2012-2013 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how to fill-out an ongoing "Employment Experience"? It won't let me submit the page without an end-date and won't take a written phrase

Put August 2013. You know, when you'll have to leave to go to Medical School?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else noticed that when they preview their supplement before submitting it, some of the essays are in the wrong places/ missing?

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think I may have put a date in the future (if that's allowed). So maybe June 2013 if you plan to work there until school starts next fall?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
That worked, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason when I preview my pdf prior to submission question 22 (interests in medicine) has been removed and question 20 (most rewarding experience) has been substituted for it. Is anyone else having this problem

Has anyone else noticed that when they preview their supplement before submitting it, some of the essays are in the wrong places/ missing?

For some reason when I preview my pdf prior to submission question 22 (interests in medicine) has been removed and question 20 (most rewarding experience) has been substituted for it. Is anyone else having this problem

Yes. Per a phone conversation, they are working on a fix.

Yes, I am having very similar problems with the formatting also. Everything is entered in correctly but when I generate the PDF the short essays are either omitted or rearranged.

I submitted a "ticket" about this issue and tech support at the hosting website said that the committee does not look at the PDF - if your data is in the web form, the committee will see it.

GOOD LUCK, GUYS! I logged in today and the new thread activity has got me really excited for all of you!

I've been getting a lot of messages all with variations of the same question: what do "top" schools, specifically, Hopkins, look for in an applicant? Thought I'd just put my thoughts here -- though I don't think I'm necessarily the most qualified to respond (considering how amazingly successful some of my classmates have been with their applications). First, our class is very diverse and people come from all sorts of backgrounds with all kinds of interests. But the impression I got at Hopkins at my interview day, and later upon meeting accepted students at Second Look, was that Hopkins really values a strong sense of social justice and community service. I remember at one point in my student interview I was listing off the various community organizations I've been involved with over the years and my interviewer stopped me and said, "I think you'd be a great fit here." (Totally thought at the time that he was BSing me, but I guess not!) Given Hopkins' location in one of the most poverty-stricken urban areas in the US and its strong (though sometimes misplaced) institutional focus on community betterment, I think applicants who demonstrate strong interest and leadership in community service and social justice issues do well here. Also, the ties with the School of Public Health and the interdisciplinary nature of the GTS curriculum suggest to me that applicants with an existing biopsychosocial/public health/policy lean on medicine are valued.

I'm obviously not affiliated with admissions in any way, though, and these are only my impressions based on my own experiences applying to this school.

Last edited:
Anyone having issues pasting onto the essay section?
I wrote it out on MS word but and copied it, but cannot seem to paste it...
Any help would be much appreciated.

Any reason we shouldn't have received the email yet? I should've had my app submitted on the 29th.

Any reason we shouldn't have received the email yet? I should've had my app submitted on the 29th.

I haven't received an email yet either; also should have had my app transmitted on the 29th. I can access and work on the secondary anyways, though - but I'm wondering what'll happen if I submit before I get an email.

Never mind...
For me, google chrome wasn't working..
I got it fixed on firefox..

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably better we wait to access the secondary when they say we can. Maybe all of the technical issues has delayed their secondary emails. Hopefully tomorrow?

That happened to me. Your essay is too long. They say 900 characters but its really 900 characters + spaces. Try copying and pasting it without the last two sentences you'll see it works.

That happened to me. Your essay is too long. They say 900 characters but its really 900 characters + spaces. Try copying and pasting it without the last two sentences you'll see it works.

I thought that was the reason too originally, but that was not the case..
It just didn't work for me in chrome..
but it works now on firefox.

Can I fill out the secondary before receive an email invitation by them? Is it not good to do so? I'm still waiting my primary to be verified. This year is super slow.

Has anyone submitted yet? I'm reluctant to submit my application until I know that the question which isn't displayed on the pdf isn't going to be dropped.

I submitted yesterday afternoon after I convinced myself that my data was all saved in the web form. I think there is something wrong with their pdf generator.

Does research and tutoring fall under volunteer/community activities??

Absolutely hate how we have to rehash our AMCAS app... not to mention amcas is a bit more user friendly. Incredibly frustrating...

Does Hopkins screen for secondaries? I haven't gotten one yet and was verified June 11?

Hey guys,

have we resolved the essay issue yet? Mine are coming out all weird, like the first shows up for the third essay, and the third essay doesn't show up at all. Do we know if we can submit without that being a problem?

Hey guys,

have we resolved the essay issue yet? Mine are coming out all weird, like the first shows up for the third essay, and the third essay doesn't show up at all. Do we know if we can submit without that being a problem?

