2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the complete status, here we go again!

Members don't see this ad.

almost done with my secondary :)

still waiting for my AMCAS to be verified, so it looks like I have time

Members don't see this ad :)
I stalked last year's ssd awhile ago and I think I remember that they concluded that being on hold meant that one adcom member had looked at the file and it still needed to be read by someone else. Maybe the holds mentioned this year mean the same thing? It still seems so early though...and I'm guessing everyone with these hold statuses is complete with letters of rec turned in because they wouldn't review your file before then, right?

Don't sweat the hold thing. So far that is the only thing anyone has gotten I think. At least that is what I am telling myself.:)

Anyway, until someone posts a different status, I think we are OK. Or they are just hoping some better applicants come along, and then they can reject us...

yea judging by last year's thread, the hold statuses seem pretty generic

Just emailed this one in. Now gotta wait till mid-september by the earliest to be complete! Darn Pre-Med committees!

Just emailed this one in. Now gotta wait till mid-september by the earliest to be complete! Darn Pre-Med committees!

That's absurd. My committee letter is already in. Sorry vick :(.

Wow, that is a really late committee - why so long? Ever consider forgoing the committee to better compete for rolling admit schools?

Wow, that is a really late committee - why so long? Ever consider forgoing the committee to better compete for rolling admit schools?

I've thought about that. I might do that in the end. Our committee starts meeting when school opens.. that is - last week of August. So kind of a bummer.

Based on last year's thread, people were starting to get interview invites by 7/19..geez! thats early! But I think their stats were 3.8 and 33, so people with those stats beware and watch out!

Hey all - I submitted my payment online but haven't received the confirmation email yet. Is the "Fee Payment Code" that is in that email the same as the "Authorization Code" from the payment website??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all - I submitted my payment online but haven't received the confirmation email yet. Is the "Fee Payment Code" that is in that email the same as the "Authorization Code" from the payment website??

I didn't get an email either, but I remember reading somewhere that although they would try to send an email, it wasn't required to submit the secondary.

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

If your school doesn't have a premed committee, then yes, you're good to go for GWU:

http://smhs.gwumc.edu/mdprograms/admissions/faqs#WhattypeoflettersofrecommendationarerequiredHowmany

What type of letters of recommendation are required? How many?

To complete their file, applicants are required to submit either:
  • A Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Committee (required if available to you) OR
  • Three letters from individuals (and no more than five), at least one of which must be from science faculty familiar with your academic work.

I love how you post the same question to a bunch of school threads instead of just looking up the information yourself. Don't be so LAZY!!!

for the ppl who emailed in their secondary, how did you attach the optional photo? i can't seem to find a way to paste it or import it into the pdf file, so can you just attach the pic file as a jpg with the scanned pdf? :( also, did everyone else have the problem on the pdf where it doesn't wrap to the next line...lastly, can we just email it to [email protected]? just checking. thanks!

for the ppl who emailed in their secondary, how did you attach the optional photo? i can't seem to find a way to paste it or import it into the pdf file, so can you just attach the pic file as a jpg with the scanned pdf? :( also, did everyone else have the problem on the pdf where it doesn't wrap to the next line...lastly, can we just email it to [email protected]? just checking. thanks!

I had these same problems. I didn't bother with the picture as it was optional. If I am lucky enough to get an interview, then I imagine they will just take one there. You could paste one to your application before scanning, I presume.

My pdf of the completely secondary did cut off a few letters. Upon reading it, it was pretty clear what the words should be, but if you're worried, I would just correct it in black ink before scanning it.

Lastly, that's the correct email. I got a response within a few hours confirming receipt and then another a few hours after the first with completion.

Hope that answers your questions.

yes, you can send the pic as a separate jpg file.

I have a scanner at my university which converts directly into pdf file and I attached that to send to the email ID provided.

If you have adobe professional, you can merge it in there. Or use Paint :D

Hey guys. Quick question about the GW curriculum

One thing that I found really appealing about the GW curriculum was their assigning students to primary-care physicians as part of a personalized apprenticeship. I haven't really researched too many other schools. Do y'all know if this is unique to GW or is this is a common feature of medical education at a lot of other schools?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hey guys. Quick question about the GW curriculum

One thing that I found really appealing about the GW curriculum was their assigning students to primary-care physicians as part of a personalized apprenticeship. I haven't really researched too many other schools. Do y'all know if this is unique to GW or is this is a common feature of medical education at a lot of other schools?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

A lot of schools are trying to include a longitudinal clinical experience. I believe GW has been doing it for a while, but other schools are starting to do the same.

Question for those with complete status: how log does it take them to recognize and match the LoRs with our file? In other words, how long did it take for them to say your app is complete once you submitted LoRs and secondary? Thanks!

Question for those with complete status: how log does it take them to recognize and match the LoRs with our file? In other words, how long did it take for them to say your app is complete once you submitted LoRs and secondary? Thanks!

About a week.

