2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My AMCAS has not been verified yet, but I've already received this secondary. Do I have to wait to be verified before mailing it or can I just send it now?

Send it.

Members don't see this ad.

My AMCAS has not been verified yet, but I've already received this secondary. Do I have to wait to be verified before mailing it or can I just send it now?

Mine hasnt been verified either, but I am sending it regardless.

Oooo we have to do this by regular mail...why doesn't GW do things like the rest of the country

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified by June 2nd and still haven't received the secondary for GW... any ideas???

Oooo we have to do this by regular mail...why doesn't GW do things like the rest of the country

Agreed. It was pretty annoying adding/deleting something from the prompts and having to edit everything line by line to make it fit. It's 2011, c'mon GWU! :laugh:

I was verified by June 2nd and still haven't received the secondary for GW... any ideas???

Their website says it can take up to 2 weeks to get the secondary email. Everyone gets it so there's no need to worry at this point.

did you check your spam folder? I've had one secondary end up there.

Agreed. It was pretty annoying adding/deleting something from the prompts and having to edit everything line by line to make it fit. It's 2011, c'mon GWU! :laugh:

Yeah, that was pretty annoying. Not to mention that my pdf converter that I was using to try and save a copy of the app wouldn't print the pdf they had because it was encrypted or something. I had to save everything line by line in Microsoft word --;

Yeah, that was pretty annoying. Not to mention that my pdf converter that I was using to try and save a copy of the app wouldn't print the pdf they had because it was encrypted or something. I had to save everything line by line in Microsoft word --;

See, if you had a mac, you could save it. ;)

How exactly are you all typing on the PDF? I'm a little pdf illiterate, when I try to type on the secondary it keeps yelling at me.

Also, someone asked above if the application isn't verified, should we send the secondary in. My other question is in the same vein; should we send in the secondary if our LoRs are not all in yet?

Any help would be appreciated :)

How exactly are you all typing on the PDF? I'm a little pdf illiterate, when I try to type on the secondary it keeps yelling at me.

Also, someone asked above if the application isn't verified, should we send the secondary in. My other question is in the same vein; should we send in the secondary if our LoRs are not all in yet?

Any help would be appreciated :)

You have to click on each line individually before typing. A dialog box should appear on the line you just clicked. Then you should be A-OK to type in what you want.

I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is going to sound ocd and neurotic, but does the part about an offense include speeding tickets too? (doesn't specify criminal)

I've been told anything that could show up on your background check (which includes traffic violations I believe) should be listed. Just thought I'd share :)

I've been told anything that could show up on your background check (which includes traffic violations I believe) should be listed. Just thought I'd share :)

While it is true that everything will show up on your background check, You definitely DO NOT have to include traffic violations unless they were misdemeanors. Every application across the board says asks if you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor excluding MINOR MOVING VIOLATIONS!!!

For the 1st question they ask for greatest non-academic achievement. My personal statement already involves this story and talks about it in detail. Should I just repeat myself but maybe highlight different aspects I barely touch on in the essay or should I search my memory for something else?!

I feel like its a waste to repeat information.

missed this the first time I looked, but you can also fax or e-mail a scanned copy of your secondary to GW instead of mailing it.

missed this the first time I looked, but you can also fax or e-mail a scanned copy of your secondary to GW instead of mailing it.

The thing with e-mailing is, I don't think you can save the PDF file once you type in it (unless things have changed).

The thing with e-mailing is, I don't think you can save the PDF file once you type in it (unless things have changed).

eh, even if you could (which you can if you have acrobat professional), it wouldn't help because you still have to sign it. You can, however, scan it and e-mail it.

While it is true that everything will show up on your background check, You definitely DO NOT have to include traffic violations unless they were misdemeanors. Every application across the board says asks if you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor excluding MINOR MOVING VIOLATIONS!!!

I'm just stating what GW Admissions said themselves when a friend called: anything that will show up on your background check should be listed.

For the 1st question they ask for greatest non-academic achievement. My personal statement already involves this story and talks about it in detail. Should I just repeat myself but maybe highlight different aspects I barely touch on in the essay or should I search my memory for something else?!

I feel like its a waste to repeat information.

I know what you mean. I didn't write about mine in my personal statement, but did when AMCAS asked about my significant experiences in more detail. The most important thing to avoid is repeating verbatim what you said in your personal statement (according to UMich Admissions' twitter account http://twitter.com/#!/UMichMedAdmiss , it happens). Good luck! :)

well why don't the ppl who didn't get the secondary list their stats so we can determine if they screen or not?

I submitted on 6/21, unverified, and received the secondary the next day, trying to get into the mail by end of today, gonna send it priority, also sending without photo. my stats are:

2010 graduate of Emory University with BS in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology, cum GPA: 3.69, BCPM GPA: 3.63.

I did a postbacc at Temple University this past year, took graduate level advanced medical science classes, BCPM GPA:3.87.

Lots of community services (Habitat and Hospital work)
Extensive work experience as Pharmacy Tech.
Shadowed a plastic surgeon for an entire summer.

Letters of Rec: Physics 2 professor, Bio 1&2 Professor, and Organic chem 1&2 professor.

Now, for the bad new: most recent MCAT: 29: 10, 10, 9.

Composite MCAT: 30: 10, 11, 9.

What are people putting for
Describe your specific interest in MD program at GW. How do your experiences make you good fit for that?

Describe your specific interest in MD program at GW. How do your experiences make you good fit for that?

It's essentially asking you "Why do you want to come here?"

It's not that difficult. If you don't have a sincere answer save your $ for another school. Don't try and cop other people's response. :thumbup:

/grumpy mood today

It's essentially asking you "Why do you want to come here?"

It's not that difficult. If you don't have a sincere answer save your $ for another school. Don't try and cop other people's response. :thumbup:

/grumpy mood today

Seriously, I thought I was the only one that felt this way. Plus, my experiences =! your experiences. It's not going to kill people to take some time and troll a school's website to see what looks appealing.

Just thought I'd join the thread! Submitted my secondary on Wednesday! AMCAS submission: June 1, Verified June 8.
:luck: to everyone! I think we're all deserving.

Sent my secondary priority mail today. Submitted my AMCAS June 21st, overnighted my transcripts a week before, still waiting for verification. And agreed, we are all qualified.

"GW is cool. I'm pretty cool. I think my coolness and GW's coolness could mesh pretty goodly."

Wait, so can you type directly onto the application, and print it out? and mail it? or do we email it?

Also what if AMCAS is not verified and AMCAS has not received my school's letter packet

Wait, so can you type directly onto the application, and print it out? and mail it? or do we email it?

Also what if AMCAS is not verified and AMCAS has not received my school's letter packet

You can type directly on it (or print it out and hand write it) and then you mail it to George Washington. I sent mine certified mail so that I could track it and it only took two days.

You can still submit it without a verified AMCAS/letter packet. They probably won't look at it until you're complete at AMCAS, but getting your secondary in early can't hurt.

if you have questions about GW let me know, I went there for undergrad and know about the area, med school facilities, etc.

eh, even if you could (which you can if you have acrobat professional), it wouldn't help because you still have to sign it. You can, however, scan it and e-mail it.

Yea, I'll just fill it out, print it, sign it, scan it, and then e-mail it.

I don't trust Canada Post right now

Has anyone had GWU tell you that they received your secondary app? I mailed mine on June 18 and it still doesn't show up on my status check.

For the question asking about what we're doing from June 2011-June 2012 ... what if we don't know yet?

I just graduated this past month and am taking a gap year. I'm going to be travelling for a little of July and a lot of August (will still have internet access for secondaries and what not) but I don't really have anything set for afterward (I'm looking for a job and am signed up to start volunteering at a new hospital after my summer travels, but I don't know if that will be enough ...).

The only thing I do know is that I want to travel in the spring (hopefully after receiving an acceptance and before matriculation). I feel like these are slacker answers, even though part of my gap year is to leave academia for a year and travel to places I've never been before the hectic life that is med school.

For the question asking about what we're doing from June 2011-June 2012 ... what if we don't know yet?

I just graduated this past month and am taking a gap year. I'm going to be travelling for a little of July and a lot of August (will still have internet access for secondaries and what not) but I don't really have anything set for afterward (I'm looking for a job and am signed up to start volunteering at a new hospital after my summer travels, but I don't know if that will be enough ...).

The only thing I do know is that I want to travel in the spring (hopefully after receiving an acceptance and before matriculation). I feel like these are slacker answers, even though part of my gap year is to leave academia for a year and travel to places I've never been before the hectic life that is med school.

Just tell them your plan. As long as you are not staying home playing StarCraft it should be fine. You are a new graduate and everyone know how that works.

Has anyone had GWU tell you that they received your secondary app? I mailed mine on June 18 and it still doesn't show up on my status check.

I mailed mine via regular USPS mail with certification on 6/21, I received an email today confirming my secondary app.

blizzah, did the admissions office say you can email the secondary? Canada post is back to work today.

hrm i sent mine off on 6/22 and still haven't heard anything...should i email/call?

hrm i sent mine off on 6/22 and still haven't heard anything...should i email/call?

I think you should be fine. It hasn't been that long. Are your LORs in? You won't lose anything by calling, though.

I think you should be fine. It hasn't been that long. Are your LORs in? You won't lose anything by calling, though.

thanks for the reply. my letters are all in AMCAS already so they just have to click to download it and then it's all in. i sent them an email anyways so we'll see how that goes

Filling out this application is a pain. It takes forever to properly type out a sentence.

So is any one else just faxing it? I just feel like that would be easier and cheaper, but snail-mail seems to be the popular route here..

Status
Not open for further replies.