2022-2023 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone been to the accepted students day? is the attire formal or casual?

The attire is clown shoes and clown nose. Imagine being an accepted student 🤡🤡🤡. Nerd. Get a real skill, like basketball or knitting.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users

Business casual (I think it was in one of the emails). Most people were wearing a dress shirt or sweater but most of the current students were in pullovers or hoodies so youll be fine in anything

do any current students know how common merit scholarships are? i had to report my parents earnings which are relatively high, but they are not contributing at all so merit scholarships are all i've got

do any current students know how common merit scholarships are? i had to report my parents earnings which are relatively high, but they are not contributing at all so merit scholarships are all i've got
Hofstra's instituational aid/scholarship is a combination of merit + need so I think you'll likely get some as most students do (Hofstra is very generous with aid/scholarship). Keep in mind that med students file as independent for FAFSA even if Hofstra requires you to report parental income to receive institutional aid. I completed my FAFSA super late in like May after I got in off the WL and received $20k/year, which they call "Hofstra University Scholarship" in your financial aid package.

has anyone filled out the wl survey? don't know how to feel about their asking about other offers

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone filled out the wl survey? don't know how to feel about their asking about other offers
I was gonna say, is this how they help figure out who they send WL acceptances to? they got their own choose ur med school tool work around ig lol. Also not feeling great about it tho

Like i'd prefer if they made their decision completely based off merit instead of whatever this is

i poked around last year's thread and someone theorized that they would look for/prefer two types of WLed applicants:
1) those with similar acceptances
2) very high stat applicants who fell through the cracks (no A)

but that they would discriminate against those with multiple top tier acceptances or those with decent stats and no acceptances

obviously just a theory but it makes sense from adcom perspective...

Reactions: 2 users
They also sent an admitted student survey, havent looked at it yet but the email mentions We strongly encourage you to complete this survey in order for us to best assist you in making your decision.

Very interesting approach they take, haven’t gotten anything like this from my other As lol

i poked around last year's thread and someone theorized that they would look for/prefer two types of WLed applicants:
1) those with similar acceptances
2) very high stat applicants who fell through the cracks (no A)

but that they would discriminate against those with multiple top tier acceptances or those with decent stats and no acceptances

obviously just a theory but it makes sense from adcom perspective...
do you think it affects you negatively if you don't fill it out, or write "prefer not to say" under the school list?

For other people who were accepted, are you filling out this survey? I have multiple other MD A’s but my MCAT is lower than Hofstras median. I’m afraid if I fill it out and say I have multiple other As they may pass on me for scholarships ect. because I’m not as competitive as other acceptees…but then I’m afraid if I don’t fill it out they also wont give me scholarships lol.

Plz help!

Idk I'm scared too for the opposite reason, that they would immediately reject me because they would assume with my high stats that I'd choose somewhere else.
Right like wtf this seems like a no win situation!!

For other people who were accepted, are you filling out this survey? I have multiple other MD A’s but my MCAT is lower than Hofstras median. I’m afraid if I fill it out and say I have multiple other As they may pass on me for scholarships ect. because I’m not as competitive as other acceptees…but then I’m afraid if I don’t fill it out they also wont give me scholarships lol.

Plz help!

I can PM with more details, but as accepted students I do think we have much more power in this situation than that imo. In short: they’re still building their brand and you know they want you. I read somewhere and also experienced their generous financial packages. I think it’s within your best interest to be honest and disclose more money is a large (if not largest) consideration for you at this point.

The situation they’ve created for WL folks is pretty messed up though in a way that has me looking at this school differently.

Reactions: 3 users

Plz help!
Their admissions office is pretty responsive by email! I'm sure you could find a neutral way to ask them directly if your answers could impact your financial aid. Might be worth a try!

This is so annoying, them trying to basically get an identifiable “plan to enroll”. We had to play the game until now and now it’s their turn. There’s a reason AMCAS CYMST doesn’t reveal our identities. If you put that you have no other As, that probably ruins your merit $$ chances. If you put that you have other As, that may decrease your admittance chances. So really a lose-lose situation for applicants imo
I don't think this is true because I filled out the survey last year after getting WL'd and indicated interest/that I had no other A's. I wasn't a super high stat applicant either, my gpa/mcat were right on the median. I can't really tell what their underlying intention is with the survey but in my position at least, it was my top choice of the other WL's I figured that it would not hurt me to be honest. Also I ended up getting merit scholarship after getting off the WL in May

Any others with January 'under review' email who haven't heard back yet? Interviewed back in early November :(

Received an A!

I interviewed 01/04 and received an under review email 01/20

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
1st-tier WL, interviewed in December with a LM of 81 and WARS of 90.

Just to confirm, there's not really any hope of getting a merit scholarship off the waitlist, is there?

1st-tier WL, interviewed in December with a LM of 81 and WARS of 90.

Just to confirm, there's not really any hope of getting a merit scholarship off the waitlist, is there?
I don't think this is true because I filled out the survey last year after getting WL'd and indicated interest/that I had no other A's. I wasn't a super high stat applicant either, my gpa/mcat were right on the median. I can't really tell what their underlying intention is with the survey but in my position at least, it was my top choice of the other WL's I figured that it would not hurt me to be honest. Also I ended up getting merit scholarship after getting off the WL in May

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 12/2 and heard nothing besides the "under review" email so far, below average stats on both metrics and I sent an LOI mid January. I can't imagine this is good and I really hope I get the A - is radio silence at this point more indicative of a WL?

Have there been any A’s lately? Interviewed mid Jan and haven’t heard anything.

Got 1st tier waitlist for zucker last week and its the only option I have left, any idea of how large waitlist is? How many people get off it in a class?

Got 1st tier waitlist for zucker last week and its the only option I have left, any idea of how large waitlist is? How many people get off it in a class?
Unfortunately, they don't have that information public :( if anyone is bold enough to call and ask, pls share because I can't risk it​

I have withdrawn my acceptance from the school. Good luck to everyone in the cycle!

xoxo

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Just got the A about 45 min ago. Interviewed 2/13. Incredibly stoked about it

• Love
Reactions: 5 users