2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is any one else just faxing it? I just feel like that would be easier and cheaper, but snail-mail seems to be the popular route here..

Scan and e-mail for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Scan and e-mail for me.

I sent in my app today through email as well. They just sent me a reply confirming that they received my secondary and waiting for it to be processed. They're fast!

I kind of wish I emailed mine now as well and saved the $ for the fed-ex shipping fee. Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I kind of wish I emailed mine now as well and saved the $ for the fed-ex shipping fee. Oh well.

It's all good, dude. They probably won't start sending out interview invites for a couple of weeks, so we're all in the same boat at this point.

Btw, don't you guys love the little admissions chat box they have on the secondary page? I keep on bugging them with questions...the anonymity helps lol.

It's all good, dude. They probably won't start sending out interview invites for a couple of weeks, so we're all in the same boat at this point.

Btw, don't you guys love the little admissions chat box they have on the secondary page? I keep on bugging them with questions...the anonymity helps lol.

Yea, def. So long as AMCAS gets my letters from VirtualEvals sometime very soon.

so i saw the secondary login status check page but how do you log in? do we just create our own or do we wait for GWU to send us one?

so i saw the secondary login status check page but how do you log in? do we just create our own or do we wait for GWU to send us one?

I think you have to wait for GWU to send you a username and password so you can access the page.

Is everyone getting email notifications of their secondaries being received, or their applications becoming complete? I got neither of these, and had to email admissions to get a status update. Makes me paranoid about the reliability of my email.

Exactly why I went with the the scan/email option as well, $125 was enough for me hah

Is everyone getting email notifications of their secondaries being received, or their applications becoming complete? I got neither of these, and had to email admissions to get a status update. Makes me paranoid about the reliability of my email.

This is the reply I got:

Chemdude,

Thank you for your secondary application, you will receive email
confirmation once it has been processed.

Best,
Kiley Gove
Assistant Director

I don't think they're supposed to send a reply to everyone who sent their secondary through email. I think it depends on the administrative assistant that receives your email...some of them probably send back a reply while others don't...

This is the reply I got:

Chemdude,

Best,
Kiley Gove
Assistant Director

I don't think they're supposed to send a reply to everyone who sent their secondary through email. I think it depends on the administrative assistant that receives your email...some of them probably send back a reply while others don't...

I had the same assistant director reply to my email as well to help your theory

Ugh! No! Just checked my GWU status:

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date.

Hold? Already? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I faxed mine in yesterday, haven't heard anything though

This is the reply I got:

Chemdude,

Best,
Kiley Gove
Assistant Director

No, I meant that my secondary was received (via USPS) and my application is complete, but I wasn't notified of either of these things. Had to email admissions to find out. However, my status on the GWU status page is "secondary not received", so there may be a lag in the system.

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date.

Does this mean that your application has already been screened?

Does this mean that your application has already been screened?

Based off last year's thread, I guess they looked at it and decided I wasn't GW material, but they're going to wait a while before flat out rejecting me so that it doesn't seem like they just wanted the secondary application fee. :laugh:

:luck: everyone.

Based off last year's thread, I guess they looked at it and decided I wasn't GW material, but they're going to wait a while before flat out rejecting me so that it doesn't seem like they just wanted the secondary application fee. :laugh:

Quite a few people got off that re-review list last year so keep hanging on :)

Do you mind if I ask you what your numbers looked like?

Do you mind if I ask you what your numbers looked like?

Not at all, I already posted them in the MDApps...:laugh:
Mind you, I know that these are long shot numbers for GW, but a girl can dream can't she?

cGPA: 3.3, sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 30S

I was hoping GW needed minorities.

Not at all, I already posted them in the MDApps...:laugh:
Mind you, I know that these are long shot numbers for GW, but a girl can dream can't she?

cGPA: 3.3, sGPA: 3.2
MCAT: 30S

I was hoping GW needed minorities.

My numbers are similar to yours

cGPA: 3.3, sGPA 3.2
MCAT: 32Q

I'm just praying that one of the places that I apply to reads my personal statement. I'm really proud of it and i think it exemplifies a really strong passion for medicine. We'll see though. I've already started taking some classes for a GPA boost if I need to reapply :p

My numbers are similar to yours

cGPA: 3.3, sGPA 3.2
MCAT: 32Q

I'm just praying that one of the places that I apply to reads my personal statement. I'm really proud of it and i think it exemplifies a really strong passion for medicine. We'll see though. I've already started taking some classes for a GPA boost if I need to reapply :p

We have the same life. Starting a post-bac in August and I'm also hoping SOMEONE reads my personal statement because I think it turned out really well. :luck: and keep us posted!

