2011-2012 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yup, looks like I won't be going to Maryland, although after how bad one of my interviews was I shouldn't be surprised -- the dude talked about himself for 35 minutes and didn't really ask me any questions.

Thanks for posting. Did they mention top/middle/bottom placements?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for posting. Did they mention top/middle/bottom placements?

They say top half or bottom half out of 240, so if you're bottom half there are at least 120 people ahead of you, and they also say they anticipate little movement.
 
Does anyone know how financial aid awards are determined? I got ALL loans, even though I'm pretty sure I should have qualified for need-based aid, and the reason they are giving is that I didn't apply by March 1st (a deadline I had no idea about until I randomly checked their website one day). Shouldn't they have at least send out a reminder email or something about this deadline?

Also, any chance of getting aid later on in the summer after people start withdrawing?
 
They sent me the same letter... Said I was in the top half. Wish they would give us a better idea. What baffles me is why they have 240 people on the waitlist. Its an absurdly high number.

Still hoping they accept me though! :xf:
 
Did anyone notice the file name text in the bottom right hand corner of the letter? Did everyone's say "w11" (EDIT: mistyped originally) at the end?
 
Last edited:
No, not the same - interesting if our placement on the WL was so blatent....nice pick up (all speculation of course)
 
Anyone going here? I made my decision a few weeks ago. Even though cost is going to be crazy first year, I'm hoping I can nail in state tuition for 2-4.

Shoot me a PM if you anyone is going to be at UMD in the fall!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any OOS admitted students have info on getting in-state tuition after the first year or two?
(I am 29 and have been financially independent from my parents since graduating from college... lived in DC for 3 years, then to Seattle for grad school, then to Atlanta for a fellowship, so... no real "establishing of residency" for non-educational reasons since DC. Will change my voting and license to MD for sure because I have no ties to Georgia.)
 
Does anyone have any information on switching from IS to OOS tuition? And what that entails?
 
From what I remember from my interview day, you have to do all the normal stuff (change license & voter registration, be financially independent, etc.) but that's still not a guarantee that you'll be able to change your residency. One current student said they tried and were unable to be switched to IS tuition, and another said that they were only successful because they were married and had a spouse who worked full-time in MD.
 
I just got switched to in state from out of state, I had to get a driver's license, file taxes, had part time jobs here, and lived here...it only probably worked because I am currently going undergrad in Maryland (Hopkins)...but it's doable if you have all of those things above + voter registration, car registration, etc for at least a year.
 
Isn't the 15th the deadline for accepted applicants to pick one school and tell the others that they won't be coming? I thought as soon as that happens there would be some movement on the wait list. Anyone know anything about that?
 
Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement at all? Based on last years thread, it looks like there was a tiny bit of movement right after the May 15th deadline and then some more in June. Curious to know if anyone has heard anything.
 
Gosh, I really am hoping to hear something from Maryland! The "update" in June, I suspect is to let us know if they do not anticipate any movement?
 
Has anyone received an update email yet??

When I asked admissions the person seemed very confused about what I was referring to. In the past it looks like they updated us on how many people had been pulled and how many more they expected to be pulled. When I said that the person told me that they don't tell us that info....anyone else get a different response? ??
 
Last time I called with a question about the waitlist, whomever it was that I spoke with was really impatient. I've been too scared to call back!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably. Anyway, I would consider this mid-June so I think that email should be coming any day now. We will see what kind of information it contains.

Has anyone heard of anyone at all getting in off of the waitlist?
 
The latest I heard was in early June that the class was still oversubscribed by several people and that there had been no waitlist movement - not looking very positive for us UMD hopefuls - however, It is understandable that those accepted are choosing to go to UMD, I certainty would.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.