2011-2012 Texas Tech (Lubbock) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so my email looks like this:

"Dear [name here],
We have some exciting news to share with you at:

"there is a link here to a video."

In a few days, you will receive another email with additional information."

Also, your status on merlin changes. You have got till 11/29 to accept or decline

I got the same email as you with a personalized video, but my status on Merlin still says I have been "invited to interview" :confused: I don't see a link to pay the $100 deposit. Strange...

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything since being accepted?

Edit: They either know who I am on here, or the timing was perfect. I got the second email five minutes after I wrote this. :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got that email. In the email it also says they are giving me a scholarship and it will be sent to me in another email within a few days.

Just received a scholarship offer in the amount of $15,500 per year.

My decision has just been made a lot more difficult.

Just received a scholarship offer in the amount of $15,500 per year.

My decision has just been made a lot more difficult.

Nice! On their website, they list the total cost of tuition + fees to be ~$14.4k.

Does this mean you're basically getting a $1k stipend per year, or did they give any rationale behind the $$$ amount?

Congrats Toxictrix!!

I finally got an II this morning and am hoping for some love from my Alma mater!! :)

Tuition is going up. I'm accepted into the Fmat program which gives a full tuition scholarship for one year and my scholarship letter was for about 15000 too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Toxictrix! I just got my acceptance this morning and was curious as to whether the scholarship notification came in the email that linked to your video, or in the followup email to that?

Congrats Toxictrix! I just got my acceptance this morning and was curious as to whether the scholarship notification came in the email that linked to your video, or in the followup email to that?

The follow up email said that I have been awarded a scholarship and then the scholarship was specified in an email after that. It was not in the one with the video.

Does the criminal background check have to be paid for before November 29?

Do they do second look?

They have a spring training which is usually in April so it's after match. It is a weekend with stuff (scavenger hunt, tour, etc depending on what the MSI class plans) at the HSC as well as things like a night out at a bar/club, BBQ lunch, games, etc. It's when a lot of the incoming med students either find roommates or rent homes/apartments. You can stay with an MSI for that weekend and they can shuttle you to all the activities and to look for housing if you are interested in that.

Withdrew today. I hope someone here gets my spot!

I have a question about the scholarship. In my Acceptance email sent on the 22nd I had a checklist of items that needed to be sent back by tomorrow (the 29th). In that checklist one of the items is the Scholarship Letter and Response Form. I have not yet received this form. Does this mean that I am going to receive a scholarship or is this just sent to everyone?

I have a question about the scholarship. In my Acceptance email sent on the 22nd I had a checklist of items that needed to be sent back by tomorrow (the 29th). In that checklist one of the items is the Scholarship Letter and Response Form. I have not yet received this form. Does this mean that I am going to receive a scholarship or is this just sent to everyone?

I had that on my list too and no scholarship offer either. So it may just be a generic checklist.

sooo if i was just absent minded over thanksgiving and didnt get the forms in by the 29th... think i'm screwed?

sooo if i was just absent minded over thanksgiving and didnt get the forms in by the 29th... think i'm screwed?

I would call or send them an e-mail today to be safe. There's no point in taking any unnecessary risks, just in case your reply didn't get there for some reason. :)

Has anyone received a packet in the mail or anything? I don't know if they even do that. Thanks.

Just discovered this thread and wanted y'alls advice. I received an invite middle of september with options to interview on either of the first 3 fridays of december. I chose the 3rd friday since it's during winter break, wouldn't have to reschedule final exams. Is it strange that they emailed me early and offered interview dates very late?

Also, do you have any general advice for the interviews? I've read through all 8 pages of the thread, just wanted to see if anyone can offer any insight into the type of questions they asked. My only other interview thus far has been at TCOM.

Also, just wanted to get some honest opinions on where I stand as an applicant. I unfortunately have a gpa in the low 3's, less than 3.4. I have a 30 MCAT, but I was the President of me national pre-medical honor society at UT- austin and was heavily involved in the community/volunteering, also did a few surgical internships. Applied last year and didn't get in, so I'm currently doing the UNTHSC masters of medical science program (post-bach that's very similar to 1st year med school). How many of the seats have been filled so far? Do they accept many late interviewees?