I got 33 but O on the writing section..
Really have no idea how I got such a low score!
Anyone think this will affect the decision much?

Oh well, I submitted my secondary via email just now.
But my primary has not been verified yet.

Did anyone else have problems getting the secondary payment website to load? Mine keeps timing out.

For the people who got the 'hold' status, don't start worrying about it just yet. I don't think GW even starts interviewing applicants until late august/early september. My application was placed on hold last year and 4 months later i received an interview invite so a hold status is definitely not the end of the world. My BIGGEST advice is to keep expressing interest in the school by calling/sending updates. GW loves that!
If you have any more questions, feel free to message me

Good luck everyone:luck:

At the risk of sounding like a total noob... where does one go to check their GWU status? I also got the notice that my secondary was received but didn't get an "application complete" email yet. My letters of recommendation are already in AMCAS but I guess haven't been matched up with my other application materials?

EDIT: Just received "application complete" email with link to status page. Noob status confirmed

Last edited:

I think that the writing scores can be overlooked if your essays are well-written. I still do not understand why there is any emphasis, whatsoever, on MCAT writing scores.

Good luck, my submission was verified today.

My buddy was told by the adcom of UCLA that the score on his writing section meant nothing to them. I'm sure most schools see it that way too. Plus a 33 is a great score.

i got the email but no password or login info to check my status and someone told me it was found in the email?

From the original email linking you to the page to access the secondary, the bottom bullet of "helpful hints" reads - "you can check your application status any time here" with the word here being a link - you can create a GW profile through that and then they email the username and password.

I think that the writing scores can be overlooked if your essays are well-written. I still do not understand why there is any emphasis, whatsoever, on MCAT writing scores.

Good luck, my submission was verified today.

My buddy was told by the adcom of UCLA that the score on his writing section meant nothing to them. I'm sure most schools see it that way too. Plus a 33 is a great score.

Thanks guys. Got my verification email today!

Submitted my application last night via email and received a confirmation email this morning.

I have still to get my letters of Rec in. Do you guys think another 2 weeks would be bad for my applications?:confused:

same boat as you. i guess that was fast? though after reading the posts on this thread maybe it doesn't mean it's over yet? after reading that status it just made it seem like they already sent out interview offers?

Submitted my application last night via email and received a confirmation email this morning.

I have still to get my letters of Rec in. Do you guys think another 2 weeks would be bad for my applications?:confused:

No, it's still the beginning of the application process. If you're complete in early July, you'll still be ahead of the game.

same boat as you. i guess that was fast? though after reading the posts on this thread maybe it doesn't mean it's over yet? after reading that status it just made it seem like they already sent out interview offers?

I'm sorry about that. Getting placed on hold is a bit of hard hit, but it's still better than waiting a couple months to find that you've been rejected. You can now move on and concentrate your time and effort on other schools. Besides, you're still in the game if you've been placed on hold. Good luck :luck:!

Submitted via e-mail last night, file is complete today!

hey! I didnt know you could submit via email..did you scan the printed copies? because it tells me that it will not save my responses to the essay!
Thanks

hey! I didnt know you could submit via email..did you scan the printed copies? because it tells me that it will not save my responses to the essay!
Thanks

Yup fill everything out, print it, sign it, scan it, e-mail!

I'm sorry about that. Getting placed on hold is a bit of hard hit, but it's still better than waiting a couple months to find that you've been rejected. You can now move on and concentrate your time and effort on other schools. Besides, you're still in the game if you've been placed on hold. Good luck :luck:!

thanks man. hanging in there! out of curiosity what are the other statuses saying?

hey All,
I just submitted my secondary application. How long does it take for GW to recognize that they have received it? I am assuming about 2 days after I send the email? Also, how do you get your username and password? Will that be sent in when they acknowledge the receipt of the secondary? thanks

Just found out I was put on the hold list as well after submitting my secondary a few days ago :(

Just found out I was put on the hold list as well after submitting my secondary a few days ago :(

Did you receive an email notification or was this posted on the status website? I wouldn't worry about it, considering we're so early in the cycle.

Did you receive an email notification or was this posted on the status website? I wouldn't worry about it, considering we're so early in the cycle.

It was just posted on the status website. It is early so I'm trying to relax a little, but still a confidence blow when one of your top schools puts you on hold to start the cycle

It was just posted on the status website. It is early so I'm trying to relax a little, but still a confidence blow when one of your top schools puts you on hold to start the cycle

Stats?

Is it even a bad thing to be on "hold"?? Has anyone else gotten a different status, other than the "under review" one?

Looks like I'm complete here. I hope I get a status change soon (and that it says hey why don't you come for an interview)!

Sorry to those that got placed on hold :(. At least you're still in the running!

Status
Not open for further replies.