2011-2012 Hofstra Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Relax guys...I smell a troll... :)

Members don't see this ad.

I have psych skeelz.
70384439_ba1fd5b9de.jpg
You clearly need to go into psych. You are so gifted you can tell everything from a single three sentence post. Your skills are amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted recently....however, I am going to be withdrawing.

I have been a longtime lurker on SDN, but I felt I should share my thoughts with others who are considering Hofstra.

I attended 2nd Look this past weekend and only 30 or so people showed up. The whole time I felt like Hofstra and its students were trying to sell me on the school. I don't know about anybody else but I absolutely hate that feeling. I feel like the merits of the curriculum should speak for themselves. I am a future medical student who can develop my own opinions. Thus, I don't need to be sold. Moreover, although the curriculum sounds nice in theory, there are no results to prove it is effective. In a couple of years when statistics are released, it will be easier to evaluate Hofstra. I just don't think I could take such a big risk with my medical education, unless I have no other options.

You could also tell that the administration was worried about admissions for this year because last year they gave out nifty scholarships to incentivize students to matriculate to the school. This year, it is based solely on the reputation of the school. I also talked to a couple of students who candidly shared that they were worried about matching into competitive residencies. The reality is that the administrators and faculty have never helped to match students before. Hence, they lack the experience and networking that such an endeavor entails. Yes, Hofstra can probably pull strings for NSLIJ residencies (or so they say), but as a New Yorker who is familiar with the mediocrity of the health system, I really do not want to depend on this.

I spent a day visiting the North Shore-LIJ affiliated hospitals to get a third-party perspective from those involved with the system but not immediately related to the medical school. Although the health system is large, the quality of the hospitals seemed supremely subpar (with the exception of University Hospital). I spoke with physicians, residents, rotating medical students, nurses....about anybody that could offer an opinion about how the hospitals and medical school compare to others. The reaction I got was really negative.

I apologize about my rant, especially to those that are seriously considering Hofstra. I am not trying to knock the school. I just wanted to share my view and advise others to truly research their prospective schools, especially if they are new. Don’t always believe what you hear. Form your own opinions. Again, this is only my experience. Others may fall in love with the school, and be able to take the required leap of faith.

I personally told every student I met with to have a critical eye when looking at our medical school and not just to take my word for it how great our school is.

But you kind of have to expect that people will talk up their school when you ATTEND A REVISIT WEEKEND GEARED AT RECRUITMENT. It amazes me that a future doctor accepted, I would imagine, by many highly selective schools (including ours) would expect anything different.

EDIT: You also may want to temper your opinions of the Health System. As a 23-year resident of Long Island who has been treated as a patient at NSLIJ hospitals, I would rather strongly disagree that our health system is "mediocre". I hope I'm right, too, because a few of the top-ranked NYC medical schools use NSLIJ hospitals as clinical facilities.

Last edited:
You clearly need to go into psych. You are so gifted you can tell everything from a single three sentence post. Your skills are amazing.

congratulation on your acceptance. its important decision as not only next 4 years and possibly beyond that part of your life is dictated by where you go to a school.

I can certainly understand your frustration, and I am also dealing with a bit from Hofstra as well (late responses are killing me).

I still won't take that single incident, as i am sure the school is getting bombarded with emails from prospective students, and crunch time comes, and am willing to give them benefit of doubt.

It certainly won't be the make or break thing for me, but as i always say, to each his own. If you feel that response from Hofstra is inadequate compare to other institutions, and you feel that aspect of application cycle has impact in your decision, please do take that into consideration.

One thing you do have to understand, however, is that there are many people waiting to hear back their fate here, and in a way, your haughty attitude toward the system ticks them off. You can't blame them, as they can't blame you.

but this is a public forum, and we should all try to be courteous to others.

do make a proper decision, and good luck with your life.

Re-read the thread and apply your middle school guidance counselor skills to the person who took the personal shots at ME, when I was just pointing out my issues with Hofstra. Best of luck old chap....

congratulation on your acceptance. its important decision as not only next 4 years and possibly beyond that part of your life is dictated by where you go to a school.

