2011-2012 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The inaugural class will have 50 students in it (no more, no less). However, one of the deans stated that he anticipates offering around 70 to 75 acceptances max in filling the class. Also at my interview he stated that they will most likely be interviewing less than 300 applicants (300 is the absolute top number).
I am not challenging what you said (since it is based on facts given what the deans said during open house or whenever).

I am just a little surprised that they are going to accept only ~70 students for a class of 50. Given that this is a new medical school in a not so good neighborhood chances are a lot of people might withdraw if they got accepted to other schools in the region. Hence sending out 70-75 acceptances does not make sense to me (given my limited knowledge about this school).

A lot of schools send out atleast twice as many acceptances as their intended class size.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not challenging what you said (since it is based on facts given what the deans said during open house or whenever).

I am just a little surprised that they are going to accept only ~70 students for a class of 50. Given that this is a new medical school in a not so good neighborhood chances are a lot of people might withdraw if they got accepted to other schools in the region. Hence sending out 70-75 acceptances does not make sense to me (given my limited knowledge about this school).

A lot of schools send out atleast twice as many acceptances as their intended class size.

I was thinking the same thing. However he said that they are going to be very careful in giving out acceptances. The main reason being is that since it is a new school the LCME doesn't give them any wiggle room in terms of matriculated students. The number has to be 50, not even 51. So I think they are going to accept students that are a good fit for them AND the ones that are not likely to get many other acceptances (they can't predict this too much but can still get a rough idea).

I think this is why we see a lot of lower stat students interviewing here (27 mcat and 3.0 gpa,not necessarily together...but you get my drift) and not many 3.8, 36ers.

Thats just what I think, I may be wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. However he said that they are going to be very careful in giving out acceptances. The main reason being is that since it is a new school the LCME doesn't give them any wiggle room in terms of matriculated students. The number has to be 50, not even 51. So I think they are going to accept students that are a good fit for them AND the ones that are not likely to get many other acceptances (they can't predict this too much but can still get a rough idea).

I think this is why we see a lot of lower stat students interviewing here (27 mcat and 3.0 gpa,not necessarily together...but you get my drift) and not many 3.8, 36ers.

agree..

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at those who have been accepted in this forum it doesn't appear like this is the method. Of course I'm admitting to MDApps stalking, but we're not looking at the low GPA 30 MCAT crowd. That would be me.

People here have other acceptances as well so I was actually curious to see whether the people who have posted their acceptance are planning on attending Cooper or if they have their sights set on another school, or what?

I was accepted here and despite interviews at other schools, I am very interested in Cooper. It's all going to depend on my financial situation and where else I am accepted. I was EXTREMELY impressed with the school's brand new facilities (including a building entirely for medical students), amazing faculty and most importantly, interesting location. Cooper is really looking for students who are dedicated to bettering Camden and who are interested in working to increase healthcare access and quality there. This resonates with me a lot and I can definitely see myself working in this setting.

I am happy to answers any other questions via PM!

Looking at those who have been accepted in this forum it doesn't appear like this is the method. Of course I'm admitting to MDApps stalking, but we're not looking at the low GPA 30 MCAT crowd. That would be me.

People here have other acceptances as well so I was actually curious to see whether the people who have posted their acceptance are planning on attending Cooper or if they have their sights set on another school, or what?

I've been accepted to Cooper as well as one other school so far (EVMS). I will have a total of 6 interviews and anticipate being accepted to at least 1 other if not more. However, Cooper is still my top choice (unless my last two interviews blow me out of the water).

