2011-2012 Oregon Health & Sciences University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OOS, but on my interview day I think 5 out of the 8 people were IS. So, I would definitely say that your IS status should help you get an interview.

They told us that the timeline for us would be 4-6 weeks, but later in the cycle it will be longer (about 6-8 weeks). They send out acceptances/rejections/holds throughout the cycle, but it's technically not rolling because they save spots for people later in the cycle. So if you interview late then you should have just as much of a chance to get in as those that interview earlier.

Did you interview on the 7th or on the 14th?

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know anything about submitting after the 5 week secondary deadline??????????????????????

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know anything about submitting after the 5 week secondary deadline??????????????????????

Try to avoid it... :D

But in all seriousness, I submitted at 3 am on the due date and I freaked out about missing the deadline because it takes a while to be complete. Fortunately, that didn't affect me. But I wouldn't push it any further. If you're really that concerned, though, just call and ask.

deadline passed, it's not letting me log into the system. it did briefly, then when my session timed out its not allowing anymore

...They told us that the timeline for us would be 4-6 weeks, but later in the cycle it will be longer (about 6-8 weeks)...

I think that is HIGHLY optimistic. I don't think anyone heard any decision within 4 weeks last year. I would say it starts at 6-8 weeks and then spreads out to 9-11 weeks later in the cycle (for any decision: accept, refuse, hold). For reference, I interviewed in early December last year and wasn't notified of an acceptance for 10 weeks, and that was only when I called Admissions for a status update. Sorry for the less optimistic assessment, but perhaps a more realistic assessment will reduce anxiety somewhat.

I think that is HIGHLY optimistic. I don't think anyone heard any decision within 4 weeks last year. I would say it starts at 6-8 weeks and then spreads out to 9-11 weeks later in the cycle (for any decision: accept, refuse, hold). For reference, I interviewed in early December last year and wasn't notified of an acceptance for 10 weeks, and that was only when I called Admissions for a status update. Sorry for the less optimistic assessment, but perhaps a more realistic assessment will reduce anxiety somewhat.

I was just repeating what the admissions office told us. Things are way different this year with MMI's, so I'm not sure if we can use last year as a gauge about how it's going to work this year. That being said, I'll take the timeline they gave us with a grain of salt. I'm definitely prepared to wait :rolleyes:

10/20/11- To applicants who have submitted the OHSU secondary application: There is currently a 7-9 week waiting period from the time you submit the secondary application until the Admissions staff processes it. We are receiving a very high volume of secondary applications and the queue for processing them is long. We appreciate your patience. Please continue to check the Admissions Portal for the most up to date information concerning your file. Thank you.

I'm glad they at least go in order and don't randomly process them (like Penn State does)

Could anyone please help me with interview day planning? How long does it take from OHSU to the airport? What time does the interview day end? What would be a safe time to book my return flight? Thanks!

Could anyone please help me with interview day planning? How long does it take from OHSU to the airport? What time does the interview day end? What would be a safe time to book my return flight? Thanks!

Its like a 20-30 minute drive from OHSU to the airport. If you don't have car access you could take the air tram down to the waterfront campus, take the street car into downtown by portland state, and then take MAX (the light-rail) to the airport. That would take probably over an hour.

Depending on when your interview is, I wouldn't mind serving as a taxi service. :) I'll be a lot cheaper than a cab too.

I'm not sure when the interview day ends.

They tell you that the interview day will end by 3:30pm at the latest, but mine ended at 2:00pm.

Its like a 20-30 minute drive from OHSU to the airport. If you don't have car access you could take the air tram down to the waterfront campus, take the street car into downtown by portland state, and then take MAX (the light-rail) to the airport. That would take probably over an hour.

Depending on when your interview is, I wouldn't mind serving as a taxi service. :) I'll be a lot cheaper than a cab too.

I would definitely say allow 30 minutes to get from OHSU to the airport if you are taking a taxi (traffic and all). If you try to take public transportation, I would say 1.5 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
On interview day does the admissions office let interviewers store their luggage somewhere?
thx!

II! :D
OOS, marked complete on 9/23
The dates they gave are very soon though...like November. Kinda shocked, the last interview I scheduled only had one choice in December, but the rest was in January :oops:
I'm nervous for the MMI, my first experience with it. Tips for preparing?

