2011-2012 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that are interested, the massive 21% tuition hike has been withdrawn. Instead, tuition will only go up the usual amount based on inflation. This is a huge deal, and I hope this school can continue to recruit top-notch candidates.

oh glory hallelujah, praise the baby jesus.

seriously though, that's incredible news. does that mean accepted students will soon receive an amended email to the one sent out 2/26? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I got rejected from this school pre-interview in mid December. I am in state applicant and I did my undergrade at UIC (4.00 GPA, MCAT >32, two-semester research project, pharmacy technician for 4 years, other job experienecs, volunteering and shadowing). Luckily, I got acceptances from SIU, Loyola, and Rush.

I was very suprised that I did not even get a chance to interview. When I spoke to admissions counselor to get feedback it sounded like: this look good, this is ok,...........blah blah...... uhmmm uhmmmm uuuhmmmm i guuuuuuuuess because u did not have enough volunteering (I volunteered for 8 months with over 200 hours). Is it because I am an European immigrant (white/Caucasian)??? Really I dont know what else to think given that UIC interviews 1/3 of in-state applicants and I think I was not a weak candidate.

I really wouldn't worry about it. You never really know what the committees are looking for. Plus, you have some awesome acceptance which you should be thankful for. Take those and run! Congratulations :)

oh glory hallelujah, praise the baby jesus.

seriously though, that's incredible news. does that mean accepted students will soon receive an amended email to the one sent out 2/26? :xf:

I wonder what this will mean for the quality of education over the next several years. Obviously the school was feeling budget pressure from the state's funding cuts, which is why they increased the tuition in the first place-- now, those cuts will have to be accounted for in something other way.

I'm interested to hear what the administration has to say about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have campus care...but check out this website. It should answer your questions. It looks like there is a way to continue coverage for your first (or last) summer :rolleyes:

http://www.uic.edu/hsc/campuscare/summercovquestions/index.html

Wow I've never heard of G Med...is that new this year? I honestly thought it must've been a typo, but I googled it just to check lol. Anyways, I'm in U Med and was one of the interviewers last year. They are usually held during second look day. However, if you are not able to attend be sure to let them know and see if they can work out something for you. The interview is required but very low key...you will likely meet with 2-3 current students in the program. Unless you made up everything in your essays it shouldn't be anything to stress over. :p
Great!! Thanks!

Today was Match Day for M4s. A while back someone asked for Match Lists for the Peoria campus. Not sure if anyone ever answered them, but here are Peoria's Matches dating back to 2002:

http://peoria.medicine.uic.edu/student_services/residency_assignments/

Here's Rockford's Match List for 2012 for anyone interested. I'd say that definitely doesn't fit the popular perception that Rockford is almost entirely primary care. They got their students into some great surgical specialties:

http://rockford.medicine.uic.edu/UserFiles/Servers/Server_442934/File/2012%20Match%20Day%20Results-Rockford.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they vote on those who interviewed in February this Thursday....

I wonder if they vote on those who interviewed in February this Thursday....

It should be this Thursday. Good Luck!!

Let me know if your status changes. I know I will be watching mine like a hawk.

Will do. Good luck to you too!! :xf: :luck:

It looks like both of you are IS , so you both have a fantastic chance of getting in post-interview. I think mine changed on a Thursday evening (I posted on student doc as it happened, so you can find the exact time) if that helps at all. Good luck guys!

Today was Match Day for M4s. A while back someone asked for Match Lists for the Peoria campus. Not sure if anyone ever answered them, but here are Peoria's Matches dating back to 2002:

http://peoria.medicine.uic.edu/student_services/residency_assignments/

Here's Rockford's Match List for 2012 for anyone interested. I'd say that definitely doesn't fit the popular perception that Rockford is almost entirely primary care. They got their students into some great surgical specialties:

http://rockford.medicine.uic.edu/Us...2934/File/2012 Match Day Results-Rockford.pdf

Thanks Snoopy! I was looking for this for some time now.

Can you comment on why one person under the 'Transitional/Preliminary' section did not match into a specialty. Everyone else in that section matched in either Anesth, Ophth, Rads, or Uro. Will this person have to re-enter the match next year? thanks

Thanks Snoopy! I was looking for this for some time now.