Pros:
1) Small class of 50 = much more specialized education, as well as all of the attention from faculty focused on you succeeding. You will not be one of a class of 170 who is "just another med student"
2) As was said above, they are really looking for students who resonate with their mission, so if you don't resonate, then don't bother applying because (a) they'll see through that if you're lying and won't accept you, or (b) you won't be a good fit for the school, meaning that you will do better somewhere else.
3) Their facilities will be BRAND-spankin' new. Plus, the cadaver lab is on the top floor of the new building with new air circulating every 30 seconds, so we'll be able to breath during lab (yay!)
4) They have restructured the 3rd and 4th years of medical school in a unique and (in my opinion) improved manner--they have grouped certain clerkships together to facilitate a highly improved understanding of longitudinal care. For example, the medicine and surgery clerkships have been grouped together to allow for a full overview of one's treatment where you can actually continue to care for the patient post-surgery in the medicine-context after having participated in their surgery. This fluidity in education really excites me and ultimately I think it will train me to become a better doctor than other clerkship schemes.
5) Though it is a new school, they have been training RWJMS 3rd and 4th year students for the past 20-30 years (I'm not sure of the actual number), so they already have an excellent teaching reputation which, in a way, counters the argument that a new school without a reputation will make things more difficult during residency placement.
6) There are others but I just can't think of them right now. If you are interested in going here, these are definitely some of the best advantages.

Cons:
1) As it is a new school, financing is always somewhat of a worry. However, it is a state-funded school, so I don't think there will be issues if they begin to deplete their budget. However, anyone who has feedback on this is welcome to add it!
2) Camden can be dangerous. However, you don't hear people saying this stuff about NJMS (in Newark) or other places which are also dangerous. Besides, many medical schools are in impoverished areas due to the fact that (a) the greatest difference can be made in these places and (b) in many respects, they are some of the best places to learn medicine and how to care for the underserved and to learn how to deal with many of the most hindering insurance problems.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the facilities, the state-of-minds of the faculty (very innovative teaching ideas and very focused on teaching the best medicine they can), and of course, Cooper Medical Center is one of the best hospitals in the state.

I have said most of what I know here, but if anyone has any other questions you're more than welcome to PM me. Also, because people will probably ask, 31P, 3.72cGPA, 3.80sGPA.

I've been accepted to Cooper as well as one other school so far (EVMS). I will have a total of 6 interviews and anticipate being accepted to at least 1 other if not more. However, Cooper is still my top choice (unless my last two interviews blow me out of the water).

Pros:
1) Small class of 50 = much more specialized education, as well as all of the attention from faculty focused on you succeeding. You will not be one of a class of 170 who is "just another med student"
2) As was said above, they are really looking for students who resonate with their mission, so if you don't resonate, then don't bother applying because (a) they'll see through that if you're lying and won't accept you, or (b) you won't be a good fit for the school, meaning that you will do better somewhere else.
3) Their facilities will be BRAND-spankin' new. Plus, the cadaver lab is on the top floor of the new building with new air circulating every 30 seconds, so we'll be able to breath during lab (yay!)
4) They have restructured the 3rd and 4th years of medical school in a unique and (in my opinion) improved manner--they have grouped certain clerkships together to facilitate a highly improved understanding of longitudinal care. For example, the medicine and surgery clerkships have been grouped together to allow for a full overview of one's treatment where you can actually continue to care for the patient post-surgery in the medicine-context after having participated in their surgery. This fluidity in education really excites me and ultimately I think it will train me to become a better doctor than other clerkship schemes.
5) Though it is a new school, they have been training RWJMS 3rd and 4th year students for the past 20-30 years (I'm not sure of the actual number), so they already have an excellent teaching reputation which, in a way, counters the argument that a new school without a reputation will make things more difficult during residency placement.
6) There are others but I just can't think of them right now. If you are interested in going here, these are definitely some of the best advantages.

Cons:
1) As it is a new school, financing is always somewhat of a worry. However, it is a state-funded school, so I don't think there will be issues if they begin to deplete their budget. However, anyone who has feedback on this is welcome to add it!
2) Camden can be dangerous. However, you don't hear people saying this stuff about NJMS (in Newark) or other places which are also dangerous. Besides, many medical schools are in impoverished areas due to the fact that (a) the greatest difference can be made in these places and (b) in many respects, they are some of the best places to learn medicine and how to care for the underserved and to learn how to deal with many of the most hindering insurance problems.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the facilities, the state-of-minds of the faculty (very innovative teaching ideas and very focused on teaching the best medicine they can), and of course, Cooper Medical Center is one of the best hospitals in the state.

