You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i just got an interview invite today too 🙂...are you guys that just received it today all on Dec 1st also?
can't wait! and i'm with tenndoc, any interview advice?
can't wait! and i'm with tenndoc, any interview advice?
Congrats guys! Do you mind sharing when you were marked complete on the secondary? Stats would be cool, too, if you don't mind. I'm mainly trying to guage time, though.
Thanks and good luck at the interviews!
Thanks and good luck at the interviews!
To everyone going to interview, this was seriously the lowest pressure school to interview at out of the five I have done so far. The interviewers are very friendly and it is very conversational/non-generic so don't worry. They also let you have a third interview if you feel like you bombed one of them.
W
wsaedalney
Rejected today. OOS, but with strong ties. Good luck to the rest of you guys!
Congrats to all with interviews and acceptances! So is it about 6 weeks from complete to interview invite? I was marked complete 11/4
Mine was a little over seven weeks from file complete to interview invite.
To those of you that have already interviewed- do you know how long the turn around is between interview and decision?
To those of you that have already interviewed- do you know how long the turn around is between interview and decision?
I
ImOnABoat
From what I've gathered looking through the last year's thread, and from my own experience - three to four weeks.Mine was a little over seven weeks from file complete to interview invite.
To those of you that have already interviewed- do you know how long the turn around is between interview and decision?
Mine was a little over seven weeks from file complete to interview invite.
To those of you that have already interviewed- do you know how long the turn around is between interview and decision?
I interviewed at the beginning of November and was told that I would hear something by the end of November.
Just got notice that I'll be receiving an interview!!!! I sent a status check email today and got a reply that my status has been switched to "process invite" and that I'll be receiving an email within a couple days to schedule my interview.
Do NOT give up hope!
Can those who've interviewed please share their experiences (e.g., types of questions, itinerary)?
Thanks and good luck to all.
Do NOT give up hope!
Can those who've interviewed please share their experiences (e.g., types of questions, itinerary)?
Thanks and good luck to all.
Last edited:
I
ImOnABoat
As someone had written here already, no need to stress out about the interview. Their interviews are very laid-back , and about your personality, not your academics. You will have about an hour long tour of their facilities and a free all-you-can-eat lunch before the two relaxed interviews. That's about it. Good luck!Just got notice that I'll be receiving an interview!!!! I sent a status check email today and got a reply that my status has been switched to "process invite" and that I'll be receiving an email within a couple days to schedule my interview.
Do NOT give up hope!
Can those who've interviewed please share their experiences (e.g., types of questions, itinerary)?
Thanks and good luck to all.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I agree. I interviewed the first week of October. Very laid back. Two interviewers - each for about 45 minutes. They give you a little bio of the interviewers at the beginning of the day. However, I'm on the hold list so I can't really say that my experience was a bona fide success. Looks like I will be learning the definition of the word "patience".
I got a notice of a certified letter today in the mail. This has to be an acceptance, right? I think they told me when I interviewed that rejections and acceptances came by mail and hold notifications came by email. And it seems like the only certified letters were acceptances, right?
The post office is, of course, closed today! I have to wait until tomorrow. So we will have to wait and see I guess. This last bit of patience may be the hardest.
The post office is, of course, closed today! I have to wait until tomorrow. So we will have to wait and see I guess. This last bit of patience may be the hardest.
I
ImOnABoat
It is most certainly an acceptance letter. Congrats!I got a notice of a certified letter today in the mail. This has to be an acceptance, right? I think they told me when I interviewed that rejections and acceptances came by mail and hold notifications came by email. And it seems like the only certified letters were acceptances, right?
The post office is, of course, closed today! I have to wait until tomorrow. So we will have to wait and see I guess. This last bit of patience may be the hardest.
Thanks for the info and words of encouragement guys. I wish you all the best.
I got a notice of a certified letter today in the mail. This has to be an acceptance, right? I think they told me when I interviewed that rejections and acceptances came by mail and hold notifications came by email. And it seems like the only certified letters were acceptances, right?
The post office is, of course, closed today! I have to wait until tomorrow. So we will have to wait and see I guess. This last bit of patience may be the hardest.
Congrats!
I got a notice of a certified letter today in the mail. This has to be an acceptance, right? I think they told me when I interviewed that rejections and acceptances came by mail and hold notifications came by email. And it seems like the only certified letters were acceptances, right?