I can certainly understand your frustration, and I am also dealing with a bit from Hofstra as well (late responses are killing me).

I still won't take that single incident, as i am sure the school is getting bombarded with emails from prospective students, and crunch time comes, and am willing to give them benefit of doubt.

It certainly won't be the make or break thing for me, but as i always say, to each his own. If you feel that response from Hofstra is inadequate compare to other institutions, and you feel that aspect of application cycle has impact in your decision, please do take that into consideration.

One thing you do have to understand, however, is that there are many people waiting to hear back their fate here, and in a way, your haughty attitude toward the system ticks them off. You can't blame them, as they can't blame you.

but this is a public forum, and we should all try to be courteous to others.

do make a proper decision, and good luck with your life.

This thread needs to change directions.... Any wait list movement?

Re-read the thread and apply your middle school guidance counselor skills to the person who took the personal shots at ME, when I was just pointing out my issues with Hofstra. Best of luck old chap....

I am sure you can apply your wonderful people and communication skill to empathize with your patients. good luck mate.

This thread needs to change directions.... Any wait list movement?

It will probably start moving a lot around May 15th so you can rest for now.

Pistachio is one of my favorite ice cream flavors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure you can apply your wonderful people and communication skill to empathize with your patients. good luck mate.

I'm counting on most of my patients not being a wad like yourself....

I'm not even joking when I say my two favorite flavors are vanilla and pistachio. You two are instantly my friends :laugh:

+1 for pistachio

Have you all tried Ben and Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio? Best pistachio ice cream I've ever had, but it's horrible for you :/

Wish it were May 15th...

I'm not even joking when I say my two favorite flavors are vanilla and pistachio. You two are instantly my friends :laugh:

Vanilla is also one of my top choices of flavor!

+1 for pistachio

Have you all tried Ben and Jerry's Pistachio Pistachio? Best pistachio ice cream I've ever had, but it's horrible for you :/

Wish it were May 15th...

I'm gonna go buy that this week. Haven't had ice cream for about half a year.

5/15 is such an exciting day, both for the waitlist movement and for a game I've been waiting to come out for about a decade...

I like vanilla as well as cookies and cream.

Change in topic: I like sunny weather (Like we have been having here in NY)! How are possible future Hofstronians (Or members of the Pride) getting ready for the winters? Not as bad as other places but can be bad....

5/15 is such an exciting day, both for the waitlist movement and for a game I've been waiting to come out for about a decade...

could that possibly be,..... THE diablo III? I better play and finish that game before school starts :D

Diablo 3! I want to play but I feel like I shouldn't want to play :/ I'm supposed to be too old for video games.

Diablo 3! I want to play but I feel like I shouldn't want to play :/ I'm supposed to be too old for video games.
Well as you can see, that's apparently not true ;)

You guys know me too well : )

Just went to Costco and got the gelato... Soooo full.....

I'm contemplating whether or not to get D3. My wife will hate me for it!

guess what's happening tomorrow at 12 pst?

OPEN BETA!!!!

Oh man. There's goes my weekend. 1201 PST to Monday at 10am or something.

Heart of the Swarm, aka SC2 Part 2. (Possible meme?: "I don't always play computer games, but when I do I prefer to play...anything from Blizzard")

I still play SC1. until they are finished coming out with all 3 sets of SC2 (aka balance between races are complete), i prefer playing the old school one.

otherwise, EU3 is my current choice of game :D

Question to current students: How do you guys feel about the PEARLS sessions? I've read elsewhere that PBL small group self-research case-based learning is fun, but inefficient when it comes to learning all the material for Step 1. What are your experiences? How much lecture is there? How do you plan to succeed on Step 1, and do you plan to enter a field where residency is competitive?

Thanks!

Question to current students: How do you guys feel about the PEARLS sessions? I've read elsewhere that PBL small group self-research case-based learning is fun, but inefficient when it comes to learning all the material for Step 1. What are your experiences? How much lecture is there? How do you plan to succeed on Step 1, and do you plan to enter a field where residency is competitive?