Those are sub-optimal public transit directions. From OHSU to the airport: Take the #8 bus down the hill. Transfer to the MAX Red line downtown which goes directly to the airport. Go to http://trimet.org/ for trip planning and trip length.

Those are sub-optimal public transit directions. From OHSU to the airport: Take the #8 bus down the hill. Transfer to the MAX Red line downtown which goes directly to the airport. Go to http://trimet.org/ for trip planning and trip length.

Considering I've never taken public transit to the airport, I'm not surprised it wasn't the best route, but it's still going to take a long while.

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

Considering I've never taken public transit to the airport, I'm not surprised it wasn't the best route, but it's still going to take a long while.

I would definitely say allow 30 minutes to get from OHSU to the airport if you are taking a taxi (traffic and all). If you try to take public transportation, I would say 1.5 hours.

They tell you that the interview day will end by 3:30pm at the latest, but mine ended at 2:00pm.

Finally made it to Portland. Getting excited/ nervs for mmi. Any tips?

Finally made it to Portland. Getting excited/ nervs for mmi. Any tips?

Lucky! my flight was majorly delayed, so I don't arrive til 11:33 pm tonight. Note to others: schedule flights earlier.

Lucky! my flight was majorly delayed, so I don't arrive til 11:33 pm tonight. Note to others: schedule flights earlier.

That sucks. Good luck tomorrow! r u staying with a student host?

That sucks. Good luck tomorrow! r u staying with a student host?

I'm staying at my sister's tonight (she lives in Portland). But I'm staying with a student host tomorrow night so I can learn a little bit more about student life.

Good luck to you, too!

I received a pre-interview hold until Feb. I'm IS and have stats above avg for matriculants with plenty of volunteering (clinical/non-clinical) and shadowing. I've already interviewed at an OOS school so I don't think there are any red flags on my app. I wish I knew what OHSU is looking for, because I don't seem to have it. :confused:

I received a pre-interview hold until Feb. I'm IS and have stats above avg for matriculants with plenty of volunteering (clinical/non-clinical) and shadowing. I've already interviewed at an OOS school so I don't think there are any red flags on my app. I wish I knew what OHSU is looking for, because I don't seem to have it. :confused:

what did your status update say?

mine changed to "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review. Due to the competitiveness and size of the applicant pool, some applicants are placed on hold until the entire pool has been assessed. As soon as a final decision has been made we will notify you immediately. This decision may not be rendered until mid-February." today.

mine changed to "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review. Due to the competitiveness and size of the applicant pool, some applicants are placed on hold until the entire pool has been assessed. As soon as a final decision has been made we will notify you immediately. This decision may not be rendered until mid-February." today.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?

Gah, that sucks. I don't know if it would do any good, but you could always try sending an update letter before February. They make it very clear that post-interview updates may not be read by anyone outside the mailroom, but that would seem to imply that pre-interview letters might get a better reception.
At any rate, good luck with your other schools and interviews. If this process made more sense it would be a lot less terrifying. :laugh:

And for anyone with upcoming interviews, my advice about the MMI process would be: don't worry. It really does seem at least slightly more rational and less prone to misfortune than the traditional 2-faculty format. It's still a crapshoot, but hopefully it's one with better odds.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you complete?

A secondary application notice was emailed to you on 08/10/2011.

Your secondary application was submitted on 08/30/2011.

Your secondary application has been processed.

Your file was complete on 09/30/2011.

This is exactly what my update said. I was also complete on 9/30.

I *almost* made their "Mission-Based Group" for OOS academic achievement:

"Non-resident applicants with superior achievements in academics and other related experiences. For the 2012 cycle, superior academics is defined as a cumulative Total GPA, as reported by AMCAS, of 3.65 or higher and a cumulative score of 32 or higher on the most-recent eligible MCAT."

My cum is 3.63. That sucks:

"To applicants who meet one or more Mission-Based groups: Your file is currently being screened in the interview selection process. Please note that due to the large number of files in our applicant pool, this screening may take up to 12 weeks. As soon as a decision is made on your application, you will be notified. The Admissions Committee interviews prospective candidates from October through mid-April."

vs.

"To all other applicants (Non Mission-Based): OHSU screens Mission-Based applicants first for interview eligibility. By January, the committee will evaluate Non Mission-Based applicants for interview eligibility."

