2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else having trouble logging into the website?

yes.. im assuming this is their way of saying "pre-interview rejection" :)

Members don't see this ad.

Or alternatively, a memory retooling to handle the volume of applicants about to drop in on their website, find the loading process too slow, and ambush the admissions office with phone calls...

I was told that all pre-interview rejections are being sent out this week during my interview last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that all pre-interview rejections are being sent out this week during my interview last week.

I can verify this is true--just got the axe! Not like this hasn't been a long time coming or anything...goodbye Baylor! Good luck to the rest of you guys :)

Interviews are over.... Why no acceptance calls, Baylor? :eyebrow:

Same question they asked in last years thread. I think early to mid March is the time for acceptance calls going off last year's thread

Thanks for the info.

Basically, if you didn't get a call two weeks after your interviews, then the next time that you may potentially get a call is mid-March. They have to review everyone's files, that's why, all 700 or so of them who they didn't call yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Committee will meet this Friday to discuss the last batch of people interviewed. Calls will start the week after.

The last batch as in the 2/22 group, or 2/15 & 2/22? How rigid is that two week window for acceptance calls?

Basically, if you didn't get a call two weeks after your interviews, then the next time that you may potentially get a call is mid-March. They have to review everyone's files, that's why, all 700 or so of them who they didn't call yet.

This isn't entirely accurate. The committee meetings are to discuss multiple interview sessions from the preceding weeks, but keep in mind that BCM has a rolling admissions. You can, theoretically, receive a call at any point once you've interviewed (after November 15th). Now that the AdCom has our pool of interviewed applicants, a lot more movement can take place in terms of acceptances.

I've spent so much energy trying to figure out this scheme. I'm at the point now that I've got to live life. If the call comes, then awesome! If it doesn't, well, I'll be disappointed but ultimately okay. Baylor, you're my number 1! :xf::xf:

The last batch as in the 2/22 group, or 2/15 & 2/22? How rigid is that two week window for acceptance calls?

Basically what I was told during my 2/22 interview is that committee will meet this Friday 3/01 to discuss our interviewing group (no mention of 2/15) and calls may start as soon as that following week (no specific day was mentioned though). Sorry I can't be any more specific. Good luck to everyone!

I'd imagine if you aren't accepted during the 2 wk after interview time period, you still have a chance of getting in later but the chances are lower because you'll be compared against the whole lot of other interviewers that didn't get in earlier. Plus I'd imagine they have a lot fewer spots left so they have to be even more selective.

I'm guessing no one has a clear idea of the number of spots given:available?

I'd imagine if you aren't accepted during the 2 wk after interview time period, you still have a chance of getting in later but the chances are lower because you'll be compared against the whole lot of other interviewers that didn't get in earlier. Plus I'd imagine they have a lot fewer spots left so they have to be even more selective.

Yea I guess I'm really just wondering if anyone who interviewed 2/15 has gotten a call yet

Actually, the way they explained it on my interview day was that after they interview you, they put you on a ranked list with everyone else and throughout the process they accept relatively small batches of people off the top of the list as they interview. Then, in March they make the vast majority of their acceptances.

So that means your odds aren’t necessarily any worse now than they were before because now they’re accepting a much larger group of people. And while you are being compared to a larger group of candidates than you would have been in September, this time they’re actually looking to accept more than just their top tier candidates, so if you were a solid but not spectacular candidate you might actually have a higher chance of being accepted now than you did right after your interview

Looked up last year's Baylor thread; it said that at the time of the final interview, they had sent out 1/3 of the acceptances. Of course, that's not this year...

I'm also pretty sure Taquaticus is right from what I remember of the post-interview talk. I don't remember explicitly what was said, but I did remember thinking that my best chance of hearing something good was in March.

Hey you all, has anyone who interviewed late january heard back yet? I'm sure I'm just getting anxious...

I interviewed 1/25 and haven't heard anything back yet. Not even the update email a lot of people seemed to have received.

Anyone else?

I interviewed 1/25 and haven't heard anything back yet. Not even the update email a lot of people seemed to have received.

Anyone else?

Yep. I haven't heard of anyone from Jan/Feb interviews who have gotten anything though. Or, am I wrong?

Anyone else?

Interviewed same day and the same thing goes here. Never got the email either so I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

Would you guys say research is more important than clinical experience for Baylor? I'm an undergrad

They have filled 2/3 of the class as of mid February, according to the Dean. I don't know about now.

2/3 sound about right, i'm guessing 40-60 more seats are open right now, but there should be more as people withdraw in april/may/june...

If 2/3 of the class is filled isn't that still very few? Because they have to fill about 2x the class size in order to get a full yield. Assuming 50% of accepted matriculate.

Would you guys say research is more important than clinical experience for Baylor? I'm an undergrad

no. for every school, i would say clinical experience (volunteering in a hospital or w/patients or shadowing physicians) >>>>> research experience

So is the consensus that most of the decisions are coming out this week? I know they met on Fri to compose the final ranking list since interviews finished over a week ago.

Here's to hearing some good news this week! :luck:

Hoping for some good news soon. C'mon Baylor don't deny our love :love:

Who/where/how do we send letters of intent? I was thinking of calling but I vaguely recall them saying not to.

Thats basically what I remember too. They said something like everyone is already ranked so they make no difference. If anyone knows better chime in

Thats basically what I remember too. They said something like everyone is already ranked so they make no difference. If anyone knows better chime in

I was told by adcom of the same thing.

After you interview, you are put on a ranked list. Anything you send in after that probably won't change your rankings, unless you published a paper in Nature or something (this was given as an joke example by one of the med students).

Your updates/letters will get put into your file. If at a time they need to differentiate candidates with the same rank, then then they'll reopen your files and that's potentially when letters/updates can make a difference. Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard any decisions yet this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.