2011-2012 University of Virginia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid ~$400, which is about what I see now for where I'm coming from. It's definitely not the worst ever, but it's more than I usually pay for round trip airfare.

Members don't see this ad.

Charlottesville is somewhat isolated in this regard - get ready to spend this kind of money when going home for the holidays if you matriculate

Members don't see this ad :)
You could also take the train between DCA or BWI and Charlottesville if cost is an issue.

For those who interviewed already did the admissions office have a place to put luggage during the day?
Thanks

Getting super excited for my interview next week.

I know of at least two bus lines (Greyhound and Home Ride) that run between NOVA and Charlottesville and are very reasonable (~30 dollars round trip?). Both connect to the NoVa/DC metro. Once you are on the metro system getting to Reagan or Dulles is easy and pretty cheap. There are probably buses to Richmond also.

where do you guys have info about second look? i just got my acceptance yesterday... so maybe it's lagging? i couldn't find it in my bunch of papers but i was in such a stupor at getting in that i might've missed it.

also i agree about flying into dc. i know that there's a greyhound bus that brings you to charlottesville. also since it's 2nd look, i'm sure there'll be plenty nova kids (hollaaaaaa) who can drive you down if you ask/comp for gas! :)

They sent out the info about second look in an email a couple weeks ago. :) I'm sure they'll give you the details if you call and ask.

I know of at least two bus lines (Greyhound and Home Ride) that run between NOVA and Charlottesville and are very reasonable (~30 dollars round trip?). Both connect to the NoVa/DC metro. Once you are on the metro system getting to Reagan or Dulles is easy and pretty cheap. There are probably buses to Richmond also.

Pretty sure HomeRide isn't that cheap anymore...~$30 is maybe one-way. Also, Dulles is not yet accessible by Metro, but there's probably a shuttle.

This just sounds like an awful horrible way to travel on a regular/recurring basis, even if it's just a few times a year. 2 trips by different modes of transport JUST to get to an airport and then wait in lots of lines and then fly to wherever home may be? Also, consider how annoying that would be during residency interview season? Omg I'd lose my danggone mind lol

This just sounds like an awful horrible way to travel on a regular/recurring basis, even if it's just a few times a year. 2 trips by different modes of transport JUST to get to an airport and then wait in lots of lines and then fly to wherever home may be? Also, consider how annoying that would be during residency interview season? Omg I'd lose my danggone mind lol

Start racking up those frequent flyer miles then :) (A solid credit history helps with that, too)

Members don't see this ad :)
I use CHO airport (about 10 miles away from the school) quite frequently and I don't find flights from the airport to be too expensive. Sometimes its slightly cheaper than flying from Dulles.

can someone post up the 2nd look information? (or at least when it is)

Should I send an Update/LOI? When do they stop interviewing?

...really should've been more proactive...

i think they're still interviewing. UVA accepts updates, so you should definitely send something along

This is the email I got about second look. It will come, just a few (2?) weeks after you accept

Hello -- I'm writing to let you know about our upcoming Second Look Day, when admitted students are invited back to the University of Virginia School of Medicine, to visit us once again, and get to know us a little better.
We are still in the process of planning the details of the event, but we've scheduled it for Saturday, March 24th, with a welcome reception Friday evening, March 23, so I hope you can hold those dates for us. We'll be in touch soon with confirmed details, but generally speaking, we have panel discussions with current medical students, a discussion about the curriculum and a classroom activity.
Unfortunately, we do not have funds to assist with travel or hotel expenses. Also, because of space constraints, we are not able to accommodate friends or family at this event.

To what email address should update letters be sent?

Hi,

I was wondering if UVA shows a strong preference for instate applicants. I saw the class was like 50/50 but I was wondering do you think out of state applicants definitely need above the median if they want to apply? Thanks for any input.

