You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2022-2023 Hofstra
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Me too (12/14 interview that is), MD-PhD!JUST GOT THE A!!! So surprising as my mcat is very average!!
interviewed 12/14, got the email about still being under consideration in January
+1 🙁+1. LM 75 ORM OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wantabedoctor
Full Member
Finally got the pre II R today 😞
Does anyone know when January interviewees get notified?
showkayaker
Full Member
They mentioned at my interview day in December that they take letters of intent pretty seriouslyany october interviewees not hear back yet? thoughts on sending continued interest/intent letters?
turboguacamole
New Member
thank you!! i was worried about being a bother with sending too much mail even if to update where i stand 😭They mentioned at my interview day in December that they take letters of intent pretty seriously
D
deleted1139705
The attire is clown shoes and clown nose. Imagine being an accepted student 🤡🤡🤡. Nerd. Get a real skill, like basketball or knitting.has anyone been to the accepted students day? is the attire formal or casual?
Last edited by a moderator:
has anyone been to the accepted students day? is the attire formal or casual?
Business casual (I think it was in one of the emails). Most people were wearing a dress shirt or sweater but most of the current students were in pullovers or hoodies so youll be fine in anything
peepeepoopoo
Full Member
Hofstra's instituational aid/scholarship is a combination of merit + need so I think you'll likely get some as most students do (Hofstra is very generous with aid/scholarship). Keep in mind that med students file as independent for FAFSA even if Hofstra requires you to report parental income to receive institutional aid. I completed my FAFSA super late in like May after I got in off the WL and received $20k/year, which they call "Hofstra University Scholarship" in your financial aid package.do any current students know how common merit scholarships are? i had to report my parents earnings which are relatively high, but they are not contributing at all so merit scholarships are all i've got
lol what is this post interview/wl secondary
I feel like it's a soft requirement to fill it out but idk how I feel telling them about other offerslol what is this post interview/wl secondary
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was gonna say, is this how they help figure out who they send WL acceptances to? they got their own choose ur med school tool work around ig lol. Also not feeling great about it thohas anyone filled out the wl survey? don't know how to feel about their asking about other offers
i poked around last year's thread and someone theorized that they would look for/prefer two types of WLed applicants:
1) those with similar acceptances
2) very high stat applicants who fell through the cracks (no A)
but that they would discriminate against those with multiple top tier acceptances or those with decent stats and no acceptances
obviously just a theory but it makes sense from adcom perspective...
1) those with similar acceptances
2) very high stat applicants who fell through the cracks (no A)
but that they would discriminate against those with multiple top tier acceptances or those with decent stats and no acceptances
obviously just a theory but it makes sense from adcom perspective...
showkayaker
Full Member
They also sent an admitted student survey, havent looked at it yet but the email mentions We strongly encourage you to complete this survey in order for us to best assist you in making your decision.has anyone filled out the wl survey? don't know how to feel about their asking about other offers
Very interesting approach they take, haven’t gotten anything like this from my other As lol
D
deleted1119806
Yeah lol… it’s weird and invasive like??Very interesting approach they take, haven’t gotten anything like this from my other As lol
do you think it affects you negatively if you don't fill it out, or write "prefer not to say" under the school list?i poked around last year's thread and someone theorized that they would look for/prefer two types of WLed applicants:
1) those with similar acceptances
2) very high stat applicants who fell through the cracks (no A)
but that they would discriminate against those with multiple top tier acceptances or those with decent stats and no acceptances
obviously just a theory but it makes sense from adcom perspective...
showkayaker
Full Member
For other people who were accepted, are you filling out this survey? I have multiple other MD A’s but my MCAT is lower than Hofstras median. I’m afraid if I fill it out and say I have multiple other As they may pass on me for scholarships ect. because I’m not as competitive as other acceptees…but then I’m afraid if I don’t fill it out they also wont give me scholarships lol.
Plz help!
Plz help!
showkayaker
Full Member
Right like wtf this seems like a no win situation!!Idk I'm scared too for the opposite reason, that they would immediately reject me because they would assume with my high stats that I'd choose somewhere else.
For other people who were accepted, are you filling out this survey? I have multiple other MD A’s but my MCAT is lower than Hofstras median. I’m afraid if I fill it out and say I have multiple other As they may pass on me for scholarships ect. because I’m not as competitive as other acceptees…but then I’m afraid if I don’t fill it out they also wont give me scholarships lol.
Plz help!
