2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the subject line of the accepted students email regarding orientation and financial aid? I was accepted in November, but I do not remember receiving that email.

Thanks!

"Important Information from Baylor College of Medicine". Check your spam mail b/c the e-mail was sent to me from another e-mail address (i.e. not [email protected])

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed in October (OOS). Do people get in after this long of a wait?

Interview coming up this friday and the only snowstorm of the reason decide to hit us. Crossing my fingers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the criteria for determining scholarships?

I have no idea. I never even applied for that scholarship. They just selected me, and said that I'm still eligible for need-based scholarships because this one is not need-based.

BCM should be releasing acceptances sometime soon, right?

BCM should be releasing acceptances sometime soon, right?

i distinctly remember the med students during my interview back in november saying that most acceptances go out after the last interview... so i am expecting a surge of acceptances in the next couple of weeks!! :luck: i will be watching my phone very closely from now until then lol

i distinctly remember the med students during my interview back in november saying that most acceptances go out after the last interview... so i am expecting a surge of acceptances in the next couple of weeks!! :luck: i will be watching my phone very closely from now until then lol

Yesterday, they told us that if we're selected, then we'll get a call in about two weeks. I don't know how it is for people who have interviewed long ago.

Yesterday, they told us that if we're selected, then we'll get a call in about two weeks. I don't know how it is for people who have interviewed long ago.

yes, you are probably correct! they save enough spots to potentially admit everyone who attended the last interview. so that means a couple of more weeks of waiting.

So for everyone who still has not been accepted, when is the "last" day you'll give up your acceptance to another school and go to BCM if you get the call?

I have mixed feelings about this...I don't want to be BCM's sloppy seconds and get the call in May or June, only after someone gives up their spot.

I have mixed feelings about this...I don't want to be BCM's sloppy seconds and get the call in May or June, only after someone gives up their spot.

If I really wanted to go here, I'd gladly accept sloppy seconds. Plus, no one will know unless you tell them.

If I really wanted to go here, I'd gladly accept sloppy seconds. Plus, no one will know unless you tell them.

Yes, but you were accepted in December 2012.

I'm talking about applicants who have been accepted on the first day possible at higher and lower ranked medical schools, who still hold hope for BCM. At what point would you say "forget you, BCM, XXX-Ivy-League accepted me in November, and now it's April and you still haven't even called"?

I'm talking about applicants who have been accepted on the first day possible at higher and lower ranked medical schools, who still hold hope for BCM. At what point would you say "forget you, BCM, XXX-Ivy-League accepted me in November, and now it's April and you still haven't even called"?

Not accepted to Baylor yet. My sentiments are the same as anhtimmy's. With my current acceptance, I'd go to Baylor if they called me the day before orientation.

Not accepted to Baylor yet. My sentiments are the same as anhtimmy's. With my current acceptance, I'd go to Baylor if they called me the day before orientation.

Thank you for your reply.

I still feel as if BCM is not giving you, or any other applicant for that matter, appreciation as a strong candidate if they call you the day before orientation. Wouldn't you feel like you were their last resort?

I still feel as if BCM is not giving you, or any other applicant for that matter, appreciation as a strong candidate if they call you the day before orientation. Wouldn't you feel like you were their last resort?

No. Being chosen to attend such a school the last minute (over possibly 100s of other such qualified candidates also hoping to hear back from them) is an honor, not a blow to one's pride.

No. Being chosen to attend such a school the last minute (over possibly 100s of other such qualified candidates still hoping to hear back from them as well) is an honor, not a blow to one's pride.

It is this kind of applicant mentality that seems to "allow" BCM to hand out acceptances so much later than Ivies and local medical schools.

Thoughts from other applicants?

It is this kind of applicant mentality that seems to "allow" BCM to hand out acceptances so much later than Ivies and local medical schools.

I'm with anhtimmy and dextor. Leave the sloppy seconds for me :naughty:

I'm in limbo here as well, but accepted in another local school. I don't consider it a blow to my pride if Baylor called the day before orientation at all, an acceptance at Baylor is huge and may make a large difference not only in where I practice but what I do and how well I do it.

