2011-2012 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to give advice without knowing the situation, but I would suggest not making excuses for mistakes. I would explain the situation and tell them what you LEARNED from those mistakes and what you have done to ensure your mistakes are not repeated.

Thanks. I am referring to a pretty bad freshman year, but my grades picked up significantly from sophomore year onwards (my gpa would be a 3.98 if it wasn't for freshman year)

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed today, and it was a very good experience. The day starts with a brief presentation from Dr. Baker. Interviewees are divided into three groups; one interviewing at 9:00, one at 10:00, and one at 11:00. When you are not interviewing, you are being shown the modules and D2L or you are touring the simulation center. You will generally have 3 interviewers, and one is often a 4th year med student. My interviewers asked mostly about my extracurricular activities, with just one question regarding issues in healthcare. You'll hear it a thousand times, and it really is true: They're just trying to get to know you. So relax, be honest, and show them why you deserve to be there. Good luck!

I interviewed today, and it was a very good experience. The day starts with a brief presentation from Dr. Baker. Interviewees are divided into three groups; one interviewing at 9:00, one at 10:00, and one at 11:00. When you are not interviewing, you are being shown the modules and D2L or you are touring the simulation center. You will generally have 3 interviewers, and one is often a 4th year med student. My interviewers asked mostly about my extracurricular activities, with just one question regarding issues in healthcare. You'll hear it a thousand times, and it really is true: They're just trying to get to know you. So relax, be honest, and show them why you deserve to be there. Good luck!

I also interviewed today, and it was such a good experience! The student hosts are more than willing to answer any questions you have, and my interviewers were wonderful. I second the above--they want you to feel absolutely as comfortable as possible and to show you that you really are a good fit. I didn't have any questions about ethics or health policy, but almost everyone I talked to did. So be prepared, but don't stress out too much! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
my cumulative GPA is 3.68 and MCAT is 28. Have not gotten interview invite. was I dismissed/overlooked?

If you are in state I would almost guarantee you will interview

OU interview yesterday was great! I loved the campus and the students and staff were amazingly kind. I look forward to going to the second look and learning more about OU. Boomer Sooner!

Is anyone else stalking the mailman yet?
I am.. So I called the admissions office today about decisions from the 10/16 interviews and they said letters will be mailed out this week.

@MrLahey

Hey, I also applied that day, did they send you a letter already?

Anyone get anything in the mail yet? My dad called me today and said a big, red envelope from OU came in, but he didn't want to open it for me. And I just interviewed last Thursday, so I'm really not wanting to get my hopes up. Anybody?

Acceptance letters are in fact out. I got a call from home about a big red envelope too, so I drove home to open it and it was an acceptance! Hopefully that's a good sign for you too Qrious because I interviewed last Wednesday on the 26th. Good luck all!

Acceptance letters are in fact out. I got a call from home about a big red envelope too, so I drove home to open it and it was an acceptance! Hopefully that's a good sign for you too Qrious because I interviewed last Wednesday on the 26th. Good luck all!

Congrats, cocacolas! I hope you're right! :D Can't wait!

I'm so glad they got them out early!

Anyone get anything in the mail yet? My dad called me today and said a big, red envelope from OU came in, but he didn't want to open it for me. And I just interviewed last Thursday, so I'm really not wanting to get my hopes up. Anybody?

I interviewed on Thursday too, but my letter's being sent to the 918. Are you from the OKC area? Because I'm hoping that the delay is due to the extra travel time/my mom not being home from work to give me the news :xf: :)

Grr, I'm stuck at work until 9. I shouldn't have visited the forums today so that I could have remained blissfully ignorant :p

I interviewed on Thursday too, but my letter's being sent to the 918. Are you from the OKC area? Because I'm hoping that the delay is due to the extra travel time/my mom not being home from work to give me the news :xf: :)

Accepted!

And yes, OKC area! Good luck! Hopefully you get yours soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!!

BRE in the mail!!
Interviewed 10/26
4.00/31

Got a big red envelope in the mail!

Interviewed 10/27
3.86/32

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Accepted!
Out of State!

Does anyone know where to find the Match list for OU?

Accepted!

And yes, OKC area! Good luck! Hopefully you get yours soon!

Thank you!!!! All that luck must have worked, because my mom just called me and said I had a BRE waiting on my kitchen table! I am so excited!!!!! :soexcited:

Interviewed 10/27
29R, 3.68 GPA
In-state, OU student

Good luck to everyone else, especially you November interviewees!!! :luck::xf::luck:

I found the Big Red Envelope this evening! Accepted. I interviewed on October 26. Congrats to all.

Has anyone with a Nov. interview heard from the SCM?

Your SCM interview will be in the afternoon of your interview day. I think it says this in one of the interview emails.

Congrats on all the acceptances!!

Just out of curiosity, how many people interviewed on the same day that you did? I'm interviewing on the 17th and I want to get a feel of how many seats for the class of 2016 may be left by that time.

Congrats on all the acceptances!!

Just out of curiosity, how many people interviewed on the same day that you did? I'm interviewing on the 17th and I want to get a feel of how many seats for the class of 2016 may be left by that time.

