You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when ETSU releases final decisions for those of us on hold? Like whether we are waitlisted or rejected?
ETSU has a rolling policy on waitlist movement (aka "hold status"). They accept people from the waitlist according to an unreleased ranking system as long as people are withdrawing their seats in exchange for other schools' acceptances. (They're also apparently rejecting people as more competitive applicants interview later in the season.)
In other words, while a few people are being accepted off the waitlist each month, it could potentially go to the very end of the AAMC traffic rules or beyond before it's all said and done. According to the traffic rules, regular MD matriculating students are given two weeks from May 15 to commit to an acceptance. If you're going by that landmark, there should be significant movement between May 15 and May 29. While that butterfly-effect may account for most seats over the following few weeks, sometimes students may decide at the very last minute, right before or during class, to defer a year for whatever reason (e.g., personal hardship, fellowship award, research development, etc.). Those are the rare cases, as with my current Principal Investigator who went to UMDNJ, where she got a furtive phone call on day 2 of orientation inviting her to attend the school.
So the only thing we waitlisters can do now is try our best to maintain some semblance of sanity while waiting, taking solace in the fact that they've historically taken about 60% of their class from the waitlist. I hope this doesn't disappoint you too much. In reality, while trichotillomaniacally torturous, this is actually good news. Good luck.

Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So receiving a hold is basically the same thing as being waitlisted here? They don't release a final "waitlist" as different from the hold status? Because I thought that being on hold meant your application was basically still under review.
ETSU has a rolling policy on waitlist movement (aka "hold status"). They accept people from the waitlist according to an unreleased ranking system as long as people are withdrawing their seats in exchange for other schools' acceptances. (They're also apparently rejecting people as more competitive applicants interview later in the season.)
In other words, while a few people are being accepted off the waitlist each month, it could potentially go to the very end of the AAMC traffic rules or beyond before it's all said and done. According to the traffic rules, regular MD matriculating students are given two weeks from May 15 to commit to an acceptance. If you're going by that landmark, there should be significant movement between May 15 and May 29. While that butterfly-effect may account for most seats over the following few weeks, sometimes students may decide at the very last minute, right before or during class, to defer a year for whatever reason (e.g., personal hardship, fellowship award, research development, etc.). Those are the rare cases, as with my current Principal Investigator who went to UMDNJ, where she got a furtive phone call on day 2 of orientation inviting her to attend the school.
So the only thing we waitlisters can do now is try our best to maintain some semblance of sanity while waiting, taking solace in the fact that they've historically taken about 60% of their class from the waitlist. I hope this doesn't disappoint you too much. In reality, while trichotillomaniacally torturous, this is actually good news. Good luck.![]()
Thank you for your help!
So receiving a hold is basically the same thing as being waitlisted here? They don't release a final "waitlist" as different from the hold status? Because I thought that being on hold meant your application was basically still under review.
Thank you for your help!
Yes, a hold status is equivalent to a waitlist spot here, the difference being the rating system. At each meeting the committee discusses the month's interviewees and assigns each applicant a rating from something like 1 to 8, 1 being an all out rejection and an 8 being an offer of admission. Those receiving a hold status were competitive enough that they're willing to accept the applicants should the most competitive applicants receiving an offer decide to matriculate elsewhere. As more people interview and people begin withdrawing acceptances to go elsewhere, they accept the fresh interviewees determined more competitive or assign them a spot on the waitlist and reject those with lower ratings. Does that make sense? It's a pretty fluid and privy system, with no release of information until you either receive an offer or a rejection.
Yeah, that makes sense and I understand a lot better now. Thank you again!Yes, a hold status is equivalent to a waitlist spot here, the difference being the rating system. At each meeting the committee discusses the month's interviewees and assigns each applicant a rating from something like 1 to 8, 1 being an all out rejection and an 8 being an offer of admission. Those receiving a hold status were competitive enough that they're willing to accept the applicants should the most competitive applicants receiving an offer decide to matriculate elsewhere. As more people interview and people begin withdrawing acceptances to go elsewhere, they accept the fresh interviewees determined more competitive or assign them a spot on the waitlist and reject those with lower ratings. Does that make sense? It's a pretty fluid and privy system, with no release of information until you either receive an offer or a rejection.
