2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OOS students that were accepted into UIC got the same email, with the exception being this:

• M1 tuition (Fall 2012/Spring 2013): $71,000
  • M2 tuition (Fall 2013/Spring 2014): $71,000
  • M2 Summer tuition (Summer 2014): $23,491
  • M3 tuition (Fall 2014/Spring 2015): $71,000
  • M3 Summer tuition (Summer 2015): $23,491
  • M4 tuition (Fall 2015/Spring 2016): $71,000

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone interview in January and get status updates yet? Or am I the only one that is still decision pending?..

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS students that were accepted into UIC got the same email, with the exception being this:

• M1 tuition (Fall 2012/Spring 2013): $71,000
  • M2 tuition (Fall 2013/Spring 2014): $71,000
  • M2 Summer tuition (Summer 2014): $23,491
  • M3 tuition (Fall 2014/Spring 2015): $71,000
  • M3 Summer tuition (Summer 2015): $23,491
  • M4 tuition (Fall 2015/Spring 2016): $71,000

This is absolutely disgusting. As an Illinois resident I am embarrassed by how ridiculous these figures are. The tuition at UIC/lack of state support has caused nearly the entire state to be underrepresented in terms of primary care physicians. This problem will undoubtedly only grow with the arrival of these new tuition numbers. Good luck to everyone attending UIC COM.

Is anybody else interviewing at the Chicago campus March 30th?!? :D

This is absolutely disgusting. As an Illinois resident I am embarrassed by how ridiculous these figures are. The tuition at UIC/lack of state support has caused nearly the entire state to be underrepresented in terms of primary care physicians. This problem will undoubtedly only grow with the arrival of these new tuition numbers. Good luck to everyone attending UIC COM.
I really liked UIC and am happy to be accepted....the tuition I would have to pay however as OOS is freaking me out. Who still thinks UIC is worth it even with these crazy figures for tuition?

I really liked UIC and am happy to be accepted....the tuition I would have to pay however as OOS is freaking me out. Who still thinks UIC is worth it even with these crazy figures for tuition?

I'm on the same boat as you too.... I'm having a hard time deciding whether to attend UIC (despite liking the school alot when I interviewed); the main factor being the tuition cost for OOS students.

I'm on the same boat as you too.... I'm having a hard time deciding whether to attend UIC (despite liking the school alot when I interviewed); the main factor being the tuition cost for OOS students.

Honestly, I can't justify attending this school even as an in-state student. I can't imagine ever paying the out of state rates. I hope you both have other options because these fees are ridiculous.

Honestly, I can't justify attending this school even as an in-state student. I can't imagine ever paying the out of state rates. I hope you both have other options because these fees are ridiculous.

:thumbup: At least in-state, it's still on par with most private schools, averaged over the 4 years. So it's a lot of public but can be rationalized, I suppose.
Out of state is so ridiculous that I can't imagine how anyone can afford it. It seems like almost any other US MD school would be better, assuming it was cheaper.

Hi all, I interviewed in February, and my status changed last week. It's so ominously cryptic. I have no idea what to make of it. lol

hahaha! wow, thanks to whoever took the time to decode these statuses. my chances are looking good! time to stalk the mailman

Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts on the school:

As is the style in Chicago, people aren't exactly warm or friendly at UIC. I interviewed with the head of surgery there, and he directly called me the wrong name. Other than that, he asked me a question about health insurance in Germany, said he would recommend me since I answered it right, and booted me out the door as quick as I came in. Another person's interviewer didn't even show up. I got the impression that everyone was too busy for us (including the admissions lady who didn't look up from her newspaper to talk when we were the only people in the room).

