2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, though - this happens every year. Don't stress about it too much.

Hey, if I didn't like bashing my head against brick walls I wouldn't be applying to medical school. :laugh:

But yeah, I know there's not much I can do--it's just a little frustrating when the submission-->completion time is up to four weeks, versus the one week it took last year. If it was any of the other schools I've applied to this year I'd shrug it off, but given the degree of my preference for OHSU...
Sigh.

Members don't see this ad.

Any current students care to comment on the interview last year? Everything I've heard about OHSU's (in state) admission policy is: once you're at the interview, your numbers are pretty much meaningless.

As I understand it we're moving to MMI this cycle, bleh.

Any current students care to comment on the interview last year? Everything I've heard about OHSU's (in state) admission policy is: once you're at the interview, your numbers are pretty much meaningless.

This is partially true. OHSU evaluates applicants by giving them a numerical score. You get points each component of your application: interview performance, MCAT/GPA, essays, in-state status, etc. However, some things are worth more points than others and the "intangibles" including essays and interviews have historically been the most important (approx. 70% of the total score).

So, if you really rock your interview (or really blow it), your in state status won't matter very much. If you are somewhere in between, it will be more important.

As I understand it we're moving to MMI this cycle, bleh.

This is completely true. We'll see how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get points each component of your application: interview performance, MCAT/GPA, essays, in-state status, etc. However, some things are worth more points than others and the "intangibles" including essays and interviews have historically been the most important (approx. 70% of the total score).

I think they might have even quoted 80% last year for the non-stats portion--I can't remember. They do, however, "correct" GPA, so if you went to Harvey Mudd/Caltech/etc. your 3.2 is worth a lot more than it would be from U of Phoenix.

Of course, like URHere said, the process could be entirely different with MMI.

I think they might have even quoted 80% last year for the non-stats portion--I can't remember. They do, however, "correct" GPA, so if you went to Harvey Mudd/Caltech/etc. your 3.2 is worth a lot more than it would be from U of Phoenix.

Of course, like URHere said, the process could be entirely different with MMI.

I thought U of Phoenix was considered a west coast ivy??

Has anyone been invited to interview yet? Has OHSU even started interviews? I know they are known to be extremely slow, but this year seems to be even slower than normal.

An email just went out to the current students regarding interviews. The first interviews will take place on October 7th. Other scheduled interview dates are listed below (for those who care)

October 7, 14, 21, 26, 28
November 4, 11, 18, 30
December 2, 9, 16, 29, 30
January 6, 11, 13, 20, 27
February 3, 10, 17, 22, 24
March 2, 9, 15, 16, 23, 30
April 6

Those are very interesting interview dates since last year they inter jeered Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of almost all weeks. Either they will interview less people or have larger groups per interview day. Thanks for the interview update!

Hopefully we all get one.

I'm sure with MMI you can get a much higher "throughput" on students, since there's seven-some-odd-or-whatever stations and you can have somebody in every one.

Can't believe no II's yet, 'specially considering they start interviewing on 10/7. MMI transition must be slowing things down.

Northwesterly: This is not an attack on you :) this is a general response to a rumor that has been bubbling for a while. Here we go:

...They do, however, "correct" GPA, so if you went to Harvey Mudd/Caltech/etc. your 3.2 is worth a lot more than it would be from U of Phoenix...

Do you have any proof?

I have often heard this rumored of many medical schools, but I have never seen the slightest shred of evidence that this is true at any school, including OHSU.

It might seem easy to "correct" GPA's, but keep in mind there are thousands of universities. Do you really think they have some kind of rank order for each school? Imagine trying to fairly and accurately answer any of the following questions:

• Does "Saint Catherine University" in Minnesota has a stronger biology program than "Saint Catherine College" in Kentucky?
  • Does "University of the Pacific" in California has worse grade inflation than "Pacific University" in Oregon?
  • Does a 3.1 means more from coming from "Bellevue College" in Washington than it does from "Bellevue University" in Nebraska?