The post office is, of course, closed today! I have to wait until tomorrow. So we will have to wait and see I guess. This last bit of patience may be the hardest.
Awesome. What day did you interview?
Awesome. What day did you interview?
I saw that you were accepted, congrats! My letter was indeed an acceptance letter. I interviewed 11/8.
Very happy, and this is a huge weight off my shoulders! Good luck to everyone else along the way.
I saw that you were accepted, congrats! My letter was indeed an acceptance letter. I interviewed 11/8.
Very happy, and this is a huge weight off my shoulders! Good luck to everyone else along the way.
Congrats to you too! I interviewed 11/2 so I wouldn't know you. Good luck to all those still waiting or who have yet to interview
Does anyone know what the steps are to withdrawal your application from Quillen?
I
ImOnABoat
I suppose the procedures for withdrawal are the same in every med school, and quite simple at that - just email or call them with such request.Does anyone know what the steps are to withdrawal your application from Quillen?
I
ImOnABoat
http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/etsu-qcom/survey/26what types of questions did they ask you when you interviewed?
Looking over the overall collection of questions presented above is a great way to prepare for the interview.
http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/etsu-qcom/survey/26
Looking over the overall collection of questions presented above is a great way to prepare for the interview.
😍
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else interviewing January 9th? w00t!!!!!! Ahhh!!! 
Also, any acceptees know how long it usually takes between interview day and acceptance?

Also, any acceptees know how long it usually takes between interview day and acceptance?
Anyone else interviewing January 9th? w00t!!!!!! Ahhh!!!
Also, any acceptees know how long it usually takes between interview day and acceptance?
Congrats! Did you get the invite email today?
Jan. 9th seems so far away, I'm guessing they stop interviewing around mid-December for the Holidays.
Congrats! Did you get the invite email today?
Jan. 9th seems so far away, I'm guessing they stop interviewing around mid-December for the Holidays.
Thanks, I sure did! I'm at work and bouncing off the walls of my office, lol. Yeah, I know. I told them in my confirmation that I'd be more than happy to fill a vacancy in December should they receive a cancellation.
Any news for you yet? Good luck!
Interview invite for early Jan! I may have to reschedule though. Does anyone have experience in rescheduling at ETSU?
Thanks, I sure did! I'm at work and bouncing off the walls of my office, lol. Yeah, I know. I told them in my confirmation that I'd be more than happy to fill a vacancy in December should they receive a cancellation.
Any news for you yet? Good luck!
It has been quiet on the home front, I have been complete for almost a month so I am not going to get OVERLY WORRIED( I am only worried right now) unless I do not hear back in the next couple of weeks.
Rock your interview!!!!👍
It has been quiet on the home front, I have been complete for almost a month so I am not going to get OVERLY WORRIED( I am only worried right now) unless I do not hear back in the next couple of weeks.
Rock your interview!!!!👍
Thanks! I'm sending extra good karma vibes your way via the interweb!
Anyone else interviewing January 9th? w00t!!!!!! Ahhh!!!
Also, any acceptees know how long it usually takes between interview day and acceptance?
I think it's going to depend on different factors but my process took a little less than a month. They let you know at the interview when you should expect to hear back from them. I think a month is pretty standard though.
I think it's going to depend on different factors but my process took a little less than a month. They let you know at the interview when you should expect to hear back from them. I think a month is pretty standard though.
That sounds about right. I was hoping someone heard earlier, but a month is good. Some schools take even longer. Thanks for the reply.
UPDATE: It's hotel time. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for the best ratio of close, cheap, and not skeezy. I like walking to interviews if weather permits, helps mitigate the anxiety. Also, are there any resources for spouses to check out the area?
Thanks in advance and good luck to all.
Last edited:
I will say I stayed at the Carnegie and it was very close to the campus. Not quite "walk to campus" close, but it was "less than 5 minute drive" close. It was really really nice and made me feel comfortable prior to my interview.
Regarding your spouse, I don't know if you mean resources to check out online or if you mean to go up there. I don't know much about the online resources, but the QCOM website has a good link to some info about Johnson City, things to do, etc.