The school itself seemed dark, cold, and dank. We were rushed up and down narrow stairwells and saw some dinky computer lab with maybe 15 stations. Apparently student housing consists of dorms shared with undergrad students. The only noticeable thing about the tour was the fliers littered on every wall protesting the tuition hike, which was never mentioned by the Dean during the information session

I would only come here if I was desperate. my two cents for people debating between multiple schools

As is the style in Chicago, people aren't exactly warm or friendly at UIC. I interviewed with the head of surgery there, and he directly called me the wrong name. Other than that, he asked me a question about health insurance in Germany, said he would recommend me since I answered it right, and booted me out the door as quick as I came in. Another person's interviewer didn't even show up. I got the impression that everyone was too busy for us (including the admissions lady who didn't look up from her newspaper to talk when we were the only people in the room).

The school itself seemed dark, cold, and dank. We were rushed up and down narrow stairwells and saw some dinky computer lab with maybe 15 stations. Apparently student housing consists of dorms shared with undergrad students. The only noticeable thing about the tour was the fliers littered on every wall protesting the tuition hike, which was never mentioned by the Dean during the information session

I would only come here if I was desperate. my two cents for people debating between multiple schools

Sorry you had such a bad experience :( My day today in Peoria was quite the opposite. I met THE NICEST people I have ever met on any interview. Random students took out almost an hour of their day to just sit down and talk with us. The school was very cozy and welcoming, and it seemed like everyone was really happy to be there. My interviewers really got to know me (no healthcare questions and only one ethics question). At the end, they even came out to meet and talk to my mom, who was waiting for me, and said that they were fully confident in me being a great physician. I couldn't believe they did that, it was such an incredible moment for both my mom and I. Really, really amazing experience!

I disagree. I think it's UIC not Chicago.

Edit to clarify I mean UIC in Chicago and not Chicagoans

Last edited:
Sorry you had such a bad experience :( My day today in Peoria was quite the opposite. I met THE NICEST people I have ever met on any interview. Random students took out almost an hour of their day to just sit down and talk with us. The school was very cozy and welcoming, and it seemed like everyone was really happy to be there. My interviewers really got to know me (no healthcare questions and only one ethics question). At the end, they even came out to meet and talk to my mom, who was waiting for me, and said that they were fully confident in me being a great physician. I couldn't believe they did that, it was such an incredible moment for both my mom and I. Really, really amazing experience!
I'll second phnerd. My interview at Rockford was very pleasant. The instructors and students were very nice, they took time to address any questions that I had, and the facilities were very nice and modern (though small since its a regional campus dedicated to just health professions). I was overall very pleased with my interview day.

Maybe you should arrange a tour of one of the other campuses before you totally dismiss the program? You may find that you like the UPR track instead. Just a suggestion.

I interviewed in Peoria and had a great experience. Everyone was extremely nice, especially the interviewers, and I liked the campus and city. I ended up getting placed there and would love to attend Illinois. I agree with those above, though, OOS tuition makes this difficult. The other school I got accepted to is about 60% of the price and is also OOS for me. I'm not mad at UIC, but at the same time I can't really justify going there at this point.

Status changed from applicant in process to application is in process some time last week, I hear thats not a good thing!

Just wanted to share my experience. The tuition hike sucks, it does, and they really should be making more of an effort to discuss it with prospective students or at least seem apologetic/regretful this this hike must happen. But overall, I had a very positive experience at UIC. My interviewers (well the faculty/MD interviewers at least) were honestly some of the nicest and most interesting interviewers I had on the med school trail. They were both extremely relaxed, asked me no healthcare-related or ethical questions; we honestly talked about things like biking along the lakefront, and incorporating a love of art and travel into life as a physician. Our student guide gave us an extensive tour and was quite enthusiastic about her school. Overall, I really enjoyed the day and, though I will not be attending, I thought it seemed like a great place to spend four years. And I would say that Chicago is the most friendly it's gonna get living in a big city in the United States.

I know UIC is H/P/F at least for the 2 preclinical years (and I believe for the clinical
years as well right?), but does UIC keep track of class rank/have internal rankings or give "letters of distinction" to the top 5% of the class or whatever?

"Anyone else applying for UMED here? "

I am... still getting the app together, hopefully i can send it out by Friday.