...that being said, there will be a point at which it's logistically silly for me to dump all of my plans and dash over to Houston to try and carve out a spot. I'm not 100 percent sure when that date will be right now, but it does come before the summer progresses too far to be sure. Other people will obviously have to do what I just described because it's either Houston or bust as far as this cycle is concerned, and it's kinda comforting knowing that if I stick to what I have, it may open a door for someone who doesn't have the options I've been afforded.

But then again, I'm trying to burn off all of my excess self-esteem so that it's less traumatizing when the medical education machine does it for me :naughty:

So for everyone who still has not been accepted, when is the "last" day you'll give up your acceptance to another school and go to BCM if you get the call?

i'm sorry you haven't heard back from BCM yet. getting into medical school is a waiting game. you have to be patient. all schools do things differently and at BCM, we give everyone a chance. therefore, if you are interested, you must be patient. as others have said, many would LOVE the opportunity to come to BCM (or ANY school for that matter) and would go there regardless of when they got accepted.

what does it matter if you're accepted first or last? in the end, you are all in the same class and you all will graduate together as doctors. there is no stigma associated w/getting into school at a later date.

I'm in limbo here as well, but accepted in another local school. I don't consider it a blow to my pride if Baylor called the day before orientation at all, an acceptance at Baylor is huge and may make a large difference not only in where I practice but what I do and how well I do it.

...that being said, there will be a point at which it's logistically silly for me to dump all of my plans and dash over to Houston to try and carve out a spot. I'm not 100 percent sure when that date will be right now, but it does come before the summer progresses too far to be sure. Other people will obviously have to do what I just described because it's either Houston or bust as far as this cycle is concerned, and it's kinda comforting knowing that if I stick to what I have, it may open a door for someone who doesn't have the options I've been afforded.

But then again, I'm trying to burn off all of my excess self-esteem so that it's less traumatizing when the medical education machine does it for me :naughty:

You bring up some good points, close to what I had in mind.

Let's assume you, or any other applicant in limbo, receives a call the week before orientation. The logistics of throwing away all housing/paperwork/etc. to switch to BCM is impractical, but in some cases, can be done. The main concern is the matter of pride, and more specifically, always knowing that you were second, or even third choice for your position in the class.

Let's take the analogy a bit further. You go to purchase a BMW, and bring your paperwork. The dealer reviews it, and through his calculations, decides you cannot purchase the cars on the display floor. Instead, he gives you the option of a clean, refurbished, but used BMW. No one will know it was purchased used but you. With the applicant mentality, you would be be glad to even own a BMW.

Here is my question: would you sell off your new floor-model Lexus, sold to you exclusively by the dealer on the first day it came out, just to buy the used BMW?

You bring up some good points, close to what I had in mind.

Let's assume you, or any other applicant in limbo, receives a call the week before orientation. The logistics of throwing away all housing/paperwork/etc. to switch to BCM is impractical, but in some cases, can be done. The main concern is the matter of pride, and more specifically, always knowing that you were second, or even third choice for your position in the class.

Let's take the analogy a bit further. You go to purchase a BMW, and bring your paperwork. The dealer reviews it, and through his calculations, decides you cannot purchase the cars on the display floor. Instead, he gives you the option of a clean, refurbished, but used BMW. No one will know it was purchased used but you. With the applicant mentality, you would be be glad to even own a BMW.

Here is my question: would you sell off your new floor-model Lexus, sold to you exclusively by the dealer on the first day it came out, just to buy the used BMW?

This analogy is pointless... If you've been accepted to a school that you view as a "floor-model Lexus" as compared to this school as a "used BMW" you've already made up your mind and should go ahead and withdraw from the school. If you don't want to attend the school enough to wait for a decision, then withdraw, simple as that.