That last question is difficult enough to answer even with data... but lots of schools do not publish data on their school- or department-wide GPAs, so it would come down to speculation and guesswork. And since these figures would change every year, it would have to be recalculated constantly.

When you consider how hard it is to compare even two schools I find it hard to believe that they could fairly and accurately compare even 1% of the 5,000+ universities in the U.S. Why bother, when the MCAT is supposed to be the "great equalizer" that puts everyone on an equal playing field?

I would also note that some of the "prestigious" universities also have widely known problems with grade inflation. Stanford University has publicly acknowledged these problems, and it's in the education journals that the same is true of every other big-name university. I personally wouldn't assume a 3.5 from Stanford meant anything different from a 3.5 from anywhere else.

Keep in mind that the people who work in admissions offices often have masters or doctorate degrees in higher education or education administration, and they are very well aware of grade inflation in private schools :) They are aware that the average GPA at Yale has gone from 2.56 in 1963 to 3.51 in 2008. Yale was already very selective, very competitive, and very good at teaching in 1963. The students didn't get smarter over the 50 years that followed--they just got better grades. Even the leadership at Yale acknowledged it.

It would be nearly impossible for OHSU to do this even just for Oregon schools. Can you imagine OHSU officially endorsing OSU as a stronger science school than U of O? And then what happens when a new faculty member joins the admissions committee and disagrees, saying he got a top-notch science education as a Duck? Do they revise it?

And then consider the political fallout if the list ever accidentally got made public. All the sudden they lose their donors who went to Reed, because they named Lewis & Clark a better school. I can't imagine them ever putting such incendiary rankings down on paper.

I also wonder whether it would even be legal to say "You were exactly equal to this other candidate on every other measure, so we rejected you because you got your 3.5 from Portland State and she got her 3.5 from Harvard." That would almost certainly be some form of discrimination. If that's not already illegal, a school would certainly be setting the stage for a lawsuit if they pre-judged an applicant based on the name of the school, especially since there are published academic analyses which show that private schools inflate their grades.

So until I see some proof, I totally regard this as an unsubstantiated rumor.

I would add that I know plenty of students at OHSU whose undergraduate degrees came from every "tier" there is.

The point I am getting at is this: Go to whatever undergrad school you like the best, work hard, and everything will be fine!

Northwesterly: This is not an attack on you :) this is a general response to a rumor that has been bubbling for a while. Here we go:

Do you have any proof?

No worries, I'm trying to remember where I heard this... I believe it was in my feedback session last June, however. (You'd think I'd remember more specifically, right? But nope.) If any of the Adcom-assisting students are reading this, they can probably confirm or deny. And I totally agree that it would be impossible to do this fairly--but that's not to say it isn't done.

(And FWIW, Yale wasn't that selective in 1963 if you had the right last name. If you were foreign, jewish, non-white, then yeah it was selective. In fact, it was so selective it didn't admit any women for another 8 years. :laugh: So I think the students there now are actually a lot smarter than the class of '63--as are the students of 50-100 other colleges around the country.)

edited to add: Hopefulldoc's point is spot on, though. There's nothing you can do about the school you're already at or have graduated from. My intention was merely to encourage, say, an MIT engineering grad with a 3.1 who was feeling discouraged from applying as a non "mission-group" applicant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like the ball is finally starting to roll...

Submitted 8/x and still no completion. In state. BUMMER. LETS GET THIS SHOW ON THE ROAD OHSU USE YOUR NEW SKYTRAM OR SOMETING.

Last edited:
My understanding of the "weighting" they do had more to do with the level/difficulty of topic of class than the school it is attached to but I could be off base with that.

Here's my input on the GPA correction thing: I think the only correcting they do is if an applicant went to a school where the plus/minus for each letter is weighted. It wouldn't be fair across the board if one applicant got an A- worth 3.8 grade points and another got an A- worth 4.0 grade points, or a B- worth 2.8 points vs 3.0 points, etc. I don't know if those are the exact values, but I do know that many schools have this plus/minus system, but not all, so the grade points need to be equaled out for every applicant.

