2010-2011 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats Dancepants! Would you mind sharing us some of your stats (MCAT, GPA, etc.)?

Thank You! I am an Oklahoma resident and am a reapplicant. I have a 3.55 GPA and sGPA, but 3.9 for the past two years with two Bs degrees. 10/10/10 S MCAT. I have around 300+ hours of community service, shadowing, and health related experience. I'm looking forward to meeting my fellow classmates and am keeping my fingers crossed for those of you who are still waiting to hear back! Good Luck!

Also, if anyone has experience with the SCM track, would you please PM me? I have a few questions!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance BRE. This is my fifth application with OU, and I can barely contain my excitement :soexcited:

Thanks to all of you for your support. Five years is a long time, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

Did you get the background check email by any chance?

I just got my acceptance BRE. This is my fifth application with OU, and I can barely contain my excitement :soexcited:

Thanks to all of you for your support. Five years is a long time, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! You definitely deserve it, way to keep at it, and have fun framing those letters!

Members don't see this ad :)

CONGRATS PHANGE! YAY! I'm also curious to know if you got one of those background emails from AMCAS. Would love to join you soon! :xf:

Yes I got a background email. I think it was on Wednesday. Sounds like a pattern :)

Good luck to the rest of you, I hope you all get in!

I got my letter today and I'm one of the 66 that are waitlisted. Good luck to everyone else.

Thanks for all the help and support, guys. Looking up financial aid has been very eye-opening, though :)

Congrats to all the newly accepted!

Has everybody figured out where they're living next year? I've been looking around at apartments and houses near campus that aren't too expensive. The really nice places like Deep Deuce and Lincoln on Central Park are out of my budget unfortunately.

I've found one house for rent however that's a ten minute drive from school and is pretty reasonably priced (3 bedrooms for $825). I haven't gone to look at it in person yet, but was wondering first if there are any female students out there that'd be interested in sharing a rented house. I'm looking for something that would cost around $250-350 a month per person and at least ten mintes from campus. thanks!

Has everybody figured out where they're living next year? I've been looking around at apartments and houses near campus that aren't too expensive. The really nice places like Deep Deuce and Lincoln on Central Park are out of my budget unfortunately.

I've found one house for rent however that's a ten minute drive from school and is pretty reasonably priced (3 bedrooms for $825). I haven't gone to look at it in person yet, but was wondering first if there are any female students out there that'd be interested in sharing a rented house. I'm looking for something that would cost around $250-350 a month per person and at least ten mintes from campus. thanks!

I just started investigating housing. Is there still any shot at University Village (or whatever it's called?)

I'm probably going for an apartment instead of a house and I'm looking for a roommate (male), but I'd greatly prefer university village if it's still available.

Congratulations to those accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

Apparently there is an admissions blog that might be helpful to some:
http://ou-medblog.blogspot.com/

Has anyone done or heard anything about the summer research fellowship in pathology? Looks like it might be interesting. The application doesn't work though...:confused:

Congrats to those accepted. If you weren't accepted, I would attend the reapplication workshop. Even if you were wait listed. The school's official position is not to disclose your position on the wait list. Yet going to the workshop you can somewhat gather an idea of your position. If you have any questions about the process or first year just ask

Yes I got a background email. I think it was on Wednesday. Sounds like a pattern :)

Good luck to the rest of you, I hope you all get in!

Phange! I had seen that you posted in here and decided to take a look after seeing all of your posts on the OSU thread. Omg congrats!!!!! You deserve it :)

I am looking to room with people so I would definitely be interested in what you find.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted on March 10th and submitted my acceptance on the 14th. Was I supposed to get a username/password for Hippocrates yet?

I am currently a first year female med student, and my current roommate is moving this August so I am looking for another roommate.

The apartment is a little over 1,200 sq. ft., 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, outdoor patio, and fireplace. The apartment complex has a pool, hot tub, outdoor grill, and is a gated complex.

Located only 2 miles from OUHSC, within bicycling distance.

Rent is $490/mo. plus 1/2 of utilities

Move-in date is flexible, 1 year lease preferred. Email [email protected] for those interested.

Photos are online if you google 'Sycamore Square South', located on Robert S. Kerr Ave., or I can give a tour for those who are in town and want to see the place in-person

Last edited:
I've done everything they've asked as far as admissions go (submitted final transcript, acceptance letter, FAFSA, etc). Is there really nothing I can do in terms of progressing with financial aid or enrollment? Or is that essentially the purpose of Second Visit Day on April 16th?