I'd choose the Lexus in this instance because I'm pretty sure I know a good dealership for replacement parts nearby :)

I understand what you mean by not liking opportunities that seem second hand, but I'm not sure there is a point in taking any of this personally. I mean, how ARE they ranking us anyway? Everyone that got an interview is someone that on paper, is a slam-dunk for the institution. So..that's like 600 of us? Maybe more? And we all probably interviewed well enough, so what now? The difference between you and 50 applicants just like you was still the subjective rating of a human interviewer set. That means that you are at the whim of a bunch of stuff you can't control. The scary part of the interview process is that your entire medical career is likely going to come down to how some old doc's lunch bagel is agreeing with him at that particular moment in space and time. If you get in on time, awesome. If you get waitlisted and pulled in later, what's the point of taking it personally? Take advantage of what you can get, go where you think you'll become the best doctor, and enjoy being lucky *and* good.

At least, that's what I tell myself.

Baylor offers acceptances to about 350 people every year. If you get a call late in the application cycle, your pride would be damaged since you're number 350 on their list instead of 349? That kind of mentality makes no sense, in my opinion. It seems to me like you want a school that puts you up on a pedestal and constantly tells you that you're the best in their class. It's not always about you. It is somewhat evident that you've already made up your mind about Baylor, so I think it's best for you to withdraw and give your spot on the list for others who still want to go to this school. :naughty:

The main concern is the matter of pride, and more specifically, always knowing that you were second, or even third choice for your position in the class.

If I prefer BCM over my other acceptances, I'll eat my pride and rush to Houston in a heartbeat. If I prefer the other school in all circumstances, I would withdraw from BCM before this even matters.

The gray area comes in if I've been accepted at a school that I consider to be "equivalent" to BCM. In that case, if I were to be accepted to the other school back in October or something, it would be something I would consider because I'd feel a much higher sense of loyalty to an institution that put its trust in me as a good fit so early. It's kind of like dating. Ideally, you'd like there to be mutual interest, and an earlier acceptance (for the schools that do rolling admissions) is a sign of greater interest on the part of the school, IMO.

This analogy is pointless... If you've been accepted to a school that you view as a "floor-model Lexus" as compared to this school as a "used BMW" you've already made up your mind and should go ahead and withdraw from the school. If you don't want to attend the school enough to wait for a decision, then withdraw, simple as that.

You've misunderstood the analogy. Refer to PrecordialChump's reply for a better explanation.

Baylor offers acceptances to about 350 people every year. If you get a call late in the application cycle, your pride would be damaged since you're number 350 on their list instead of 349? That kind of mentality makes no sense, in my opinion. It seems to me like you want a school that puts you up on a pedestal and constantly tells you that you're the best in their class. It's not always about you. It is somewhat evident that you've already made up your mind about Baylor, so I think it's best for you to withdraw and give your spot on the list for others who still want to go to this school. :naughty:

You've assumed many things here, but that's understandable because this is not a face-to-face conversation.

Indeed, the application cycle is always about the applicant, what he/she finds is a good fit, and where he/she will use his/her talents the best. The job of medical schools is to weigh its factors in finding a reasonable match.

For a school that explicitly tells you in the acceptance that you are one of their top candidates, and another to call you at the very last minute, demonstrates a difference in how these schools weigh your strengths/weaknesses.

Assuming you are called the week before orientation, would you, then, accept a school that clearly finds you as a match of last resort?

Reread my posts and you will see I still hold hope for BCM because it is my top choice, despite several other acceptances in-state and out-of-state.

I'd choose the Lexus in this instance because I'm pretty sure I know a good dealership for replacement parts nearby :)

I understand what you mean by not liking opportunities that seem second hand, but I'm not sure there is a point in taking any of this personally. I mean, how ARE they ranking us anyway? Everyone that got an interview is someone that on paper, is a slam-dunk for the institution. So..that's like 600 of us? Maybe more? And we all probably interviewed well enough, so what now? The difference between you and 50 applicants just like you was still the subjective rating of a human interviewer set. That means that you are at the whim of a bunch of stuff you can't control. The scary part of the interview process is that your entire medical career is likely going to come down to how some old doc's lunch bagel is agreeing with him at that particular moment in space and time. If you get in on time, awesome. If you get waitlisted and pulled in later, what's the point of taking it personally? Take advantage of what you can get, go where you think you'll become the best doctor, and enjoy being lucky *and* good.

At least, that's what I tell myself.

