2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, safety is a concern... or do they also have apartments? I was also looking at Busey Court Apartments online and it looks close/nice as well...any feedback on whether or not it is quiet? Good landlord?

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, here are the prices for the 310 Burnham apartments in Champaign:

FLOOR PLAN

PRICE

Studio

$1,127(A)-$1,137(B)

One Bed/One Bath

LEASED OUT

One Bed/Study

$1,377(A)

Two Bed/ Two Bath

$795(floors 2-9)-$825(floors 10-18) per person

Three Bed/Three Bath

$855 per person

Looks like they go for about 1.5 to 2x the going rate at other complexes in the area. There appears to be some nice places a little further out that could be more conducive to studying. I'm in a little bit of a different situation than most, because I have a wife and kids to worry about, so I've been looking a little farther out so it's not so crazy.

How is the public transportation system in Urbana-Champaign? Is it reliable? How about traffic and parking on or near campus?

FLOOR PLAN

PRICE

Studio

$1,127(A)-$1,137(B)

One Bed/One Bath

LEASED OUT

One Bed/Study

$1,377(A)

Two Bed/ Two Bath

Three Bed/Three Bath

$855 per person

Looks like they go for about 1.5 to 2x the going rate at other complexes in the area. There appears to be some nice places a little further out that could be more conducive to studying. I'm in a little bit of a different situation than most, because I have a wife and kids to worry about, so I've been looking a little farther out so it's not so crazy.

How is the public transportation system in Urbana-Champaign? Is it reliable? How about traffic and parking on or near campus?

CUMTD is pretty good. It may run a little late every once in awhile, but it is pretty reliable on the whole.

Parking on campus-- meters can be REALLY hard to find, and pricey, and frequently have 2 hours max. Permit parking is expensive. I'd suggest either pay up for a permit lot so you are not driving around 15-20 minutes looking for a spot, walk/bike or bus.

If you have a family, I'd REALLY suggest not living in central campustown Champaign, near dorms or frat/sororities despite their close proximity to campus. It'll be loud and a lot of parties/drunk college students. Urbana and Savoy seem much more family friendly. Savoy --I don't know about the buses, but it's super close (like 10 minutes down first street). A lot of professors/UIUC employees live there too.

I'm happy to field any questions about Chambana (just keep in mind I'm an undergrad. I know where the medical sciences building is, and pass it everyday but beyond that I don't know where you'll be. Burrill is in the same area, and I know anatomy is taught there...)

Members don't see this ad :)
gramaire, im at uiuc too and i'm thinking-those apartments just south of krannert, theyre like condos above the subway and other little restaurants...i bet those would be perfect for med students but i have no idea who leases them-maybe you do? theyre on South gregory st, between oregon and nevada in urbana

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, safety is a concern... or do they also have apartments? I was also looking at Busey Court Apartments online and it looks close/nice as well...any feedback on whether or not it is quiet? Good landlord?

I haven't heard overwhelmingly negative things towards JSM the landlord, but that may not mean much.

As far as safety on campus, you're fine if you're not stupid. Walking around oblivious to your surroundings/alone/late at night... not great life choices there. I've gone jogging at 2am and been fine (It's very much a college city, and police are typically around at that time since bars let out). I've also walked home from the library late at night. I just don't listen to an iPod and pay attention. (I'm a girl). Recently, there have been much fewer crime alerts I feel. These crimes are mostly locals (I believe, not positive, some was gang activity), and not students.

I feel that it is pretty much the same as anywhere else, personally. If you use common sense, you should be fine.

gramaire, im at uiuc too and i'm thinking-those apartments just south of krannert, theyre like condos above the subway and other little restaurants...i bet those would be perfect for med students but i have no idea who leases them-maybe you do? theyre on South gregory st, between oregon and nevada in urbana

The Nevadan? I've never been inside, but they look really nice. Little pricey though. You can definitely find much much cheaper (I pay ~$400 + utilities, not $700) and live about 3 blocks from this. I think this would be good for single MS.

http://barrrealestate.com/Barr/Residential/PropertyDetails.aspx?u=44

Barr is good- I lived with them last year. I'm with CPM now, and despite their awful reputation they've been fine for my roomies and I.