OU typically interviews a group of 30 students on each interview day.

If I'm interviewing on November 13th (I believe the first day of November interviews), should I expect to be automatically admitted or have all of those initial spots already been filled?

Any October acceptees have Masters degree/significant work experience? I have Masters and have worked for ~4 years post undergrad. I keep telling myself to calm down, but it's hard not to be nervous.

Overall GPA (undergrad & grad) 3.82
MCAT 31

Also, does anyone know when November interviewees will find out about acceptance?

If I'm interviewing on November 13th (I believe the first day of November interviews), should I expect to be automatically admitted or have all of those initial spots already been filled?

Any October acceptees have Masters degree/significant work experience? I have Masters and have worked for ~4 years post undergrad. I keep telling myself to calm down, but it's hard not to be nervous.

MCAT 31

Also, does anyone know when November interviewees will find out about acceptance?

There is no such thing as guaranteed admission, but from what I have heard from members of the admission board, they usually fill 120ish of the 165ish spots from the October and November interviews. So you are as close to guaranteed acceptance as you can get.

MCAT 31

Interviewing in October or November always puts you in good standing as an applicant, so don't be nervous. Most people find our interview day to be a really enjoyable experience all in all.

Just be well prepared for your interview. Know your strengths and weaknesses, go in with a good balance of confidence and humility, and you will have a great shot.:thumbup:

The mistake some applicants make with early-round interviews is that they view the admissions process mostly in terms of statistics and available seats. Don't do this! The interview really is focused on the individual! They're not just making it up; they really do want to get to know you as a person!

So I guess what I'm saying is (and this probably self-explanatory), although your good grades and MCAT are very important and have gotten you this far, view the interview as your opportunity to show who you are, why you belong in the class, and that you can interact effectively- even in a stressful situation like an interview ;).

Good luck, guys. You'll all do great!

Accepted! Interviewed on 10/16. I was accepted into both tracks and can't decide if I really want to do the community health track. I generally want to focus on public and community health but as an OS applicant I am worried about moving midway through to Tulsa. I need to decide and send in the forms within a day or two. Does anyone have any input about the pros and cons of the community health track or debating the same thing? Thanks so much, any feedback at all would be great!

Does anyone have any input about the pros and cons of the community health track or debating the same thing?

Also, could someone who interviewed for the OUSCM discuss how that interview may have differed from the other?

Thanks!

hi this is my first post so i'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I have a quick question. I have an interview offer for nov. 17th, but based on my stats I don't know if they are good enough. I have 3.77 GPA and only a 26 MCAT. may I ask realistically what are my chances of getting accepted? And for current OU med students, are there organizations on campus that go oversea to developing countries? I'm really interested in it, but I could not find any info on the OUHSC website. Thank you so much

hi this is my first post so i'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I have a quick question. I have an interview offer for nov. 17th, but based on my stats I don't know if they are good enough. I have 3.77 GPA and only a 26 MCAT. may I ask realistically what are my chances of getting accepted? And for current OU med students, are there organizations on campus that go oversea to developing countries? I'm really interested in it, but I could not find any info on the OUHSC website. Thank you so much

Go to last year's application thread. There was someone with a 25 who got accepted, but it was pretty late in the cycle. It also depends on how your interview goes. But you already have an interview, so I'm guessing that's a good first step.

In our tour, the students talked about a couple of interest groups that went overseas for the summer--last year was Africa and Peru; the year before that, there was a big trip to Vietnam. So to answer your second question, yes.

Last edited:

There are students with lower stats than yours. And like the other poster said, there are medical mission trips coordinated over the summer.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm worried because my cousin had a 26 also, and she took two tries to get into OU med. I applied last year and did not get an interview, am I considered a reapplicant, or do you have to have an interview before being considered as one?

You are a reapplicant. Are you in state or out of state? If you are in state, I find it really odd you didn't interview with those numbers. Usually if you have above a 3.5 and 24 and are in state you get an interview.

You are a reapplicant. Are you in state or out of state? If you are in state, I find it really odd you didn't interview with those numbers. Usually if you have above a 3.5 and 24 and are in state you get an interview.

I am in state. Last year I had a 3.8 GPA and a 25 when i applied. I applied fairly early too, but I did not receive any interview invite. My science GPA is only a 3.67 though. Does it need to be above 3.7 to be considered a good applicant?

I am in state. Last year I had a 3.8 GPA and a 25 when i applied. I applied fairly early too, but I did not receive any interview invite. My science GPA is only a 3.67 though. Does it need to be above 3.7 to be considered a good applicant?

Have you done a lot of volunteering and shadowing? I would have thought you would have gotten an interview with a 3.8 and a 25. Or did you score below a 7 on any section of the MCAT?

Have you done a lot of volunteering and shadowing? I would have thought you would have gotten an interview with a 3.8 and a 25. Or did you score below a 7 on any section of the MCAT?

Yes I have 600 plus hours of volunteering and I have been shadowing for a while now. I got a bad score on verbal last time I took it, so I'm guessing that is why. I did something stupid on my application though, I totally forgot to put in my hours and experiences on AMCAS. I emailed Dotty and sent in my resume that contain all my extracurricular activities. That is fine right?

