2011-2012 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone else interviewing next friday 2/24? hope to meet some of you there!
and good luck to those waiting for interviews or decisions :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think its a good idea to call in and ask for status for decisions?

I called and asked because I was neurotic and impatient. Honestly, it's unlikely that they will give you any definitive information regarding your admission's status, but they may share generic information regarding where they are in the admissions cycle. Sometimes just knowing a little bit goes a long way in easing some of the stress associated with waiting. Good luck!

Just got a call from Dean Sousa :)
Accepted!
Interviewed on Feb. 3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call today, so stoked!! I interviewed on Feb. 3rd.

Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!!

Do you know of people who got into Davis 2 months or more after their interview? I feel like the longer the silence goes, the less my chances are...
2 months was about right for me. I interviewed on one of the last dates so maybe it was a quicker decision for me.

Interview invite today! be there on March 2nd! Hope to see some of you there.

Congrats!!! Were you on the interview waitlist??

I wasn't as far as I know, I was complete really really early summer and my status page never changed.

I was actually really hoping to interview here, but I'm all done and will hopefully give my spot to one of our SDN family members :)

I wasn't as far as I know, I was complete really really early summer and my status page never changed.

I was actually really hoping to interview here, but I'm all done and will hopefully give my spot to one of our SDN family members :)

thanks for the info! :)

it seems like they haven't pulled anyone from the interview waitlist yet. hopefully they will soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
invite today. i thought I was done interviewing for the year

ack, I keep typing a post then the sdn site crashes on me!

Anyway, no, as far as I know I was not interview wait-listed. The last email I received was in July confirming receipt of my secondary. The crickets had drowned out my hopes. It is good to be blindsided by good news in this crazy, soul-destroying process. I am still staring blankly with shock while my husband is busy looking for german shepard rescues and housing in the Sac area. The possibility is very exciting.
IS, 38O (1st was 26R), 3.61, non-trad, 2nd application round

hey guys keep the hope alive...coming from someone who interviewed in March last year, many of us that interviewed late are now my classmates!

I got an interview invite last night as well! And I was actually interview waitlisted way back in november. So it looks like they are starting to pull from that list.

I got an interview invite last night as well! And I was actually interview waitlisted way back in november. So it looks like they are starting to pull from that list.

thanks for letting us know! crossing my fingers! :)

Hi. First off, congrats!! And best of luck.

Was your invite by email or phone? I'm on interview waitlist and need to leave the country for a weeks in march. I'm trying to figure out if and how a notification might come.

Thanks! And r the invites for late march? I called the office and I think they said last possible interview day is first Friday in April.

Hi. First off, congrats!! And best of luck.

Was your invite by email or phone? I'm on interview waitlist and need to leave the country for a weeks in march. I'm trying to figure out if and how a notification might come.

Thanks! And r the invites for late march? I called the office and I think they said last possible interview day is first Friday in April.

Thanks!!

My invite came by email so no need to worry about a phone call. Do interview invites ever go out by phone?

When I scheduled my interview, I saw March 2, 9 and 23. I didn't bother checking April, so I'm not sure what else there was.

Thanks!!

My invite came by email so no need to worry about a phone call. Do interview invites ever go out by phone?

When I scheduled my interview, I saw March 2, 9 and 23. I didn't bother checking April, so I'm not sure what else there was.

Thanks! I actually got one invite via phone. In Davis' original email when I was waitlisted for interviewed, they asked for phone number and email... That's why I wondered. Best of luck again!! :)

hey guys keep the hope alive...coming from someone who interviewed in March last year, many of us that interviewed late are now my classmates!
Thanks! For you two med students, what has suprised you most since you started at Davis? Good, bad, unusual, anything you share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! For you two med students, what has suprised you most since you started at Davis? Good, bad, unusual, anything you share will be greatly appreciated.

Random thoughts: What surprised me the most is it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (med school in general). Our facilities are really nice and our teachers want us to succeed. I think our anatomy staff is amazing! The support staff and curriculum staff do a great job.

The MMI must be working because my classmates and the MS2s are very solid people. I was expecting med students to be a little anti-social and hardcore competitive but I don't feel like that is the case here. I enjoy the fact that we have our own facebook group and class website in order to share study aids. We have a college system where you are assigned a big sib from the previous class who helps you out when you have questions and also a staff member who is only responsible for 4 other classmates so no one falls through the cracks. We have a big student lounge where people eat and play ping-pong and generally hang out.

I actually like Sacramento (a lot of people may not because it is quieter here) and its proximity to Tahoe and San Francisco. Cost of living is noticeably less if you are from So Cal. The hospital is very nice. We have 24 hour access to our med school and can study in there anytime. Our school is small and we share it only with some night classes for business and nursing students (barely ever see them).

We learn how to do physical exams on patients (including rectal, vaginal, and inguinal) in the first block which comes in handy while volunteering at one of the tons of free clinics we have here. Clinics are amazing and you actually do a lot as a first year.