By the way: For people coming to Champaign-Urbana, I LOVE CU. :love::love::love:

Great restaurants, great shopping, great music/plays/operas/dance shows etc, all at a fraction of Chicago cost. It's also a good location if you have family in St. Louis and Chicago. Please feel free to PM me specific questions (like, Where can I get sushi for $1 a piece? Answer: KoFusion on Sundays and Mondays.)

Also, Carle is an awesome hospital. I've shadowed, volunteered and been employed there. You will definitely get a well rounded experience there. People from all over the area go there. Just be prepared to start saying ya'all (or at least I picked that up there :laugh:)

Thanks for the reply! What does PPM stand for? CPM is Campus Property Management?

FLOOR PLAN

PRICE

Studio

$1,127(A)-$1,137(B)

One Bed/One Bath

LEASED OUT

One Bed/Study

$1,377(A)

Two Bed/ Two Bath

Three Bed/Three Bath

$855 per person

FYI, I have a friend that is working at U of I now with a wife and three kids and he lives in Waters Edge and loves it. He said it's 3 miles from campus but worth the drive.

I know someone that was on the waiting list that got accepted in May last year that got into the Chicago campus, so I would say it's not impossible. She lived in Chicago and is married so I don't know if that was a factor.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, safety is a concern... or do they also have apartments?

Are you asking about the graduate dorms? They're all (at least the ones I've been in) apartment-style 1 bedrooms, definitely not dorm-style. I think the main reason I wished I had lived there was the convenience. Like GraMaire said, safety's not a huge issue if you're just smart about knowing your surroundings.

Finding metered parking close to the MSB isn't a problem at 7-8 in the morning, but in the afternoon it's a nightmare. I'd recommend getting a place close to a convenient CUMTD stop. There's permit lots close to the MSB but I think those fill up early in the year (the UIUC undergrads can correct me on this). Most commuters I know had to park in a lot far away from the MSB and then take a bus to the med building. It's cheaper and more time-effective to just find a place near a good bus stop.

For example, One North/South (not that I'm advocating living there) was further away from campus than my building, but the 22 ran by there every 10 minutes. So getting from the MSB to that apartment and back was much more convenient.

FYI, I have a friend that is working at U of I now with a wife and three kids and he lives in Waters Edge and loves it. He said it's 3 miles from campus but worth the drive.
I was looking at Waters Edge and Windsor West. Renting a house looks like a viable option, but I'm not sure of which areas are nice and which areas to avoid. Anyone have any suggestions for areas in Urbana? It would be nice to have a yard so that I can invite people over to grill out during the copious amount of free time we'll all have.

The Nevadan? I've never been inside, but they look really nice. Little pricey though. You can definitely find much much cheaper (I pay ~$400 + utilities, not $700) and live about 3 blocks from this. I think this would be good for single MS.

http://barrrealestate.com/Barr/Residential/PropertyDetails.aspx?u=44

Barr is good- I lived with them last year. I'm with CPM now, and despite their awful reputation they've been fine for my roomies and I.

By the way: For people coming to Champaign-Urbana, I LOVE CU. :love::love::love:

Great restaurants, great shopping, great music/plays/operas/dance shows etc, all at a fraction of Chicago cost. It's also a good location if you have family in St. Louis and Chicago. Please feel free to PM me specific questions (like, Where can I get sushi for $1 a piece? Answer: KoFusion on Sundays and Mondays.)

Also, Carle is an awesome hospital. I've shadowed, volunteered and been employed there. You will definitely get a well rounded experience there. People from all over the area go there. Just be prepared to start saying ya'all (or at least I picked that up there :laugh:)
Barr looks great!! Do they have studios/efficiencies or 1 bedrooms? The website only references 2 bedrooms....

I was looking at Waters Edge and Windsor West. Renting a house looks like a viable option, but I'm not sure of which areas are nice and which areas to avoid. Anyone have any suggestions for areas in Urbana? It would be nice to have a yard so that I can invite people over to grill out during the copious amount of free time we'll all have.

Feel free to PM me about a specific address or area. Ill check it out for ya. I have a very easy senior year lol

Between like University and Florida for NS and then like Lincoln and Race you should be fine more or less.