I have said most of what I know here, but if anyone has any other questions you're more than welcome to PM me. Also, because people will probably ask, 31P, 3.72cGPA, 3.80sGPA.

Would you mind sharing when you interviewed? Just so I can try to figure out where they are wit respect to my date (10/14).

Would you mind sharing when you interviewed? Just so I can try to figure out where they are wit respect to my date (10/14).

I interviewed on the same date as you. I was accepted on October 20 via e-mail and a phone call. Snail mail arrived on Saturday.

I interviewed on the same date as you. I was accepted on October 20 via e-mail and a phone call. Snail mail arrived on Saturday.

Congrats! Then it looks like they are debating about me then. If only I had your mcat to go along with my application. Good job on that btw.

Congrats! Then it looks like they are debating about me then. If only I had your mcat to go along with my application. Good job on that btw.

Thank you! I hope you hear some great news soon :)

Had to do well on the MCAT to make up for the less-than-stellar science GPA...

This is really helpful, thanks. I am definitely excited to be interviewing. I am going into medicine almost primarily because of an ethical drive, so Cooper is definitely a really great fit. We'll see what happens.

In regards to what you said about Camden, which I agree with: One, I grew up in Cleveland, which people don't consider to be a total hotbed. I work in athletics in the Ivy League now, and one of the only ways we try to compete against Yale with recruiting is "It's in New Haven!!" Which doesn't deter a lot of people because they simply love going to Yale. Same kind of message here. Love the school, find an okay place to live, help people in real need.

Pros:

Cons:

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be unwise to choose Cooper over NJMS and RWJ? I really think it would be amazing to be a part of an inaugural class, especially at a school with such a dedicated mission as Cooper. My only concern is that I would be passing the opportunity to attend schools that already have good reputations and are established. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I can see where you may be concerned about this. During the interview day they tried to talk about it. There is no doubt that this school will become a reputable school since they are very goal oriented, driven, and are working towards a mission. Despite this I'm sure that there are plenty of people that would not want to "risk" going to a new school. Even though that "risk" is small, its still there and a lot of premeds like certainty/want to be able to control fate (IMHO). That being said, I think very few students will choose to go here if they have other acceptances. I know many people will now start saying that this is not true and that they would go here despite being accepted at other places. I'm sure they would. In fact, I would as well. However, there are going to be many that probably won't.

To answer your question....only you can make that decision. However, your concerns are valid and should influence your decision (regardless of what anyone, including myself, says). You have to do what you think will make you happy/what will be the best decision for you.

If you think that that would entail not risk going to a school that could close/lose accreditation or some other super rare event than you may end up choosing to go to NJMS or RWJMS. If that risk is insignificant to you and you feel that you are a good fit then you may end up choosing to go to Cooper.

Last edited:
Would it be unwise to choose Cooper over NJMS and RWJ? I really think it would be amazing to be a part of an inaugural class, especially at a school with such a dedicated mission as Cooper. My only concern is that I would be passing the opportunity to attend schools that already have good reputations and are established. What are your guys thoughts on this?

I agree with WisdomDoc in that it is ultimately up to you. However, given that they have been training half of each RWJ class for the past 20ish years during the 3rd and 4th years gives them a reputation. Part of the advantage of going to an established school is that the school itself has a reputation, but the other part is that your professors will call places you want to go for residency and recommend you. Cooper lacks the general reputation but is probably comparable to any other established school in the second regard.

I do disagree with WisdomDoc in that I think even if a lot of other people have other acceptances they will still seriously consider attending Cooper. I know I will, and I already have one other acceptance, and also expect at least one-several more.

Anyway, hope this helps as well.

So I interviewed here back in September and I am accepted. Here is my take on a few things.