Thanks!

I think PEARLs can work really well if there is buy-in on the part of the student and self-motivation.
I took upper level graduate lecture-based courses in physiology, so I feel like I can compare the two. I get a lot out of PEARLs. I read the textbook I would end up reading if we just had a lecture class. I'm sure you'll see Robbins and a physiology book (Guyton, Boron, etc..) and a Biochemistry text in every school. There isn't a monopoly on basic science knowledge; everyone has or can have the same textbooks, Kaplan lectures and whichever medical lecture review video series you want.
Good discussions push my understanding. It's one thing to read about things and take notes, but it takes understanding to discuss and teach your peers a topic than to passively read and listen. Everyone is going to have the same access to test content and study materials when it comes time for that 8 week crush for Step 1, so it's not like there is a monopoly of knowledge in lecture-based curricula. All of our classes are mandatory and almost all require participation. I can't imagine you gaining more in a setting where all you are required to do is to listen if and when you go to optional class. I like being challenged in that setting and I feel like it's the kind of place you can demand a lot of yourself and enjoy trying to meet hard-to-reach goals.

Outside of gaining understanding, working with a group to discuss a case, disagree over points and figure out group dynamics is also an important thing to practice, since a lot of our training in the future will involve that kind of activity.

My experiences with the Step 1 practice tests we take have been very positive. They are only 50-60 questions at once every four weeks, but I know a lot of people, myself included, feel comfortable with the topics tested and my approach to the questions.
It's still kind of early, but I'm leaning towards IM or OB/Gyn right now. I have not seen a lot of fields yet, so I'm nowhere near committed, but for now, IM or OB. I know those aren't "competitive" residencies, per se, but they're what interest me. I don't feel right now like the Step is going to limit my residency prospects; I think I'll be able to do what I want to do, whatever that is. I'm sure location, reimbursement, and lifestyle will play a currently unknown part, too.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions or you can PM me.

I think PEARLs can work really well if there is buy-in on the part of the student and self-motivation.
I took upper level graduate lecture-based courses in physiology, so I feel like I can compare the two. I get a lot out of PEARLs. I read the textbook I would end up reading if we just had a lecture class. I'm sure you'll see Robbins and a physiology book (Guyton, Boron, etc..) and a Biochemistry text in every school. There isn't a monopoly on basic science knowledge; everyone has or can have the same textbooks, Kaplan lectures and whichever medical lecture review video series you want.
Good discussions push my understanding. It's one thing to read about things and take notes, but it takes understanding to discuss and teach your peers a topic than to passively read and listen. Everyone is going to have the same access to test content and study materials when it comes time for that 8 week crush for Step 1, so it's not like there is a monopoly of knowledge in lecture-based curricula. All of our classes are mandatory and almost all require participation. I can't imagine you gaining more in a setting where all you are required to do is to listen if and when you go to optional class. I like being challenged in that setting and I feel like it's the kind of place you can demand a lot of yourself and enjoy trying to meet hard-to-reach goals.

Outside of gaining understanding, working with a group to discuss a case, disagree over points and figure out group dynamics is also an important thing to practice, since a lot of our training in the future will involve that kind of activity.

My experiences with the Step 1 practice tests we take have been very positive. They are only 50-60 questions at once every four weeks, but I know a lot of people, myself included, feel comfortable with the topics tested and my approach to the questions.
It's still kind of early, but I'm leaning towards IM or OB/Gyn right now. I have not seen a lot of fields yet, so I'm nowhere near committed, but for now, IM or OB. I know those aren't "competitive" residencies, per se, but they're what interest me. I don't feel right now like the Step is going to limit my residency prospects; I think I'll be able to do what I want to do, whatever that is. I'm sure location, reimbursement, and lifestyle will play a currently unknown part, too.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions or you can PM me.

Question to you and other current students. What textbooks do you guys use? (i know its not lecture based, but does school recommend one specific textbook over another?)

This is a side note, but I am a mile junky (I collect tons and tons and tons of frequent flier miles - due to my heavy travelling, that yes i know will end once med school starts), and i have an opportunity until mid May to get 7 frequent flier points for every textbook i buy. So i want to buy them asap!

let me know! thanks!

