2010-2011 University of Texas - Southwestern Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview invite 10 minutes ago!

*Edit: Application complete email came in on 8/17! I must have just caught the next batch.

Very nice.. Good luck with it! When is your interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an interview invite for Sept 11 as well!!!!! Soooooooo excited!!!!!! My top choice!!!!!!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
For all those that got a regular interview, what were your number stats (GPA, MCAT) - if you don't mind me asking, I just want to see where I stand. Thanks all and congrats to you!!!

I have a question that you guys might be able to help me with. I didn't apply to any Texas schools (since I'm OOS) but I did fill out most of TMDSAS and had already sent my transcripts there over a month ago. I was originally going to apply to UTSW but changed my mind.

However, I'll be doing full-time research at the UTSW Medical Center this coming year and was wondering whether you guys think that this connection might be good enough to apply, though I'll be late. Any advice?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because the research is in a field that's of great interest to me and if, due a ton of luck, I can get accepted here, I would like to stay so I can continue research in the same lab during the preclinical years.

Interview invite!!! Stats 35-37 MCAT, ~3.8 cGPA, ~3.9 sGPA. Very very excited!

Congrats and thanks for posting your stats! You have amazing numbers! :)

For all those that got a regular interview, what were your number stats (GPA, MCAT) - if you don't mind me asking, I just want to see where I stand. Thanks all and congrats to you!!!

Nowhere near these numbers! MCAT lower 30s, gpa ~3.7.

I got an interview invite for Sept. 11th as well.

I took the MCAT twice, got a 31 the first time around and a 32 the second time. Yeah, I know...:smack::wtf:

sGPA: 4.0
cGPA: 3.95

Congrats and thanks for posting your stats! You have amazing numbers! :)

Thanks, I hope you get an interview here soon! Seems like a pretty awesome school

Kaushik,
You should definitely go for it. No secondary fee + great school. I'm pretty sure they would look pretty favorably on your upcoming research (shows you're interested in their program).

Congrats on the interviews guys!! We just started school this week, but I'm happy to try and answer any questions y'all might have about Southwestern. We've only had 3 days of class but so far I love it! Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Invited for 9/18--OOS, regular MD applicant.
Are you guys with 9/11 interviews IS or OOS? I'm wondering if they're doing out of state people together on a different day than the in state people.

Got an interview invite about 15 minutes ago (I wonder who sends these emails). IS, 34MCAT. Quick question for everyone, is the Friday program "optional" or is it actually required. I know they said you can schedule it later, but are we evaluated during the Friday program? Or is it just for our information??

My understanding is that it's there only if you want to go. The afternoon session seems to have a lot of good info, but judging you based on whether or not you go to supposedly optional clinical rounds would be stupid.

If you can't go to the stuff on Friday I wouldn't be too stressed about it.

Got an interview invite about 15 minutes ago (I wonder who sends these emails). IS, 34MCAT. Quick question for everyone, is the Friday program "optional" or is it actually required. I know they said you can schedule it later, but are we evaluated during the Friday program? Or is it just for our information??
The Friday program is just FYI. Its good if you can go, you learn a lot, but if it doesn't work for you, no one will think twice about it.

Thanks for the quick response Cole and KTD. Hopefully I can run into some of you guys at the interview.

Just a bit of info for those waiting for interviews from UTSW: the admissions dean came to our school a few months ago and said that if you have at least a 32 MCAT and 3.7 GPA that you're guaranteed an interview (no exaggerations, this is exactly what he said) and if you don't have those stats, you need to have expressed an interest in at least one of the 4 main missions of UTSW (first question of secondary app) to be considered...in case this helps y'all :)

I was kinda shocked at how clear cut his criteria were...good or bad, i dunno

Wow, it looks like the clinical rounds program for the 9/25 interview has filled up already :(. I guess I shouldn't have waited until after I bought plane tickets to RSVP.

Just a bit of info for those waiting for interviews from UTSW: the admissions dean came to our school a few months ago and said that if you have at least a 32 MCAT and 3.7 GPA that you're guaranteed an interview (no exaggerations, this is exactly what he said) and if you don't have those stats, you need to have expressed an interest in at least one of the 4 main missions of UTSW (first question of secondary app) to be considered...in case this helps y'all :)

I was kinda shocked at how clear cut his criteria were...good or bad, i dunno

Wow. I have a 3.70 exactly and a 33 mcat. I would like to think there was something special about my application that got me an interview.

September 25th.

Wow, it looks like the clinical rounds program for the 9/25 interview has filled up already :(. I guess I shouldn't have waited until after I bought plane tickets to RSVP.

Grah! I just noticed this too. I guess I'll sign up for the week before? But I can go to the dinner on the 24th still. Thank goodness I have family in Dallas. I'll be doing a lot of driving, it looks like.

Last edited:
What time on Saturday does UTSW end its interviews? The schedule has "Tour of the Bryan Williams, M.D. Student Center" scheduled for 2:30 but doesn't say how long that will last. I'm thinking about booking a flight out of DFW at 6:30pm but don't know if that is too early.

What time on Saturday does UTSW end its interviews? The schedule has "Tour of the Bryan Williams, M.D. Student Center" scheduled for 2:30 but doesn't say how long that will last. I'm thinking about booking a flight out of DFW at 6:30pm but don't know if that is too early.

The tour last year was really short AND optional. The student center is just like gym/study space/ lounge. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to have but doesn't take more than 15 min to look at and you can always just leave if it's getting late. I think 630 is fine. You don't need to be at the airport before 530 you have more than enough time to get there.

Is there any way to know who your interviewers are before your interview date?