Accreditation - This is probably a big concern for some folks, if not the biggest concern. I must admit, it is also a concern for me as well, as it would be a horror to be at on the street after two or three years of training through no fault of my own. However, this risk of accreditation loss is small in my opinion. The people who run the place are amazing and talented, and it is a much needed state school. Everyone is behind them and rooting for their success. I think things are going to start of smoothly.

Reputation - I don't see any reason to worry about this at all. In fact, Cooper is really really well known through out South and Central New Jersey and many people's lives have been impacted by the hospital. Whenever I tell folks around here that I might be attending there for medical school they are happy and promptly tell me about 'good' experiences at the hospital. Professionally, they have been teaching all types of health professionals for decades and it is a very good and well connected community. In other words, this is a medical school being built to accompany a well known and reputable hospital, they are not starting out from scratch, so don't worry about if it is going to effect your career.

Location - The location is relatively safe. People need to relax about this. The hospital is in a good part of Camden and you can drive in from a few directions, or take the train in to a station right by campus, without ever having to walk through the 'bad parts' of town. Cooper gets a lot of respect from the townsfolk and, if anything, I'm more worried about the infrastructure of Camden City and funding, but that is a whole different story. The city also has a really rich history. I want to emphasize these points because people make it out to be the case that you have to zig-zag and belly crawl through the streets to dodge flying bullets.

Inaugural Class - Being part of a inaugural class is awesome, because all of the professors and administrators are there for you and you alone. The community at Cooper seems really strong, and everyone seems to know everyone there! I believe that this aspect will be emphasized by the small inaugural class. Not to mention, you have an entire medical school and hospital all to yourselves, and there is also a chance you can get into the portrait that will hang at the door of the admissions office for years to come.

Facilities - Cooper is a modernized hospital and the medical school is going to be amazing. My friend is actually part of the group that is building the school and he always tells me how bitch'n it is going to be. Since it is an entirely new school, everything is being built with 'new age learning' in mind. There is a focus on multipurpose and small group rooms rather than lecture halls. Also, Camden is really close to Philadelphia and all parts of suburban New Jersey, so there are plenty of great places to live.

Curriculum - All academics seem really integrated and I find the clerkship schedules to be totally awesome. Similar clerkships are all bunched together, so you get to follow patients more closely and you get a variety of 'things to do'. For instance, instead of doing 4 weeks of OB/GYN and 6 weeks of pediatrics, you do 10 weeks of integrated work in both departments. This will really work well when it comes to medicine/surgery. You get to see/admit the patients (pregnant, heart attack, whatever) and then actually get to do the work on them instead of, from what I understand, usually doing the work and then seeing just the result.

Okay. I think I typed enough and I have work to do. If anyone has any questions let me know.

P.S. - Dr. McGeehan is the man.

Last edited:
So I interviewed here back in September and I am accepted. Here is my take on a few things.

Accreditation - This is probably a big concern for some folks, if not the biggest concern. I must admit, it is also a concern for me as well, as it would be a horror to be at on the street after two or three years of training through no fault of my own. However, this risk of accreditation loss is small in my opinion. The people who run the place are amazing and talented, and it is a much needed state school. Everyone is behind them and rooting for their success. I think things are going to start of smoothly.

Reputation - I don't see any reason to worry about this at all. In fact, Cooper is really really well known through out South and Central New Jersey and many people's lives have been impacted by the hospital. Whenever I tell folks around here that I might be attending there for medical school they are happy and promptly tell me about 'good' experiences at the hospital. Professionally, they have been teaching all types of health professionals for decades and it is a very good and well connected community. In other words, this is a medical school being built to accompany a well known and reputable hospital, they are not starting out from scratch, so don't worry about if it is going to effect your career.

Location - The location is relatively safe. People need to relax about this. The hospital is in a good part of Camden and you can drive in from a few directions, or take the train in to a station right by campus, without ever having to walk through the 'bad parts' of town. Cooper gets a lot of respect from the townsfolk and, if anything, I'm more worried about the infrastructure of Camden City and funding, but that is a whole different story. The city also has a really rich history. I want to emphasize these points because people make it out to be the case that you have to zig-zag and belly crawl through the streets to dodge flying bullets.

