2011-2012 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Own question answered!!! Just got an acceptance! YES! I'm totally over the moon.
:love::love::love::love:

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Own question answered!!! Just got an acceptance! YES! I'm totally over the moon.
:love::love::love::love:

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congrats!

Did it come via mail? Email? Carrier pigeon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! :-D 6:06pm via email
Interviewed 9/16

Good luck everyone! Hope to see there!

Accepted as well!
Around 6:00 PM, interviewed on 9/23!

Got in! Interviewed late September.

Congrats to all those who got an acceptance. Hope to see yall next fall!

Accepted around 6 yesterday!

What's up fellow classmates? Long time lurker, first post. Wanted to make an account so I can meet fellow classmates and contriboot to this thread!

So since we have quite a bit of time to kill until class starts, and since it looks like there are a few people who are accepted and this is their top choice, I went ahead and made a FB group for our class. If anyone wants an invite, PM me your FB profile link and I'll invite you guys! Maybe we can meet each other long before school starts next fall.

Anyone who was interviewed or accepted going to see Paul Farmer this afternoon?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there, but I mostly just went to hear Henri Ford's booming Mufasa voice. (kidding... sort of)

Congrats to those of you that have been accepted! As always, I'm available to answer any questions you might have about the school/areas to live in LA/fun stuff to do/whatever.

Good luck to the rest of you too! Don't forget that it's still super early in the game! :luck:

Would it be reasonable to assume that those of us who interviewed early september but haven't heard back have likely been waitlisted or rejected? :(

I'm not really sure. I know that I interviewed mid September and was accepted October 17th. So as long as they're reviewing files in order, youve probably been reviewed by now. If you weren't accepted, it's impossible to say if you're wait listed or actually rejected. I don't think anyone has been rejected post-interview yet. If you look at numbers though, the odds are decent once you get an interview! So stay positive and patient, if you don't get accepted soon, there's a very real chance of getting in off the wait list!

MS1 here, but yeah I went to see Paul Farmer talk :) It was awesome, especially because the morning talk was focused towards people in the health professions. That guy is amazing!

Also, congratulations on the acceptances everyone! If you need help deciding where to go, don't hesitate to ask admissions for help, to talk to your interview guides or other current students, and of course Daisy and myself here on SDN. I can't speak for Daisy (who is pretty cool, btw) but I am a fairly objective person and I'll answer whatever questions you have, or do my best to find answers from them.

For those who are still waiting for interviews or an acceptance, keep your hopes alive. It's a long cycle and there are many more interview slots and acceptances to be given out! :luck:

Ah...interviewed 9/23 and nothing yet :(

Slowly getting more and more depressed!!!

Ah...interviewed 9/23 and nothing yet :(

Slowly getting more and more depressed!!!

Well theyve only sent out one round of acceptances! That's awfully early in the game to be depressed. Just cuz you missed the first round? Stay positive.

I was interviewed on 9/20. Haven't received anything either. :( Does anyone know if the decisions are sent out on a week by week basis or any day after 10/17?

Well theyve only sent out one round of acceptances! That's awfully early in the game to be depressed. Just cuz you missed the first round? Stay positive.

I know I am trying! I guess I am just not sure how the process works...what does it mean if you get an early interview and hear nothing right away? Will my file sit in the pool? Is that better or worse than interviewing later and sitting in the pool?

Too many questions I apologize!

been complete since 9/23...what's the average wait time for you all?

Any Keck MSTP applications ITT?

complete since July 19th and nothing. one-upped!!!

still hanging on to hope, i guess.

I recently interviewed and the whole experience was really positive (minus LA traffic). Both my interviewers were extremely nice and the interview was really conversational, no "hard questions", but also some I had to think about. I really liked the school, love the pass/fail, love the opportunity to work at LA county, love the support they give their students. The students I met seemed genuinely happy to be there and well-rounded. Only downsides to me are having to have a car, that all the students live spread out around LA, and the pricetag (eek!). Crossing my fingers that I get in!

When should we expect the second round of decisions?

At my interview, we were told that they really wanna fill the class up and not drag the application process out any further than necessary. So I dont think it'll be that long till the second round goes out. But there weren't all that many interviews in sept and Oct, so they may not even have enough people to choose from to send out a second round. I think theyre starting to conduct interviews more frequently now. I would be absolutely shocked if they sent out anything before Tuesday next week. But this is 100% speculation...

MS1 here, but yeah I went to see Paul Farmer talk :) It was awesome, especially because the morning talk was focused towards people in the health professions. That guy is amazing!

I brought my fiancé to the 4 pm lecture. We loved it - he is beyond exceptional. I absolutely recommend his book Pathologies of Power to anyone interested in serving the poor domestically/internationally.

I just interviewed there last Friday. LOVED IT. They are very supportive. There are sooo many resources and opportunities available to you. COUNTY IS AWESOME, and the MDL's are cool too. Please accept me! haha.

The students seemed to be pretty laid back, down to earth, and very helpful. As far as the interview, very conversational. The physician and I started early and we talked for about 1:30 lol. Don't stress about it. As someone else said, they want to finish the app cycle early. If you get an interview you have very good chances, or at least that is the impressions they give you.

Goodluck to everyone!

Rejected today. I've lived in CA for eight years, and the state seems to viciously abhor me, given the string of rejections. Oh well.

Rejected today. I've lived in CA for eight years, and the state seems to viciously abhor me, given the string of rejections. Oh well.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't received any CA love either :(

Was it by email? Also, would you mind posting stats/when you were complete?

Did you interview or just got rejected per interview?

Rejected pre-interview. Complete 9/17. Oh well.

Considering USC is one of my top choices, if not absolute dream school...reading about lxz's rejection and subsequently checking his/her MDApps link was the MOST depressing moment I've had since I heard about the NBA labor dispute.

Considering USC is one of my top choices, if not absolute dream school...reading about lxz's rejection and subsequently checking his/her MDApps link was the MOST depressing moment I've had since I heard about the NBA labor dispute.

Looking at some of the interview invitees' MDApps and the schools average MCAT/GPA should curb those concerns. Lxz wasn't rejected because his stats weren't high enough.

Looking at some of the interview invitees' MDApps and the schools average MCAT/GPA should curb those concerns. Lxz wasn't rejected because his stats weren't high enough.

Pshh. This guy. An optimist.

Man.. I hope to hear from this school soon :(, I've been complete since mid-August. Hoping my application didn't get skipped over.

aw man, why did I look at his mdapps too?lol

is keck receptive to 'in the area' emails? or does this fall under the prohibited status update category?

wish i could interview here :(

Ditto -- it doesn't even take me an hour to get to USC :( Complete since early August.

Placed on the alternate list...does anyone know about movement?? Is this the same thing as a waitlist?

Interviewed 9/23

Waitlisted today. Looks like I'm in good company, though! Good luck to those still waiting.

Did you find out about the waitlist via email or snail mail?

Wat.

But you guys have beastly numbers!

1299867456_the-situation-is-shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.