you have the knowledge at hand or in mind... I'm a bit brain-frazzled right now.

I have good numbers and a long history with working with underserved populations medically, politically and educationally. Is there anything else I need to be a good applicant for this program? I have only been to Maine once, to hike part of the Appalachian trail. Will this be a big problem for me? I have some friends from Maine...

As far as I understand it, the ultimate goal of the Maine Track program is to retain quality physicians for the state of Maine. There is also the factor of the significant amount of no strings attached scholarship money doled out to each class. Therefore, IMO it is logical to conclude that if given two remotely comparable candidates, they're going to select the one most likely to stay in or return to Maine to practice. Residency programs in Maine are limited in their scope, and that multi-year window where young docs leave is a huge financial risk to MaineMed and the state. To me, and I could be wrong, that means demonstrating some sort of connection to this state, be it emotional, geographical, familial, etc. is imperative on your part and critically important in their admissions decision-making. As a state, Maine is so financially strapped that it can ill afford to give out $100,000, regardless of the funding source, to someone coming here for 2 years and not returning. Given the limited number of spots and the likelihood of increasing applicant numbers each year, I'm guessing that a hike along the AT is probably not, in their view, a significant tie to the state. That being said, the program itself is so great that you should definitely apply if it's appealing to you. Its innovation, quality of personnel, and curriculum are reason enough for anyone to apply, regardless of where you are from. Lots of people come to Maine from elsewhere, fall in love with the state, and remain as permanent residents. I'm sure the admissions committee is well aware of that fact. Plus, if there are not 36 strong candidates with Maine connections, I'm guessing they would rather have a highly qualified, enthusiastic person with little Maine ties over someone more Mainecentric but with a marginal track record. At the very least, you should really think about whether or not you would want to live and work here for your career and why, and be able to articulate it convincingly. But of course this is all just speculation based upon my own experiences and research. The actual application process is essentially an extension of the Tufts part 2. There is an additional online component specific to Maine Track that requires a few short answer responses, but that's about it.

Thanks ne for your informative response! Yes, a hike is not significant ties; I would never conclude that. I will still apply. Thank you again.

Thanks ne for your informative response! Yes, a hike is not significant ties; I would never conclude that. I will still apply. Thank you again.
I recently interviewed there and there were maybe 12 students there that day and only 1 was from Maine. I believe they also look for applicants from rural areas who have a stated interest in rural medicine (and if i remember correctly, everywhere there was from a rural area).

For anyone that was wondering also: I called Vanessa earlier to ask about when we'd get official scholarship information and she said that she accidentally botched the letter to recipients and just got back the official signed letters from the guy that had to sign them and she's putting them in the mail TODAY!

Ugh, does this mean I should give up hope of receiving a scholarship? Darnnnnnnnn

Anyone know if we can use estimated numbers for all of the financial aid application materials for Tufts on the March 11th deadline, or does it all have to be the final numbers by then? My parents don't meet with their tax person until the 15th, and I'm not sure what to do exactly...

And oh yeah, I know a whole bunch of people applying for the program and 2 in the early assurance who are definitely doing it, seems like it's really popular!

Any acceptance calls this week?

Anyone know if we can use estimated numbers for all of the financial aid application materials for Tufts on the March 11th deadline, or does it all have to be the final numbers by then? My parents don't meet with their tax person until the 15th, and I'm not sure what to do exactly...

I think right on the application, or on the financial aid website, it says you can estimate (but don't take my word for it!). But, I know at least for my job, I can see copies of my expected W2s online in my employee account, which should be accurate.

Hey Everyone, I am about to take my MCAT next month and then apply to medical school this June. The Tufts Maine Tracks program is my number one choice and i was wondering if those of you accepted could give me some advice. My GPA is a 3.82 and assuming i get a 30 (that is roughly my practice test scores), do I have a good chance of getting in? I am a Maine resident with research and clinical experience. Did anyone get in with a lower MCAT just in case I don't score that well? Any help would be great, thanks!

Hey Everyone, I am about to take my MCAT next month and then apply to medical school this June. The Tufts Maine Tracks program is my number one choice and i was wondering if those of you accepted could give me some advice. My GPA is a 3.82 and assuming i get a 30 (that is roughly my practice test scores), do I have a good chance of getting in? I am a Maine resident with research and clinical experience. Did anyone get in with a lower MCAT just in case I don't score that well? Any help would be great, thanks!

I think you'll be fine. I really got the impression that the interview counts a lot; I came away feeling as though my interviewers were more interested in WHO I am as a person, rather than having perfect test scores. Not that scores don't count, but I think that if you're taking the MCAT for the first time and getting at least a 30, you're in good shape. Good luck!

Let's talk housing; for those of you who are matriculating into the program, what are your thoughts? Are you going to try and live in the "dorms" on campus, or going for an off-campus apt? What about roommate searches? Considering that we start Aug 1, it's not a super convenient time to grab an apt... too bad that most people move in/out Sept 1. Subletting for a month? Any definite plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.