For those who are attending both the friday programs, what do y'all plan on wearing? The guidelines say to have business attire (which I guess would be a suit) for the clinical rounds and business casual in the afternoon...I live in dallas, but don't wanna have to change in between, and I don't wanna look over/under dressed at either event...

For those who are attending both the friday programs, what do y'all plan on wearing? The guidelines say to have business attire (which I guess would be a suit) for the clinical rounds and business casual in the afternoon...I live in dallas, but don't wanna have to change in between, and I don't wanna look over/under dressed at either event...

You should at least wear a shirt and tie for clinical rounds (maybe a suit). For the afternoon, it depends what's going on... are these seminars/lectures? Then you can wear pretty much anything you want. I remember most applicants showing up to the Friday dinners wearing business casual (for guys, shirt & slacks), and some wearing regular school attire. No one really cares honestly as long as you're not being inappropriate. It all really just comes down to your two interviews on that Saturday.

In any case, have a great time and good luck with the interview season.

No interview invite :( 3.99/39. Applied 7/12 (the date payment was received.)
Is there any other late applicant here?

yeah payment received 7/19

got an interview offer today for october.

gpa: 4.0
mcat: 31

im so excited!

Got an interview today for the 25th, but I haven't even started filling out my secondary. If I got an interview, should I even fill it out? I don't mind writing it, but I wouldn't mind not writing it either.

Also, does pushing your interview date back hurt your chances at UTSW? I'm flying in from Hawaii, and I would rather do all my TX interviews in the same week rather than fly back and forth at $800 a trip.

7/12 payment date
10/9 interview date
GPA 3.99
MCAT 39

I suspect that the offered interview date may depend on your TMDSAS transmit date (thus your payment date.) Do you think my guess is correct?

7/12 payment date
10/9 interview date
GPA 3.99
MCAT 39

I suspect that the offered interview date may depend on your TMDSAS transmit date (thus your payment date.) Do you think my guess is correct?

I think that's right. I'm interviewing on 9/25 and my numbers are much lower than yours.

The main thing is that you want to have your interview before the pre-match date (Nov 15). This past year UTSW accepted enough students (~200?) to almost fill their class of 230. A lot of people still do get in later in the year as students withdraw their acceptances, but I think it would definitely be in your best interest to have your interview well before pre-match day.

App transmitted 7/14
"App complete" email 8/10
29S/3.97. MCAT is not good, but I did select boxes on the secondary.

Haven't heard anything yet.

Here's my question: would it be gauche to let them know I'll be in Texas in a few weeks, and hope that this ekes out a response? I'm a CA student, and flying back and forth is getting pricey fast.

App transmitted 7/14
"App complete" email 8/10
29S/3.97. MCAT is not good, but I did select boxes on the secondary.

Haven't heard anything yet.

My app was transmitted 8/04 (payment received 6/28) and I got a complete email on 8/10. 32/3.75; should I be concerned? I read somewhere on the forums that 32/3.7 was the cutoff for "guaranteed" interviews (I think the TMDSAS thread?), but I could be completely making things up.

Last edited:
Just for reference, my TMDSAS was transmitted on Aug. 4th, they received my secondary on Aug. 10, and I got an invite on Aug. 19th. I have over the 32, 3.7, but no where near a 4.0, 39. If you want to know about timing, I would suggest lurking around last year's thread, because I'm sure they all went through similar worries.

I read somewhere on the forums that 32/3.7 was the cutoff for "guaranteed" interviews (I think the TMDSAS thread?), but I could be completely making things up.

I read the same on the TMDSAS thread so you did not make things up.

Just be patient. I think you will hear from them soon.

At some medical school (e.g., Univ. of Michigan), in order to generate a guaranteed invite, three factors are considered: 1) meeting the MCAT cutoff 2) meeting the GPA cutoff 3) the GPA is from a list of schools defined by the medical school. My guess is UTSW will not consider the factor 3). Also, you appear to be from UT-Austin because you were on the dean's list of the liberal art college. So the school name is not an issue here as you are from one of the top 3 Tecas schools.

Last edited:
why do some people get app received emails and some dont?

I'm using my phone's internet and can't find that information in the e-mail or on the site. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here you go.
Invitation pdf said:
On the South Campus
8:00 a.m. Women applicants are invited to join our chapter of the American Medical Women's Association for a continental style breakfast and an opportunity to hear from female students about life at UT Southwestern. The panel is willing to answer ANY question you might have, and they look forward to meeting you bright and early!
9:00 a.m. Welcome
 Overview of the day
 Brief description of clinical facilities, especially Parkland Hospital
10:00 a.m. Interviews (2 @ 25 minutes) plus tour of South Campus and Parkland Hospital (tour guides are 4th year medical students)
Noon Lunch with students
1:00 p.m. Student panel (your chance to ask ANY questions from the real experts)
1:45 p.m. Life in Dallas & Life at Southwestern from the student's perspective
2:30 p.m. Tour of the Bryan Williams, M.D. Student Center
About 3 p.m. The tour concludes.
Come to 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard (intersection with Butler)
Parking in garage 1 or the visitor lot (Lot 7)
Walk down the plaza.
Go down the stairs on either side of the Visitors Center (#26 on the map).
Enter the doors and turn left.

Mine's not for another week. Relax, have fun, and tell us how it goes!!

Got back from the interview and absolutely in love with UTSW!!! Dispelled all the bad rumors I had been hearing! :D

:D Glad you liked it! Feel free to PM me if you think of any other questions/concerns!

Got back from the interview and absolutely in love with UTSW!!! Dispelled all the bad rumors I had been hearing! :D

Yay, congratulations! :)

Can I ask how the interview was? What kind of questions did they ask?

One of my friends was asked to walk his interviewer through the process of tying a shoe. (!?)

same

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.