-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by Sammich117
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
I wonder if I am waitlisted/rejected too...
anyone have any idea if decisions per interview day are sent out around the same time? can someone still get accepted if at a later date than others? or does it just mean everyone who didn't get accepted is waitlisted....?
I think there is some variability in when decisions are sent out; depends on whether or not your interviewer is available, etc.anyone have any idea if decisions per interview day are sent out around the same time? can someone still get accepted if at a later date than others? or does it just mean everyone who didn't get accepted is waitlisted....?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think there is some variability in when decisions are sent out; depends on whether or not your interviewer is available, etc.
oh, so the interviewer has to be present when the committee reviews an applicant? maybe i'm misunderstanding it
That's what a current student had mentioned at the time of my interview. Hope that helps.
It did, thank u 🙂
Found out on 2/27 that I was waitlisted. (I interviewed on 12/16.) Since I'm already into a better school, I withdrew my application from further consideration.
Hope that this eventually opens up a spot for someone else!
Hope that this eventually opens up a spot for someone else!
So where are you going?Found out on 2/27 that I was waitlisted. (I interviewed on 12/16.) Since I'm already into a better school, I withdrew my application from further consideration.
Hope that this eventually opens up a spot for someone else!
alternate list 🙁, but totally expected. interviewed 1/13/12
Waitlisted today. I'm heartbroken because I loved the school. Is there any point in staying hopeful?
Interviewed 1/12
I think there is. I met a student there who was on the wait list last year and he said not to give up! so hang in there 🙂
1/13 interview and I just got alternate listed. Does anyone know if GW will accept another letter of recommendation? If so would I have to send it through AMCAS?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1/13 interview and I just got alternate listed. Does anyone know if GW will accept another letter of recommendation? If so would I have to send it through AMCAS?
Hey yeah I asked them if we could do another letter of rec and they said no problem. I dont know if it has to be through AMCAS though, or if we can just send it directly...
So where are you going?
Most likely Wake Forest. Still waiting to hear about another couple, but will likely end up there anyway.
Alternate list today as well.
Alternate list today as well.
I'm sorry to hear 🙁 .... When did you interview?
alternate list. 1/20 as well. sigh! does anyone know if there is an official thread for GW wait list?
I'm sorry to hear 🙁 .... When did you interview?
I interviewed January 10th.
Everyone would love a straight up acceptance, but I think GW has a lot of waitless movement. I'm guessing but the sheer amount of applications that it is a safe school for a lot of people and therefore, people will pull out once they are accepted at a better school or their dream school. Waiting just plain sucks though. I wonder if there is a way to make things go faster. Nothing sucks like waiting 8-10 weeks, get waitlisted and potentially waiting several more months.
I interviewed January 10th.
Everyone would love a straight up acceptance, but I think GW has a lot of waitless movement. I'm guessing but the sheer amount of applications that it is a safe school for a lot of people and therefore, people will pull out once they are accepted at a better school or their dream school. Waiting just plain sucks though. I wonder if there is a way to make things go faster. Nothing sucks like waiting 8-10 weeks, get waitlisted and potentially waiting several more months.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but GW has very weak waitlist movement because the alternate list is huge. They interview 1000 people and nobody gets a rejection; everyone who doesn't get an acceptance gets placed on the waitlist. Only a couple(~5) of SDN folk ended up getting off of the waitlist last year. I'd say that getting off of the waitlist at GW is just as difficult as getting an interview there.
I have also heard that it's very, very hard to get moved off GW's alt list - disappointing since I'm one of those thousand people sitting in alternate list purgatory. I liked GW a LOT so I'm still trying to keep hope alive but realistically I know it's very unlikely.I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but GW has very weak waitlist movement because the alternate list is huge. They interview 1000 people and nobody gets a rejection; everyone who doesn't get an acceptance gets placed on the waitlist. Only a couple(~5) of SDN folk ended up getting off of the waitlist last year. I'd say that getting off of the waitlist at GW is just as difficult as getting an interview there.
Seeing how I sent in a letter of intent before getting placed on the alternate list, should I send another letter saying I am still interested? If yes, I'm not really sure what else I could write without just repeating the same letter.
I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but GW has very weak waitlist movement because the alternate list is huge. They interview 1000 people and nobody gets a rejection; everyone who doesn't get an acceptance gets placed on the waitlist. Only a couple(~5) of SDN folk ended up getting off of the waitlist last year. I'd say that getting off of the waitlist at GW is just as difficult as getting an interview there.
8 people got off the waitlist last year that posted on SDN. I'd estimate about 700-800 get placed on in total
Send letters as you have updates I guess. Sometime before May they'll ask for people who are still interested in remaining on the waitlist and actually request letters from those people
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
guys, im not trying to be mean, just realistic.. but lets assume there are 100s, potentially 1000s of applicants every year who have never looked at or posted on SDN. just because only 8-10 posted it on here, there could be many many more who were offered that spot and either turned it down or didnt post here. (trying to make myself feel better as well)
When does the alternate list movement begin? April/May?? Sorry if this has been covered in earlier posts, but I'd appreciate it if someone could reply. Alternate listed since Nov here! Phew!
I want to say May 4 or May 5 was the first day
Does anyone know how long it takes to get a financial aid package after sending your info in? I swear I remember at my interview, the financial officer said "couple" of weeks...however, I've heard from other people (regarding other schools) that you don't get financial aid info until mid-April.
Anyone else get the Alternate List email where we have to reply back to confirm if we want to stay on?
+1
Seems like they're trimming down the alternate pool in the same way that they did to the interview consideration pool. Anyone have any guesses/stats on how many people decide to stay on the alternate list?
+1. Just received that email about an hour ago.
+1, the form is pretty short though
+1, the form is pretty short though
+1. Yeah I wonder how many people bail, or just dont fill it out...
got the alternate email as well. was so excited when I saw an unexpected email from GW.. sigh..
well i found your original comments funny... 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
to everyone withdrawing:
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will love you until the day I die. i love you as much as apple pie.
- med school application process has made me a little crazy sorry everyone 😉
No worries I think it makes everyone a little crazy 🙂
Wellps, I'll withdraw my application. Good luck!
I'm withdrawing as well! BEST of luck to all!
Thank. You. 😍
Interestingly enough, I got this e-mail last year in early April, so I'm not sure why it's going out much sooner this year. Or maybe it depends on when you get interviewed
I also interviewed 2/2... no news yet

- Status
- Not open for further replies.