I can PM with more details, but as accepted students I do think we have much more power in this situation than that imo. In short: they’re still building their brand and you know they want you. I read somewhere and also experienced their generous financial packages. I think it’s within your best interest to be honest and disclose more money is a large (if not largest) consideration for you at this point.
The situation they’ve created for WL folks is pretty messed up though in a way that has me looking at this school differently.
girlinblue
Full Member
Their admissions office is pretty responsive by email! I'm sure you could find a neutral way to ask them directly if your answers could impact your financial aid. Might be worth a try!For other people who were accepted, are you filling out this survey? I have multiple other MD A’s but my MCAT is lower than Hofstras median. I’m afraid if I fill it out and say I have multiple other As they may pass on me for scholarships ect. because I’m not as competitive as other acceptees…but then I’m afraid if I don’t fill it out they also wont give me scholarships lol.
Plz help!
peepeepoopoo
Full Member
I don't think this is true because I filled out the survey last year after getting WL'd and indicated interest/that I had no other A's. I wasn't a super high stat applicant either, my gpa/mcat were right on the median. I can't really tell what their underlying intention is with the survey but in my position at least, it was my top choice of the other WL's I figured that it would not hurt me to be honest. Also I ended up getting merit scholarship after getting off the WL in MayThis is so annoying, them trying to basically get an identifiable “plan to enroll”. We had to play the game until now and now it’s their turn. There’s a reason AMCAS CYMST doesn’t reveal our identities. If you put that you have no other As, that probably ruins your merit $$ chances. If you put that you have other As, that may decrease your admittance chances. So really a lose-lose situation for applicants imo
driverfearless
Full Member
Has anyone who interviewed in January (MD or MD/PhD) heard back yet?
ChillyDoc1999
Full Member
Yeah no one who interviewed that time has reported anything yet. I also interviewed in early/mid January and haven’t heard anythingHas anyone who interviewed in January (MD or MD/PhD) heard back yet?
I interviewed mid-feb and they were clear that they'd get back to us in mid-late March for what it's worthHas anyone who interviewed in January (MD or MD/PhD) heard back yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
🖐 interviewed late December. :')Any others with January 'under review' email who haven't heard back yet? Interviewed back in early November 🙁
Received an A!
I interviewed 01/04 and received an under review email 01/20
I interviewed 01/04 and received an under review email 01/20
peepeepoopoo
Full Member
1st-tier WL, interviewed in December with a LM of 81 and WARS of 90.
Just to confirm, there's not really any hope of getting a merit scholarship off the waitlist, is there?
I don't think this is true because I filled out the survey last year after getting WL'd and indicated interest/that I had no other A's. I wasn't a super high stat applicant either, my gpa/mcat were right on the median. I can't really tell what their underlying intention is with the survey but in my position at least, it was my top choice of the other WL's I figured that it would not hurt me to be honest. Also I ended up getting merit scholarship after getting off the WL in May
Interviewed 12/2 and heard nothing besides the "under review" email so far, below average stats on both metrics and I sent an LOI mid January. I can't imagine this is good and I really hope I get the A - is radio silence at this point more indicative of a WL?
still haven't heard back interviewed in september LOL🖐 interviewed late December. :')
Have there been any A’s lately? Interviewed mid Jan and haven’t heard anything.
ChillyDoc1999
Full Member
One was reported above last thursday for an early Jan interviewHave there been any A’s lately? Interviewed mid Jan and haven’t heard anything.
driverfearless
Full Member
Interviewed 1/11 and haven't heard anything either.Have there been any A’s lately? Interviewed mid Jan and haven’t heard anything.
Interviewed 1/25 and haven’t heard anything eitherInterviewed 1/11 and haven't heard anything either.
hopingformed13
Full Member
same here, interviewed 1/19 and no word yet! i think i saw someone earlier say they're aiming for mid-late MarchOne was reported above last thursday for an early Jan interview
Michael Douglas
New Member
Got 1st tier waitlist for zucker last week and its the only option I have left, any idea of how large waitlist is? How many people get off it in a class?
Got 1st tier waitlist for zucker last week and its the only option I have left, any idea of how large waitlist is? How many people get off it in a class?
Unfortunately, they don't have that information public 🙁 if anyone is bold enough to call and ask, pls share because I can't risk it
sad_nontrad
Full Member
When did you interview by the way?Got 1st tier waitlist for zucker last week and its the only option I have left, any idea of how large waitlist is? How many people get off it in a class?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have withdrawn my acceptance from the school. Good luck to everyone in the cycle!
xoxo
xoxo
First tier waitlist 🙁
1st tier WL. Is there even a second tier or R pool lol?