So it will be January at the earliest before I even hear about an interview? Sheesh. I've been going off of the seemingly contradictory statement at the top of the same page in their app portal:

"There is currently a 7-9 week waiting period from the time you submit the secondary application until the Admissions staff processes it. We are receiving a very high volume of secondary applications and the queue for processing them is long. We appreciate your patience. Please continue to check the Admissions Portal for the most up to date information concerning your file. Thank you."

I was complete 8/23, which puts me at 9 weeks almost to the day. Now I don't know what to think. Anyone want to shed some light?

What about those who have been rejected or put on hold already--did you make their academic achievement Mission-Based group?

Thanks!

I *almost* made their "Mission-Based Group" for OOS academic achievement:
Now I don't know what to think. Anyone want to shed some light?

I wish I could be more encouraging, but based on what I've read and been told, I think that the interview chances for OOS applicants not meeting academic or diversity metrics are very, very slim. It sucks, because a 3.65 and 32+ would certainly seem to indicate you can cut it in med school. Good luck.

This is exactly what my update said. I was also complete on 9/30.

I think you might be reading that status update too harshly then. The "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review." is the part in bold so reading that alone makes it sound like "hey, we have you in line for an interview." The rest of the status is just letting you know that there are a lot of applicants so you might have to be patient and the longest it will take is circa 4 months (Feb). That is how I read it. I agree that it is kind of unclear though.

I think Drexel had a status update that said something not too far off, like your file has been viewed and is pending further decision, and I got an interview there later on, so yeah. :)

What do you guys think, how would you interpret this OHSU status update? Did any of the applicants that have received II's have this status before?

I read through last year's thread and I didn't see any people confirm that they received invites from a pre-interview hold status. It is hard to say. Given that they don't send an email with a status update, I suppose a number of people could have unknowingly had this status before receiving II's later in the season.

Just an FYI, application updates need to be snail mailed in. Not sure if they accept them pre-interview.

"There is currently a 7-9 week waiting period from the time you submit the secondary application until the Admissions staff processes it. We are receiving a very high volume of secondary applications and the queue for processing them is long. We appreciate your patience. Please continue to check the Admissions Portal for the most up to date information concerning your file. Thank you."

I was complete 8/23, which puts me at 9 weeks almost to the day. Now I don't know what to think. Anyone want to shed some light?

Dunno if it helps, but I suspect that might be the amount of time between submission and being marked as "complete," rather than the time between application completion and interview decisions. Seems to me like for people just submitting secondaries it will take up to nine weeks before the admissions committee even starts to consider their application. I guess at least you've already jumped that hurdle!

Just FYI for those still waiting to hear back:

During the interview orientation, they informed us that they would be conducting ~500 interviews this year. It looks unlikely that there will be interviews offered to non-mission-based applicants because they tend to receive ~1500 mission-based applications. With that said, nothing is for certain. It is still possible that they may dip into the non-mission-based applicant pool, though they didn't last year.

Just FYI for those still waiting to hear back:

During the interview orientation, they informed us that they would be conducting ~500 interviews this year. It looks unlikely that there will be interviews offered to non-mission-based applicants because they tend to receive ~1500 mission-based applications. With that said, nothing is for certain. It is still possible that they may dip into the non-mission-based applicant pool, though they didn't last year.

That's essentially what I found out over the phone a few days ago. I am screwed.

Yeah, I and would not put any faith in the 20-30 minute drive from OHSU to the airport that was mentioned somewhere here. That might be possible with no traffic, but I've had it take more than an hour to get from OHSU to PDX by car when traffic is bad. It could be worse at times.

Bottom line: If you prioritize getting in and out of Portland quickly you might screw up your interview. I think everyone should take as much time as they can here (and anywhere else that you interview). Ask students at the school where you should go visit if you have that much extra time.

On the other hand, don't count on the parking day-pass being available at the bottom of the hill. Those things can be sold out by 7AM.

If all else fails you can drive your car to the hill and park in one of the "2 hour max" free spots in the residential areas. You'll get a ticket ($40 I think) but it will be worth it if you get into medical school :)

It sucks, because a 3.65 and 32+ would certainly seem to indicate you can cut it in med school. Good luck.

It certainly does suck. Unfortunately, the math is against everyone. Assume that the top 10 medical schools interview 500 people each on average and admit 100 people each on average. That means that there are a total of 1,000 people who are worthy of a top 10 spot, but at any single school each worthy person would only have a 50% shot of an interview (because only 500 people get interviewed).

