2012-2013 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I'm glad I could bring some good news but I apologize in advance for any eventual letdown

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that after 1000 gets invited for an interview, and they accept 100.

I heard that after 1000 gets invited for an interview, and they accept 100.

Wait...so after 1000 get interview invites they stop giving interview invites? and after 100 people are accepted only 100 are accepted until people reject them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was totally thinking of making the AMC Class of 2017 Facebook page, but i was reading that last year some of the freshmen orientation coordinators do that for us. any thoughts????

"decisions are released weekly"

There is room for about 900-1100 individuals to interview.
They are usually aiming for 100 to matriculate.

The rest is speculation based on how things have run in the past. I don't know exactly how they are doing it this year, but it sounds like for the most part everything is the same except the MMI format of interview instead of the traditional interview.

Assuming everything goes as it does in previous years, this would mean they would need to offer acceptances to around 300 individuals. However, this is probably over the whole cycle. Usually they are pretty conservative at first because they want to make sure that all the interviews are for spots in the class. Even if you interview in late April, in the past you have not been interviewing for a waitlist spot. As people begin to decline acceptances, they will obviously accept more people to hit that matriculation number. Likewise with interview invites; if people are declining invites within a reasonable timeframe (e.g. not the night before), I would imagine they would try and offer invites to more people.

In the past they've had a during-the-cycle waitlist called the "under consideration" category, which you would be pulled from in order based on your score from the Admissions/ranking committee meeting when they reviewed your file after the interview. Although it doesn't sound like anyone has gotten notification of that yet, so perhaps they're doing it differently this year. But in the past, those emails went out at the same time as the regular acceptance emails. And in the past, there had been a good amount of movement from that list, although usually later in the cycle once people started declining multiple acceptances.

Also regarding the facebook page - your orientation coordinator, an MS-I, will make a facebook page for you. The MS-I students don't end their year until May 24, so it probably won't be up until a week or two after that. They'll be setting everyone up with access to sakai, our online portal, email, and all those other goodies which will have lots of information around that time.

Accepted via email today! A little surprised because I didn't feel I did so well in the MMI. 32//3.76 OOS

Submitted 8/14
II 11/30
Interview 1/9
Accepted 1/28

Accepted via email today! A little surprised because I didn't feel I did so well in the MMI. 32//3.76 OOS

Submitted 8/14
II 11/30
Interview 1/9
Accepted 1/28

congrats! did you just get the email?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received a negative response yet? interviewed 12/17 and haven't heard anything yet.

strange, when i called not too long ago (~30 min ago) they said they haven't sent out decisions for this week yet...
i've tried calling but it goes strait to VM. did you get any other useful information when you spoke to them?

II today! Probably going to withdraw though... it's late and it's pretty expensive to get out there. Hope a fellow SDNer gets my spot :)

II today! Probably going to withdraw though... it's late and it's pretty expensive to get out there. Hope a fellow SDNer gets my spot :)

got an II too. the soonest opening was mid-april... eeks!

Hello,

I received an interview invite to Albany yesterday but unfortunately had to work until very late. My dad went ahead and booked the tickets for the interview date on Feb 26th, however when I returned home to confirm it on the actual response form....the date was gone! If there is anyone out there who booked an interview on that date and does not want it anymore, or does not mind trading dates I would really REALLY REALLY REAAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY appreciate it! I contacted the office already and they said that this would be okay to do! Anyone out there that does not mind please let me know!

Thank you!
All the best!

Hello,

I received an interview invite to Albany yesterday but unfortunately had to work until very late. My dad went ahead and booked the tickets for the interview date on Feb 26th, however when I returned home to confirm it on the actual response form....the date was gone! If there is anyone out there who booked an interview on that date and does not want it anymore, or does not mind trading dates I would really REALLY REALLY REAAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY appreciate it! I contacted the office already and they said that this would be okay to do! Anyone out there that does not mind please let me know!

Thank you!
All the best!

What date(s) would we be trading to?

