2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
would a post interview letter of interest be meaningful with regards to acceptance at a school like dartmouth where they give you a number and then rank you? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

NOOOOO that means mine is coming. Damn, this week sucks as far as pre-interview rejections go. Not to sound stalkerish NCPremed, but it seems like you and I were both in the "don't reject right away, re-review after Thanksgiving" piles at a few schools and I was hoping for the best for both of us!

Haha, I noticed the same about you. I hope for all of you that your applications are now in a different pile from mine! :luck:

So I was complete on the 7th of November and just received an II today. It's weird because considering how long people have been waiting, I was expecting to wait for a couple of months.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was complete on the 7th of November and received an II today. This is weird because considering how long people have been waiting, I was expecting to wait for a couple of months.

:oops:
So I was complete on the 7th of November and just received an II today. It's weird because considering how long people have been waiting, I was expecting to wait for a couple of months.

ii Today too! Though I was complete back in august. So excited!!

I submitted back in August, and I still haven't heard anything yet by email. I sent them an update letter in October, which I got a response to, saying they updated my file. Are we able to directly check our status on the website somehow?

Interviewing here next week. I've been researching the school, its curriculum, opportunities and I am left in awe. What an awesome school with SO MANY opportunities! CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT.

does anyone know when post interview rejections start to come out?

I'm in the same situation as you. I haven't heard back since my submission in August.

Interviewing here next week. I've been researching the school, its curriculum, opportunities and I am left in awe. What an awesome school with SO MANY opportunities! CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT.

Long time lurker here, first time poster. I just wanted to say that I absolutely loooved it when I went for my interview. I'm sure it will be just as beautiful if there's snow on the ground. I really liked that they gave all the information in the morning, before the interviews, so I had time to develop any questions for my interviewers.

I had a student interviewer who had read my application and was super complimentary. We had a really nice conversation and had some stuff in common. My second interview was with a faculty who had not read my application, but she was also very pleasant (basic: tell me about yourself, why medicine, why Dartmouth). I made sure to ask the students I met if they knew my interviewers beforehand - so I knew what to expect.

Anyway. Complete 7/19, interviewed 9/20, accepted 10/15. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker here, first time poster. I just wanted to say that I absolutely loooved it when I went for my interview. I'm sure it will be just as beautiful if there's snow on the ground. I really liked that they gave all the information in the morning, before the interviews, so I had time to develop any questions for my interviewers.

I had a student interviewer who had read my application and was super complimentary. We had a really nice conversation and had some stuff in common. My second interview was with a faculty who had not read my application, but she was also very pleasant (basic: tell me about yourself, why medicine, why Dartmouth). I made sure to ask the students I met if they knew my interviewers beforehand - so I knew what to expect.

Anyway. Complete 7/19, interviewed 9/20, accepted 10/15. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

do you posting your stats? thanks

does anyone know when post interview rejections start to come out?

Probably not until spring. Right now they are probably deciding who to accept. I think between january to march is when most acceptances will go out. Although it seems like a handful of people have already been accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Can someone explain to me what Dartmouth's "conversational leadership" means? I'm so confused on what they're even talking about in that section.

Also, I'm doing research to prepare for my interview but I'm wondering if I can get some more opinions on what makes this school great? So far I have:

Diversity in education: Clinical rotations in different areas
Lots of volunteering: Cool volunteering opportunities (wilderness response)
Lots of research
Teaches students to be leaders (even though their explanation is confusing)

Can anyone point out anymore things that are good about the school? Thanks!

Can someone explain to me what Dartmouth's "conversational leadership" means? I'm so confused on what they're even talking about in that section.

Also, I'm doing research to prepare for my interview but I'm wondering if I can get some more opinions on what makes this school great? So far I have:

Lots of research

It's where Dr. Seuss got his MD. Green eggs and ham, yo.

Lots of research

The obvious one left out is The Dartmouth Institute: basically Dartmouth is huge on health policy. They wrote some of the ACA.

Also, don't worry about conversational leadership. I was confused at first but realized on interview day, no one knows what it means. It's a vision the Dean has, but that doesn't spill over into admissions.

The obvious one left out is The Dartmouth Institute: basically Dartmouth is huge on health policy. They wrote some of the ACA.

Also, don't worry about conversational leadership. I was confused at first but realized on interview day, no one knows what it means. It's a vision the Dean has, but that doesn't spill over into admissions.

Do you think it will count against me if I'm not really interested in TDI? I'm not really big into healthcare policy so I feel dishonest speaking about it.

Do you think it will count against me if I'm not really interested in TDI? I'm not really big into healthcare policy so I feel dishonest speaking about it.

No. My interviewer felt very strongly about physicians being physicians whom practice medicine, and leaving policy up to others.

No. My interviewer felt very strongly about physicians being physicians whom practice medicine, and leaving policy up to others.

Completely disagree. If you're going to be a physician practicing within the realm of current policy, that means it will affect you every day, and it will affect how you can provide care to patients. It's ignorant and unrealistic to say that doctors should stay out of health policy discussion and reform.

completely disagree. If you're going to be a physician practicing within the realm of current policy, that means it will affect you every day, and it will affect how you can provide care to patients. It's ignorant and unrealistic to say that doctors should stay out of health policy discussion and reform.

+1

No. I think the best policy is to always stay honest and positive. You can only come across as genuine when you speak of those things you truly have a passion for. Stick to your passions and that should be good enough.

Completely disagree. If you're going to be a physician practicing within the realm of current policy, that means it will affect you every day, and it will affect how you can provide care to patients. It's ignorant and unrealistic to say that doctors should stay out of health policy discussion and reform.

+2

It's amazing how little some folks that want to spend their lives in this system know about health care policy.

would a post interview letter of interest be meaningful with regards to acceptance at a school like dartmouth where they give you a number and then rank you? thanks

If I remember correctly, the admissions committee re-reviews applicants' files a few times, so I'd say it can't hurt. I sent them a post-interview letter of interest last cycle.

What a beautiful school. :) I really hope I get in!!! :xf:

Has anyone tried to call pre-interview and ask if they could get an update on their status?? tempted... complete since 9/7

does anyone know if mass acceptances/rejections will go out in january?

Does dartmouth only send out acceptances on Fridays? thanks.

what are the most popular specialties here, or do most people go into primary care? is it possible to find the match list online? thank you

For anonymity, recent match results are not available without a log in. To get a general idea, here is a compilation of match results from '03-'07. I had to use the Wayback Machine

DMS Match Results 2003-2007

does anyone know when first post-interview rejections come out? thanks.

does anyone know when first post-interview rejections come out? thanks.

I remember the dean telling us that it will vary based on how strong of an applicant you are. The best and worst hear back first with acceptances and rejections and they work their way from top to bottom so the ones in the middle of the ladder will have to wait a while.

The wait is killing me here. I have been complete since early September and haven't heard anything. I've noticed that the schools in the Northeast seem to be taking the longest to get back to me, unfortunately including Dartmouth...my top choice. :(

i was wondering if someone could help me out. Who was the nice lady in the admission office that greeted the interviewees and took us to the hospital? Was her Whitney and is that who we send the thank you notes to if our interviewers didn't give us his or her contact information directly? thanks.

i was wondering if someone could help me out. Who was the nice lady in the admission office that greeted the interviewees and took us to the hospital? Was her Whitney and is that who we send the thank you notes to if our interviewers didn't give us his or her contact information directly? thanks.

Her name is Joan Mannix (check spelling). She's the nicest person ever.

Interview invite today
I was complete mid-July!

Status
Not open for further replies.