Start adding other factors like your state of residence, and schools really do have to make very tough decisions on whom to interview... it comes down to making apples-to-oranges comparisons among the applicants. You cannot take it too personally if you don't get picked by any particular school--maybe they wanted more apples the day they read your application.

---

Unrelated to any of that: If you have a choice to go to any school other than OHSU I'd seriously recommend that you consider the finances. I like OHSU a lot, but the more I think about tuition the more I question my choice to come here... it's not the school's fault, it's the state's fault, but either way you're the one who ends up paying it. If tuition stays flat (it won't) I'll be $250,000 in debt just from med school by the time I graduate. There are school that charge half as much for tuition. Think about it.

Yeah, I and would not put any faith in the 20-30 minute drive from OHSU to the airport that was mentioned somewhere here. That might be possible with no traffic, but I've had it take more than an hour to get from OHSU to PDX by car when traffic is bad. It could be worse at times.

Bottom line: If you prioritize getting in and out of Portland quickly you might screw up your interview. I think everyone should take as much time as they can here (and anywhere else that you interview). Ask students at the school where you should go visit if you have that much extra time.

If all else fails you can drive your car to the hill and park in one of the "2 hour max" free spots in the residential areas. You'll get a ticket ($40 I think) but it will be worth it if you get into medical school :)

It certainly does suck. Unfortunately, the math is against everyone. Assume that the top 10 medical schools interview 500 people each on average and admit 100 people each on average. That means that there are a total of 1,000 people who are worthy of a top 10 spot, but at any single school each worthy person would only have a 50% shot of an interview (because only 500 people get interviewed).

Start adding other factors like your state of residence, and schools really do have to make very tough decisions on whom to interview... it comes down to making apples-to-oranges comparisons among the applicants. You cannot take it too personally if you don't get picked by any particular school--maybe they wanted more apples the day they read your application.

---

Unrelated to any of that: If you have a choice to go to any school other than OHSU I'd seriously recommend that you consider the finances. I like OHSU a lot, but the more I think about tuition the more I question my choice to come here... it's not the school's fault, it's the state's fault, but either way you're the one who ends up paying it. If tuition stays flat (it won't) I'll be $250,000 in debt just from med school by the time I graduate. There are school that charge half as much for tuition. Think about it.

You can also park at one of the parking spots on the bottom of the hill near the tram/gondola thing... They usually have parking there, you just have to pay for the ride up (or down... but you only pay one way). If you do this, you need to budget in like an extra half hour but the view is great.

I agree that the state's benign neglect of OHSU (what's the budget contribution these days? 3 percent?) is frustrating, but are there really that many cheaper options for Oregon residents? OHSU's tuition is around $34K this year, right? Case Western, for example, is $49K. *Before* you buy the books, required laptop, pay for insurance, etc. Most public schools I've seen charge in the high thirties to low forties for OOS kids.
Now somewhere like Mayo, sure, that's tons cheaper. But how many Mayos are there?
I dunno, this is just a pre-med's perspective and I don't have a good sense of how much scholarship money individual schools have to spread around, but it seems to me that if you're not from a state like Texas/Florida/NY with relatively well funded public schools you might be stuck with a huge bill no matter what.

I agree that the state's benign neglect of OHSU (what's the budget contribution these days? 3 percent?) is frustrating, but are there really that many cheaper options for Oregon residents? OHSU's tuition is around $34K this year, right? Case Western, for example, is $49K. *Before* you buy the books, required laptop, pay for insurance, etc. Most public schools I've seen charge in the high thirties to low forties for OOS kids.
Now somewhere like Mayo, sure, that's tons cheaper. But how many Mayos are there?
I dunno, this is just a pre-med's perspective and I don't have a good sense of how much scholarship money individual schools have to spread around, but it seems to me that if you're not from a state like Texas/Florida/NY with relatively well funded public schools you might be stuck with a huge bill no matter what.

Don't forget that it's not just tuition but how much they give in financial aid... I don't believe OHSU gives that much.

Don't forget that it's not just tuition but how much they give in financial aid... I don't believe OHSU gives that much.