Hello,

Thank you!
All the best!

If its early enough, most airlines will allow you to change your tickets in terms of dates without a penalty.

I was just placed on hold...Is this basically the kiss of death for this school?

I was just placed on hold...Is this basically the kiss of death for this school?

nope. i know a few of my friends here that got in off the WL. Albany isn't exactly most people number one choice due to cost/location. hang in there! I still haven't gotten my decision....i don't understand why they don't release decisions if they've already been made.....

Yea I got hold too. I mean I've heard ALbany's spots are filled up, but that as some people turn down their invites to interview, another person will be invited to fill in. But these dates are all in april at this point. I feel like being on a pre-interview hold at this point in the game is basically equivalent to a rejection. they'll never get back to us

Actually it was a pre-interview hold.

Yea I got hold too. I mean I've heard ALbany's spots are filled up, but that as some people turn down their invites to interview, another person will be invited to fill in. But these dates are all in april at this point. I feel like being on a pre-interview hold at this point in the game is basically equivalent to a rejection. they'll never get back to us

Pre-interview hold

Do you mind if I ask how you were notified? Email? Status page?

No pre-interview hold here, and I'm starting to see rejections trickle in from other schools. This whole process has left me scratching my head. I never truly believed it could be as strange and gut-churning as I've heard people describe it.

I just got a pre-interview hold. Took them awhile.

Any acceptances this week? The thought of doing a third round of applications is depressing me :scared:

I have an interview here soon and I was wondering if anyone accepted could give tips on dealing with the MMI (as it'll be my first MMI)? Or if we should do some background research, obviously without giving us information that would get you in trouble. I read on SDN's interview feedback thread that Albany used to ask some pretty in-depth questions during the one-on-one, so should we prepare for something like that for the MMI? Thank you!

Got pre-interview hold yesterday. Complete in July. :rolleyes:

I have an interview here soon and I was wondering if anyone accepted could give tips on dealing with the MMI (as it'll be my first MMI)? Or if we should do some background research, obviously without giving us information that would get you in trouble. I read on SDN's interview feedback thread that Albany used to ask some pretty in-depth questions during the one-on-one, so should we prepare for something like that for the MMI? Thank you!

Have not heard back yet so not accepted but did the MMI in January and IMHO you can't prepare for it. Cannot give you the questions (obviously :) but I'd say to just jump in and have fun with it. The time will fly by and you will get into a groove as you progress from station to station. I would tell you to take the time to to really think about the prompt and have a couple different ideas in mind before you head into the room. Otherwise don't stress and good luck!

Have not heard back yet so not accepted but did the MMI in January and IMHO you can't prepare for it. Cannot give you the questions (obviously :) but I'd say to just jump in and have fun with it. The time will fly by and you will get into a groove as you progress from station to station. I would tell you to take the time to to really think about the prompt and have a couple different ideas in mind before you head into the room. Otherwise don't stress and good luck!

Hey this seems silly to ask, but is awkward wearing a suit in these stations.. eg, are you ever doing lots of physical stuff / any sudden or crazy movements...?

k thanks. I have no clue how MMIs work but I heard random stories about people walking into someone who is coding, etc. and what you would do in that situation. So maybe you'd have to drop down to the ground or something... Perhaps those stories are a bit exaggerated though!

"decisions are released weekly"

I went nuts when they gave me that response on the phone. I interviewed on 11/28 and haven't heard back yet. I was VERY impressed with the school, mainly because the students seemed really happy to be there. FINGERS CROSSED!

:scared:

I was offered an interview invitation recently, and I was wondering if there are any tips to do well with the MMI? What was your experience? Did you prefer it to the traditional interview? How did you like Albany in general? And I guess my question for current Albany students is what do you like/dislike about Albany, why do you enjoy attending Albany, etc. etc.?

I've read through the thread and there's definitely great advice and tips, I'm just trying to get as much out as I can.

Has anyone been rejected or wait listed post interview?

Do they have a student host program?

Status
Not open for further replies.