2022-2023 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1st tier WL. Is there even a second tier or R pool lol?
Yeah my friend was 2nd tier'd a few months back. I have no idea what this means for movement. Probably going to write an LOI and hopefully get some good news in May.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if I should mention other schools in my LOI as leverage? Got into Emory but really wanted Hofstra since I live like half an hour away lol. FML. Thought my strong in-state ties would really help make a case for my substandard MCAT.

1st WL as well, do we know what WL movement looks like here at all?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
1st tier WL as well, sent LOI recently too.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
1st tier WL too :/ does anyone know when WL movement usually starts for them? because i know most schools require letting go of all waitlist spots by may 1

• Care
+1 1st tier WL. Interviewed 11/16, still under consideration email 1/20. From the email, it sounds like the 1st tier WL is ranked, can anyone confirm?

• Care
Also got the A this morning! Interviewed 1/23 and super excited!

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
For LOIs, we just upload them under the document upload tab in the application portal right?

Anyone know if I should mention other schools in my LOI as leverage? Got into Emory but really wanted Hofstra since I live like half an hour away lol. FML. Thought my strong in-state ties would really help make a case for my substandard MCAT.
You don't have to mention the name Emory specifically, but can say something like "Although I have been accepted at another medical school, Zucker remains my top choice for X,Y, Z reasons, and I will attend if accepted." Also, I believe the WL survey will ask details on your other acceptance so if they ask which school specifically, you can mention Emory there.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does financial aid include? Is that like scholarships and everything or loans or what exactly?

1st Tier Waitlisted, interviewed 2/13. Already sent in a LOI before they sent the notification, so hoping for the best. Sending good vibes to all of you, glad to know I'm not alone.

Reactions: 2 users
What is everyones thoughts on their match list:

I notice they don’t have any students matching neurosurgery - is this student preference or something else?

I notice they don’t have any students matching neurosurgery - is this student preference or something else?
had similar thoughts on their match list - seen that nobody matched to home programs in anesthesia for past two years... any reasons why that might be?

had similar thoughts on their match list - seen that nobody matched to home programs in anesthesia for past two years... any reasons why that might be?
Match lists are super dependent on individual student preferences. That’s usually the reason for these kids of differences

• Care

Student preference, there's 4 students that will be trying to apply neurosurgery this upcoming year, but nobody applied this year. My friend was going to apply this year but had to take a year off due to a medical thing so he's part of the 4 now.

I think part of the reason is also that unlike every other department, anesthesiology at Northwell is staffed by NAPA, a private practice physician group, and the anesthesiologists are not technically Northwell employees. As a result, my impression is that the home anesthesiology program has a somewhat less academic bent, although that definitely has not precluded excellent matches in the past.

I heard that once the current contract with NAPA expires, Northwell is planning to take over the NAPA anesthesiologists as their own employees, although some of them (especially those who are making bank due to being a partner in NAPA) definitely are not happy about that. Take it with a grain of salt though, as this is mostly stuff I've heard in the periphery of the operating room and at no point was I directly involved with the anesthesia program.

Reactions: 2 users
If people sent an LOI/letter of interest, did they fill out the "elaborate on your selections" portion of the WL survey?

For accepted students - I just got an email saying my financial aid package was sent to my Hofstra email account, but I never received anything there? Is anyone else having that problem?

For accepted students - I just got an email saying my financial aid package was sent to my Hofstra email account, but I never received anything there? Is anyone else having that problem?
Check the portal! I received a notification to my hofstra email but the actual award with the details was in my portal

If people sent an LOI/letter of interest, did they fill out the "elaborate on your selections" portion of the WL survey?
I just put the main points of the LOI in that section and let them know there were further details in the LOI

Anyone else concerned about Hofstra's match list? 23 out of 91 participating only matched a prelim/transitional year...

That's a little over 25% of their class that will need to enter the match for a second time to secure a residency beyond the prelim.
This didn’t bother me. I think this is where us premeds can stress ourselves for little reason or without full context. These students could have gone after very competitive specialties, not known exactly what they want to do yet, taking a research/exploratory year. None of us really know, but looking at the other matches makes me confident as an incoming student that if there’s speciality you want, you can get it :)

Reactions: 3 users
This didn’t bother me. I think this is where us premeds can stress ourselves for little reason or without full context. These students could have gone after very competitive specialties, not known exactly what they want to do yet, taking a research/exploratory year. None of us really know, but looking at the other matches makes me confident as an incoming student that if there’s speciality you want, you can get it :)
Agree here, I feel like a lot of these match lists are pretty misleading because they're not 100% transparent. I think you can interpret a match list as a school's "ceiling" is what an attending once told me - if you see those big names consistently, it means the school has the capacity and reputation to match to those institutions.