Current status:

"Your application is complete and under review by the committee. Correspondence concerning the status of your application will be emailed to you shortly."
:scared::scared::scared::scared:

I was placed on hold :(. Hopefully the thoughts that being placed on hold is generic and not a big deal is true. Still, I'm not that happy about it.

I was placed on hold :(. Hopefully the thoughts that being placed on hold is generic and not a big deal is true. Still, I'm not that happy about it.

Hey Steve and everyone on hold,
Dont be disappointed..I think this is just part of the application process. I looked deep into it and this is what I found from their FAQ link:

How long after my file is complete will I be notified of a decision?

Interviews are offered on a rolling basis. Most files are reviewed within six weeks of when they are completed. Please keep in mind that many files are put on hold each year and re-reviewed later in the application season

So there still remains a huge chance of getting accepted! Cheers!

Hey Steve and everyone on hold,
Dont be disappointed..I think this is just part of the application process. I looked deep into it and this is what I found from their FAQ link:

How long after my file is complete will I be notified of a decision?

Interviews are offered on a rolling basis. Most files are reviewed within six weeks of when they are completed. Please keep in mind that many files are put on hold each year and re-reviewed later in the application season

So there still remains a huge chance of getting accepted! Cheers!

True. No reason to have a negative attitude about it. Thanks for the encouragement!

I was on hold for 6 months last year before finally being rejected. Hopefully the improvements I made to my app will get me looked at loool.

I was placed on hold last year in August, interviewed the last week of Feb., and was accepted.

I was placed on hold last year in August, interviewed the last week of Feb., and was accepted.

Thanks for the input- that is encouraging. For now, I'll just focus on other schools until my status at GW changes. Thanks again!

My file was placed on hold also. Hopefully it'll change sometime this year in a positive way!

Hope this isn't redundant/stupid - i got my completed e-mail but not ID and password to check my status. Does this come in a separate e-mail?

Hope this isn't redundant/stupid - i got my completed e-mail but not ID and password to check my status. Does this come in a separate e-mail?

Go to this link: https://jack.gwumc.gwu.edu/AdmissionWeb/ and then click on the first time user, which will guide you through the steps and you will receive the passowrd in the email you have designated. Hope this helps!

look im just saying that GW knows that they're a "Safety school" for many applicants with great stats (i.e. higher than their averages)...thus, i think (and others too) that GW place such applicants on hold, because they are concerned about "yield" or wtvr...

...just sayin (look at the stats of the ppl with an interview from here and last years thread, vs. those on hold)

I don't think anyone is getting any different status until around the 18th. Last year's thread didn't see interviews until the 18th or so, and all other applicants were placed on hold before then. One guy was on hold around now, then received an interview on the 18th when it appeared like GW was starting to send them out. Being this early in the application cycle, I think that the hold status is indeed a generic one.

look im just saying that GW knows that they're a "Safety school" for many applicants with great stats (i.e. higher than their averages)...thus, i think (and others too) that GW place such applicants on hold, because they are concerned about "yield" or wtvr...

...just sayin (look at the stats of the ppl with an interview from here and last years thread, vs. those on hold)

I don't have elite stats. 31 MCAT, 3.6-3.7 GPA. However, it would be cool if they did consider me elite :D.

Since there haven't been any interview invites given out yet and everyone has been put on hold, I'm guessing GW is waiting for more people to apply to give out interview invites.

Since there haven't been any interview invites given out yet and everyone has been put on hold, I'm guessing GW is waiting for more people to apply to give out interview invites.

Yea- that is a really good point. That's how I'm choosing to view it as well :D.

Yea- that is a really good point. That's how I'm choosing to view it as well :D.

You went through the stages really fast, Steve! I'm in your boat (applying to almost 40 schools, many of which you are too) so I hope to be where you are in a few hours lol

You went through the stages really fast, Steve! I'm in your boat (applying to almost 40 schools, many of which you are too) so I hope to be where you are in a few hours lol

Haha- just take it as it is. We are still in the game for this school. I'm not quite at 40 schools, but I also have a good amount of schools to focus on in the mean time. Here's to hoping we both get positive outcomes with this hold status.

Haha- just take it as it is. We are still in the game for this school. I'm not quite at 40 schools, but I also have a good amount of schools to focus on in the mean time. Here's to hoping we both get positive outcomes with this hold status.

Also just placed on hold today

Prateek, I believe you were in the 8-20 MCAT group last year?

I think all 3 of us are going to make it, esp. since we were placed on hold so late:cool:

Prateek, I believe you were in the 8-20 MCAT group last year?

I think all 3 of us are going to make it, esp. since we were placed on hold so late:cool:

I was actually on 8/13 lol Friday the 13th!!

I was actually on 8/13 lol Friday the 13th!!

By the way, your stats are pretty awesome, and that makes me think even more that this first round of "hold" statuses are generic.

Just to chime in, I am also on hold. 3.82 cGPA in Biomedical Engineering, 3.93 sGPA and 31R (11/10/10) MCAT. Hopefully all of our statuses change soon to interview invites!

Status
Not open for further replies.