Ill second the One North South on Lincoln. My sister lived there during grad school and realllllly liked it. Its nice and convenient to the bus. its definitely bikeable as well. Its about 3 miles off campus Id say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barr looks great!! Do they have studios/efficiencies or 1 bedrooms? The website only references 2 bedrooms....

I lived in a one br studio on Sixth Street with them last year so yes.

It is true! I had the words Additional Correspondance and just received my Acceptance Packet today!

My status was updated to Final Decision made on 2/23/12 Thursday around 2pmCST and I received the packet today 3/1/12 (I live in Chicago).

I interviewed in Peoria and really loved the interviewers. They were very kind and interested in getting to know me and made a very good impression on me. I'm so happy! I cried when I opened the packet.

I also never received the Criminal Background Check (CBC) email so don't worry if you see the Additional Correspondance and don't receive the background check email.
Received the background check email today 3/5/12

Hey VisionaryTics,

I recently got assigned the Urbana campus (my last choice on the site preference card....) and I wanted to submit a petition letter to admissions to see if I could possibly switch over to Chicago. Can you give me any tips on what I should include in the letter? Thank you! :)

I'm posting this for posterity since I field a lot of PMs about this. Not that I don't enjoy giving prospective matriculants my $0.02, but this could be useful for plenty of people.

In mid-May, I sent a brief letter to the admissions office, care of Dr. Girotti, explaining how happy I was to offered an acceptance, but I felt like the Chicago campus would better prepare me for my career goals in terms of 1) research, 2) access to a large academic medical infrastructure, with all of the opportunities entailed. I made a point that I was considering some of the research tracks that we have at the Chicago campus (Craig Fellowship, James Scholar, MD/MS program).

I explicitly stated that I had no personal reasons to be in Chicago.

Good luck. Just explain why the one campus fits your goals and aspirations in a way the others can't. I think mentioning your personal circumstances is reasonable, but I wouldn't make it the focus of your petition. 98% of the incoming class will have to rearrange their personal lives in some fashion, so I personally don't find that to be a compelling reason to transfer campuses. Still, if you have a husband tied down to Chicago, I think that's reasonable to include in your letter.

Has anyone with a decision pending status gotten any update yet? I interviewed mid-January and am anxious to hear some good news! Does anyone know when to expect any change? Do we have to wait until all interviews are done to receive updates?

Do we get site assignments via snail mail too? Or do they do it by email?

This may be a silly question with all that's going on now, but does anyone know when we should expect 'aid' to be determined?

This may be a silly question with all that's going on now, but does anyone know when we should expect 'aid' to be determined?
I remember seeing somewhere that Fin Aid goes out mid to late March.

On the topic of fin aid, do we have to submit any addntl information other than our FAFSA? After submitting do we just wait for them to get back to us?

when do they send II out until? no news from this school seems late to expect an invitation. However that being said received a few late invites elsewhere

when do they send II out until? no news from this school seems late to expect an invitation. However that being said received a few late invites elsewhere

I know they have at least 2 more days at the end of March at the Chicago campus. I'm not sure when the invites go till but I'd say you're still in it.

Has anyone in the RMED program heard anything after sending in their agreements?

Also -- not sure if this has already been covered-- But what's the best place to live for med students in Urbana Champaign?

Has anyone in the RMED program heard anything after sending in their agreements?

Also -- not sure if this has already been covered-- But what's the best place to live for med students in Urbana Champaign?

I sent in my RMED pledge and the acceptance packet at the same time. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Does anyone know if they offer student health insurance the summer between M1 and M2 since we will not be attending classes that summer?

Not sure if we will be accessing any applications or online applications for school, but does anyone know if MAC will work with everything we will need for school or do I need to get a PC?

Mac works fine. Our class is about 40 40 20. Macs pcs tablets. Fwiw, wish i had more than just the ipad

I interviewed on March 9th at the Chicago campus (II was in January). I asked one of the admissions committee when the interviews extend to, and she said that there are some interview dates in April, so I think you still have a chance.

Any current med students in either the U Med program or G Med program? I applied to both, but wasn't sure on the specifics of the interview (is it mandatory?) during second look day.

Any other prospectives apply to these? thoughts?

Any current med students in either the U Med program or G Med program? I applied to both, but wasn't sure on the specifics of the interview (is it mandatory?) during second look day.