Can you comment on why one person under the 'Transitional/Preliminary' section did not match into a specialty. Everyone else in that section matched in either Anesth, Ophth, Rads, or Uro. Will this person have to re-enter the match next year? thanks
If what you are saying is true, I didn't look at the lists, then yea, that person will have to interview for a pgy2 spot

It looks like both of you are IS , so you both have a fantastic chance of getting in post-interview. I think mine changed on a Thursday evening (I posted on student doc as it happened, so you can find the exact time) if that helps at all. Good luck guys!

Ahhhh super nervous!!! :scared:

I got rejected from this school pre-interview in mid December. I am in state applicant and I did my undergrade at UIC (4.00 GPA, MCAT >32, two-semester research project, pharmacy technician for 4 years, other job experienecs, volunteering and shadowing). Luckily, I got acceptances from SIU, Loyola, and Rush.

I was very suprised that I did not even get a chance to interview. When I spoke to admissions counselor to get feedback it sounded like: this look good, this is ok,...........blah blah...... uhmmm uhmmmm uuuhmmmm i guuuuuuuuess because u did not have enough volunteering (I volunteered for 8 months with over 200 hours). Is it because I am an European immigrant (white/Caucasian)??? Really I dont know what else to think given that UIC interviews 1/3 of in-state applicants and I think I was not a weak candidate.

I got rejected at the same time, albeit with much lower stats (3.6, 33). Mine was understandable; yours is just absurd.

I was looking at Waters Edge and Windsor West. Renting a house looks like a viable option, but I'm not sure of which areas are nice and which areas to avoid. Anyone have any suggestions for areas in Urbana? It would be nice to have a yard so that I can invite people over to grill out during the copious amount of free time we'll all have.

Well pretty much anything with a yard that is technically "on" or really close to campus are all in Urbana East of Lincoln Avenue. All the houses close to the Med Sciences building that are in Champaign are either Frat senior houses, or right near them so they likely would not be very quiet. Also, the crime in Urbana is a lot less frequent. Unfortunately though, most of those houses are meant for a bunch of people so you'd have to potentially look for roommates for them, and they are not exactly close to the bars on Green street. A great resource to use for students to find places is the tenant union http://www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/ And a word of advice, stay away from CPM. I with them now and they're very difficult, always charge our rent as late when it isn't (they correct it but it's a pain always calling to complain), and take forever to fix things because all of their buildings are run down. Let me know if you have questions about building locations/quality or anything like that!

Anyone Accepted to UIC out of state thats planning on attending? The out of state tuition is Absurd, (70K) and then they add the extra 20K for m3 and m4 summers. I love this school and the city. Admitedly im holding my seat and holding out hope that somehow i'd be able to afford it, would love to hear someone out of state thats planning or attending or is currently attending's perspective. (are you getting help with the tuition from family?)

I got rejected at the same time, albeit with much lower stats (3.6, 33). Mine was understandable; yours is just absurd.

Yeah that's how I felt... Now, I am very happy with the acceptances that I got and I am not loking back. The reason that I posted that is to show that you dont get interview at UIC just based on your MCAT and GPA (this ideas showed up in the threads for many years). Good luck!

Hasn't the meeting been on the last Thursday of the month since the past two months? That's why I was expecting it to be a week from tomorrow...I'm so nervous!!

Hasn't the meeting been on the last Thursday of the month since the past two months? That's why I was expecting it to be a week from tomorrow...I'm so nervous!!

I think the third Thursday of the month was the general consensus.

If what you are saying is true, I didn't look at the lists, then yea, that person will have to interview for a pgy2 spot

Is this common? And how difficult is it to match for a PGY-2 spot?

Still decision pending, since Dec 8th. Desperation is palpable. I know I shouldn't worry about things I can not control but... man is this tough

Last year the status change happend on 3/28...the last Monday of the month :(

Anyone Accepted to UIC out of state thats planning on attending? The out of state tuition is Absurd, (70K) and then they add the extra 20K for m3 and m4 summers. I love this school and the city. Admitedly im holding my seat and holding out hope that somehow i'd be able to afford it, would love to hear someone out of state thats planning or attending or is currently attending's perspective. (are you getting help with the tuition from family?)

I would also like to know if any OOS are planning on attending. I haven't received my financial aid package yet, but not really holding my breath for anything spectacular... any current OOS med students want to share experience/advice?