Inaugural Class - Being part of a inaugural class is awesome, because all of the professors and administrators are there for you and you alone. The community at Cooper seems really strong, and everyone seems to know everyone there! I believe that this aspect will be emphasized by the small inaugural class. Not to mention, you have an entire medical school and hospital all to yourselves, and there is also a chance you can get into the portrait that will hang at the door of the admissions office for years to come.

Facilities - Cooper is a modernized hospital and the medical school is going to be amazing. My friend is actually part of the group that is building the school and he always tells me how bitch'n it is going to be. Since it is an entirely new school, everything is being built with 'new age learning' in mind. There is a focus on multipurpose and small group rooms rather than lecture halls. Also, Camden is really close to Philadelphia and all parts of suburban New Jersey, so there are plenty of great places to live.

Curriculum - All academics seem really integrated and I find the clerkship schedules to be totally awesome. Similar clerkships are all bunched together, so you get to follow patients more closely and you get a variety of 'things to do'. For instance, instead of doing 4 weeks of OB/GYN and 6 weeks of pediatrics, you do 10 weeks of integrated work in both departments. This will really work well when it comes to medicine/surgery. You get to see/admit the patients (pregnant, heart attack, whatever) and then actually get to do the work on them instead of, from what I understand, usually doing the work and then seeing just the result.

Okay. I think I typed enough and I have work to do. If anyone has any questions let me know.

This.:thumbup:

I was wondering how long it took from having a completed application to being called for an interview. I received an invitation for a secondary within 3 hours of receiving my primary, but it's been slightly over a week since I've been complete and no interview yet. Is there a certain day that that is decided?

Slightly over a week isn't a long time. People typically have been hearing within 3-4 weeks. I submitted mine on August 8th and got the invite on the 24th. I think other people were a little faster or a little slower than that pace but that seems to be about what you should expect.

I was wondering how long it took from having a completed application to being called for an interview. I received an invitation for a secondary within 3 hours of receiving my primary, but it's been slightly over a week since I've been complete and no interview yet. Is there a certain day that that is decided?

Hey,

For those that have heard back. How long from the interview did it take? I interviewed three weeks ago and haven't heard anything. So I am starting to panic.......any advice here... should I call?

Snowballing off titilaya....I also interviewed here 3 weeks ago and was under the impression (or so I thought I heard) that we would be notified within 3 weeks.... has that not been the case for anyone who interviewed in September? I'm also getting nervous/anxious.

Slightly over a week isn't a long time. People typically have been hearing within 3-4 weeks. I submitted mine on August 8th and got the invite on the 24th. I think other people were a little faster or a little slower than that pace but that seems to be about what you should expect.

Thanks Toga! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a few weeks. Congrats on the interview BTW.

Snowballing off titilaya....I also interviewed here 3 weeks ago and was under the impression (or so I thought I heard) that we would be notified within 3 weeks.... has that not been the case for anyone who interviewed in September? I'm also getting nervous/anxious.

Uff yea they told us the same thing at the interview and said we should know within 3 weeks. I would call...it can't hurt. They seem like they would be very nice about it. My interview was last Friday. I looked at some posts about acceptances here and it looks like some people were notified w/in one week!! (That's sorta what I was hoping for! :xf:)

Tomorrow makes 3 weeks for me. I figure that they accept the people that they like/really want right away (<1 week). I'm expecting a rejection soon. :(

Tomorrow makes 3 weeks for me. I figure that they accept the people that they like/really want right away (<1 week). I'm expecting a rejection soon. :(

Me too, but I am hoping that maybe they just haven't gotten to us, because they were so many people interviewing, and the meetings never seemed to be enough time to really speak about the interviewees and their qualifications and ppl with side conversations would also interrupt the meeting......yep its official i am losing my mind, i cant believe i have gotten to the point where i am now day dreaming about adcom meetings lol :scared:

I agree!!! You state what needed to be said very concisely and accurately. Also, McGeehan IS the man!