Yeah, that makes sense and I understand a lot better now. Thank you again!
No prob, Bob, glad to help. I hope to meet you should we both be lucky enough to receive an offer of admission. Good luck.
Hi everyone, I've applied to other schools for 2012 acceptance, but it's not looking good, so I'm trying to pre-write for a 2013 acceptance. For those of you that interviewed/got acceptances, how did you approach the question about cultural competency?
My first thought is that I do this everyday; my coworkers and classmates were not all from the same background as I am, but we get our work done, study and have fun, regardless of religious standing, where we were raised, our political or social attitudes, etc.
Any suggestions on where to start?
My first thought is that I do this everyday; my coworkers and classmates were not all from the same background as I am, but we get our work done, study and have fun, regardless of religious standing, where we were raised, our political or social attitudes, etc.
Any suggestions on where to start?
So...uhm...this could totally be a package...but did anyone get an acceptance letter via Registered Mail rather than Certified Mail? I got notice that I have something in Registered Mail waiting for me at the post office yesterday. WHY IS TODAY SUNDAY!? 
Thanks for the help...

Thanks for the help...
Good luck da! I'm sure it's good news
*sigh* Thanks, but it's a package I've been expecting from the UK. I just emailed my colleague and asked her if she sent it via a signature service. Sure enough, I have to sign for it: dangit. I mean, the committee hasn't even met for this month yet. This wait will be the death of me yet. LoL
Good luck guys and gals.
Last edited:
I was put on hold today... Sigh....
Does anyone know when the committee meets again? This is so disheartening.
I know, I cannot take this waiting. I wish I knew where I was on the list, at least. Already in at once school but it's hard to embrace while I keep hanging on to this chance that I might get into Quillen. If anyone finds out when the next meeting is please post on here!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well Lynn you are in a better position than I am haha. I hate how they won't tell you where you are on the list!
They also updated the "entering stats" page yesterday to reflect the most recent changes. I think they added about 17 people to the hold list. Has anyone been rejected off the hold list? It'll take a few days before anyone receives a new acceptance since they're sent via certified mail.
I'm pretty sure the next and final meeting to discuss new interviewees is the last week of March, as has been the pattern. From then on they should only be meeting to accept/reject people off of hold status as others withdraw acceptances. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure the next and final meeting to discuss new interviewees is the last week of March, as has been the pattern. From then on they should only be meeting to accept/reject people off of hold status as others withdraw acceptances. Good luck.
So does anyone know when the nest meeting of the admissions committee is?
Does any one know, why there are 76 acceptances listed on Quillen website? Has their class size grown or are there 5 extra acceptances offered in anticipation of last minute switch?
Does any one know, why there are 76 acceptances listed on Quillen website? Has their class size grown or are there 5 extra acceptances offered in anticipation of last minute switch?
Not sure. If I recall correctly, Doug said on interview day that if they really like 2 applicants but there is only one spot, they may just take both. However, with a couple of months still to go (and the option to keep people on the wait list), I'm assuming that some of the acceptances aren't expected to matriculate.
right here 😳They also updated the "entering stats" page yesterday to reflect the most recent changes. I think they added about 17 people to the hold list. Has anyone been rejected off the hold list? It'll take a few days before anyone receives a new acceptance since they're sent via certified mail.
Sorry to hear that.....🙁
it happens. im just glad that they allowed me the courtesy of moving on instead of dragging me along. im very grateful for the opportunity to have toured and interviewed. at least i got free lunch and a pen out of it lol
it happens. im just glad that they allowed me the courtesy of moving on instead of dragging me along. im very grateful for the opportunity to have toured and interviewed. at least i got free lunch and a pen out of it lol
Haha. My pen broke in the first week, and I was too nervous on interview day to eat. Lol. At least I got an acceptance for my troubles!!!! Not too shabby!!!!