I would also like to know if any OOS are planning on attending. I haven't received my financial aid package yet, but not really holding my breath for anything spectacular... any current OOS med students want to share experience/advice?
I've been accepted as an OOS student as well. Like you, I am hoping for a little mercy as well (especially since I have 3 dependents). The cost of attendance is one of the major reasons I didn't even consider the Chicago campus, because I know that monthly rent would be about $1K more a month for me than the other campuses on top of the ridiculous tuition. I try to keep the OOS tuition in perspective. What's another $150K on top of an already gargantuan amount of money...

After reviewing the requirements for in-state tuition I found an interesting loophole: Staff members of the University and of allied agencies, and faculties of state-assisted Illinois universities, holding an appointment of at least one-quarter time, and their spouses and dependent children, shall be treated as residents. So it sounds like if you or your spouse get a job at the university while you're in school, you can get IS tuition. Not sure if that helps anyone...

Thanks Ahutni for the link to that housing site. That looks like a great resource. Also thanks Snoopy for posting this years match lists for Rockford and Peoria.

Hi everyone! I'm from Michigan and will be interviewing at the Chicago campus on April 9. I was wondering if anyone had hotel suggestions near campus. I'd like to make my interview morning as stress-free as possible, so the closer the better.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I'm from Michigan and will be interviewing at the Chicago campus on April 9. I was wondering if anyone had hotel suggestions near campus. I'd like to make my interview morning as stress-free as possible, so the closer the better.

Thanks in advance!

The Holiday Inn on Harrison and Canal is just a few blocks away from East campus. You can take the #7 bus or a cab to Polk St.

I would stay away from the New Jackson Hotel. I think it's a crack house...

**The Marriot on the corner of Ashland and Harrison is another good option. You can just walk to your interview.

Thanks in advance!

I stayed at the holiday Inn that macsta mentioned. It was a great option for the interview. Ordered a cab through the hotel to get to the school (less than a 5 minute cab ride), and took the bus back to the hotel after. Also was able to take the train from OHare to the hotel and vice versa, since the hotel is right off one of the stops. This can save you some money if your budget is tight. The hotel room was great. Nothing spectacular, but clean and practical with all the basics that you will need. Nice casual restaurant on the first floor is also a good option if you want to stay in. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Anxiously wondering if today is the day for status changes. :xf: :luck: for everyone!

I just received an email from Dean Azar that stated that the M1 tuition rate for Fall 2012/Spring 2013 will be $34,000. Good news, however, it also states that this isn't a flat four year rate and that the board of trustees reserve the right to change that.

Regardless, pretty good stuff.

For those that applied to the Urban or Global Medicine Program, have you heard about an interview yet or any further information?

Anyone know whom an appeal letter for site placement should be addressed to? I can't find it in the letter that was sent to me about my placement.

Also, I know this has been discussed. But I'm thinking about discussing research opportunities and specialty availability as my reasons for appealing, not family reasons (I was assigned Rockford- I don't feel like I would get the same exposure to research as I could in Chicago). Do you think it would be sufficient, or should I include more genuine reasons?

Anyone know whom an appeal letter for site placement should be addressed to? I can't find it in the letter that was sent to me about my placement.

Also, I know this has been discussed. But I'm thinking about discussing research opportunities and specialty availability as my reasons for appealing, not family reasons (I was assigned Rockford- I don't feel like I would get the same exposure to research as I could in Chicago). Do you think it would be sufficient, or should I include more genuine reasons?

Hey, I see that you have some other solid acceptances. I was told by the admissions office that they will not look at the letter until May 15th. Unless you are willing to spend your time at Rockford I wouldn't risk UIC. I love UIC, but I just can't imagine risking your other acceptances. I would send it, but be advised that they probably would not tell you until May 16-18. The lady in the office also said that it is need based. I'm not sure what she meant by that, but it seems to mean that they are looking for people who truly need to be in Chicago. I think research is a great reason as Rockford doesn't have very much, but if someone has a greater need you could be shoved to the back. If you make the gamble, I wouldn't take it lightly.

Did the adcom meet this month..? Did anyone get a status change?

Nothing yet. They are probably meeting this Thursday.

Sigh...guess it'll be the 5th Thursday instead. So anxioussss.

Status
Not open for further replies.