Yes I have 600 plus hours of volunteering and I have been shadowing for a while now. I got a bad score on verbal last time I took it, so I'm guessing that is why. I did something stupid on my application though, I totally forgot to put in my hours and experiences on AMCAS. I emailed Dotty and sent in my resume that contain all my extracurricular activities. That is fine right?

That may be your problem. I actually did the exact same thing and I set the record straight in the interview but it seemed as if the information really didn't get passed along. I ended up getting in but I was waitlisted first. When I went to the reapplicant workshop (where they discuss your interview/application). The facilitator didn't get the information either. It was as if it wasn't on the primary app they didn't care. I ended up coming off the waitlist fairly early and made for a very stressful time. GL

That may be your problem. I actually did the exact same thing and I set the record straight in the interview but it seemed as if the information really didn't get passed along. I ended up getting in but I was waitlisted first. When I went to the reapplicant workshop (where they discuss your interview/application). The facilitator didn't get the information either. It was as if it wasn't on the primary app they didn't care. I ended up coming off the waitlist fairly early and made for a very stressful time. GL

So you said even if I emailed my extracurricular activities to Dotty and have her put it in my application file, that still won't matter?

So you said even if I emailed my extracurricular activities to Dotty and have her put it in my application file, that still won't matter?

I'm telling you the impression I got when I made a similar mistake. From my experience at OU, your numbers are good enough to get an interview. They are a little low for early acceptance. If you don't interview I would definitely assume that played a part.

When you applied last year and didnt get an interview, did you make the same mistake?

I'm telling you the impression I got when I made a similar mistake. From my experience at OU, your numbers are good enough to get an interview. They are a little low for early acceptance. If you don't interview I would definitely assume that played a part.

When you applied last year and didnt get an interview, did you make the same mistake?

No last year I had everything on my application. I was just stupid and rushed it this year. I emailed Dotty and she said all I could do is hope that the interview committee look at the files that I sent in. Can anyone send me some examples of ethical questions so I can be prepared for them? thank you so much.

I was asked how I felt about the recent changes in recommendations regarding preventative tests, such as pushing back the recommended age for mammograms and discouraging breast and testes self-exams. My opinion was different from that of my interviewer (she asked the question in a very loaded way), but I supported my opinion, and they seemed to respond well.

Weren't there interviews today? How did it go for everyone? Any tough questions?

Weren't there interviews today? How did it go for everyone? Any tough questions?

I had my interview yesterday and it was a great success. I had two doctors and one MS IV in my interview room. It was VERY laidback and informal. I left the interview feeling very good and very secure. Numerous times the interview panel told me I was a strong candidate and my application was stellar, so perhaps I really lucked out! To the best of my recollection, these are the questions that were asked:
1. Tell us how you got here today; what has led you to applying to medical school?
2. What failures have you had?
3. How can organizations like the AMA help physicians bind together to lobby for change (in relation to health care reform)?
4. Why do you want to be a pediatrician? Are you open to the idea that you might change your mind during med school?
5. How will you manage your time in med school? How will you pay for it? What are your social supports?
6. They wanted to know a lot about my previous work experience. I have a Masters degree, so they wanted to know why I didn't go straight from undergrad to medical school.

The hardest question was "I see you only took the MCAT once? Why didn't you take it again?" The answer was I scored a 31 and felt like that was a competitive score....but they seemed to want me to say that I should have taken it again just to try to get an even better score. That was the only question that threw me off.

How did everyone else do? Can't wait for 2-3 weeks to pass to get their decision in the mail!

Congrats to everyone accepted. I was wondering if people received complete e-mails when their application was finalized? I submitted my secondary a little over two months ago and have yet to hear anything from OU yet.

Congrats to everyone accepted. I was wondering if people received complete e-mails when their application was finalized? I submitted my secondary a little over two months ago and have yet to hear anything from OU yet.

I called them as soon as I got my new MCAT score. And then I got my interview invite a few days later. I don't remember getting a complete email.

My situation seems a little different than others, but I will share it anyway. I was planning my wedding at the same time as applying to med school, so I submitted to AMCAS on Sept 27th, verified by AMCAS around October 10th. As soon as I submitted to AMCAS, I received email from OU with secondary, which I immediately sent back in. Received email offer for interview on November 2nd and interviewed on November 13th. Stats: IS, 31, 3.84, I have Masters.

I will say....Dotty is very FRIENDLY. You can email her directly at [email protected] to check on your status. I did that twice during the 6 week window (to see if my LOR were ok because they were not from 3 faculty due to being out of school for awhile) and she was very kind and responded quickly. Don't be afraid to touchbase with her. :)

One of my friends that interviewed today told me that OU has finished with their rolling admission. Can someone clarify what this means to those that are interviewing at later dates? Does that mean the best chance that we have right now is to be 'deferred'? My interview is tomorrow, but after hearing this it's kinda brought me down a little. I thought November interviews are still considered early?

Status
Not open for further replies.