Maybe a current student can comment on that aspect of the match list

Does anyone know if Hofstra accepts additional recommendation letters? I emailed to ask, but they just dodged the question and said I could submit an LOI.

Maybe a current student can comment on that aspect of the match list
That would be great. Hofstra looks like a great program, don't get me wrong. It would be super understandable if many of those people were gunning for ortho/derm/ent.

Anyone else concerned about Hofstra's match list? 23 out of 91 participating only matched a prelim/transitional year...

That's a little over 25% of their class that will need to enter the match for a second time to secure a residency beyond the prelim.
Some schools list medicine/surgery prelims for specialties like anesthesiology, DR/IR, derm, neurology, ophthalmology, and PM&R (where the residency starts in PGY2) in this section, so that may explain the high number

Some schools list medicine/surgery prelims for specialties like anesthesiology, DR/IR, derm, neurology, ophthalmology, and PM&R (where the residency starts in PGY2) in this section, so that may explain the high number
That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm accustomed to seeing match lists where the PG2 is paired with the prelim year

However if you look at the whole match list they do list people under those specialties.

hey guys! when you filled out the WL interest form, did you include schools where you recently had interviews and are waiting for a decision? or did you only mention acceptances?

Does anyone know how adcoms view "interested with no other offers at present"? Would it be beneficial to fill out the survey considering they will see there's no PTE selection anyways?

hey guys! when you filled out the WL interest form, did you include schools where you recently had interviews and are waiting for a decision? or did you only mention acceptances?
Only acceptances! I actually submitted it earlier to send it in before I got acceptances from other higher-ranked schools to not need to list them

That would be great. Hofstra looks like a great program, don't get me wrong. It would be super understandable if many of those people were gunning for ortho/derm/ent.
Agree here, I feel like a lot of these match lists are pretty misleading because they're not 100% transparent. I think you can interpret a match list as a school's "ceiling" is what an attending once told me - if you see those big names consistently, it means the school has the capacity and reputation to match to those institutions.

However if you look at the whole match list they do list people under those specialties.

Yeah this match list decouples all the prelim + advanced combo matches for specialties like radiology, anesthesia, and PMR. E.g. if someone matched anesthesiology at UChicago + a prelim year, their prelim year match would be reported at the bottom along with all the other prelims. Prelim matches matter very little, as the primary concern is location + ease of rotation schedule. A lot of people matching at big-name institutions often do their prelim year at a nearby smaller hospital because prelims at big-name institutions tend to get worked half to death.

With a 100% match rate (that includes prelim-only matches), the way you figure out the # of prelim-only matches on this infographic is by counting the number of actual categorical/advanced matches, and comparing it to the number of people who entered the match. I'm no mathematician but by my count it's something like 89 / 91.

Reactions: 4 users
Current Zucker student here:

The match list was very viewed pretty positively by the student body. It really shows that ZSOM is working its way up regarding reputation, as shown by our pretty strong list specifically in NYC. Many concerns about only one Ob/Gyn, home anesthesia programs, and neurosurg mainly relate to student preference.

BUT this is the last year that graded Step 1 will be recorded for matches, and ZSOM has historically had a much higher Step 1 score average than our ranking would suggest (on par with T20-T30), so that has definitely helped our students match better. But now that Step 1 will be viewed at p/f, school reputation will play a bigger factor and no one knows how that will shake out for schools that are in the midst of gaining momentum within the medical world like Zucker.

Reactions: 3 users
Current Zucker student here:

The match list was very viewed pretty positively by the student body. It really shows that ZSOM is working its way up regarding reputation, as shown by our pretty strong list specifically in NYC. Many concerns about only one Ob/Gyn, home anesthesia programs, and neurosurg mainly relate to student preference.

BUT this is the last year that graded Step 1 will be recorded for matches, and ZSOM has historically had a much higher Step 1 score average than our ranking would suggest (on par with T20-T30), so that has definitely helped our students match better. But now that Step 1 will be viewed at p/f, school reputation will play a bigger factor and no one knows how that will shake out for schools that are in the midst of gaining momentum within the medical world like Zucker.
Thank you for sharing!

Can someone with an MSAR subscription take screenshots of Hofstra info and post them here? Please and thanks 🙏

mine was a scholarship and loans that added up to COA
Are you able to find the formal scholarship letter anywhere on the portal? I see the scholarship included in the award breakdown with the loans listed but I don't see a formal scholarship offer letter anywhere.

Did anyone else feel super put-off by the lack of transparency regarding waitlist movement from the waitlist info session? And also the fact that they planned a session for wait-listed students and didn't address the glaringly obvious question that we would all have and waited for students to bring it up?

Reactions: 4 users