You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 East Tennessee (Quillen) Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, they are still interviewing people. And I haven't seen anything about April 15th being their deadline either. Check out last year's thread.
It's not "their deadline." It's the AAMC's traffic rules that implore medical schools to beign weeding through the many students that are holding multiple seats while waiting to hear back from their top choice schools, so as to give those of us on the WLs an opportunity to accept a seat:
"After May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30 [ETSU's first day of orientation is July 23rd, first day of class July 25]), April 30 for M.D.-Ph.D. programs, each school or program implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs. These procedures:
a. May require applicants to:
1. Respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks.
2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
2. Submit a statement of intent, a deposit, or both.
b. Should recognize the problems of applicants with multiple acceptance offers, applicants who have not yet received an acceptance offer, and applicants who have not yet been informed about financial aid opportunities at schools to which they have been accepted.
c. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' or programs' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school or program. "
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html
c. Should permit accepted applicants to remain on other schools' or programs' waiting lists and to withdraw if they later receive an acceptance offer from a preferred school or program. "
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62826/policies_admissionofficers.html
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's always on the last week of the month. But I can't remember what weekday, specifically.
Oh okay. I wasn't sure if they would meet eariler considering the deadline was last weekend.
No, I think they always send out more acceptances than seats and just sent out "confirm your seat or withdraw" letters to those with multiple acceptances. It'll probably be the first week of May before we hear anything else. Just my guess, though, based on last year's threads and their current habits.
I withdrew my application and will be going elsewhere. REALLY liked Quillen and Johnson City but financially couldn't hack the out of state tuition
Dibs!
I withdrew my application and will be going elsewhere. REALLY liked Quillen and Johnson City but financially couldn't hack the out of state tuition
Sorry to hear that. Good luck wherever you end up going!
Dibs!

Sorry to hear that. Good luck wherever you end up going!
![]()
Thank you! I will be attending the University of Arizona. I will continue to follow this thread and will be routing for you guys to get in 👍
Has anyone received an acceptance or a rejection since April 15th? I'm guessing they're not moving the WL until the committee meets this week or the following Monday. :-(
New stats are up
Noticed that the "current accepted" numbers reduced to the projected class size for next year. Does anyone know if the "on hold" category changed at all? Can't remember the numbers... Also, do they come out with a formal waitlist or is the "hold" category basically the waitlist?
New stats are up
Thanks. They went from 94 on hold to 87 and from 12 OOS accepted to 8. Not much of a change at all. :-( Waitlists, I loathe them. FML
Noticed that the "current accepted" numbers reduced to the projected class size for next year. Does anyone know if the "on hold" category changed at all? Can't remember the numbers... Also, do they come out with a formal waitlist or is the "hold" category basically the waitlist?
The "hold" category is the waitlist. Unlike many other schools, we never know where we stand. We only find out, as time progresses, whether we're taken off the list and admitted or rejected. It's a very unnerving process, to say the least.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do they decide who comes off the hold list, accepted or rejected? In other words, is the admissions committee done?
How do they decide who comes off the hold list, accepted or rejected? In other words, is the admissions committee done?
From what I remember, I believe they said that they'll meet monthly to discuss the applicants on hold and replace dropped seats. But I'm not a 100% on that. Maybe a current student could answer that for us?
I got a call and was accepted today! I've never been so excited in my life! I guess they are filling the seats with the hold list, as I was put on hold in November. Good luck to all of you!!
Congrats! I hope to GOD I get a call!
I got a call and was accepted today! I've never been so excited in my life! I guess they are filling the seats with the hold list, as I was put on hold in November. Good luck to all of you!!
Congrats!!!! I take it you plan on matriculating?
Congrats! I hope to GOD I get a call!
Keep your head up! We're all rooting for ya!
Thanks Ducky. I just got rejected from UT, so this is my last chance this year.
Thanks Ducky. I just got rejected from UT, so this is my last chance this year.
I'm sorry to hear that. I applied to UT, but was hoping for ETSU. I'm not familiar with Memphis and the crime rate concerned me. I had already moved to Johnson City and found a job before UT even sent me an interview invite. Of course, they were too late.
Did you apply DO?
I'm sorry to hear that. I applied to UT, but was hoping for ETSU. I'm not familiar with Memphis and the crime rate concerned me. I had already moved to Johnson City and found a job before UT even sent me an interview invite. Of course, they were too late.
Did you apply DO?
No, it didn't even occur to me until January or February. I decided to take my chances rather than apply so near the deadline. This next cycle, if ETSU falls through, I intend to apply to MD, Texas MD, and DO. I'm fairly certain I could've gotten into a very good DO program had it occured to me to apply DO last September when I got my scores back. *sigh* Live and learn.
No, it didn't even occur to me until January or February. I decided to take my chances rather than apply so near the deadline. This next cycle, if ETSU falls through, I intend to apply to MD, Texas MD, and DO. I'm fairly certain I could've gotten into a very good DO program had it occured to me to apply DO last September when I got my scores back. *sigh* Live and learn.
I feel that you would have been competitive at a good DO program, too. Well, whatever happens, don't lose hope! I took a gap year last year after seeing my first MCAT score, and it all worked out. If nothing pans out this cycle, keep your head up and give it another shot!
I am M2 at quillen. After reading some posts here, I would like to share my story. I interviewed in early February (applied late) and was put on hold/waitlist until the acceptance email on May 18. I was on waitlist at UT at that time too. I was already preparing for the next round.
To whoever waiting (anywhere), don't lose hope. I have heard that some people got in from waitlist even in June.
I was non traditional student. Stats: BCMP 3.59, Cum 3.64, MCAT 30. In-state from Nashville area.
Good luck to everyone.
To whoever waiting (anywhere), don't lose hope. I have heard that some people got in from waitlist even in June.
I was non traditional student. Stats: BCMP 3.59, Cum 3.64, MCAT 30. In-state from Nashville area.
Good luck to everyone.
Last edited:
I am M2 at quillen. After reading some posts here, I would like to share my story. I interviewed in early February (applied late) and was put on hold/waitlist until the acceptance email on May 18. I was on waitlist at UT at that time too. I was already preparing for the next round.
To whoever waiting (anywhere), don't lose hope. I have heard that some people got in from waitlist even in June.
I was non traditional student. Stats: BCMP 3.59, Cum 3.64, MCAT 30. In-state from Nashville area.
Good luck to everyone.
^ 👍
So hopefully some of us on the hold list will hear something soon in the next week. Does anybody know when the committee meets again?
So hopefully some of us on the hold list will hear something soon in the next week. Does anybody know when the committee meets again?
I sure hope so. I've already completed my AMCAS, started work on TMDAS and AACOMAS, and bought an MCAT seat for July in case I get the axe. Even though I've already started spending all that money and getting into the reapplication mindset, I'd be ecstatic to get a call from Doug.
Anyway, they usually meet sometime during the last week of the month. I'm not sure if they'll meet shortly after May 15th... Do any current students have an idea of what's going on?
Do you know why on previous years' threads some people from the hold list said that Doug called them, they got an email about the acceptance letter being mailed, or they just got the letter in the mail? Why do they do different stuff for different people? I'd love to get a call too. Been on hold list since October.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you know why on previous years' threads some people from the hold list said that Doug called them, they got an email about the acceptance letter being mailed, or they just got the letter in the mail? Why do they do different stuff for different people? I'd love to get a call too. Been on hold list since October.
I'm fairly certain that at this point all acceptees are called first, but that some miss the call and get the letter as their first notice rather than the call. I don't think Doug leaves voicemails. That's just my guess, though. I've been wondering about that inconsistency, too.
I also noticed that in last year's thread someone was doubting that ETSU would offer 130 acceptances like they did in the 2009-2010 application year. And looking today, they did indeed send out 129 offers last year. I also noticed that by July 7th there were still 19 people on hold, which is probably indicative of people withdrawing their applications as time went on. I'm not sure that any of us on hold *at this point* will be rejected aside from the last "19" in July. It's looking better. But I'm still terrified and would love to be able to start planning. I have a meeting with my boss in an hour and half to discuss the upcoming year. I wish I could just put in my notice. Bah.
Just FYI, I got a "thanks for the update" response from Doug to the letter of interest I sent in back at the end of April. He had some encouraging words; but you could tell it's all out of his hands at this point.
I also heard from a current student that two of her classmates were accepted during the week before orientation. Don't lose hope until the fat lady sings.
I also heard from a current student that two of her classmates were accepted during the week before orientation. Don't lose hope until the fat lady sings.
So as people withdraw over the course of the next few days, is Doug just going to start replacing those spots using the hold list, or does the committee have to meet to decide who should be given those spots?
I've been on hold since October. So it would really stink to get a termination letter in the mail after all that waiting.