I've done everything they've asked as far as admissions go (submitted final transcript, acceptance letter, FAFSA, etc). Is there really nothing I can do in terms of progressing with financial aid or enrollment? Or is that essentially the purpose of Second Visit Day on April 16th?

Relax big guy. I know you're excited about starting, but classes don't start for over 4 months. No one really knows how to progress with financial aid. If you've filled out your FAFSA, that's all you can do. You'll either get an e-mail or a letter (or both) sometime late April-May outlining your financial aid. It's really simple and doesn't take long for them to process once it's been awarded. Enrollment is the same way. There's nothing you can do.

As far as Second Visit Day is concerned, it's more just a chance to see the school again (albeit this time in a much less stressful situation) and meet your future classmates. Some people even make roommate arrangements at Second Visit Day.

What I would do now is enjoy what time is left of your freedom. I remember being excited to start, so I understand that enjoying your freedom is easier said than done. You have to keep in mind though, once you start medical school, the rest of your life is medicine. There's no taking 2 months off to go to Europe. The next chance you'll get to do that will be retirement. Good luck to all!

Any current students know where we can find a match list for this year?

Has anyone heard if the waitlist has moved at all?

Most of the waitlist movement happens as the May 15 AAMC deadline approaches and applicants holding multiple acceptances must choose one. I'm sure there will be occasional movement until then, but that will be the time with the most action. Keep your fingers crossed until then and even if you don't get your BRE around that time keep the faith, they offer spots all the way up until school starts.

Looking forward to meeting some of you on Saturday!

I got my BRE this week dated April 11th. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

I got my BRE this week dated April 11th. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

tab26, CONGRATS! would you mind sharing any of your stats for us still waiting? and did you get one of those background-check emails?

I am a reapplicant with slightly below average gpa, while working 50+ hours a week during undergrad, with a 28P on the mcat. I also have been working in anatomical pathology for a year so I basically get 40 hrs of shadowing a week. I did not get a background check email.

Last edited:
Hey we're looking for a third female, nonsmoking roommate to live in the Lincoln Central Park Apartments! It's a ten minute drive from campus and looks really nice. Rent will be $415 before utilities. Anyone interested, please message me!

Does anyone know how we can see financial aid awards (if they are up?)

They aren't up yet (at least mine isn't), but you can check by logging in at gohsc.ouhsc.edu and looking under Finances.

They aren't up yet (at least mine isn't), but you can check by logging in at gohsc.ouhsc.edu and looking under Finances.

Weird, I can log onto my email account but not that site.

I've had my FAFSA in for a while so I called the Fin Aid Office and they told me that award packages should begin rolling out out on May 1.

Has anyone else heard about the waitlist moving along? Based on last year's blog, around 20 people had been taken off the waitlist by now according to a user that contacted Dotty.

Has anyone else heard about the waitlist moving along? Based on last year's blog, around 20 people had been taken off the waitlist by now according to a user that contacted Dotty.

It's trickled and seems like it varies year by year. I think a couple days after the deadline for holding multiple offers ends is when you will see a lot of movement.

Well, I'll be withdrawing sometime in the next few days, so there will be one spot opening up... good luck to everyone, and enjoy OKC! :)

Have you emailed her? I asked her last Friday and the Friday before and she said 12 people have been taken off both times (12 total as of last Friday). Your turn, email her and report back :)

Last edited:
I've been trying to email Dotty the past couple of weeks concerning reapplicant advice and haven't received a response, so if anyone does hear from her, please let me know! (I'm secretly hoping she isn't responding because she is about to send me a BRE... I can hope, right?) :)

I've been trying to email Dotty the past couple of weeks concerning reapplicant advice and haven't received a response, so if anyone does hear from her, please let me know! (I'm secretly hoping she isn't responding because she is about to send me a BRE... I can hope, right?) :)

lol hopefully that is the reason!

i asked her how many people have been taken off. she responded right away- 12, but i am in the 'fat chance' section of the waitlist so she prob has no problem telling me. good luck hope u get good news soon!

Grrr that's frustrating. I sent another email, but to no avail. Still no response. Also, mnoon -- how do you know where you are on waitlist..?? Please share your secrets!

Grrr that's frustrating. I sent another email, but to no avail. Still no response. Also, mnoon -- how do you know where you are on waitlist..?? Please share your secrets!

Are you trying to ask for too much details? I literally ask "hi could you tell me how many people have been accepted from waitlist? Thank you"

I went to reapplicant work shop the committee member who reviewed my app and gave advice for next cycle said he couldn't be specific but could tell us generals: told guy next to me he was in "top half" and told me I was "not in top half but not in bottom quarter either". Maybe you could ask her if she could give you an idea of if you were in top or bottom half of waitlist.