If there is any grade adjusting I would bet that's all they fix, not "Ivy League Research University" vs. "small town, no name university"

Here's my input on the GPA correction thing: I think the only correcting they do is if an applicant went to a school where the plus/minus for each letter is weighted. It wouldn't be fair across the board if one applicant got an A- worth 3.8 grade points and another got an A- worth 4.0 grade points, or a B- worth 2.8 points vs 3.0 points, etc. I don't know if those are the exact values, but I do know that many schools have this plus/minus system, but not all, so the grade points need to be equaled out for every applicant.

If there is any grade adjusting I would bet that's all they fix, not "Ivy League Research University" vs. "small town, no name university"

Huh. Either this or AGLAIA's weighting concept would make a lot of sense. (Or at least more than ranking schools.) Not much anyone can do either way, but interesting.

Last edited:

I thought AMCAS corrected for this

I'm confused by this. Isn't an A- always a 3.7? Maybe I'm missing something.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf (see pg 3)

They don't. My school has the minus/plus system and my AMCAS gpa is the same as my transcript gpa.
One of my schools used an A/A- system and the other used an A/AB system. My AMCAS GPAs are the same as my transcript GPAs because I assumed the schools using A- systems had the same number conversion as AMCAS.

Could anybody explain to me what MMI is and what I have to expect? What exactly are the 7 stations? would they actually ask me questions related to health, or would the 7 stations just be ethical/behavioral questions that they want me to answer on?

Could anybody explain to me what MMI is and what I have to expect? What exactly are the 7 stations? would they actually ask me questions related to health, or would the 7 stations just be ethical/behavioral questions that they want me to answer on?

I interviewed last year at one school that did MMIs.

Based on my experiance I feel that knowledge of healthcare delivery and appropriate protocaols would be helpful for some of the questions but as a whole I don't feel that it is required.

There are a broad range of possible questions, but deffinitly be prepared for ethical questions.

Final impressions for MMIs: I don't really care for them, 5 minutes or whatever they give you hardly feels like enough time to really connect with someone. I guess I'm just disappointed that OHSU is adopting this format.

From the OHSU news release

"MMI testing works by placing applicants in seven to nine successive stations. At each station, an applicant may be presented with a standardized scenario or questions that requires the applicant to discuss a health-related issue with an interviewer or rater; interact with a standardized confederate in a scenario while a rater observes; interact with another applicant to complete a structured task; or answer a traditional interview question. The scenarios are constructed in ways that allow observers to assess an applicant’s behavior and whether or not the desired holistic attributes appear to be present. The applicant has a few minutes to absorb the information and think about a response. In some stations, the scenario will involve interacting with actors who are also confederates in the scenario.

Each station measures different attributes, such as responsibility, ethical and moral judgment, communication skills, management skills, problem solving, self awareness, teamwork and conflict resolution. For instance, to measure an aptitude for teamwork, a scenario may require one applicant to draw a diagram based upon a second applicant’s oral description. At another station to measure empathy and communication skills, an applicant may counsel a colleague who needs to board a plane for her job but has a fear of flying. At each station, a rater observes the response and completes a formatted scorecard for each applicant. These are then tallied over all the stations. The interview day will also include a traditional one-on-one interview but in a shorter, more focused format."

Hope that helps.

submitted my secondary... let the waiting begin!

What is the shortest amount of time anyone took to get processed by ohsu once they submitted their secondary? Two weeks? Three?

I'm going on almost a month now! :laugh:

A month waiting to be complete or a month after being complete waiting to hear about an interview? I have been waiting a week today to be complete. For me it was very strange though because I got the secondary invite the day after my AMCAS application was processed.

A month waiting to be complete or a month after being complete waiting to hear about an interview? I have been waiting a week today to be complete. For me it was very strange though because I got the secondary invite the day after my AMCAS application was processed.

It has been almost 1 month since I submitted. Haven't heard anything. OHSU takes forever...that's just the way it is.

