You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Anyone think there will be another wave of II's soon sometime this month?
According to their website: "Invitations to interview are issued throughout the September-to-April interview season."
And looking at last year's thread, applicants received interview invites throughout January and February. Stay positive!
Hello, everyone!
I am a junior ('14) at Dartmouth College and have been reading this thread off and on during the cycle, and it sounds like it's a long road for all of you! Can't believe they take so long to reply to everyone who interviews, but it will be worth the wait! Dartmouth is such a wonderful place with so much tradition, and I volunteer at DHMC every week, which is an awesome hospital! Best of luck to all of you, and I hope all of you who are accepted come to Geisel in the fall! 🙂 🙂 You will LOVE IT here! Beautiful & safe area, all the amenities you could need, extremely livable place, spirited undergraduate campus, and a brand new biomedical library on its way! I heard from a friend of mine at Geisel that you even get to do rotations in California and Arizona which is so awesome! 🙂🙂🙂
I am a junior ('14) at Dartmouth College and have been reading this thread off and on during the cycle, and it sounds like it's a long road for all of you! Can't believe they take so long to reply to everyone who interviews, but it will be worth the wait! Dartmouth is such a wonderful place with so much tradition, and I volunteer at DHMC every week, which is an awesome hospital! Best of luck to all of you, and I hope all of you who are accepted come to Geisel in the fall! 🙂 🙂 You will LOVE IT here! Beautiful & safe area, all the amenities you could need, extremely livable place, spirited undergraduate campus, and a brand new biomedical library on its way! I heard from a friend of mine at Geisel that you even get to do rotations in California and Arizona which is so awesome! 🙂🙂🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does Dartmouth accept pre interview updates?
Yes
Aww shuckyducky
Was looking through last years threads and one dude was waitlisted 4/30. I hope that was an error. I wonder when Dartmouth starts letting people know their status?
Did nano ever ask when the bulk if things will come out?
Is there really going to be a "bulk" of decisions?
Is there really going to be a "bulk" of decisions?
Well from what I understood they said January will be when rejections/waitlists come out. So I guess?
Well from what I understood they said January will be when rejections/waitlists come out. So I guess?

Omg accepted!!! Interviewed dec. Soo excited!!
congrats! When in December did you interview?
Omg accepted!!! Interviewed dec. Soo excited!!
Congratulations!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats! When in December did you interview?
Thanks! It was the last day before they went on break for the holidays.
Thanks! It was the last day before they went on break for the holidays.
Oh wow congrats... guess your file didn't go to committee... I interviewed a couple of days before that and haven't heard back yet. Did you find out via snail mail? I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed still or pray I don't get a rejection email!

I was hoping someone could give me some insight into the admission process. So based on what I read Darmouth receives your application and either one of the 1st readers offers you an interview or decides to pass your app onto groups of two to decide whether or not to give you an interview. Those who decide to offer you an interview don't give you a score. You have 2 interviews and each interviewer grade your app and interview giving you a composite score. Those with excellent scores are accepted right away (usually within 2 weeks) and not discussed at the meeting. Those with "good" scores are discussed and voted. Those who get more yes than no are likely to be accepted sometime in the future or at least waitlisted. While those who get no's will be rejected?
Been laying low, but same here. Found out on Friday. Can't believe I got in!
Congratulations!
Been laying low, but same here. Found out on Friday. Can't believe I got in!
If you don't mind can you tell us when time you interviewed? thanks and congrats!
are there alot of people who interview before thanksgiving who still have yet to hear?
Yes, almost all of us.
Yes, almost all of us.
I'm getting a feeling a lot of us gonna get hit with the waitlist soon 🙁 I feel like they reviewed our apps and got put on a lower ranking.
I'm getting a feeling a lot of us gonna get hit with the waitlist soon 🙁 I feel like they reviewed our apps and got put on a lower ranking.
such a pessimist.
So did Dartmouth help write up parts of the ACA?
And do they help the underserved?
And do they help the underserved?
Is this true? Dartmouth wrote portions of the ACA?
Sorry for the ignorance, but what other things make Dartmouth stand out?
Do they focus on helping the underserved? I looked around their website and it didn't seem like they are focused on that.
So did Dartmouth help write up parts of the ACA?
