2011-2012 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sigh i almost wish i hadn't read this... i thought i might still have a chance if i got waitlisted... sad to hear a LOT of your friends never heard back :(

hopefully there is a lot of movement this year :xf:
yep my heart sank too...but I guess we can just hope and wish!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who interviewed 12/16 or prior still waiting to hear anything? It's approaching the 3 month mark for me, so definitely starting to feel some major anxiety as it seems like most people who are accepted hear back within 2 months

sigh i almost wish i hadn't read this... i thought i might still have a chance if i got waitlisted... sad to hear a LOT of your friends never heard back :(

hopefully there is a lot of movement this year :xf:

I know a couple people who were accepted off the wait list and heard back in June/July. There's always hope for us :)!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anymore movement off the interview waitlist? Anyone have any idea how many people are on this list?

I interview here on Friday. Can anyone who has interviewed already please shed some light on your experience?

I interview here on Friday. Can anyone who has interviewed already please shed some light on your experience?

Don't stress too much. The MMI goes by very quickly once you get the hang of it, and is much more interesting than a traditional interview. The rest of the day is informative and relaxed (very friendly students and admissions staff, plus lots of candy!) Good luck!

I have a question for accepted or current students who did a revisit day (or current students who have seen students on revisits). What are applicants supposed to wear? I'm shadowing a physician part of the day and hanging out with students the rest of the day. A suit seems like a little much, but I want to err on the side of caution. Any insight? Slacks and a button down? (I'm a girl). Thanks :)

Don't stress too much. The MMI goes by very quickly once you get the hang of it, and is much more interesting than a traditional interview. The rest of the day is informative and relaxed (very friendly students and admissions staff, plus lots of candy!) Good luck!

I have a question for accepted or current students who did a revisit day (or current students who have seen students on revisits). What are applicants supposed to wear? I'm shadowing a physician part of the day and hanging out with students the rest of the day. A suit seems like a little much, but I want to err on the side of caution. Any insight? Slacks and a button down? (I'm a girl). Thanks :)

Did you already receive any information from Davis about revisit day? I was accepted back in November but haven't received such communications.

I don't know. The people who have come by have been in interview attire. I feel (personally) dressing nice but a little more relaxed than interview would work. Wear what you would wear to shadow a doctor and you will be fine for the visit. Once again just my thoughts. It seems low-key so just dress professionally.

Sidenote: If you want to see our class schedule for the day you visit just go to: https://somapp.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/meded/scheduling/ and under "view by" select medical student year 1 and you can get a feel for our class schedule that day.

Congrats!

Hey guys anyone from 2/24 interview got any decisions yet?

Anyone know if they are still handing out IIs?

Anyone know if they are still handing out IIs?

My guess (because I have no contact with admissions) is that they probably are not going to be. As far as I can tell, there are only two interviews left (don't quote me though as I really am just guessing here based upon last year and the dates I was told there are still interviews this year). I guess is what I mean is I know there are two interviews left because they are asking for students to give tours to all of you on those dates. They could in theory add more but they ended last year at the end of March also. After the March interviews are done, I bet in the next month or so admissions will be pouring in.

Side note to give some hope: The Facebook page for our Class of 2016ers has only about 30 accepted students on it so far. I am sure some have not found it and others have not joined it because they are choosing between multiple acceptances but still the numbers should be encouraging. My completely unscientific no-actual-proof guess would be that they have to give out acceptances to at least 20-40 people still. I would like those odds if I was sitting on a waitlist or haven't heard anything or was interviewing soon.

My advice is sketchy and unreliable but I know I would have enjoyed at least something like this last year from the current class. Take it all with a grain of salt as I am just a lowly MS1 and haven't talked to admissions since my acceptance last May.

Keep planning as if you may not get in but don't give up hope yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
My guess (because I have no contact with admissions) is that they probably are not going to be. As far as I can tell, there are only two interviews left (don't quote me though as I really am just guessing here based upon last year and the dates I was told there are still interviews this year). I guess is what I mean is I know there are two interviews left because they are asking for students to give tours to all of you on those dates. They could in theory add more but they ended last year at the end of March also. After the March interviews are done, I bet in the next month or so admissions will be pouring in.

Side note to give some hope: The Facebook page for our Class of 2016ers has only about 30 accepted students on it so far. I am sure some have not found it and others have not joined it because they are choosing between multiple acceptances but still the numbers should be encouraging. My completely unscientific no-actual-proof guess would be that they have to give out acceptances to at least 20-40 people still. I would like those odds if I was sitting on a waitlist or haven't heard anything or was interviewing soon.

