2010-2011 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got an interview invite on 12/14 and will interview on 1/28 (2011?!). IS/3.9/32, with my secondary being submitted late October.

I would gladly take any advice for the interview to anyone on here who has interviewed at the U or elsewhere, as this will be the first (and possibly only) interview I have, i.e what questions to expect, what questions to ask (what information would be good for me to consider or what you wish you would have asked), and just general comments about what to expect that day. It would be much appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Koliber! Congrats on the interview and the awesome stats. I interviewed here earlier this month, and it was the least stressful of my interviews so far, and I've been to five schools already. The day is pretty standard as far as interviews go. We had the Dean introduce us to the school (there were three other interviewees), then the financial aid person gave us brief overview of cost and budgeting. then I had a morning faculty interview. questions were very standard, though my interviewer talked a lot more than I did. Basically, about yourself, why medicine, why the U, etc. Then there was the student interview which was very easy going. Just try to have an easy conversation and enjoy yourself and getting to know the school. Also, there was a nice lunch! :)

Last edited:
I have one more upper division science course to complete in order to fulfill U of MN prerequisite guidelines. Any suggestions as to which class offers the best preparation for the medical school curriculum? I've already had biochem and was thinking about taking microbiology or genetics. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one more upper division science course to complete in order to fulfill U of MN prerequisite guidelines. Any suggestions as to which class offers the best preparation for the medical school curriculum? I've already had biochem and was thinking about taking microbiology or genetics. Thanks!

As a current UMN med student, I would have to say micro will be the most useful for class prep. Genetics is a short series of lectures which cover pretty broad topics, whereas micro is a long course during MS1 and a thread that runs throughout all of MS2.

Quick question for those who have interviewed -

I remember Associate Dean White saying during his presentation "don't send an update letter after ______ because it won't even be looked at".

Is it "don't send an update letter after the interview" or "don't send an update letter after you've been put on the waitlist"? :confused:

I just started a research position at the U of M and would really like to notify them as it's only been 4 weeks since my interview :xf:

Quick question for those who have interviewed -

I remember Associate Dean White saying during his presentation "don't send an update letter after ______ because it won't even be looked at".

Is it "don't send an update letter after the interview" or "don't send an update letter after you've been put on the waitlist"? :confused:

I just started a research position at the U of M and would really like to notify them as it's only been 4 weeks since my interview :xf:
I interviewed 5 weeks ago and I remember he said the adcom wouldn't look at update letters after your interview. He said it would be useless to send anything other than thank you note after that point.

Does the waiting seem unbearable to anyone? :p

So if I have a 3.0 cGPA and 3.15 sGPA, with a 36T and am OOS, is it even worth applying to the UofM? I do have strong ties to the state and school (my wife got her undergrad at the UofM and is from the twin cities). I additionally have 6 years in the Air Force, and many great non-medical ECs with some good medical ECs.

Would good performance in an SMP help my cause?

Thanks!

Got a call from Dean White today!

Received secondary 9/7 (last secondary I received), invited for an interview on 10/27, attended interview 11/19, and accepted today!

Got a call from Dean White today!

Received secondary 9/7 (last secondary I received), invited for an interview on 10/27, attended interview 11/19, and accepted today!

Congrats!! It looks like calls come in either Tuesdays or Wednesdays? Anyone else hear back? i interviewed Dec. 2, so maybe in the next few weeks...:(

Does anybody know how often the adcom meets at the U of MN regarding the interviewed applicants? This is my first choice school, so just wanted to know.

Does anybody know how often the adcom meets at the U of MN regarding the interviewed applicants? This is my first choice school, so just wanted to know.

The 8 week timeline has been correct for me and my friends.

They say it is going to be 6-8 weeks, but I was lucky and was called after only 5 weeks.

also, someone should start the University of Minnesota facebook group!

Last edited:
ok, next week will be 8 weeks, so I suppose I will be more patient. Thanks all who replied. Wow, 5 weeks is fast. It took six weeks for most schools to get back to me, except Iowa-3 weeks!! But I heard they're fast in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, next week will be 8 weeks, so I suppose I will be more patient. Thanks all who replied. Wow, 5 weeks is fast. It took six weeks for most schools to get back to me, except Iowa-3 weeks!! But I heard they're fast in general.