I actually think it's more of a function of your personality and interview as a whole rather than just being easier or more lenient at either school. The two schools have a very specific and somewhat different idea of the ideal student; but they'll obviously still admit non-ideal students...
pretty sure that ETSU is harder to get into than UTHSC... at least thats what ive been told
I'm not sure if that's completely accurate. I thought as far as GPA and MCAT numbers go, they are pretty similar. I applied to both, and heard from ETSU faaaar earlier than UT. I've also spoken with my PCP in Knox, and he said when he applied he heard from UT immediately and never heard anything from ETSU. But that was probably 10 years ago so idk...😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure if that's completely accurate. I thought as far as GPA and MCAT numbers go, they are pretty similar. I applied to both, and heard from ETSU faaaar earlier than UT. I've also spoken with my PCP in Knox, and he said when he applied he heard from UT immediately and never heard anything from ETSU. But that was probably 10 years ago so idk...😕
This matches my experience: I received my invite from ETSU in November, after being verified about a month or two, and didn't hear from UT until they asked me for fall grades in January. While they said that they're planning to interview me (back in February), I still haven't received a date.
Alright, the committee should be meeting today. Good luck to everyone. I hope to see some acceptance posts here in a couple of days.
Accepted off the wait list today!!!
How were you notified? Did you receive an e-mail or letter?Accepted off the wait list today!!!
Congrats Sinfonian! I'm so happy for you, especially since we interviewed together. Would you mind sharing or PMing your stats?
Accepted off the wait list today!!!
Congrats!!!! Is this where you plan on going?
Nothing mail-wise in Nashville. God, even with trying desperately not to get my hopes up, what a visceral disappointment to find nothing but junk mail. :-(
If you're in TN, certified mail tends to arrive the next day.
If you're in TN, certified mail tends to arrive the next day.
They probably didn't mail anything out until today. I've done some research on here and it looks like certified letters tend to arriv the Friday or Saturday after a Monday meeting. But now that it appears that Sinfonian may have recieved a phone call, I'm wondering if they chose to call people this go around (in addition to the snail mail letter that will follow)
Got a call today from Doug...I was accepted off the wait list! I've been wait listed since August so it's been a loooong road. I live in JC, and will most definitely be attending! I have no other outstanding apps. Just for the record, I'm a 27 yr old male, graduated in 07' with an accounting degree, then returned to take (literally) all of my science courses. 27 MCAT and around 3.7 GPA for those that might be wondering what kind of scores they are accepting. I'm so excited and feel so lucky!!! Good luck to everyone!!
Wow, I didn't expect calls this soon. Congrats, predcanes. I have a similar story/stats. I hope the calls continue. Good luck everyone.
Got a call today from Doug...I was accepted off the wait list! I've been wait listed since August so it's been a loooong road. I live in JC, and will most definitely be attending! I have no other outstanding apps. Just for the record, I'm a 27 yr old male, graduated in 07' with an accounting degree, then returned to take (literally) all of my science courses. 27 MCAT and around 3.7 GPA for those that might be wondering what kind of scores they are accepting. I'm so excited and feel so lucky!!! Good luck to everyone!!
Congrats! I just moved to JC a few months ago w/ my fiancée. Feel free to PM me if u ever want to meet up before school starts!
I received a call from Doug yesterday and yes, I plan on attending here.
Has anyone else heard anything yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm still on the hold list. Been there since October.
I've been on hold since September. I'm already got into my backup but I really want to get in here. I guess I'll have to wait until May 15. The good news is that at least I am in somewhere.
Actually, since ETSU starts in July, their deadline is April 15th rather than May 15th. So there should be massive WL movement starting mid to late April. GL (I'm still on hold, too.)
For me, I haven't gotten in anywhere else, and I got a no final decision from UT in February, so trying diligently not to obsess about it.
Is anyone able to confirm April 15th as their deadline? I had it written down as May 15th after my interview, but since they start in July it would make sense that it was in April.Actually, since ETSU starts in July, their deadline is April 15th rather than May 15th. So there should be massive WL movement starting mid to late April. GL (I'm still on hold, too.)
- Status
- Not open for further replies.