2012-2013 Dartmouth Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview invite just now. Complete wayyyyy back in the summertime; I can't say exactly when, but I had my committee letter at AMCAS available for download on June 11th and had a two day turnaround on this secondary. Will be withdrawing, however, because I have an acceptance I favor more. Good luck to everyone else. There's still hope for us summer completes!
 
Hmm, not encouraging that Dartmouth is sending II's to people complete very early (probably means they've decided to skip me over). But there does seem to be a handful of applicants who have declined their II's. So pick me!! 😛 I will go! :laugh:
 
Interview invite just now. Complete wayyyyy back in the summertime; I can't say exactly when, but I had my committee letter at AMCAS available for download on June 11th and had a two day turnaround on this secondary. Will be withdrawing, however, because I have an acceptance I favor more. Good luck to everyone else. There's still hope for us summer completes!


what dates were they offering you? thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm, not encouraging that Dartmouth is sending II's to people complete very early (probably means they've decided to skip me over). But there does seem to be a handful of applicants who have declined their II's. So pick me!! 😛 I will go! :laugh:

I'll go with you! 😛
 
if they are sending waitlists they must be rejecting people post interview? since their have been so few waitlists posted maybe its a good sign for those waitlisted.
 
Has there been anyone who has not heard from Dartmouth at all since the submission their secondaries? If I do not have an II or a rejection notification, does that mean it is a silent rejection???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you REALLY want Dartmouth, and you can explain your reasons REALLY well, then a letter of interest before or after the interview or waitlist could be VERY helpful. The fact that you would love to attend Dartmouth means a lot to them. Generic arguments like "I like skiing" or "I like your hospital" or "I like your curriculum" don't usually cut it, but if you REALLY wanted Dartmouth, for whatever reason, you would know how to convince the admissions committee. Sorry for the caps but they do hold meaning. Best of luck everyone.
 
I sent a letter of interest. Maybe I failed to convey my interest strongly enough...
Is there any way to know how many IIs are left?
 
I emailed a letter and didn't get a reply email saying they received it. Anyone get an email response just saying they received it?
 
I sent a letter of interest. Maybe I failed to convey my interest strongly enough...
Is there any way to know how many IIs are left?

This is excerpted from the Dartmouth website:
Applications are reviewed from September through April. You will be notified by email when a decision is reached regarding an interview. Invitations to interview are issued throughout the September-to-April interview season at the discretion of the Committee. Approximately 800 individuals are invited for interviews in Hanover. The Committee considers it beneficial both for the student and for the School to conduct all interviews in Hanover.

I interviewed in November, and there were about 30 students or so on my day--one of the bigger interview groups I've been with, but I really liked the faculty and the very small size of the student body, which is why this school is still very high on my list, and I would visit for second look if there is one.
 
II late January- I was complete late July! Dates offered were all in the month of Feb, so I think there are probably still invites on the way (considering their website states that the interview season goes until April) 🙂
 
Does anyone know the last interview date. Based on what we were told on Interview day it seemed that a third were accepted, third rejected, and third waitlisted. but no one last year got off the waitlist, yet they made 300 acceptances and interviewed about 600. So is the waitlist a bad thing?
 
dang, I'm pretty sure I interviewed on the first date possible in September and I've yet to hear anything. Not sure if this bodes well or not.

I think you have a lot of company. I interviewed 10/23, and haven't heard. I think this simply means we weren't amazing enough for an automatic acceptance, but also desirable enough to hold off rejection/waitlisting. If you look in the old threads, they always say, if you haven't heard back yet, its a good thing.
 
Last edited:
I think you have a lot of company. I interviewed 10/23, and haven't heard. I think this simply means we were amazing enough for an automatic acceptance, but also desirable enough to hold off rejection/waitlisting. If you look in the old threads, they always say, if you haven't heard back yet, its a good thing.

I remember the dean of admissions saying exactly that - if you hear nothing, then that is a good thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember the dean of admissions saying exactly that - if you hear nothing, then that is a good thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4

dang I got waitlisted a few weeks ago. I felt like I didnt do so well with my interview with andy, but I did much better with my other interviewer.

Hope spots open up on the waitlist.
 
dang I got waitlisted a few weeks ago. I felt like I didnt do so well with my interview with andy, but I did much better with my other interviewer.

Hope spots open up on the waitlist.

i withdrew from my acceptance last week..hope one of u gets in if it's their number one choice...it's a beautiful school...but after 4 yrs of undergrad, im kinda ready for a change (this winter honestly made me make up my mind)
 
i withdrew from my acceptance last week..hope one of u gets in if it's their number one choice...it's a beautiful school...but after 4 yrs of undergrad, im kinda ready for a change (this winter honestly made me make up my mind)

lol, where'd you get into if you don't mind me asking?
 
so dartmouth is clearly sending IIs still.. but has anyone received any (pre-interview) rejections lately? just wondering if it means anything that I haven't heard from them?
 
Last edited:
2 questions - are people finding out they're wait listed via email? Or is the online application status being updated? Also, does anyone know when the last day for decisions is? Thanks!
 
It doesn't appear anyone gets rejected based on this thread and last years thread following an interview. Does anyone have any clue about how the waitlist works. They say its not ranked so does that mean a december waitlist is just as good as a march waitlist? Based on there "no news is good news" I would think that a later waitlist is better but that would contradict what they say.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It doesn't appear anyone gets rejected based on this thread and last years thread following an interview. Does anyone have any clue about how the waitlist works. They say its not ranked so does that mean a december waitlist is just as good as a march waitlist? Based on there "no news is good news" I would think that a later waitlist is better but that would contradict what they say.

I believe that applicants are given a sort of batting average. I thought waitlisted applicants have such a number as well, but you mention that they claim the waitlist is unranked.

If it is unranked, I think the best way to increase your chances would be to show genuine interest in attending via an update.
 
It doesn't appear anyone gets rejected based on this thread and last years thread following an interview. Does anyone have any clue about how the waitlist works. They say its not ranked so does that mean a december waitlist is just as good as a march waitlist? Based on there "no news is good news" I would think that a later waitlist is better but that would contradict what they say.

It seems like very few people responded with acceptance in last years thread and it was never all at once. They are spread out here and there on random days with the most coming in March.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.