2012-2013 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can people who have already experienced the MMI tell us anything about it? Obviously without getting in trouble, but what was it like? Can you give us examples of scenarious/questions you experienced? How many other interviewees were present? Did you feel like there were stations designed specifically to evoke a particular emotion, like stress, anxiety, etc. ?
Due to a non disclosure agreement, we can't tell you specifics, but my best advice for you is to do research on the MMI, there's a lot out there, and get a feel for the spectrum of questions/scenarios. Prep mentally by devising a basic "game plan" if you were out in any of these example scenarios online. Going through it a few times before my interview helped calm my nerves and took away the element of surprise in many cases. It's kind of like speed dating and I treated it like a mental "game" of sorts. The best advice I ever got was to "do the right thing."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just withdrew my interview spot for Feb 19th if someone was looking for an earlier date. Sorry for the late cancellation, hope it goes to an SDN'er!
 
Just got accepted. Interview 1-22. I was calling in to check up and the lady who answered the phone said she just emailed my decision a half second ago! Was intense lol.
 
Just got accepted. Interview 1-22. I was calling in to check up and the lady who answered the phone said she just emailed my decision a half second ago! Was intense lol.

woah congrats! Maybe they did get to my file...

edit: Just saw your name in your sig, you were in my interview group! Glad to see you got accepted man 🙂
 
Last edited:
that's a quick turn around time. I interviewed 1/22 too. Were you in the afternoon session by any chance?

Yeah afternoon group. Stayed in hotel next door. Red/gray tie? lol. In that awkward waiting room I sat in the middle large chair haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the UC notification today as well. The UC letter says they will let us know in June?

I have another acceptance, so I'm not sure if I should wait it out or withdraw. The big issue for me is moving all of my belongings to Albany over the summer would make for much cheaper storage than in NYC (where I'm from and would be storing my stuff if I go to the other school).

Has anyone seen any UC movement earlier than June?
 
Interviewed for today. Thanks to everyone who gave me tips (goobs, Sally, tritown (I get why your username is tritown now hahaha)) where to stay and what to expect.
I really enjoyed my tour guide and the students there. Nice vibes that lean towards a student centered medical school. Meet some awesome people in my interview group.

There is a nice Sports Bar with friendly bartenders if you want to grab some beer to chill before and after interviews. 😛 I don't take credit but I'm going to share that the "BBQ Sandwich" was dank and the beers on tap were generally all good. (I'm no beer connoisseur though, probably a good thing)

Other people have added great tips in this forum, but I'll add my 1 cent for kicks.
In regards to the MMI, it was my first one. Like I was told, the staff really helps to steer you in the right direction. So the 8 minutes is a breeze and they help with follow up questions.
Check this out and have a friend read them to you if you need practice.
Basically be familiar with the following:
Autonomy: Patients have the right to deciding and rejecting their healthcare and treatment (above the age of 18 or a mature enough teen)
Beneficence: Act in the best interest of the patient.
Nonmalificence: Do no harm towards the patient. Cost benefit to risk ratio
Justice: Fair treatment for all. Is it okay to say no to transplant a liver for someone just because she/he is an alcoholic?

But be cool, smile, and eye contact.
Good luck to you guys in my group (if you read this), it was fun kicking it with you guys.
 
Got the UC notification today as well. The UC letter says they will let us know in June?

I have another acceptance, so I'm not sure if I should wait it out or withdraw. The big issue for me is moving all of my belongings to Albany over the summer would make for much cheaper storage than in NYC (where I'm from and would be storing my stuff if I go to the other school).

Has anyone seen any UC movement earlier than June?

When did you interview?
 
No need to apologize. Sorry to hear that man =/

Actually - I'm a woman lol, I still appreciate your empathy though! I just talked to my mom, she thinks I should just store in Boston (where I live now) and then can move everything to either school once I know. It's way cheaper than NYC.

I really hope I get of the UC list. Is it bad form to drop another school in the summer? I'm guessing if spots open up then, that means lots of people do it right?
 
Actually - I'm a woman lol, I still appreciate your empathy though! I just talked to my mom, she thinks I should just store in Boston (where I live now) and then can move everything to either school once I know. It's way cheaper than NYC.

I really hope I get of the UC list. Is it bad form to drop another school in the summer? I'm guessing if spots open up then, that means lots of people do it right?

Oops sorry! I thought to myself after I submit that post "hmm what if it's a woman...oh well, 50/50 chance I'm right"...guess I wasn't lol.
 
Oops sorry! I thought to myself after I submit that post "hmm what if it's a woman...oh well, 50/50 chance I'm right"...guess I wasn't lol.

I'M SO OFFENDED HOW DARE YOU!!!

Totally joking. It's fine, my username does not indicate a gender. Good luck to you, I didn't see if you had heard yet. I hope you get good news!!
 
Actually - I'm a woman lol, I still appreciate your empathy though! I just talked to my mom, she thinks I should just store in Boston (where I live now) and then can move everything to either school once I know. It's way cheaper than NYC.

I really hope I get of the UC list. Is it bad form to drop another school in the summer? I'm guessing if spots open up then, that means lots of people do it right?

It's not bad form to drop another school in the summer. Schools know that a majority of the WL movement starts after May 15th (the deadline to hold multiple acceptances). Getting off a WL at one school and dropping another school to go there actually causes a ripple effect of waitlist movement (since you vacated a spot to go to Albany, someone else will drop their spot at another school to take the spot you left, and so on)
 
Do we get an email or a snail mail in the case of rejection/UC ? I interviewed here on 1/3 and still have not heard anything yet >---<
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just interviewed here today so I thought I'd give a little feedback of my experience for those still waiting to interview.