Loyola got back to me in less than 2.5 weeks, as well. It was awesome.

I interviewed at the U of M first week of December and haven't heard anything yet, either.... end of this week will be 7 weeks for me :xf:

AHHHHH! :laugh:

Well I think I am the record holder for this cycle so far. I have been waiting for 10 weeks with no word. I called last week and was told I had just been put into final review and would hear within 2 weeks. From what I can tell from the rest of the thread this year it seems like Dean White calls every 2 weeks on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. He called last week and this week has been silent as far as SDN goes. I am hoping against hope that there is a phone call for me next week. Until then I will continue being terrified of my mailbox. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

Well I think I am the record holder for this cycle so far. I have been waiting for 10 weeks with no word. I called last week and was told I had just been put into final review and would hear within 2 weeks. From what I can tell from the rest of the thread this year it seems like Dean White calls every 2 weeks on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. He called last week and this week has been silent as far as SDN goes. I am hoping against hope that there is a phone call for me next week. Until then I will continue being terrified of my mailbox. Good luck to everyone else who is waiting.

I hope there is a call for all of us waiting here. All the best! :xf:

What is the likelihood of getting in off the alternate list at Duluth? Twin Cities? I am sure it varies quite a bit, but I'm guessing it is somewhere around 50%. Thoughts?

Aaah! :scared: I keep running to the phone every time it rings and scared to death every time I open mail from the U of M. Yesterday, I got my w-2 from my lab earnings and I freaked just seeing a thin envelope with University of Minnesota! +pity+

What is the likelihood of getting in off the alternate list at Duluth? Twin Cities? I am sure it varies quite a bit, but I'm guessing it is somewhere around 50%. Thoughts?

I have no idea... maybe try calling the admissions offices to ask both how long they are and how many people got off of them last year.

did you recently get put on one (or both) of them?

Aaah! :scared: I keep running to the phone every time it rings and scared to death every time I open mail from the U of M. Yesterday, I got my w-2 from my lab earnings and I freaked just seeing a thin envelope with University of Minnesota! +pity+

Same here! I actually saw this thread was bumped just after I checked my e-mail & voicemail and my stomach dropped lol. I work in NHH and get pretty much zero reception...

I got the call from Dean White just now! Definitely going here. Good luck everyone!

I got the call from Dean White just now! Definitely going here. Good luck everyone!

After I saw this post I went and checked my voicemail... ACCEPTED! I literally broke down crying... I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.

Ok, enough sentimental crap. I'll see you this fall!!!!

Me too! Interviewed 12/3. Got the voicemail around noon.

Absolutely loved this school when I visited!!

After I saw this post I went and checked my voicemail... ACCEPTED! I literally broke down crying... I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.

So I was freaking out because I didn't get a call today so I called the admissions office. They told me something interesting. Apparently, both interviewers have to be at the committee meeting in order for a decision to be made on an application, maybe that's obvious but I just assumed that they just submitted reports. I guess one of my interviewers is quite busy. I was expressly told that I have not received a decision and I will hopefully hear after the next committee meeting. It looks like I will be at 12-13 weeks before I find out. I have hated Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the past month. Hopefully there will be a good one soon. Congrats to all those who heard.

Great.. Now i'm worried. I interviewed 12/3 also and haven't heard yet. Balissar who was your interviewer?

Yep, it was a great feeling!! So excited!! Now, I gotta write rejection letters to the other schools that accepted me (lol). No, a humble thanks but no thanks will prolly do. :)

So I was freaking out because I didn't get a call today so I called the admissions office. They told me something interesting. Apparently, both interviewers have to be at the committee meeting in order for a decision to be made on an application, maybe that's obvious but I just assumed that they just submitted reports. I guess one of my interviewers is quite busy. I was expressly told that I have not received a decision and I will hopefully hear after the next committee meeting. It looks like I will be at 12-13 weeks before I find out. I have hated Tuesdays and Wednesdays for the past month. Hopefully there will be a good one soon. Congrats to all those who heard.

Yeah, some interviewers are just so busy with their research that going to adcom meetings never fits their schedule. Nevertheless, it sucks waiting this long. I really hope you get it, you sound like you've been extremely patient.:luck:

I don't know about the Minneapolis campus, but for Duluth I was told they break it into top-quarter, 2nd-quarter and bottom half once they rank the waitlist. In an average year everyone gets in from the top quarter, 50-50 shot in the 2nd quarter, almost no chance in the bottom half. So that sounds like about 35-40%? Obviously it'll vary from year to year though.