Last edited:
It is true! I had the words Additional Correspondance and just received my Acceptance Packet today!

My status was updated to Final Decision made on 2/23/12 Thursday around 2pmCST and I received the packet today 3/1/12 (I live in Chicago).

I interviewed in Peoria and really loved the interviewers. They were very kind and interested in getting to know me and made a very good impression on me. I'm so happy! I cried when I opened the packet.

I also never received the Criminal Background Check (CBC) email so don't worry if you see the Additional Correspondance and don't receive the background check email.

Agree! I interviewed at Peoria as well and they were SOOO nice. They made it clear at the start of my interview that they were not going to try to trick me during the interview and to just relax.

"Dark, cold, and dank". :laugh:

1. No one lives in the student housing.
2. I have no idea why we continue to show Edelstone (basement student center/computer lab) to applicants.

BTW, for what it's worth, many of my friends from out-of-state have remarked on how friendly Chicago is. Sorry your experience was different.

Benedetti, whom you interviewed with, is known for being kind of pompous. Utterly brilliant surgeon though, one of the true luminaries of the transplant world.

Congrat to the latest batch of admittances. Once again, I'm happy to field any questions about the Chicago campus.

Congrat to the latest batch of admittances. Once again, I'm happy to field any questions about the Chicago campus.

Do you know how many applicants are accepted to UMED each year? And do people seem to generally like it?

Oh, Christ, reading these responses brings me back.

UIC has the most satanic notification system. It's designed to ruin weeks of your life with worry.

For those of you who received final decisions post-interview, that's a good sign.
Thanks for this info...I also interviewed in late January. I just received the "Final Decision has been made...2/29/12..."and i'm not sure what to think... :-/

Thanks for this info...I also interviewed in late January. I just received the "Final Decision has been made...2/29/12..."and i'm not sure what to think... :-/

Post 1220

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

I know UIC is H/P/F at least for the 2 preclinical years (and I believe for the clinical
years as well right?), but does UIC keep track of class rank/have internal rankings or give "letters of distinction" to the top 5% of the class or whatever?

+1 i would like to know too

Do you know how many applicants are accepted to UMED each year? And do people seem to generally like it?

Sorry, don't know much about the UMED program. People in it seem to like it. UIC has a pretty strong commitment to community health and underserved populations, from the attendings on down, so there are plenty of role models for people interested in that sort of thing.

Sorry, don't know much about the UMED program. People in it seem to like it. UIC has a pretty strong commitment to community health and underserved populations, from the attendings on down, so there are plenty of role models for people interested in that sort of thing.

Awesome! It really aligns with the work I've already done in public health, so I'm glad to see there is a focus on it. Thanks!

I too have a strong background in public health work.. can anyone comment on whether we can only be part of UMED if we apply before we attend? How are opportunities for doing things that are in UMED at UIC even if you are in regular MD?

M2 @UIC in Umed
1) Yes, you have to apply to UMed before you come to school. We do interviews during 2nd look day.
2) UIC has a ton of opportunities for work in the community/with underserved populations even if you're not in UMed. Being in the program means you have specific requirements with regards to attending seminars, completing a community-based project, and get some elective/research credit for fulfilling these requirements. One thing to note is that the program has evolved quite a bit in the last few years, so M2-M4's you talk to may not have the most up-to-date info.
3) There's a national medical honor society called Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) for the very top students, determined by rank and boards scores. Otherwise, UIC ranks by quartile in Dean's letters for residency by using a good/outstanding/etc system (I can't remember the exact wording). I really like our P/F/H and ranking system because it allows outstanding students to shine, but also means you're not kicking yourself for getting a single question wrong on a test.

Edge - word is going around the Peoria campus (according to a student, they were told this at their M4 orientation) that class rank is determined only by Step1 and shelf exam scores. Not sure if this applies to all campuses. I found it very surprising that pre-clinical grades aren't taken into account at all, except for AOA status. The source is reliable, but I would just sit down with the Dean (for those that matriculate) and ask them directly so you hear it straight from the top, just to be sure. As far as reporting class rank, the quartile system (described in certain code words) that ticktock described is the same thing that I heard in Urbana.