This is a side note, but I am a mile junky (I collect tons and tons and tons of frequent flier miles - due to my heavy travelling, that yes i know will end once med school starts), and i have an opportunity until mid May to get 7 frequent flier points for every textbook i buy. So i want to buy them asap!

Yay miles junkies :) I seem to have overlooked such an offer...which miles program and who do you have to buy from?

Yay miles junkies :) I seem to have overlooked such an offer...which miles program and who do you have to buy from?

the usual trick. I have Chase ink bold business mastercard. Via ultimate reward network, i buy items from staples (2 from UR+5 from ink bold for 7). Go to staples (physical store), return it and instead buy Amazon gift card. buy books from amazon.

viola~ points from UR network changes oh so often, and i seen continued decrease of Staples, after introduction of Chase Ink bold, so i don't want it to disappear completely.

glad to see another mile junkie here :D

the usual trick. I have Chase ink bold business mastercard. Via ultimate reward network, i buy items from staples (2 from UR+5 from ink bold for 7). Go to staples (physical store), return it and instead buy Amazon gift card. buy books from amazon.

viola~ points from UR network changes oh so often, and i seen continued decrease of Staples, after introduction of Chase Ink bold, so i don't want it to disappear completely.

glad to see another mile junkie here :D

aha! I don't have that card so I wouldn't be able to get that offer. But neat trick. I'd only heard of the "buy gift cards at the grocery store" if you get a grocery discount (Amex Blue?).

aha! I don't have that card so I wouldn't be able to get that offer. But neat trick. I'd only heard of the "buy gift cards at the grocery store" if you get a grocery discount (Amex Blue?).

Issue with your strategy is Amex is really stringent about those types of shady purchases. sadly, those gift cards at grocery store shows up as gift card purchases, rather than grocery purchases, but at least as of now, gift card purchased at staples show up as staples (office & stationary purchase). But who knows? they might change it, if ppl start abusing it.

Issue with your strategy is Amex is really stringent about those types of shady purchases. sadly, those gift cards at grocery store shows up as gift card purchases, rather than grocery purchases, but at least as of now, gift card purchased at staples show up as staples (office & stationary purchase). But who knows? they might change it, if ppl start abusing it.
Didn't know grocery stores itemized...even when you buy with groceries?

Withdrew my spot on the waitlist. Good luck guys!

Is there a syllabus for the courses that you guys take that tells you what reading you should do? Or are you just given the topic/patient you need to discuss at the group session and left on your own?

I'm waitlisted here and while I loved the school and the curriculum during the interview, I am now worried that there might not be enough guidance. I would really appreciate it if some current students could give me more information on the curriculum.

Thanks!

Didn't know grocery stores itemized...even when you buy with groceries?

according to blog posts, they do. esp with amex, if they hit you with financial review, you are basically screwed.

Has anyone gotten their financial aid info yet? Or know when they will send that out? It seems like they are really waiting until the last minute.

I will, thank you

just fyi, they told me that $5000 credit you get for each year (for being 2nd matriculating class) is separate from your financial package. $5k will be credited separately from your loans and other grants.

Do you need to do anything else to withdraw besides submitting the withdraw request online?

Just got accepted to hofstra! Will be declining though

Any waitlist movement? Anyone holding an acceptance that they plan on turning down?? The waiting game continues...
Congrats to all those accepted!

Any waitlist movement? Anyone holding an acceptance that they plan on turning down?? The waiting game continues...
Congrats to all those accepted!

I was accepted off the wait-list 5/16 and declined that same day (F OOS). Good luck!

Current students, a few questions.

1. What is student life like; do you guys have trips, do things together? Are there a lot of clubs, ect.? Is there a student government - if so, do you have elections?

2. How long do you have to study for the Step 1?

3. What did you do for orientation?

- Mike

I just got in off the wait-list. Got my e-mail yesterday. I was in love with the school and I am very happy to be enrolling!

Status
Not open for further replies.