2010-2011 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats everyone on their acceptance!

But don't lose hope...Yale definitely uses their waitlist and it's far far from a death sentence as with some other schools.

Hoepfully I was waitlisted. I didn't receive an email

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks,

I called the admissions office today to figure out what was going on. As luck would have it, Dean Silverman picked up and we talked for about 12 minutes about how they are doing decisions.

This is what's happening:

1) All people immediately admitted have been notified via email today.
2) Everyone - Admits, waitlisted, rejected - will also receive a snail-mail this week.
3) For the waitlisted, we will also receive a new letter in short time telling us our tier on the waitlist. This letter is independent of the letter we receive this week, and will be sent out I think within a few weeks.
4) Yale has significant waitlist movement because it's difficult to form a class of 100 students right from the start. So don't give up hope.

Hope this provides some clarity to this gut-wrenching process.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was an MD-only acceptance, received 10:06 AM

Do you live on the west coast?

Hi folks,

I called the admissions office today to figure out what was going on. As luck would have it, Dean Silverman picked up and we talked for about 12 minutes about how they are doing decisions.

2) Everyone - Admits, waitlisted, rejected - will also receive a snail-mail this week.
3) For the waitlisted, we will also receive a new letter in short time telling us our tier on the waitlist. This letter is independent of the letter we receive this week, and will be sent out I think within a few weeks.
4) Yale has significant waitlist movement because it's difficult to form a class of 100 students right from the start. So don't give up hope.

Cheers.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Cheers.

Thanks a lot!

I thought this was by far my best interview and no letter. It's impossible to predict these things.

I thought this was by far my best interview and no letter. It's impossible to predict these things.

I thought mine went well also. Like I said I would love a position in the waitlist.

I was accepted at a school back in the fall where my interview was the worst, and no email today from Yale and I thought this interview was at or near the best. Murphy's law....

I was accepted at a school back in the fall where my interview was the worst, and no email today from Yale and I thought this interview was at or near the best. Murphy's law....

Murphys law would be if you got rejected from everywhere! You are still in good shape having acceptances

Well, to give comfort to anyone who had a bad interview at Yale, my experience involved the doctor talking at length about research on women suffering depression following gynecological surgery, me accidentally zoning out and saying "postpartum depression" after the long discussion, and him irritably saying, "Nooooo...they got their uterus taken out, they had hysterectomies." (And him thinking to himself, "What a dumb little turd.") It was a short interview with no recovery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, to give comfort to anyone who had a bad interview at Yale, my experience involved the doctor talking at length about research on women suffering depression following gynecological surgery, me accidentally zoning out and saying "postpartum depression" after the long discussion, and him irritably saying, "Nooooo...they got their uterus taken out, they had hysterectomies." (And him thinking to himself, "What a dumb little turd.") It was a short interview with no recovery.

:laugh:Hilarious

accepted yesterday! is there a facebook group?

can any current Yale students comment on living outside of New Haven (not very far outside)? My girlfriend lives in NYC and will be there for the next three years. We are thinking about trying to live in CT a bit south of New Haven so she can commute into the city (she only needs to be there for work ~3 days/wk). I would just drive up to New Haven every day. Does that sound straight up idiotic? Any insights would be great.

There are several students in the class of 2014 who live outside of New Haven, for various reasons. One even lives in Manhattan and commutes via train. People who do this take different approaches to Yale med. Some treat it like a 9-5 job, come in every day, and just spend non-lecture/lab/hospital time in the library, while others take full advantage of the flexibility of the Yale system and only come in when necessary. Lectures are podcasted and all course materials are online, so there are very few things that aren't "skippable".

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info on this topic.

can any current Yale students comment on living outside of New Haven (not very far outside)? My girlfriend lives in NYC and will be there for the next three years. We are thinking about trying to live in CT a bit south of New Haven so she can commute into the city (she only needs to be there for work ~3 days/wk). I would just drive up to New Haven every day. Does that sound straight up idiotic? Any insights would be great.