I tried checking my status...but the page won't load. Is this happening to anybody else?

I may be beating a dead horse by posting yet another response to this, but had to comment. I am sorry you had such a negative experience, but I have to say I interviewed in Chicago and absolutely had a wonderful time. Everyone was extremely welcoming and nice, and I have even gone back unannounced and walked into the financial aid office and they were also helpful.

In state tuition is certainly not cheap, but other that SIU none of my options are any cheaper (compared mostly to OOS tuition at Iowa).

Could not be more excited for fall in Chicago and UIC!!

I received my acceptance letter and packet in the mail on Friday. RMED program!

Does anyone know how early the different campuses fill up? Trying to figure out my preferences and don't want to agonizing over it if I don't have a choice anyways.

I tried checking my status...but the page won't load. Is this happening to anybody else?

Mine wont' load either. I'm glad i'm not the only one this is happening to! they must be doing something to the website.

Does anyone know how early the different campuses fill up? Trying to figure out my preferences and don't want to agonizing over it if I don't have a choice anyways.

I know people who've gotten into the Chicago campus in March in previous years, but it's rare. Most of the Chicago slots will be gone at this point. If you don't live in the city or suburbs, I'd say the chances of a Chicago slot at this point are close to zero. That doesn't mean you shouldn't apply for the Chicago track, if that's where you want to go. If you don't get in, you always have the option of petitioning.

If you're agonizing within the UPR track, I wouldn't. Switching from Peoria to Rockford or vice versa is fairly easy late in M1 year.

Can someone tell me what they have heard about Burnham 310 in Urbana Champaign? The building looks very nice from the photos, and all the reviews are bad but the reviews are from 2008. Is it quiet? Is it safe? Is it close to the Medical Sciences building?

Can someone tell me what they have heard about Burnham 310 in Urbana Champaign? The building looks very nice from the photos, and all the reviews are bad but the reviews are from 2008. Is it quiet? Is it safe? Is it close to the Medical Sciences building?

I go to UIUC for undergrad now.
In general avoid PPM, and CPM Realty. I can ask around about Burnham in particular.

Roland and Barr are both good.

I suggest living in Urbana. It is much quieter than Champaign. I would also recommend off campus unless you want to be woken up every weekend by drunk UGs.

I was a late April admit and got a Chicago spot on petition. So it's not impossible to get whatever campus at this point.

I was a late April admit and got a Chicago spot on petition. So it's not impossible to get whatever campus at this point.

Hey VisionaryTics,

I recently got assigned the Urbana campus (my last choice on the site preference card....) and I wanted to submit a petition letter to admissions to see if I could possibly switch over to Chicago. Can you give me any tips on what I should include in the letter? Thank you! :)

Looks amazing from the outside - I used to go past it every day - but I haven't talked to anyone who's lived there. It should be about a 15 minute easy walk from the MSB.

I lived with the University Group, and it could have been worse. Not too many problems overall. The parties in houses nearby were annoying for the first few months, but they seemed to die down after that. I've also heard good things about Roland too, but they were mostly filled up by the time I started looking for a place.

CU's got a good bus system, and students ride free. If anyone thinks that'll make a difference in where they choose to live, you can check out bus routes at cumtd.com. Try not to miss any letters when typing in that URL, as I did one day during an M1 lecture.

A lot of people in my M1 year lived in 1 of the 2 graduate student dorms (Goodwin-Green and Daniels) and they seemed to like it. Good sized 1 bdrs, G-G is right next to the MSB, and you have your own mini-community of med students in the same building. In the year I was there, crime seemed to pick up a bit (I think concerned parents actually scheduled a town meeting with the police chief to discuss all the muggings) so there's something to be said about living across the street from the MSB, if that's a concern.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.