I can email her again next Friday if you want, I just don't want her to think I'm an obsessive freak for emailing her so often.:p

Having been waitlisted before, I can sympathize with how frustrating and emotionally draining it is. All I can say is - don't overanalyze things. Every time there was movement, I tried to figure out where I could possibly be on the list and if my chances were improving and on and on and on. It'll wear you out after a month or so. Generally speaking there's a big spike in movement in May, and if you don't get taken this month, stay cautiously optimistic but also be sure to retake your MCAT and prepare your next application. In the past, I made the mistake of sitting on the wait list until August without reapplying and it wasn't beneficial in the slightest.

All I can say is - don't overanalyze things. Every time there was movement, I tried to figure out where I could possibly be on the list and if my chances were improving and on and on and on.

Phange, you are talking to sdners. waitlisters NOT on here probably dont overanalyze things. :laugh:

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the reapplicant workshop -- I work in a hospital and we were extremely short staffed so I couldn't get off. But Dotty said she would advise me via email if I emailed her some time in April. Well, I've emailed her multiple times and still no response. There's not much else I can do other than start the reapplication process, right? Ugh. I would really like to know if I'm in the top or bottom half of the waitlist though! That'd be nice!

I might try Sara. Dotty probably gets flooded with emails from everyone. I emailed like five months ago and I think my email directly links to her spam box.

I agree with phange. I wasn't waitlisted last year but don't wait on the waitlist. You've only got a short turnaround to reapply the cycle is starting next month. Taking the MCAT which is the best short term method of improving your application. Also consider some extraucurriculars. or a summer class and then submitting the application. whatever to help improve the app.

Retaking the MCAT for reapplicants is key. It's the best quickest way to show improvement. Even like two or three points is very noticeable by admissions people.

However a .1 or .2 gpa increase is not as noticeable (edit) compared to a two or three point bump on the MCAT.

I think like 50 to 60% of waitlisters get in.

Alright futuredrme not to fuel your (or mine) obsessiveness ... Just called dotty she said 20 have been taken off. She said that's an average amount for them- and that it wasn't more or less than usual, just pretty average.

If it helps you analyze the situation to death (which I am guilty of doing and enjoy doing) I can tell you that at the reapp workshop they said the final waitlist is made such that they take half your mcat score and half your gpa and add them up. He said it's taken out to the fourth decimal place and some ppl are within fractions of each other.

I had a 3.73 and 25R if that helps you any; out of 66 I'm in 3rd quarter (33-46).

Good luck and yes start your app for next cycle asap!

Ok, I've been confused about the George Kaiser Financial Incentives Program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it pays for not only tuition, but also room/board/books/supplies/etc, right?

I wonder how they allocate funds? Do they pay off your tuition and then give you a monthly stipend?

Ok, I've been confused about the George Kaiser Financial Incentives Program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it pays for not only tuition, but also room/board/books/supplies/etc, right?

I wonder how they allocate funds? Do they pay off your tuition and then give you a monthly stipend?

This is from the agreement you signed
"The medical student will receive a scholarship for 100% of the instate tuition and fees per semester for up to four years of medical school. If a student receives other scholarship benefits and financial awards, these will be paid first."
"The award will be in the form of a reduction of educational expense incurred by the recipient on a semester basis."

So it looks like it just pays for tuition and fees, basically sets your bursar equal to 0 at the beginning of each semester.

This is from the agreement you signed
"The medical student will receive a scholarship for 100% of the instate tuition and fees per semester for up to four years of medical school. If a student receives other scholarship benefits and financial awards, these will be paid first."
"The award will be in the form of a reduction of educational expense incurred by the recipient on a semester basis."

So it looks like it just pays for tuition and fees, basically sets your bursar equal to 0 at the beginning of each semester.

I read that; the problem is that it conflicts with what I've heard from students and from OU. Maybe I'll just call and ask :)

EDIT: I called, it is only tuition and fees. I guess taking loans for just room and board isn't bad, though.

I read that; the problem is that it conflicts with what I've heard from students and from OU. Maybe I'll just call and ask :)

EDIT: I called, it is only tuition and fees. I guess taking loans for just room and board isn't bad, though.

40K instead of 200K is always good

COM scholarship letters are out, in case anyone was wondering. gohsc hasn't been updated to include them yet, though.

COM scholarship letters are out, in case anyone was wondering. gohsc hasn't been updated to include them yet, though.

Knitress, do you mean to say that you have information that the letters have been mailed out, or that people have received them? In other words, should I be frantically checking the box today :p?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.