What is the shortest amount of time anyone took to get processed by ohsu once they submitted their secondary? Two weeks? Three?

It took about one week for me to be marked complete after I submitted my secondary application (I was complete on 9/22). The quick turnaround may be because I applied to the MD/PhD program, though.

It took them several months to extend a secondary (the last receipt of all my schools) and it is now almost a month since I completed the secondary.

I imagine that, if OHSU gets back to me, they will get back to me sometime in January. Heh. All things considered, this is my top school. I hope so much for an opportunity to interview here.

I was wondering, since they are more selective with regards to accepting OOS applicants, does receiving a secondary from this school relate to a pretty high chance of receiving an interview?

I was wondering, since they are more selective with regards to accepting OOS applicants, does receiving a secondary from this school relate to a pretty high chance of receiving an interview?

Sorry to disappoint you, but OHSU doesn't screen for secondaries and sends one to all applicants. They even say it on the portal warning people that if they don't fit the minimum requirements to apply with caution.

Sorry to disappoint you, but OHSU doesn't screen for secondaries and sends one to all applicants. They even say it on the portal warning people that if they don't fit the minimum requirements to apply with caution.

Okay, I was just wondering since I got my secondary almost two months after submitting my primaries. Maybe they were just slow

Did people receive an e-mail saying they were complete for OHSU or is the status change only visible on the portal with no warning?

Okay, I was just wondering since I got my secondary almost two months after submitting my primaries. Maybe they were just slow

Brownhamster, OHSU is like that. I love the school but they'll take forever to do something that should take literally no time at all. In your case take two weeks to offer a secondary when they've done no screening. You should make sure you anticipate these delays and spend your time preparing for the next step. That way even though OHSU will take their time you can be on top of it.

For those who aren't complete, have you at least been processed? I know ohsu first marks applicants as processed then as complete.

All my status says is this:

Application Status:

NOTE: You may need to scroll down to see all of the status information.
Preliminary application information received from AMCAS: Yes
A secondary application notice was emailed to you on x
Your secondary application was submitted on x

Last edited:
I've never seen a processed status FWIW. I did finally become complete, though. It took a month from submission to completion.

When I applied last year they said I was processed then complete. However the processed status didn't have a date next to it. Last year it took me a month to get marked as complete so that seems pretty standard.

Does everybody's status page look like mine, then?

Currently that is what mine says as well. Last year it looked like this.

A secondary application notice was emailed to you on 10/06/2010.

Your secondary application was submitted on 10/31/2010.

Your secondary application has been processed.

Your file was complete on 12/03/2010.

You have been invited for an interview. An email was sent to you with an interview deadline of 02/17/2011.

Your interview has been scheduled for 01/06/2011.

Currently that is what mine says as well. Last year it looked like this.

A secondary application notice was emailed to you on 10/06/2010.

Your secondary application was submitted on 10/31/2010.

Your file was complete on 12/03/2010.

You have been invited for an interview. An email was sent to you with an interview deadline of 02/17/2011.

Your interview has been scheduled for 01/06/2011.

That's basically what mine says now, too:

Application Status:

A secondary application notice was emailed to you on 08/10/2011.

Your secondary application was submitted on 09/14/2011.

Your file was complete on 09/22/2011.

You have been invited for an interview. An email was sent to you with an interview deadline of 10/07/2011.

That's basically what mine says now, too:

Application Status:

A secondary application notice was emailed to you on 08/10/2011.

Your secondary application was submitted on 09/14/2011.

Your file was complete on 09/22/2011.

You have been invited for an interview. An email was sent to you with an interview deadline of 10/07/2011.

Are you an md/phd applicant or an md only applicant, because you were processed and invited to an interview very quickly. Are I you in state or out?

Are you an md/phd applicant or an md only applicant, because you were processed and invited to an interview very quickly. Are I you in state or out?

I'm an MD/PhD applicant, OOS. But I was raised in Vancouver, WA, so it feels like I'm going back to my old stomping ground (I'm working as a research assistant in CA right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.