And do they help the underserved?
The Dartmouth Institute (TDI), yes.
Read at the bottom of this page: http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/ed_programs/tdi/
Basically, TDI is a major academic center on health care policy. If you have a strong desire to study policy, the combined MD/MS or MD/MPH between Geisel and TDI is a great combination.
Also of note, TDI is most known for publishing The Dartmouth Atlas, which demonstrates the availability and use of medical resources throughout the nation. It is often referenced in health care policy research.
I hope you are wrong!!
Does dartmouth reject people post interview or is everyone told they are on the waitlist even though they don't have a shot of being accepted? Does anyone know when they start waitlisting/rejecting those who interviewed? thanks.
Looking at the previous thread, I think it came around early Feb. Also from the SDN sample size no one was rejected. They could possibly reject but just not the people on SDN.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just submitted an update letter/LOI by email, but forgot to fill in the subject line. Will this be viewed as negatively as an egregious typo? If so, how much have I f***ed my already poor chances at this school?
I just submitted an update letter/LOI by email, but forgot to fill in the subject line. Will this be viewed as negatively as an egregious typo? If so, how much have I f***ed my already poor chances at this school?
I think you'll be alright. That's hardly a large mistake.
Looking at the previous thread, I think it came around early Feb. Also from the SDN sample size no one was rejected. They could possibly reject but just not the people on SDN.
Nope. They've already rejected some applicants. The accept the top of the pile and reject the bottom concurrently. Maybe the rejected applicants just don't post about it.
Due to a recent acceptance I have decided to cancel my interview and withdrawal my app from this awesome school. Hopefully someone else can get that interview spot. Good luck to all of you in this thread!
Read your MD apps, you have a heck of a story man. Congrats on your acceptance, you deserve it.
Does anyone know how flexible/easy it is to choose where you go for your clerkships that are away from Dartmouth? I am from SF. Would it be possible to spend 6months-1year at Dartmouth's affiliated hospitals out there during year 3/4, or is that not likely?
Does anyone know how flexible/easy it is to choose where you go for your clerkships that are away from Dartmouth? I am from SF. Would it be possible to spend 6months-1year at Dartmouth's affiliated hospitals out there during year 3/4, or is that not likely?
I dont go there but when I interviewed there, my host said you could most likely get a few months of away rotations, but he hasent heard of anyone doing an aware rotation for a long time.
I think its based on a lottery system so probly a lot of people would try to get away,making it harder to secure it for a long time.
Does anyone know how flexible/easy it is to choose where you go for your clerkships that are away from Dartmouth? I am from SF. Would it be possible to spend 6months-1year at Dartmouth's affiliated hospitals out there during year 3/4, or is that not likely?
It's almost impossible to actually stay at Dartmouth for all of third year. Unless you have kids, expect to spend time at other sites. Rotations at CPMC (San Francisco) are available for all the clerkships except for surgery and the outpatient half of pediatrics. That being said, it's a lottery system and it would be very unlikely for you to spend most of your third year there. I spent 3 months in California and that's probably pretty typical. The other wrinkle is that you currently have to fly back to Dartmouth in between rotations (hopefully will change soon) so it could get pretty expensive to do a lot of rotations in San Francisco. Doing a couple of clerkships (6-8 weeks each) at CPMC is likely to be very doable, and maybe more if the lottery goes your way.
X
Last edited:
on interview day I know they mention that most wouldn't hear back until after January, nut did they say when a majority of the decisions would be made by?
Looking at the previous thread, a lot of decisions were made on the 31st and febuary 7th or 9th.
So I guess around then.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so a lot of people who interviewed before THanksgiving have yet to hear any news?
yes
so a lot of people who interviewed before THanksgiving have yet to hear any news?
Dartmouth takes a long time to hand out decisions. Last cycle, I interviewed in early September. I didn't receive news of my acceptance until late March, I believe.
Just got an interview here!!!!
😀😀😀😀😀
Anyone know whether they reject post interview or just waitlist?
Also do they accept post interview updates?
😀😀😀😀😀
Anyone know whether they reject post interview or just waitlist?
Also do they accept post interview updates?
Congrats! May I ask when you were complete?
ii today, complete first week of august
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 351
- Views
- 80K