Just discovered this thread and wanted y'alls advice. I received an invite middle of september with options to interview on either of the first 3 fridays of december. I chose the 3rd friday since it's during winter break, wouldn't have to reschedule final exams. Is it strange that they emailed me early and offered interview dates very late?

Also, do you have any general advice for the interviews? I've read through all 8 pages of the thread, just wanted to see if anyone can offer any insight into the type of questions they asked. My only other interview thus far has been at TCOM.

Also, just wanted to get some honest opinions on where I stand as an applicant. I unfortunately have a gpa in the low 3's, less than 3.4. I have a 30 MCAT, but I was the President of me national pre-medical honor society at UT- austin and was heavily involved in the community/volunteering, also did a few surgical internships. Applied last year and didn't get in, so I'm currently doing the UNTHSC masters of medical science program (post-bach that's very similar to 1st year med school). How many of the seats have been filled so far? Do they accept many late interviewees?

I wouldn't be too worried about the late invite date. I got an invite in early September and it was for quite a bit later. Based on very limited data available, I don't think TT-Lubbock is as pre-match heavy as UTMB or UTSW; I imagine they have quite a few seats still available. Your GPA is a little low, but I think their average MCAT last year was a 29.

General interview advice

Be prepared to explain why you want to be a physician using specific examples and activities that you are in to justify your reasoning. Be prepared to cover any weaknesses, perceived or actual, in your application. Make sure you know enough specifically about TT-Lubbock that you can have some questions prepared for the very end of your interview. Always, always have questions!

TT-Lubbock-specific advice:

Several other people and I had one interview with two people; perhaps it was training for future interviewers. If you see two people, don't freak out-- just make sure you can succinctly explain who you are and what makes you a good applicant. I don't think my trainee was familiar with my application, and that may be similar for you.

You may also get a student interviewer; make sure to treat that interview just as seriously. :) I was asked a few questions like "So I see you took the LSAT a few years ago... are you thinking of applying to law school too?" which threw me off a little bit because I was expecting a gentler interview. Just make sure to keep your narrative straight in your head and you should be able to do about as well as anyone.

Finally, if you have a good reason for wanting to be in West Texas, for the love of all that is holy remember to bring it up in your interviews. :luck:

I wouldn't be too worried about the late invite date. I got an invite in early September and it was for quite a bit later. Based on very limited data available, I don't think TT-Lubbock is as pre-match heavy as UTMB or UTSW; I imagine they have quite a few seats still available. Your GPA is a little low, but I think their average MCAT last year was a 29.

General interview advice

Be prepared to explain why you want to be a physician using specific examples and activities that you are in to justify your reasoning. Be prepared to cover any weaknesses, perceived or actual, in your application. Make sure you know enough specifically about TT-Lubbock that you can have some questions prepared for the very end of your interview. Always, always have questions!

TT-Lubbock-specific advice:

Several other people and I had one interview with two people; perhaps it was training for future interviewers. If you see two people, don't freak out-- just make sure you can succinctly explain who you are and what makes you a good applicant. I don't think my trainee was familiar with my application, and that may be similar for you.

You may also get a student interviewer; make sure to treat that interview just as seriously. :) I was asked a few questions like "So I see you took the LSAT a few years ago... are you thinking of applying to law school too?" which threw me off a little bit because I was expecting a gentler interview. Just make sure to keep your narrative straight in your head and you should be able to do about as well as anyone.

Finally, if you have a good reason for wanting to be in West Texas, for the love of all that is holy remember to bring it up in your interviews. :luck:

This. Tech is interested in finding students who would consider staying and practicing in West Texas after medical school. Was told this by many students there.

Interview invite today (super late in the season, I know, so for all the ppl still waiting for II, there's still hope), and scheduled for Friday 12/9.

Can anyone interviewed here briefly outline the interview day agenda? Thanks!

Interview invite today (super late in the season, I know, so for all the ppl still waiting for II, there's still hope), and scheduled for Friday 12/9.