Just got the wait list letter in NYC today. Disappointed about not getting an outright acceptance, but after yesterday's uncertainty, I'm just glad it's not a rejection.

Congrats to all those who got in yesterday, and good luck to everyone whose process just got a few months longer...

Just got the wait list letter in NYC today. Disappointed about not getting an outright acceptance, but after yesterday's uncertainty, I'm just glad it's not a rejection.

Congrats to all those who got in yesterday, and good luck to everyone whose process just got a few months longer...

Gotham, thanks for letting us know...did the waitlist letter have a form or any information about staying on the waitlist?

Reeeeejection. I thought those interviews went pretty well, too. Oh well.

Withdrew my application yesterday and was notified by email that I had been waitlisted.

Thus, if anyone cant wait to learn their status just withdraw!

Gotham, thanks for letting us know...did the waitlist letter have a form or any information about staying on the waitlist?

"Waiting List Response Form" was enclosed; it appears that you can mail, fax, or email it within ten days. Aforementioned form also asks the specifics of how long you'd like to be considered on the wait list (apparently, you can stay on until Aug. 18.)

Thanks for letting us know Gotham and NeuroE

NeuroE :( sorry to hear that! You already have some acceptances at fantastic schools and are going to be just fine! :D

Looks like I'll be checking my mailbox for a letter :xf: Please let it be a waitlist!

One post interview rejection + one waitlist + another looming rejection/waitlist (Yale) + MIDTERMS = one horrible, no good, very bad week :(:(:(

on a related note: why why why oh why can't they just email ALL decisions?

Rejected via snail mail, did not see it coming until yesterday...good luck everybody and congrats to the accepted!

Got the snail mail WL letter today in NYC. Congrats to those accepted! Hopefully there's lots of movement on the WL :)

rejected Thrilled this process is over and I have many great offers. Good luck to all!

got the waitlist letter in the mail today. (maryland)

Has anyone not received any letter/e-mail? Am I to expect a delay because my address is international?

Maybe my rejection letter got lost crossing the border. :laugh:

Has anyone not received any letter/e-mail? Am I to expect a delay because my address is international?

Maybe my rejection letter got lost crossing the border. :laugh:

I'm in Virginia and haven't received any snail mail yet...it's making it's slow crawl from New Haven, that's for sure.

And Gotham - thank you for your response.

I'm in Virginia and haven't received any snail mail yet...it's making it's slow crawl from New Haven, that's for sure.

Agreed. And I'm in PA and haven't gotten the mail yet, either. They might not mail all 800 on the same day? Or else there was too much partying going on between NYC and Philly yesterday...:luck:

....Ok, mail came in! Waitlisted. At least they'll let us know our standing soon...

Last edited:
Could someone post the link to the fb group? Doesnt seem to work for me. Thanks!

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today at my permanent address. First correspondance I have received there (instead of my preferred address) from any med school. Just FYI, your letters may be headed to permanent addresses.

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today at my permanent address. First correspondance I have received there (instead of my preferred address) from any med school. Just FYI, your letters may be headed to permanent addresses.
Damn, there is no one at my permanent address to check the mail; it's not my "effective" address until May 1.

Does anyone know if we can e-mail them to request for our waitlist/rejection status?

Snail mail waitlist today. I live in California. Good luck to everyone else!

thanks for the kind rejection letter, much more sincere than most the rejection emails i've been getting these days

Heading to second look with my significant other. Any insights from current students as to where a good spot to stay is? We won't have a car, so close is best I suppose. Thanks :)

Could I get the link to the fb group guys? I can't find it and want to meet the other admits

Anyone know when the financial aid packages might come out? I remember reading that in the previous years they gave them out during Second Look to people who were visiting, but what about people who might not be able to visit?

For those of you going to Second Look, are you finding that tickets are ridiculously expensive ($500-600 range)?? This is double what it cost to fly to New Haven back in February... Also, flying to JFK or Hartford is equally (if not more, with train costs) expensive.

Try flights to Laguardia (LGA).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.