Absolutely. That's why the MSAR data on average indebtedness at graduation is so useful. Not very specific, but probably the best bird's eye view of overall cost.
Anyway, I agree that I'm pretty ignorant of the school by school details of financial aid--it's just hard to imagine it would bridge a gap like the one between OHSU and Case--let alone one between in-state Texas schools and Drexel. (Mayo is pretty famously generous/rich and their baseline grant last year was $15K--most schools contribute a fraction of that, on average.)

Question - did you guys get an email saying you were complete? Or did you just check one day online and you saw that you were?

nvm just checked and was FINALLY complete. Submitted on 9/08

Question - did you guys get an email saying you were complete? Or did you just check one day online and you saw that you were?
I didn't receive any notification, I had to check the portal.

are there really that many cheaper options for Oregon residents?

Here are the public schools that had lower tuition + fees for non-residents than OHSU's resident tuition + fees ($40,684) in the 2010-2011 school year:

South Alabama $40,200
North Carolina $39,570
Arkansas $39,356
East Carolina-Brody $38,317
Wisconsin $36,963
LSU New Orleans $32,112
LSU Shreveport $31,119
UT Southwestern $29,840
UT HSC San Antonio $28,913
Texas Tech $28,471
Texas Tech-Foster $28,470
Texas A & M $28,462
UT Galveston $27,975
UT Houston $26,709
Puerto Rico $21,234​

I'll be the first to point out that some of these schools might be even harder to get into as an OOS applicant than OHSU, but I'm just posting them for comparison purposes to prove the point: There are some schools where you'll pay less as a non-resident than you pay as a resident.

Of course, private schools are a largely mystery because although they post their tuition (often higher than OHSU) many of them have generous scholarship packages that may effectively lower the tuition below OHSU. So you have to consider them too. (FYI: Baylor's tuition for an Oregon resident in the same year was only $31,276... almost $10,000 less than OHSU!)

I think that depends on what you mean by "financial aid." If you're really talking about give-away money (scholarships), then you're right: OHSU doesn't give a lot of scholarships. Another reason to consider the finances of OHSU, because you might actually get enough scholarship money at another school to outweigh the higher tuition.

If you mean loans (Federal financial aid), well your loans at any school are going to be based on tuition, fees, and estimated costs of living. So for example, OHSU might hand out smaller loans than UCSF, but the rent is cheaper in Portland than San Francisco, on average, so it might be a wash.

Here are the public schools that had lower tuition + fees for non-residents than OHSU's resident tuition + fees ($40,684) in the 2010-2011 school year:

South Alabama $40,200
North Carolina $39,570
Arkansas $39,356
East Carolina-Brody $38,317
Wisconsin $36,963
LSU New Orleans $32,112
LSU Shreveport $31,119
UT Southwestern $29,840
UT HSC San Antonio $28,913
Texas Tech $28,471
Texas Tech-Foster $28,470
Texas A & M $28,462
UT Galveston $27,975
UT Houston $26,709
Puerto Rico $21,234​

I'll be the first to point out that some of these schools might be even harder to get into as an OOS applicant than OHSU, but I'm just posting them for comparison purposes to prove the point: There are some schools where you'll pay less as a non-resident than you pay as a resident.

Of course, private schools are a largely mystery because although they post their tuition (often higher than OHSU) many of them have generous scholarship packages that may effectively lower the tuition below OHSU. So you have to consider them too. (FYI: Baylor's tuition for an Oregon resident in the same year was only $31,276... almost $10,000 less than OHSU!)

I think that depends on what you mean by "financial aid." If you're really talking about give-away money (scholarships), then you're right: OHSU doesn't give a lot of scholarships. Another reason to consider the finances of OHSU, because you might actually get enough scholarship money at another school to outweigh the higher tuition.

If you mean loans (Federal financial aid), well your loans at any school are going to be based on tuition, fees, and estimated costs of living. So for example, OHSU might hand out smaller loans than UCSF, but the rent is cheaper in Portland than San Francisco, on average, so it might be a wash.

They all cover everything with loans. I was definitely meaning the scholarships because they are what actually lower your indebtedness at graduation.

holy crap 40k tuition in-state? I'm over at western lebanon and ours is 48k for private school lol. Projected to be in debt 290k (w/o interest) after 4 years, and ~550k with interest if I'm on a 20 year payment track. Oregon residents have pretty crappy options speaking from a financial point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.