2022-2023 Hofstra

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if I should mention other schools in my LOI as leverage? Got into Emory but really wanted Hofstra since I live like half an hour away lol. FML. Thought my strong in-state ties would really help make a case for my substandard MCAT.
 
Anyone know if I should mention other schools in my LOI as leverage? Got into Emory but really wanted Hofstra since I live like half an hour away lol. FML. Thought my strong in-state ties would really help make a case for my substandard MCAT.
You don't have to mention the name Emory specifically, but can say something like "Although I have been accepted at another medical school, Zucker remains my top choice for X,Y, Z reasons, and I will attend if accepted." Also, I believe the WL survey will ask details on your other acceptance so if they ask which school specifically, you can mention Emory there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is everyones thoughts on their match list:

I notice they don’t have any students matching neurosurgery - is this student preference or something else?
Student preference, there's 4 students that will be trying to apply neurosurgery this upcoming year, but nobody applied this year. My friend was going to apply this year but had to take a year off due to a medical thing so he's part of the 4 now.

had similar thoughts on their match list - seen that nobody matched to home programs in anesthesia for past two years... any reasons why that might be?

I think part of the reason is also that unlike every other department, anesthesiology at Northwell is staffed by NAPA, a private practice physician group, and the anesthesiologists are not technically Northwell employees. As a result, my impression is that the home anesthesiology program has a somewhat less academic bent, although that definitely has not precluded excellent matches in the past.

I heard that once the current contract with NAPA expires, Northwell is planning to take over the NAPA anesthesiologists as their own employees, although some of them (especially those who are making bank due to being a partner in NAPA) definitely are not happy about that. Take it with a grain of salt though, as this is mostly stuff I've heard in the periphery of the operating room and at no point was I directly involved with the anesthesia program.
 
If people sent an LOI/letter of interest, did they fill out the "elaborate on your selections" portion of the WL survey?
 
For accepted students - I just got an email saying my financial aid package was sent to my Hofstra email account, but I never received anything there? Is anyone else having that problem?
 
For accepted students - I just got an email saying my financial aid package was sent to my Hofstra email account, but I never received anything there? Is anyone else having that problem?
Check the portal! I received a notification to my hofstra email but the actual award with the details was in my portal
 
Anyone else concerned about Hofstra's match list? 23 out of 91 participating only matched a prelim/transitional year...

That's a little over 25% of their class that will need to enter the match for a second time to secure a residency beyond the prelim.
This didn’t bother me. I think this is where us premeds can stress ourselves for little reason or without full context. These students could have gone after very competitive specialties, not known exactly what they want to do yet, taking a research/exploratory year. None of us really know, but looking at the other matches makes me confident as an incoming student that if there’s speciality you want, you can get it 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This didn’t bother me. I think this is where us premeds can stress ourselves for little reason or without full context. These students could have gone after very competitive specialties, not known exactly what they want to do yet, taking a research/exploratory year. None of us really know, but looking at the other matches makes me confident as an incoming student that if there’s speciality you want, you can get it 🙂
Agree here, I feel like a lot of these match lists are pretty misleading because they're not 100% transparent. I think you can interpret a match list as a school's "ceiling" is what an attending once told me - if you see those big names consistently, it means the school has the capacity and reputation to match to those institutions.
 
Does anyone know if Hofstra accepts additional recommendation letters? I emailed to ask, but they just dodged the question and said I could submit an LOI.
 
Anyone else concerned about Hofstra's match list? 23 out of 91 participating only matched a prelim/transitional year...

That's a little over 25% of their class that will need to enter the match for a second time to secure a residency beyond the prelim.
Some schools list medicine/surgery prelims for specialties like anesthesiology, DR/IR, derm, neurology, ophthalmology, and PM&R (where the residency starts in PGY2) in this section, so that may explain the high number
 
Some schools list medicine/surgery prelims for specialties like anesthesiology, DR/IR, derm, neurology, ophthalmology, and PM&R (where the residency starts in PGY2) in this section, so that may explain the high number
That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm accustomed to seeing match lists where the PG2 is paired with the prelim year
 
Some schools list medicine/surgery prelims for specialties like anesthesiology, DR/IR, derm, neurology, ophthalmology, and PM&R (where the residency starts in PGY2) in this section, so that may explain the high number
However if you look at the whole match list they do list people under those specialties.
 
hey guys! when you filled out the WL interest form, did you include schools where you recently had interviews and are waiting for a decision? or did you only mention acceptances?
 
Does anyone know how adcoms view "interested with no other offers at present"? Would it be beneficial to fill out the survey considering they will see there's no PTE selection anyways?
 
hey guys! when you filled out the WL interest form, did you include schools where you recently had interviews and are waiting for a decision? or did you only mention acceptances?
Only acceptances! I actually submitted it earlier to send it in before I got acceptances from other higher-ranked schools to not need to list them
 
That would be great. Hofstra looks like a great program, don't get me wrong. It would be super understandable if many of those people were gunning for ortho/derm/ent.
Agree here, I feel like a lot of these match lists are pretty misleading because they're not 100% transparent. I think you can interpret a match list as a school's "ceiling" is what an attending once told me - if you see those big names consistently, it means the school has the capacity and reputation to match to those institutions.

However if you look at the whole match list they do list people under those specialties.

Yeah this match list decouples all the prelim + advanced combo matches for specialties like radiology, anesthesia, and PMR. E.g. if someone matched anesthesiology at UChicago + a prelim year, their prelim year match would be reported at the bottom along with all the other prelims. Prelim matches matter very little, as the primary concern is location + ease of rotation schedule. A lot of people matching at big-name institutions often do their prelim year at a nearby smaller hospital because prelims at big-name institutions tend to get worked half to death.

With a 100% match rate (that includes prelim-only matches), the way you figure out the # of prelim-only matches on this infographic is by counting the number of actual categorical/advanced matches, and comparing it to the number of people who entered the match. I'm no mathematician but by my count it's something like 89 / 91.
 
Current Zucker student here:

The match list was very viewed pretty positively by the student body. It really shows that ZSOM is working its way up regarding reputation, as shown by our pretty strong list specifically in NYC. Many concerns about only one Ob/Gyn, home anesthesia programs, and neurosurg mainly relate to student preference.

BUT this is the last year that graded Step 1 will be recorded for matches, and ZSOM has historically had a much higher Step 1 score average than our ranking would suggest (on par with T20-T30), so that has definitely helped our students match better. But now that Step 1 will be viewed at p/f, school reputation will play a bigger factor and no one knows how that will shake out for schools that are in the midst of gaining momentum within the medical world like Zucker.
 
Current Zucker student here:

The match list was very viewed pretty positively by the student body. It really shows that ZSOM is working its way up regarding reputation, as shown by our pretty strong list specifically in NYC. Many concerns about only one Ob/Gyn, home anesthesia programs, and neurosurg mainly relate to student preference.

BUT this is the last year that graded Step 1 will be recorded for matches, and ZSOM has historically had a much higher Step 1 score average than our ranking would suggest (on par with T20-T30), so that has definitely helped our students match better. But now that Step 1 will be viewed at p/f, school reputation will play a bigger factor and no one knows how that will shake out for schools that are in the midst of gaining momentum within the medical world like Zucker.
Thank you for sharing!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad