2011-2012 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of these claims the college denies. There also have been a lot of upper management changes. We have the interim dean, Dr. Nora, who has a good track record for financial responsibility at places like NEOUCOM, working hard to establish more consistent funding and put the money where it needs to go. And the LCME is having their followup site visit this month, so that probation status should be lifted very soon. I'm confident that the school will stick around for awhile, and you just can't argue with that step 1 pass rate.

Thanks for your reply; definitely comforting! Just in case y'all hear about LCME's visit and/or a status update first, would you mind posting it on here for us whenever it happens?

Members don't see this ad.

Got the "Decision Pending Reviewed" status recently. Unfortunately don't find out what this means until the end of February.

Does everyone who interviewed get this? Just wondering if anyone got this status and then was waitlisted, or something. Thanks.

Got the "Decision Pending Reviewed" status recently. Unfortunately don't find out what this means until the end of February.

Does everyone who interviewed get this? Just wondering if anyone got this status and then was waitlisted, or something. Thanks.

It's just part of the process...everyone gets this status after the interview if they look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any of those accepted received any additional information via email or snail mail? Have you been able to access the portal? My user name and password haven't been working.

My application portal has been inactivated as well. I thinkthey will send an e-mail in the near future so we can access the “TCMC portal”.This is what it said in the e-mail they sent in conformation of the deposit. Iguess they keep the application information separate.

Hey guys, congrats on the invite and getting in. i submitted the secondary in late sept, and haven't heard anything. I am planning to send in update letter/letter of interest. do you know if they accept any? thanks

Decision pending reviewed as of 1/30. Interviewed 12/5. Can't wait till February 24th to see the result :xf::xf::xf:

During my interview day they said we would hear on the 14th, and when asked if it was the 14th or 24th they again said 14th. Maybe she was just mistaken, but thats what we were told. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

During my interview day they said we would hear on the 14th, and when asked if it was the 14th or 24th they again said 14th. Maybe she was just mistaken, but thats what we were told. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

Funny you mention this.. I was also told we'd hear back on the 14th, but I assumed it was a mistake when I saw the release date of Feb. 24th on their website. When did you interview? I was there Dec. 13th, I believe, so if you were there the same day maybe that's why we were both told the 14th.

Funny you mention this.. I was also told we'd hear back on the 14th, but I assumed it was a mistake when I saw the release date of Feb. 24th on their website. When did you interview? I was there Dec. 13th, I believe, so if you were there the same day maybe that's why we were both told the 14th.
They told us that too but they weren't "sure" which day it exactly was, and told us that they "think it's 14th." But one person among the interviewees was keen enough to remind them that the website said 24th, so in the end I think they admitted then maybe that's the day. But yes, they didn't know on top of their head, so I'd stick with the website's date.

They told us that too but they weren't "sure" which day it exactly was, and told us that they "think it's 14th." But one person among the interviewees was keen enough to remind them that the website said 24th, so in the end I think they admitted then maybe that's the day. But yes, they didn't know on top of their head, so I'd stick with the website's date.

I agree. And that's what I assumed that day -- that they just didn't know off the top of their heads. I'm pretty confident that the release date will be the 24th. Also, the 14th is a Tuesday and the 24th is a Friday, and their last release date was a Friday.

I interviewed on Jan 23 so if they have been saying the 14th for a month it may be the 14th. Or it may not be. Who knows? I sent them an email last week asking but never got a response.

Just got an email from the admissions office. The adcom meets on the 14th and we will be notified on the 24th

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email from the admissions office. The adcom meets on the 14th and we will be notified on the 24th

Thanks for sharing. That clears up the confusion about why we were told the 14th. The bigger question is... Why wait 10 days after meeting to tell us the decision?! Haha. The end is (hopefully) in sight! :)

Last edited:
II today, but I think I will be declining the invitation. Best of luck to those of you still waiting

The LCME will be meeting in June to decide our school's accreditation status. The decision will be based upon a week-long visit by an LCME site team at TCMC that took place last month. Everyone was very optimistic and the team had great things to say about the school. Previous probation-related issues seem to be very well under control if not completely taken care of. Two of the team members that were here are currently deans from great medical schools and they were quite impressed with the school. Importantly, one thing that they told some of the students they met with was that they see no problems getting into great residency programs coming from TCMC. Other people with experience in residency programs have said similar things, including that they will really want to get their hands on students who have gone through the Longitudinal Integrated Curriculum that we go through in our 3rd year. Hopefully that helps address the issues of accreditation and residency.

As for primary care - yes, the school hopes that many of its students will enter primary care (which is NOT limited to family medicine) but there is no pressure on us to do anything except what we want to do. Advisors, teachers, and clinical faculty are very supportive of any specialty you want to pursue and are very willing to help you pursue your interests.

I really appreciate this insight of a current TCMC student into the issues they are facing concerning accreditation, probation, and residency matching. I would really like to hear what more students have to say about it.

Also I was wondering what other applicants thought. Personally, I felt that this school was such a good fit that I will definitely attend. That being said, I do sometimes worry about these issues. I have just been trying to stay informed and focus on the extensive efforts of the medical college. Sometimes, though, it is hard not to pay attention to the haters.

Hey guys...

I interviewed early in January, and our group was told we would get an e-mail, if accepted, on the February 16th (today). Did anyone hear anything? I'm assuming if we didn't get an e-mail, then we were either wait-listed or rejected..

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind..I just scrolled up and saw that it's now on the 24th.. -crossing my fingers-

Man, I can't believe I interviewed 5 months ago... 7 more days! :xf::xf:

Woohoo! The wait has been intolerable!:xf:Come on good news!! :luck: :xf:

(Also, wow... 5 months is complete torture.. You didn't find out from the first release date??)

Has anyone who was accepted heard anything back about when we'll get access to the portal? I thought they said a few weeks but it's been a few months lol...

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear on Feb 24th!

Woohoo! The wait has been intolerable!:xf:Come on good news!! :luck: :xf:

(Also, wow... 5 months is complete torture.. You didn't find out from the first release date??)

Torture is an understatement haha. I got deferred from the first release date... they called me and said I wasn't waitlisted, but that I was just under the number of acceptances they could release for Dec. 16th. It sounds promising, but I have to worst luck known to man so we'll see what happens :p

Torture is an understatement haha. I got deferred from the first release date... they called me and said I wasn't waitlisted, but that I was just under the number of acceptances they could release for Dec. 16th. It sounds promising, but I have to worst luck known to man so we'll see what happens :p

WOW... Miserable, miserable, miserable! Here's to hoping you get some good news! So they can only offer a certain number of acceptances at each release date?? Any idea what that number is? Does that mean if you're not accepted, you just get rolled over vs. being rejected or waitlisted? I think I'll burst into flames if I don't get a definite answer next Friday. :scared: This whole process has been beyond draining and nerve wracking!

is there a second look day? anyone have news post-acceptance?

lol it's been 4 months for me since my interview. It sounds good that they called you Tide, i only got the generic email. we'll see how it goes in a couple of days i guess.

lol it's been 4 months for me since my interview. It sounds good that they called you Tide, i only got the generic email. we'll see how it goes in a couple of days i guess.

Only 4 months? haha. We're in the same boat it appears. They called me back because I had left voicemails about something else... I don't think it indicates anything other than that. I established the strongest connection with this school, so I hope me (and y'all) get in!

Finally the release date is coming up, Hope everyone luck :luck:
Does everyone who's waiting have decision pending reviewed in their status and can't wait to find out what that decision is? I am, lol

Does everyone who's waiting have decision pending reviewed in their status and can't wait to find out what that decision is? I am, lol

Yup. Mine says "Decision Pending." 5 MORE DAYS!! :)

Doesn't everyone get this post-interview?
You get "decision pending" post interview. I got it a week or two after my interview. Once the adcom makes a decision, your status will change to "decision pending reviewed," which I got around a month after the "decision pending" status, and about 6 weeks after my interview.

You get "decision pending" post interview. I got it a week or two after my interview. Once the adcom makes a decision, your status will change to "decision pending reviewed," which I got around a month after the "decision pending" status, and about 6 weeks after my interview.

hm i have the decision pending reviewed since 11/29 or something. I guess their decision was to roll me over Lol.

Ahhh! Very anxiously awaiting 5 pm Friday!! And yes, I've had "decision pending reviewed" since 1/24.

If we still have decision pending and not decision pending reviewed does that mean we have been rolled over to April?

If we still have decision pending and not decision pending reviewed does that mean we have been rolled over to April?

Hmmm.. Not sure, but I think you have to have the 'reviewed' after it for a final decision to have been made. Took my application ~6 weeks to go from 'decision pending' to 'decision pending reviewed'. When did you interview? And when did you get the 'decision pending' status?

I interviewed on Jan 23 and had decision pending Jan 24. Anyone from the Jan 23 group have decision pending reviewed?

Hey everyone. I was accepted in December and didn't get the email from the admissions office until 7:22 PM that night. I looked at website and it was updated to "admit" at 6:20PM. So on Friday you might want to check the website first!
Best of luck!!!

Hey everyone. I was accepted in December and didn't get the email from the admissions office until 7:22 PM that night. I looked at website and it was updated to "admit" at 6:20PM. So on Friday you might want to check the website first!
Best of luck!!!
Haha thanks :thumbup: Lucky I'm in the pacific time zone lol

So all of this talk about Decision Pending and Decision Pending Reviewed prompted me to check my own status.

Interviewed 1/13
Decision Pending status 1/16
Decision Pending Reviewed status 2/08

What does it all mean?
I'll let you know friday afternoon.

I think there was a discussion about the decision pending/ decision pending reviewed thing a couple of pages back. I'm pretty sure everyone gets both statuses. It doesn't really mean anything.

I think there was a discussion about the decision pending/ decision pending reviewed thing a couple of pages back. I'm pretty sure everyone gets both statuses. It doesn't really mean anything.

The only reason it was brought up was because someone didn't have the "reviewed" after "decision pending", and they were wondering if they would hear anything on Friday. We're in agreement that everyone gets both, but the timing of when your decision is "reviewed" is significant in terms of making the release date. :) Also, thanks for the tip to check the online portal if we don't get an e-mail right away! Congrats on your acceptance -- hope to be joining your ranks soon!!

3 more days!!!! :D

Last edited:
The only reason it was brought up was because someone didn't have the "reviewed" after "decision pending", and they were wondering if they would hear anything on Friday. We're in agreement that everyone gets both, but the timing of when your decision is "reviewed" is significant in terms of making the release date. :) Also, thanks for the tip to check the online portal if we don't get an e-mail right away! Congrats on your acceptance -- hope to be joining your ranks soon!!

3 more days!!!! :D

This :thumbup:

Hey current TCMC students, I'd like to ask a few questions about the school curriculum and daily schedule of a medical student if you don't mind.
How is the typical day in TCMC like? How many classes/lectures are there, and what time do they end? How many hours a day do you spend studying outside of classwork? What is the grading system like? Do all students take the same courses and attend same lectures?
I wanted to know more about TCMC and would appreciate any input.

Hi,

I was wondering- does anyone know if people who were waitlisted in the first round will receive an update tomorrow either way? Or, if we're deferred again, will they not send us anything..?
Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering- does anyone know if people who were waitlisted in the first round will receive an update tomorrow either way? Or, if we're deferred again, will they not send us anything..?
Thanks!
If you were deferred, you will be hearing a notification tomorrow, whether it's 1) acceptance, 2) waitlist, 3) rejection, or 4) another deferral.

If you were waitlisted, I'm not so sure how it will work out. I really don't know whether TCMC considers deferrals and waitlists as separate decisions.

In my opinion, if waitlist is different from a deferral, then I would expect nothing tomorrow and nothing until May, when the waitlist movement starts. This is because they have already decided that they want to wait and see before they accept you based on how many acceptees will respond.

If waitlist = deferral, then you should be hearing back because they couldn't accept you the last round because they had a cap of how many acceptances they could hand out and you barely missed the cut, so they wanted to compare you to the next batch of interviewees for the next round.

If they said you have been rolled over to the next round, then you will def. be hearing back :)
The best way to check is see if there were guys from the last round were waitlisted and there were guys who were "rolled over." If there's both types, then I guess waitlist is not the same as being "rolled over."

Looks like from previous posts that waitlist is not the same as deferrals. One of the posters said that his status changed from waitlisted to deferred in the last round. So if you have been waitlisted, I guess you won't be hearing back tomorrow, but you definitely will if you have been deferred.

Thanks so much for your help! Given what you said, and the fact that my letter said:
"The Admissions Committee has decided to hold your application for reconsideration until the next notification period"
...you think I'll be hearing something tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.