Someone should start a Twin-Cities facebook group!! I notice Duluth already has a group, so we should get on that... :)

Someone should start a Twin-Cities facebook group!! I notice Duluth already has a group, so we should get on that... :)

Haha, yes, then maybe I would join facebook. Don't currently have an account, which irritates my friends to no end. OMG, they actually have to see me, call me, text me, or email me to find out how I'm doing. LOL!:laugh:

Just got my acceptance package!! So exciting, but not the part about the $100 deposit.

I agree! So I did it (I was sick of being passive and waiting for someone else to do it). Please join and invite others who you know are coming to U of MN next year. I honestly don't know anyone else yet....

Here's the link! ^^

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_191619870865727

congrats to those of you who were accepted! I am curious, what are the UMD secondary questions? I know they have additional questions about rural and family practice. Thanks! I'll be applying this upcoming cycle, and want to have pretty much everything set to go before the time comes around...

Just got my waitlist letter four weeks after my interview. I knew it was a long shot getting in from out of state, but I was really hoping to get in here. Oh well...

Waitlisted after 12 weeks. IS. I decided to call this week after not hearing anything. There was a long pause after she looked up my name and then she said "oh...interesting...you'll probably hear something this week." Got the letter yesterday. All that waiting and now more waiting. I thought my interviews went really well too.

Waitlisted after 12 weeks. IS. I decided to call this week after not hearing anything. There was a long pause after she looked up my name and then she said "oh...interesting...you'll probably hear something this week." Got the letter yesterday. All that waiting and now more waiting. I thought my interviews went really well too.

Waitlisted yesterday also after 10 weeks... IS. Also thought my interview went really well. The med student even told me that if it were completely up to him he would accept me right away.

Hey!

Congrats to everyone accepted to the University of Minnesota! I just wanted to let everyone know about an amazing housing opportunity for next year. I'm a current MS-1 and I live at Phi Rho Sigma, a coed medical frat here, and it is great! If you aren't used to living in a fraternity, don't worry. I wasn't either, and this is not anything like a typical undergrad frat. Feel free to message me with any questions about the U or about Phi Rho if you are interested. Also, check out the beautiful people you could be living with next year!

http://student.med.umn.edu/phirho/members/members.php

Anybody had the pleasure of driving through the side-streets? Cars are parked on one side and only one lane has been plowed on the other. I pray that no cars are coming the opposite direction because if I slow down to less than 10 mph I'm guaranteed to be stuck. If I didn't know any better I'd think this winter was the first time the city of Minneapolis had ever seen a snow-storm with the poor job they've done of clearing off the streets (main roads they do a great job, but the residential neighborhoods, terrible):mad:

When will applications for class of 2015 for Phi Rho begin?

february 11 or something like that 2 weeks ago so i still have to wait some time

february 11 or something like that 2 weeks ago so i still have to wait some time

I have an interview coming up on March 11th...probably one of the last dates this year. I'm OOS but did my undergrad in MN. So excited to visit the school!

Did they let you know about how long post-interview decisions take? Hope you hear good news soon!:xf:

I have an interview coming up on March 11th...probably one of the last dates this year. I'm OOS but did my undergrad in MN. So excited to visit the school!

Did they let you know about how long post-interview decisions take? Hope you hear good news soon!:xf:

you guys (or gals) have some time to wait lol.... decisions seem to be pretty consistently given around 6-8 weeks post interview (which is what Associate Dean White tells everyone at the interview). I got my acceptance call 2 days short of 8 weeks post interview.

Good luck! :thumbup:

when did you recieve your invite? does anyone know when they stop inteviewing?

when did you recieve your invite? does anyone know when they stop inteviewing?

Received my invite Feb 16th. March 10, 11, 14 and 21 were the dates offered. I'm not sure whether they interview into April or not. According to past years forums I think they may.

I just want to know where i'm going to go! That way i can start shopping for winter clothing if i end up somewhere that is really cold hehe

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Definitely sick of being asked by everyone I know if I've heard anything yet:thumbdown:. Let's hope we're near the top:xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.