The interview day itself is very laid back and the staff are extremely helpful. I was very nervous for this MMI format, but there is absolutely no need to be. Albany Medical College takes a very laid-back approach to the MMI and the interviewers are all extremely easy to talk to and promote a very smooth discussion, instead of purposefully trying to be argumentative. The MMI flew by for me personally, and I had a great time doing it! There is very little to do to prepare, aside from looking through some example questions (I believe some links were posted earlier in this thread). The tour and lunch discussion was helpful as well and I was out of there by 1PM.

I have lived near the Albany area throughout undergrad, and so I know it pretty well. Albany is a small sized city with an extremely small cost of living. It is easy to get by paying anywhere from 300-500 dollars a month of rent if you split it with other students. Although it is a smaller city, there is plenty to do in the area in terms of bars, restaurants, movies, malls, and even smaller sized clubs. NYC, Boston, and Montreal are all equidistant from Albany (around 3 hours I believe), so it is not difficult to find things to do.

The last thing I'd like to say is that AMC administration really seems keen on having their students succeed. According to many 3rd and 4th years I know, they are very willing to work around your own schedule in goals, especially in terms of setting up away rotations. Another point I found great is that it is basically a pass fail system and is extremely board focused (2nd year tests end up being mostly, if not all, old board questions). I think this setup maximizes your ability to get high board scores and end up at prestigious specialties/residencies.

Overall, although AMC is expensive, I think it does put you in a great position to succeed! I'm looking forward to finding out my decision! They said it should be released in 2-3 weeks. They said they are basically in the middle of their interview season and that interviews will run all the way to mid-late april. Also, they said they are accepting very conservatively right now and that being put on the under-consideration list is not the end of the world. The UC list is not an official wait list, and many people may get off the UC list once they are done interviewing and have evaluated how many spots they have left. Once this is done, they will create an official waitlist. Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps! Goodluck to those still interviewing! :luck:
 
I just interviewed here today so I thought I'd give a little feedback of my experience for those still waiting to interview.

The interview day itself is very laid back and the staff are extremely helpful. I was very nervous for this MMI format, but there is absolutely no need to be. Albany Medical College takes a very laid-back approach to the MMI and the interviewers are all extremely easy to talk to and promote a very smooth discussion, instead of purposefully trying to be argumentative. The MMI flew by for me personally, and I had a great time doing it! There is very little to do to prepare, aside from looking through some example questions (I believe some links were posted earlier in this thread). The tour and lunch discussion was helpful as well and I was out of there by 1PM.

I have lived near the Albany area throughout undergrad, and so I know it pretty well. Albany is a small sized city with an extremely small cost of living. It is easy to get by paying anywhere from 300-500 dollars a month of rent if you split it with other students. Although it is a smaller city, there is plenty to do in the area in terms of bars, restaurants, movies, malls, and even smaller sized clubs. NYC, Boston, and Montreal are all equidistant from Albany (around 3 hours I believe), so it is not difficult to find things to do.

The last thing I'd like to say is that AMC administration really seems keen on having their students succeed. According to many 3rd and 4th years I know, they are very willing to work around your own schedule in goals, especially in terms of setting up away rotations. Another point I found great is that it is basically a pass fail system and is extremely board focused (2nd year tests end up being mostly, if not all, old board questions). I think this setup maximizes your ability to get high board scores and end up at prestigious specialties/residencies.

Overall, although AMC is expensive, I think it does put you in a great position to succeed! I'm looking forward to finding out my decision! They said it should be released in 2-3 weeks. They said they are basically in the middle of their interview season and that interviews will run all the way to mid-late april. Also, they said they are accepting very conservatively right now and that being put on the under-consideration list is not the end of the world. The UC list is not an official wait list, and many people may get off the UC list once they are done interviewing and have evaluated how many spots they have left. Once this is done, they will create an official waitlist. Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps! Goodluck to those still interviewing! :luck:


Great summary! I definitely am excited about going here next year!
 
E-mail today placing me on "hold" for consideration of an interview...anyone know if there is considerable movement from this list, or does pretty much everyone get that e-mail?
 
Is there a facebook group going yet for accepted peoples?

I was wondering the same thing!!! but i heard that the current MS1's are supposed to make a facebook group for the incoming students, but I've also heard that since the MS1s are busy until may with tests, that they wont make the FB until May.


I was thinking of making an UNofficial FB page for class of 2017..but didn't want to step on anyones toes haha
 
Is it safe to say that if we don't have an II by now, we've been silently rejected? Should I give up hope and curl up in a ball now or should I keep holding on?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it safe to say that if we don't have an II by now, we've been silently rejected? Should I give up hope and curl up in a ball now or should I keep holding on?

I think you'll be okay since Albany interviews until pretty late (I think April?)
 
Has anyone that was accepted received any confirmation email or any other emails detailing acceptance packages or anything?

I got a financial aid email like a week after my acceptance, but is there any other correspondence that they've been sending out?
 
There's an online acceptance packet that you need to fill out within a few days of your acceptance email, but other than that and the financial aid email, I haven't heard anything else.
 
There's an online acceptance packet that you need to fill out within a few days of your acceptance email, but other than that and the financial aid email, I haven't heard anything else.

Okay ya i have 4 green cehck marks for the acceptance packet and stuff...just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else i needed to do. Thanks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.