The bad: Some teachers aren't very good (most are). During block 2 there are so many TBLs and PBLs and other cases with mandatory attendance and homework. I feel that half of these are useful and the other half waste my time. Summers are long and hot while winters are long and cold (not crazy bad but trying hard to find things to complain about).

Summary: I would pick this school again even if I had other acceptances in CA. The small class size and awesome students combined with a school that wants us to succeed makes going through all of this work easier.

I am sure I missed a lot but those are the things that came to my head during this study break (quiz on Tuesday).

Hope this helps :thumbup:

Thanks DrOptimistic! It helps a lot. My undergrad was at another UC and I was not a fan of the cut-throat competition I felt during those years. If that behavior has been weeded out then I am even more excited about checking out Davis. Good luck on your quiz.

Thanks DrOptimistic! It helps a lot. My undergrad was at another UC and I was not a fan of the cut-throat competition I felt during those years. If that behavior has been weeded out then I am even more excited about checking out Davis. Good luck on your quiz.

I also graduated from another UC and second that thought of not liking the whole cut-throat thing. Hopefully Davis will be different.

My application status hasn't changed since I submitted my secondary last August. So I don't think I am interview waitlisted. Any thoughts on my chances? This is my number one school...

Kinda sad about it, but I withdrew my acceptance.. hopefully an extra person can get accepted instead of playing the waitlist game. Good luck! :oops:

Got an interview invite from the interview wait-list today.

However, there are not available dates in the Application Portal. I called and they said they were working on finding more dates. Am I now guaranteed an interview time? Or does it now depend if they have time to interview me (I can be available whenever)?

Thank you!

However, there are not available dates in the Application Portal. I called and they said they were working on finding more dates. Am I now guaranteed an interview time? Or does it now depend if they have time to interview me (I can be available whenever)?

Thank you!

I think everyone is too jealous to respond.

How do you know if you are on the interview wait list? I was complete 6/20 so I assume I am, but did you get an e-mail or something?

How do you know if you are on the interview wait list? I was complete 6/20 so I assume I am, but did you get an e-mail or something?

I'm not sure but I think people were notified if they were put on the interview waitlist.

Did anyone hear back today??

Thank you!
I am in the same boat as you. When I first checked, the last interview date was in mid April, so my guess is we are on our own to get any open spots. I've asked the Admissions Office but I haven't heard a response yet.

I hope they will hand out some IIs in March...
:xf:

Hi! I was scanning this thread and saw some questions that I can answer for those waiting. I was interview-waitlisted and did NOT receive an email notifying me of that status. I found out after asking through the applicant portal. They have started interviewing from this list; I interviewed 2/17 and received the invite via phone, not email. I heard from students there that acceptances can start earliest within 2 weeks to beyond 2 months. They do NOT accept letters of interest post-interview; preinterview, I don't know. That's all, best of luck!

Does anyone know for 7d on their supplemental application for finaid whether it includes parental payments for undergraduate tuition?

Just heard :( wait-list post-interview (2/17). Anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist for Davis? Sorry if it has been answered elsewhere. This school is my first choice....

Just heard :( wait-list post-interview (2/17). Anyone know the chances of getting off the waitlist for Davis? Sorry if it has been answered elsewhere. This school is my first choice....
HOly crap. You interviewed 2.17 and heard back already? Do they call you for waitlist?

yes, amazingly fast I know! got an email an hour ago. thoughts on chances anyone? or things to do, ie beg :)

I'll probably be begging with ya LOL...whenever they decide to let me know.

Does anyone know for 7d on their supplemental application for finaid whether it includes parental payments for undergraduate tuition?

Do incoming students need to fill out the supplemental application or do they inform you of this upon acceptance? The website says "continuing students".

Last edited:
Interviewed 11/18.... Waitlisted on 12/08..... brutal....
Davis is also my first choice school.... Unfortunately, a lot of my friends last year were also put on the waitlist.... but never ever heard back from them.... apparently one is still on the waitlist even though he's already an M1 at another school.

Regardless, we should still cling to the fact that we weren't rejected! I really hope accepted students who know for sure they will be matriculating at another school would be our lifesavers and withdraw their apps.... *sigh* if only...

Chin up fellow wait-listers!

Interviewed 11/18.... Waitlisted on 12/08..... brutal....
Davis is also my first choice school.... Unfortunately, a lot of my friends last year were also put on the waitlist.... but never ever heard back from them.... apparently one is still on the waitlist even though he's already an M1 at another school.

Regardless, we should still cling to the fact that we weren't rejected! I really hope accepted students who know for sure they will be matriculating at another school would be our lifesavers and withdraw their apps.... *sigh* if only...

Chin up fellow wait-listers!

sigh i almost wish i hadn't read this... i thought i might still have a chance if i got waitlisted... sad to hear a LOT of your friends never heard back :(

hopefully there is a lot of movement this year :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.