Thank you for your insight. As always, it is nice to step back and look at the situation, as you've done.

Thank you for your input, everyone.

Last edited:
If I prefer BCM over my other acceptances, I'll eat my pride and rush to Houston in a heartbeat. If I prefer the other school in all circumstances, I would withdraw from BCM before this even matters.

The gray area comes in if I've been accepted at a school that I consider to be "equivalent" to BCM. In that case, if I were to be accepted to the other school back in October or something, it would be something I would consider because I'd feel a much higher sense of loyalty to an institution that put its trust in me as a good fit so early. It's kind of like dating. Ideally, you'd like there to be mutual interest, and an earlier acceptance (for the schools that do rolling admissions) is a sign of greater interest on the part of the school, IMO.

You've hit the nail right on the head, imnamerican :)

With all this talk about "sloppy seconds" and "pride", please keep in mind the countless pre-meds who, despite their extremely hard work and dedication to this profession, do not receive any acceptances to medical school. It's fair to say that most people in this thread already know they'll be med students somewhere. Be grateful. :)

I think it's perfectly normal to have these kind of feelings towards medical school admissions. The long waiting time between interview and acceptance/rejection can test anyone's patience. However, I feel like there is fine line between impatience and snobbishness. To consider yourself baylor's "sloppy seconds" is neither healthy nor productive thinking. For those of us still waiting to hear back, we should take a step back and put things in perspective. Out of the thousands of applicants who applied to baylor, we were chosen for a chance to interview. I personally know many qualified applicants with high MCAT/GPA who baylor didn't interview. I am sure you will become a fine doctor from ANY medical school. So take a deep breath and enjoy your time before medical school starts while you can!

With all this talk about "sloppy seconds" and "pride", please keep in mind the countless pre-meds who, despite their extremely hard work and dedication to this profession, do not receive any acceptances to medical school. It's fair to say that most people in this thread already know they'll be med students somewhere. Be grateful. :)

Blessed and grateful, but realistic. Not everyone has the peace of mind to be accepted in December, rishk789.

This. Stop worrying about your pride and be grateful that you have the opportunity to pursue a profession that thousands of people will never get to.

I think it's perfectly normal to have these kind of feelings towards medical school admissions. The long waiting time between interview and acceptance/rejection can test anyone's patience. However, I feel like there is fine line between impatience and snobbishness. To consider yourself baylor's "sloppy seconds" is neither healthy nor productive thinking. For those of us still waiting to hear back, we should take a step back and put things in perspective. Out of the thousands of applicants who applied to baylor, we were chosen for a chance to interview. I personally know many qualified applicants with high MCAT/GPA who baylor didn't interview. I am sure you will become a fine doctor from ANY medical school. So take a deep breath and enjoy your time before medical school starts while you can!

It is always good to step back and change perspective, as you suggest.

However, this discussion is not snobbish in any regards. It may seem so because we are talking about the elephant in the room, but keep in mind that respect is held in high regards to every medical school and the opportunities we have.

Thank you for your input, everyone. I'm certain we all are looking forward to this summer :)

attachment.php

Not completely. I almost believe you're being serious, but a lot of your concerns and points are either incorrect or don't make any sense.

I've been watching this thread and I have to say, the guy/girl does bring up a few interesting points. For what it's worth, I think this page in the thread has been the most interesting so far, so even if he's a troll (I doubt it) he's talking about a subject I've never thought about before, and with respect.

Still waiting on that call though! haha maybe we'll hear some good news soon? :luck:

This is the only school I am keeping an open door for, and while I have thought about the awkward situation of having to withdraw from my current acceptance, I can't help but think it'd be for MY best. Then again a good financial aid packet might keep me where I'm at.... Time will tell. But for now BCM is on my back burner. :sleep:

Got the scholarship offer. Was definitely not expecting it at all :love:

Congrats!

Does anyone know if there will be anymore of these coming or if I missed the boat? I only ask because I received a scholarship from another school and I am deciding between the two. I prefer Baylor in most ways, but would save a significant amount by taking the scholarship at the other school.

Anyone else having trouble logging into the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.