I was wondering if UVA shows a strong preference for instate applicants. I saw the class was like 50/50 but I was wondering do you think out of state applicants definitely need above the median if they want to apply? Thanks for any input.

Statistically, probably. More OOS applicants than IS applicants apply, so you're more likely to get accepted if you're IS.

However, UVA does a fabulous job at looking at your entire application. Your numbers should be good, but I don't think they necessarily have to be above the median for you to have a shot at acceptance. You just need something else on your application that will make them sit up and take notice.

Hi everyone! I interviewed last week, and just found out I got in! I'm ECSTATIC and pretty sure I'm going here... I'm wondering if there is a "UVA Med Class of 2016" group anywhere? I browsed facebook and SDN, but couldn't find any.

UVA is soooo efficient. They review every all interviewees the next day and make their decision. You get the letter THAT day.
i wish all the schools were so efficient.

UVA is soooo efficient. They review every all interviewees the next day and make their decision. You get the letter THAT day.
i wish all the schools were so efficient.
Almost. They review everyone that week on Friday (so I guess you interviewed on Thursday).

I interviewed on the Thursday of the first week of interviews. I knew that a decision had been made the next day, and it was torture having to wait 1.5 months to hear what it was. But yeah, their efficiency is awesome and very appreciated.

Hey, this is kind of a silly question, but I'm hoping it will save me a few seconds of terror at the mailbox. Does the acceptance letter arrive as a big envelope, and the rejection/waitlist a small envelope?

Hey, this is kind of a silly question, but I'm hoping it will save me a few seconds of terror at the mailbox. Does the acceptance letter arrive as a big envelope, and the rejection/waitlist a small envelope?

It's been a few years, but I believe the acceptance letter arrives in a small envelope. It may be thick, because I"m pretty sure they send a packet of information, but it's still in a standard letter envelope.

It's a small, normal-sized envelope, but it's thick.

waitlisted..... le sigh.

Sorry to hear :( I'm surprised you got the letter so fast...you're in CA, right? This makes me afraid to check the mail when I get home from work. :eek:

EDIT: Roommate just opened the letter. Alternate. :(

I'm waiting to join this waitlist party too, but my mailman is late.

Edit: Confirmed. Back to waiting...

Last edited:
Sorry to hear :( I'm surprised you got the letter so fast...you're in CA, right? This makes me afraid to check the mail when I get home from work. :eek:

EDIT: Roommate just opened the letter. Alternate. :(

Yah I'm all the way in CA so I was surprised when it came today too.

Hopefully there's waitlist movement this year in may so we both get in =]

Yah I'm all the way in CA so I was surprised when it came today too.

Hopefully there's waitlist movement this year in may so we both get in =]

I got mine on the Monday after my Thursday interview, a West-Coaster, too (Oregon). Gotta love the UVA efficiency!

I just got an OOS II after being complete since JULY. So I am surprised and excited. Am I mostly interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point? US News suggests good OOS II:acceptance, but it looks like lots of waitlist as of late.

wooo hooo! Interview invite!.....I was complete in mid-late August, OOS, 35, 3.8

Last edited:
I just got an OOS II after being complete since JULY. So I am surprised and excited. Am I mostly interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point? US News suggests good OOS II:acceptance, but it looks like lots of waitlist as of late.

I can *almost* guarantee that there are still acceptance spots available. But, again, waitlist is not the end of the world. There will be waitlist movement, and if you want a 'second look', you can e-mail the admissions office to set you up.

I was in a very similar situation (OOS, complete since summer) and interviewed the last week of January and was accepted...so it's definitely possible! :)

Best Vday present ever - accepted at UVa. Interviewed mid last week. OOS. So there are spots still available guys!!!

i think they're still interviewing. UVA accepts updates, so you should definitely send something along
you should update PRE-INTERVIEW since they meet and decide your fate the next day...which wouldnt give you enough time :D.

right, i forgot about that. Scratch what i said then
Cherrios!

Status
Not open for further replies.