I'm applying to U Med, it seems as though that an interview is required during second look day from what I can gather from the program website. Otherwise, I like the look of the vertical curriculum but am still as curious as you in what it's like on the inside.

I'm also applying. The specifics of UMED listed on the website align directly with the work I have been doing in an urban area for the past four years. Also, I'm finishing up my MPH, and it sounds like a great way to use both.

It seems that if more people apply than they have space for, they schedule mandatory interviews during second look day at the end of August. No clue when we find out about that though. I don't even find out about my decision until beginning of April :(

For those that are interested, the massive 21% tuition hike has been withdrawn. Instead, tuition will only go up the usual amount based on inflation. This is a huge deal, and I hope this school can continue to recruit top-notch candidates.

so how much will it be per year then? WOW, this is surprising. Thanks to Spiderpete and everyone else who helped make it happen (I signed your petition, btw) :) :) :)

For those that are interested, the massive 21% tuition hike has been withdrawn. Instead, tuition will only go up the usual amount based on inflation. This is a huge deal, and I hope this school can continue to recruit top-notch candidates.

This is EXCELLENT news! Thanks for sharing!

Does anyone know if they offer student health insurance the summer between M1 and M2 since we will not be attending classes that summer?

I don't have campus care...but check out this website. It should answer your questions. It looks like there is a way to continue coverage for your first (or last) summer :rolleyes:

http://www.uic.edu/hsc/campuscare/summercovquestions/index.html

Wow I've never heard of G Med...is that new this year? I honestly thought it must've been a typo, but I googled it just to check lol. Anyways, I'm in U Med and was one of the interviewers last year. They are usually held during second look day. However, if you are not able to attend be sure to let them know and see if they can work out something for you. The interview is required but very low key...you will likely meet with 2-3 current students in the program. Unless you made up everything in your essays it shouldn't be anything to stress over. :p

Wow I've never heard of G Med...is that new this year? I honestly thought it must've been a typo, but I googled it just to check lol. Anyways, I'm in U Med and was one of the interviewers last year. They are usually held during second look day. However, if you are not able to attend be sure to let them know and see if they can work out something for you. The interview is required but very low key...you will likely meet with 2-3 current students in the program. Unless you made up everything in your essays it shouldn't be anything to stress over. :p

Thanks for your help! How is the competition for UMED, and how many students do they usually take?

I got rejected from this school pre-interview in mid December. I am in state applicant and I did my undergrade at UIC (4.00 GPA, MCAT >32, two-semester research project, pharmacy technician for 4 years, other job experienecs, volunteering and shadowing). Luckily, I got acceptances from SIU, Loyola, and Rush.

I was very suprised that I did not even get a chance to interview. When I spoke to admissions counselor to get feedback it sounded like: this look good, this is ok,...........blah blah...... uhmmm uhmmmm uuuhmmmm i guuuuuuuuess because u did not have enough volunteering (I volunteered for 8 months with over 200 hours). Is it because I am an European immigrant (white/Caucasian)??? Really I dont know what else to think given that UIC interviews 1/3 of in-state applicants and I think I was not a weak candidate.

I got rejected from this school pre-interview in mid December. I am in state applicant and I did my undergrade at UIC (4.00 GPA, MCAT >32, two-semester research project, pharmacy technician for 4 years, other job experienecs, volunteering and shadowing). Luckily, I got acceptances from SIU, Loyola, and Rush.

I was very suprised that I did not even get a chance to interview. When I spoke to admissions counselor to get feedback it sounded like: this look good, this is ok,...........blah blah...... uhmmm uhmmmm uuuhmmmm i guuuuuuuuess because u did not have enough volunteering (I volunteered for 8 months with over 200 hours). Is it because I am an European immigrant (white/Caucasian)??? Really I dont know what else to think given that UIC interviews 1/3 of in-state applicants and I think I was not a weak candidate.
The acceptance process is a fickle beast. Could be any number of things. Maybe they already had their quota of UIC students? Maybe they didn't like your essays? Maybe you didn't fit into one of the categories of people they were looking for? Who knows?

Just be happy that you are in the group of 1 in 3 people who applied this cycle that will be matriculating somewhere. There's 30,000 people out there that applied to medical school and didn't get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.