Me too, but I am hoping that maybe they just haven't gotten to us, because they were so many people interviewing, and the meetings never seemed to be enough time to really speak about the interviewees and their qualifications and ppl with side conversations would also interrupt the meeting......yep its official i am losing my mind, i cant believe i have gotten to the point where i am now day dreaming about adcom meetings lol :scared:

We can only hope, but i'm not too sure about this. They have accepted a few people that interviewed with me 3 weeks ago within 7 days.

Agreed.... but I'm considering calling. Has anyone attempted to call?? I am always hesitant and I don't want to seem pushy/desperate but I'm really just curious and if it is a rejection well so be it, I would just rather know at this point as opposed to dwelling every minute.

Agreed.... but I'm considering calling. Has anyone attempted to call?? I am always hesitant and I don't want to seem pushy/desperate but I'm really just curious and if it is a rejection well so be it, I would just rather know at this point as opposed to dwelling every minute.

Thats exactly why I don't want to call them...i'm very desperate

Didn't you already get in a few places?

aww man that would be a dream come true....i have only gotten into one DO school. I'm grateful for that but would like some options. Which is why i'm super desperate.

Has anyone called? I tried but started shaking so I hung up.........im a punk :idea:

I just laughed because I have been sitting next to the phone for the past 20 minutes contemplating what I would say. I feel your pain but I will be calling by the end of today (just need to work up the guts to do it). Let me know if you beat me to it!

I just laughed because I have been sitting next to the phone for the past 20 minutes contemplating what I would say. I feel your pain but I will be calling by the end of today (just need to work up the guts to do it). Let me know if you beat me to it!

Im trying to come up with the courage to try again. I think I even developed a fever......this process will be the death of me....but yes I will let you know if I grew the cojones to call lol............dont forget the forum if you bet us 2 it :)

Oh my lord if y'all shake so much for a phone call, the day you have to put an I.V. in my arm will probably be the death of me! :p

If someone has conjured up the courage, please do share what you have heard. I'm calling as soon as it turns into over three weeks for me.

Nobody seems to be answering the phones...I tried calling 2x and no luck. Perhaps because it is interview day and Friday they are not available?

I think its safe to say, were not hearing anything back today. Back to the guessing game.......My vote is that we hear back on Tuesday.........

Nobody seems to be answering the phones...I tried calling 2x and no luck. Perhaps because it is interview day and Friday they are not available?

Correct - The entire staff is with the applicants most of the day.

aww man that would be a dream come true....i have only gotten into one DO school. I'm grateful for that but would like some options. Which is why i'm super desperate.

This does not constitute someone being super desperate. I understand you might like choices but...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:YOU GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

What school did you get into?

has anyone from the 10/28 group heard anything yet????

Anyone from 10/11 get rejected or waitlisted? Also, I called today, no answer :(

Anyone from 10/11 get rejected or waitlisted? Also, I called today, no answer :(

No answer meaning they didn't pick up or that they didn't have an decision for you yet. 10/14er still waiting to hear. I think I am starting to lose it :D.

Kind of late, but seconding this very much. He and Dr. Dayton came to Rowan to talk with us about the medical school, and he is a very wise and very hilarious man. Dr. Dayton's a really nice and funny person, too - she used to be my pre-Health Advisor before going to Cooper - but she had a plane to catch and couldn't stick around after the meeting.

Anyways, I'm interviewing on 11/18. Part of me is really excited about the Standard Patients part, and part of me is terrified, haha! But I figure you have to get used to it sooner or later if you're intending on being a doctor. :)

One of my friends just put his deposit down for Cooper the other day, and I'm really excited about possibly joining him in the inaugural class. It seems like Cooper's going to be a really great medical school.

No answer meaning they didn't pick up or that they didn't have an decision for you yet. 10/14er still waiting to hear. I think I am starting to lose it :D.

As they didn't pick up. I'm in the same boat, waiting. However, I refuse to lose hope! :D

People seem really anxious over in this thread. If it's only November, what's it going to be like in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.