If you are referring to your spouse joining you, I will add that I asked if it would be appropriate to bring my wife, and they encouraged it. She joined me for the intro session, the tours of both the campus and the JC Medical Center, lunch, and then came back to the admissions office at interview time. She hung out in the room and read a book while I interviewed and after walking back to the office after each session, my interviewers put two and two together and greeted her, they exchanged a few words, etc. My wife being there was one of the best parts of the experience, in that she is a vet and will have to uproot her career and join me, so this is definitely a two-person decision. Her being there meant she got to see the facilities, ask questions (she definitely asked about the area, learned from some of the students that there is a med-student wives group, etc), and meet the faculty and students. It was huge and she fell in love with the area and school as much as I did.
If you have the means to take your spouse with you, I would definitely encourage it. I was accepted off of the first admissions committee meeting after my interview (interviewed 11/8, accepted 11/22) and I think her being there not only helped me keep things in perspective and stay calm, it was also a huge part of her being involved in the decision making process.
Just my opinion, though, and we all know what those are worth. 🙂
Regarding your spouse, I don't know if you mean resources to check out online or if you mean to go up there. I don't know much about the online resources, but the QCOM website has a good link to some info about Johnson City, things to do, etc.
If you are referring to your spouse joining you, I will add that I asked if it would be appropriate to bring my wife, and they encouraged it. She joined me for the intro session, the tours of both the campus and the JC Medical Center, lunch, and then came back to the admissions office at interview time. She hung out in the room and read a book while I interviewed and after walking back to the office after each session, my interviewers put two and two together and greeted her, they exchanged a few words, etc. My wife being there was one of the best parts of the experience, in that she is a vet and will have to uproot her career and join me, so this is definitely a two-person decision. Her being there meant she got to see the facilities, ask questions (she definitely asked about the area, learned from some of the students that there is a med-student wives group, etc), and meet the faculty and students. It was huge and she fell in love with the area and school as much as I did.
If you have the means to take your spouse with you, I would definitely encourage it. I was accepted off of the first admissions committee meeting after my interview (interviewed 11/8, accepted 11/22) and I think her being there not only helped me keep things in perspective and stay calm, it was also a huge part of her being involved in the decision making process.
Just my opinion, though, and we all know what those are worth. 🙂
Awesome! I was intending to bring her but wasn't sure if she could actually come along on interview day. That's wonderful news! Thank you so much for the informative reply. I can't get over how awesome this thread is and can only imagine that it's a reflection of the school, students, and faculty. I'm replying via mobile after finishing some late night biochem, so forgive my brevity: It's nearly 2am and I have to be at work at 6am. Eek. G'night.
I found I had a lot of misconceptions about Quillen. I knew I liked the people, and I was very interested in the small class size. But I didn't know much about the school or the facilities and I came away impressed. I imagined this sort of heavy focus on rural medicine (which you can certainly choose), but when I saw JC Medical Center, the VA, and a St. Jude complete with Pediatric ER? I was really impressed.
I walked in really hoping I did well and got an acceptance, and I walked out REALLY wanting an acceptance. When I got accepted a couple of weeks ago, I was just smitten. I am looking forward to getting up there!
I walked in really hoping I did well and got an acceptance, and I walked out REALLY wanting an acceptance. When I got accepted a couple of weeks ago, I was just smitten. I am looking forward to getting up there!
I found I had a lot of misconceptions about Quillen. I knew I liked the people, and I was very interested in the small class size. But I didn't know much about the school or the facilities and I came away impressed. I imagined this sort of heavy focus on rural medicine (which you can certainly choose), but when I saw JC Medical Center, the VA, and a St. Jude complete with Pediatric ER? I was really impressed.
I walked in really hoping I did well and got an acceptance, and I walked out REALLY wanting an acceptance. When I got accepted a couple of weeks ago, I was just smitten. I am looking forward to getting up there!
Super true. A friend of mine started in July, and he kept telling me "Man, it's awesome! You have to come see this place." I dismissed what he said, but when I finally got to see it for myself, it kind of blew me away. It would be an awesome place to go to school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone sent an update letter? If so, who do I need to send the email to?
Hope finals went well for everyone!
Scratch that, I figured it out...Waiting is soooo painful
Hope finals went well for everyone!
Scratch that, I figured it out...Waiting is soooo painful
Last edited:
Anyone heard any news lately? Been too quiet on here...
Yep thats when they told my interview group they would be meeting...hopefully we will all know something by Christmas, cant think of a better present!!
the best present would be an acceptance lolYep thats when they told my interview group they would be meeting...hopefully we will all know something by Christmas, cant think of a better present!!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.