My advice is sketchy and unreliable but I know I would have enjoyed at least something like this last year from the current class. Take it all with a grain of salt as I am just a lowly MS1 and haven't talked to admissions since my acceptance last May.

Keep planning as if you may not get in but don't give up hope yet.

:thumbup:
Thanks for the insight.

Going to free up an interview spot for April, hoping someone who really deserves it gets it.

Hi guys,
I received Dr. Sousa's call today around 1 pm PST. Accepted. Interviewed 2/3.

This is my first post. I've been curious about where others stand in the application process, so I decided to share the news.

I guess the timing varies quite a bit, even among people who interview the same day. I read posts by folks who interviewed the same day I did or later and heard back weeks before I did. So don't despair too early in the game.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd let everyone know, I got the call from Dr. Sousa today and was moved from a waitlist position to an acceptance! Wasn't expecting any movement this early. I interview way back in August and was waitlisted in November. Good luck to everyone!

Just thought I'd let everyone know, I got the call from Dr. Sousa today and was moved from a waitlist position to an acceptance! Wasn't expecting any movement this early. I interview way back in August and was waitlisted in November. Good luck to everyone!

wtf... there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to how UCD handles its admissions process..

wtf... there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to how UCD handles its admissions process..

No there doesn't...But what I do know is that I have a lot more respect for the schools that send out pre-interview rejections early in the cycle instead of swinging people along until the last minute

No there doesn't...But what I do know is that I have a lot more respect for the schools that send out pre-interview rejections early in the cycle instead of swinging people along until the last minute

AGREED! i have yet to get the final news but this process seems a bit all over the place. i love Davis but good god!!

I still haven't heard from them since submitting my secondary....

Congratulations! This gives me hope :)

Do they not give out pre-interview rejections?

Do they not give out pre-interview rejections?

They do send out pre-interview rejections. A colleague of mine got one back in November. However, I think those of us on the interview wait-list wont hear anything until interviews are over.

anybody know best/quickest way from airport to the campus? ~$ for cab ride?

yikes, cab rides kinda hefty, i'll definitely book the supershuttle then

Anyone know how many interview dates are left (and when they are)?

say it with me: "!@#$ YOU, DAVIS!"

Oh no! So sorry to hear that you guys! I see that some of you have an acceptance elsewhere though so that's somewhat encouraging. Hang on there! If you're left without a backup right now, as my friend says, this process is a "crapshoot." I hope you'll be strong and hold onto your dreams regardless. I don't have an inspiring story to tell or anything but.....a SDN member shared this site on their blog, ted.com (nonprofit for sharing ideas), and I found it useful. Maybe you can renew yourself there :)

Might I ask if you guys are pre-interview / interview waitlist? It seems so but just to be sure.

Oh no! So sorry to hear that you guys! I see that some of you have an acceptance elsewhere though so that's somewhat encouraging. Hang on there! If you're left without a backup right now, as my friend says, this process is a "crapshoot." I hope you'll be strong and hold onto your dreams regardless. I don't have an inspiring story to tell or anything but.....a SDN member shared this site on their blog, ted.com (nonprofit for sharing ideas), and I found it useful. Maybe you can renew yourself there :)

Might I ask if you guys are pre-interview / interview waitlist? It seems so but just to be sure.

mine was post-interview

pre-interview waitlist

For those accepted, does your acceptance show on the opening page of the secondary/application portal?

For those accepted, does your acceptance show on the opening page of the secondary/application portal?

Yes, it has the offer of acceptance. An additional tab, "Acceptance Offer" also shows up.

I've also got a question for other accepted students, has anyone had to pay a deposit of any sort? The only communication I've received was the email containing all the requirements to be finished before June 1st.

Yes, it has the offer of acceptance. An additional tab, "Acceptance Offer" also shows up.

I've also got a question for other accepted students, has anyone had to pay a deposit of any sort? The only communication I've received was the email containing all the requirements to be finished before June 1st.

I don't think so but I'm not positive... I haven't paid anything, I just accepted via the website, and now I just see that message saying to upload my transcripts and immunizations and stuff.

Does anyone know if UCD is having a second look weekend? And if so, when it might be??

don't they do individual revisits?

Yes they do, I was just hoping they also had a second look haha. I'm very torn between UCD and another school and want all the info I can get.

Second look weekend is April 20th and 21st. You should be getting an email about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.