Can anyone interviewed here briefly outline the interview day agenda? Thanks!

Congrats!! :) Stats, please?? I'm still hoping for an invite too.

3.5/35, in-state. Now I regret deleting my MdApps account.

And the choices for Interview date were 12/9, 12/16, and 1/6.

Yes, I was accepted into the F-MAT program in October. When did you interview?

Congrats thats awesome. I interviewed on 10/21. The F-MAT faculty that I interviewed with said that offers wouldn't be sent until mid December but I guess not.

Did they give you an iPad like last year?

Congrats again!!!

I'm still waiting to get an admissions offer..........

No i didn't get an iPad. I think they did that last year because they accepted F-MAT students from their first year class. This is the first year they are interviewing for the program as you apply. I don't know if they will still be giving out iPads. I've only heard of these from second hand accounts like yours.

Interview invite! The choices left were 12/16 and 01/06... I chose Dec 16th. (see MDApps for stats).

It's my first interview EVER (I have another invite, but its for a diff school in january) -- so any advice on how to prepare between now and next Friday?? Any advice specifically for the MD/MBA program? That's my top choice!

Also, I read on the SDN interview feedback page for this school that the interviews are Open file but blind to GPA/MCAT. Is that correct??

Yes the interviews are Open File but your GPA/MCAT are withheld from the interviewers. My interviewers were pretty knowledgeable about my application so I suggest to go over your application fully again. Also be prepared to answer why Texas Tech Lubbock and mention any ties to West Texas (if you have any).

Has anyone received a packet in the mail or anything? I don't know if they even do that. Thanks.

I was wondering this too, but haven't received any thing so I don't think they do. I emailed them asking if there was anything else I needed to do right now (after returning the signed letters, deposit etc.) and never got a response so I'm assuming nothing to do right now.

I was wondering this too, but haven't received any thing so I don't think they do. I emailed them asking if there was anything else I needed to do right now (after returning the signed letters, deposit etc.) and never got a response so I'm assuming nothing to do right now.

Yeah, I agree that they probably won't be sending us anything. I got my copy of the background check yesterday, so I know that they received my info.

Has anyone interviewed for (or also been accepted to) the MD/MBA program? Any tips on how to prepare for it? When is the MBA interview during the interview day??

Accepted to it, but did not prepare for it. It was the same as my other interviews. Also, it is random. Some people had it in the middle or the end or the beginning.

Has anyone interviewed for (or also been accepted to) the MD/MBA program? Any tips on how to prepare for it? When is the MBA interview during the interview day??

I was also accepted. I was honest and told them I had absolutely no business experience (which I think they liked) but had a lot of interest, then we ended up talking about how I improved my MCAT score and I mentioned that I got organized (which I think they liked). I also talked about leadership positions I held and how I want to be a leader. So... be honest and show that you are organized and that you want to be a leader.

Pre-matched today at 3:54 pm!!! I really loved this school, and it's going to be very difficult to choose between Lubbock and El paso. And just to give you low GPA'ers some hope, I'm a 3.29 undergrad/34R. I have a 4.0 in my masters program in public health in epidemiology, but that still doesn't offset the low undergrad GPA (this is way more important than grad GPA). Keep up hope, there are still a lot of positions and time left in the Texas match!

I love Tech after my interviews there. It's so difficult to choose between A&M and Tech for me and I am feeling guilty/bad that I have to eventually withdraw from one.:(

I love Tech after my interviews there. It's so difficult to choose between A&M and Tech for me and I am feeling guilty/bad that I have to eventually withdraw from one.:(

I'm in the exact same situation... and feel the same way lol

:soexcited: Pre-matched as well today @ 3:54 pm. The personalized video was pretty sweet. I'm surprised I pre-matched since I interviewed back in August and I assumed only Oct/Nov interviewees were getting pre-matches anymore.

Accepted today! Loved the personalized video they send you, kinda took me off guard! Great school, will make the final decision very tough.

Has anyone heard from the F-MAT program yet?

I was also accepted into the F-MAT program in October. My interview date was in early September. Here's hoping you hear something soon!! :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.