Yeah, I hear ya, Beaver. But the fact that you've been on hold that long while others have since been terminated means that the stats are on your side. Keep your head up. I imagine you'll be hearing something in the coming weeks ;-)
Thanks Deutsch Arzt. I sent an update letter in March, and Doug sent me a response, but I did not get the vibe from it that it my letter served no purpose at that point.
And I'm going to start studying for the MCAT today. Hold off on paying for it for at least a few more weeks in case I get some love from Quillen.
And I'm going to start studying for the MCAT today. Hold off on paying for it for at least a few more weeks in case I get some love from Quillen.
Thanks Deutsch Arzt. I sent an update letter in March, and Doug sent me a response, but I did not get the vibe from it that it my letter served no purpose at that point.
And I'm going to start studying for the MCAT today. Hold off on paying for it for at least a few more weeks in case I get some love from Quillen.
Be careful. I already bought mine several weeks ago and got a seat far later than I wanted. I'd recommend biting the bullet and getting the 50% refund if you get some love; that's what I'm doing. You may actually be too late for your hometown already and may have to drive pretty far at this point. Have you checked out what seats are available? Mine is for July 6th.
Anyone know of any waitlist movement?
Nada aquí. Last year it took a few days before people started finding out. I imagine we'll start hearing things on Friday.
This waiting is killing me. It is consuming my life haha I just want to know already!
This waiting is killing me. It is consuming my life haha I just want to know already!
God, I know! And it's not just me: It's killing my wife, my boss, and the 3 people vying for my job should I leave for med school this year. I wish it was a better system.
I do not want to be on hold well into July. I wish they would just let me know one way or another. I mean I feel very confident that I'm towards the top of the wait list, because I honestly thought I would get initially accepted rather than be put on hold. I've been told that if the score you received out of 36 is the same as someone who interviewed earlier than you, then they are put on the wait list first. (i.e. if a guy interviewed in january and was scored a 29, then someone who interviewed in December and got a 29 would be ahead on the list)
I do not want to be on hold well into July. I wish they would just let me know one way or another. I mean I feel very confident that I'm towards the top of the wait list, because I honestly thought I would get initially accepted rather than be put on hold. I've been told that if the score you received out of 36 is the same as someone who interviewed earlier than you, then they are put on the wait list first. (i.e. if a guy interviewed in january and was scored a 29, then someone who interviewed in December and got a 29 would be ahead on the list)
Interesting. I think at this point we're all on the list until the end. They're probably not going to send out termination letters until after school starts. And that worries me. I really don't want to be on hold all the way through July, either. It's bad enough having waited since January, or later, like those of you on hold since October (e.g., Junior Beaver).
The only good thing is that the statistics are on our side. In addition to those withdrawing for other acceptances, I bet some people without acceptances will also withdraw in the coming weeks just to have a definitive idea of what they're doing (e.g., better prepare for reapplication). I don't know. My mind is racing. Some days I'm sure I'll get some love. Other days I wallow in sorrow that it'll be another year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mind is racing. Some days Im sure Ill get some love. Other days I wallow in sorrow that itll be another year.
Hahaha this statement encompasses the last 3 months of my life. It is such a roller coaster. I will be devastated if I don't get in this year. At this point there is really nothing we can do but hope and pray.
Hahaha this statement encompasses the last 3 months of my life. It is such a roller coaster. I will be devastated if I don't get in this year. At this point there is really nothing we can do but hope and pray.
Exactly. As a neurotic aside, after looking at last year's thread and last year's calendar, it appears that the first acceptance letters should arrive today. Last year the 15th fell on a Sunday and letters were received on the 19th. According to this year, if things are the same, a select few of us should receive an acceptance today.
Good luck everyone. My life will be complete if I come home to a missed certified letter. LoL
Exactly. As a neurotic aside, after looking at last year's thread and last year's calendar, it appears that the first acceptance letters should arrive today. Last year the 15th fell on a Sunday and letters were received on the 19th. According to this year, if things are the same, a select few of us should receive an acceptance today.
Good luck everyone. My life will be complete if I come home to a missed certified letter. LoL
Haha the sick and almost sadistic thing is that I have checked back the past three years lol.... I think it will be Friday, but if it is today that would be wonderful!
Hahaha! That totally makes me feel so much better! I wonder if anyone from the adcom trolls this thread and watches to see just how neurotic/enthusiastic we truly are. LoL
I would rather get a call. Haha
- Status
- Not open for further replies.