I completed everything but the pdf still shows up with problems..
Essays matched with wrong questions and all that...
For the person who asked if Hopkins screen for the secondaries..
I believe they do not..
Maybe someone should call them tomorrow and check out this pdf issues...
I am not submitting mine yet.. just to make sure.

yeah neither am i. I'll wait for confirmation that my essays will get through

Waiting is a good idea because I don't think 1-2 days this early in the application cycle will make any difference. Just FYI, here's the text of the response I received when I contacted tech support:

Thank you for your message.

Please remember that the PDF preview is an unofficial document and usually not used by the institution. They will pull all of your answers directly from the application, into their databases. You can feel confident that your information will reach them correctly as long as the answers in the online form have been completed.

If your online form is due shortly, you may want to check the pages of your form carefully before you submit it to ensure that your answers were saved properly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. Let us know if we can help further.

Regards,
Hobsons Technical Support

Ticket Information:
Ticket #: 10234678
Date Created: 7/03/2012 03:34 PM EDT
Summary: JHU med app question 20
Details: My response to question 20 on the JHU medical school application does not appear in the pdf generated before I submit my application. However, when I reload the page with that question ("Other Experiences and Interests"), my text is present in the response box. I have tried saving my application, logging out and logging back in, and "save and continue"ing my application, but none of these solutions will make my response to question 20 appear in the pdf.

I got the exact same message. I think its safe to submit it....

Waiting is a good idea because I don't think 1-2 days this early in the application cycle will make any difference. Just FYI, here's the text of the response I received when I contacted tech support:

Thank you for your message.

Please remember that the PDF preview is an unofficial document and usually not used by the institution. They will pull all of your answers directly from the application, into their databases. You can feel confident that your information will reach them correctly as long as the answers in the online form have been completed.

If your online form is due shortly, you may want to check the pages of your form carefully before you submit it to ensure that your answers were saved properly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. Let us know if we can help further.

Regards,
Hobsons Technical Support

Ticket Information:
Ticket #: 10234678
Date Created: 7/03/2012 03:34 PM EDT
Summary: JHU med app question 20
Details: My response to question 20 on the JHU medical school application does not appear in the pdf generated before I submit my application. However, when I reload the page with that question ("Other Experiences and Interests"), my text is present in the response box. I have tried saving my application, logging out and logging back in, and "save and continue"ing my application, but none of these solutions will make my response to question 20 appear in the pdf.

I think it should be safe as well. If they pull answers from the database, they may never decide to fix the PDF preview because they don't look at the PDF.

Are the essay prompts the same as last year? Thanks!

Current applicants,

FYI and for what it's worth, Columbia last year had the same issue with their secondary application (they and Hopkins used the same web portal), with one or both essay questions not appearing on the preview PDF. If you're bored, you can see it in the 2011-2012 Columbia thread. In the end, it was a non-issue; as long as your info is saving, it should be safe to submit. Obviously, don't take my word as fact, though.

Good luck!

I still haven't gotten the email inviting me to the secondary. Is anyone else still waiting for their email?

Can anyone post the secondary essay questions?

Can anyone post the secondary essay questions?

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 characters)

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 characters)

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college (600 characters with no hard returns or tabs)

Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (900 characters)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 characters)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (900 characters)

If applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from this experience? (1100 characters)

If applying to the dual MD/MBA program, please describe your reasons for wishing to obtain this degree. (1100 characters)

fyi: even if you haven't received the invitation for the secondary, you can still create an account and start working on it.

That does not seem honest.

Regards,
Vlad

If you are worried about it, you can always start working on the secondary, then submit it once you get the invite. As others have noted, Hopkins does not screen your application at this stage, so barring any major changes in policy, you should feel welcome to turn in the secondary.

Haha yeah they make you re-enter everything, I remember that from last year. If it makes you feel better I basically just cut and pasted the stuff from my AMCAS and everything turned out fine (incoming MS1 here). No idea why they want you to do that. Good luck!

Yeah I did the same as Slev, worked out, incoming M1. I think they do it because it streamlines things for them when they give it to your interviewers. Mine had the printed hopkins app with him at the interview. Its more concise and to the point then having the whole AMCAS. It is a hassle though.

Yeah I did the same as Slev, worked out, incoming M1. I think they do it because it streamlines things for them when they give it to your interviewers. Mine had the printed hopkins app with him at the interview. Its more concise and to the point then having the whole AMCAS. It is a hassle though.

Yeah, I remember this. I think I just took it as an opportunity to discuss some of my activities in greater depth/from a slightly different perspective than what I wrote in AMCAS. Good luck, guys.

And it's nice to see a solid contingent of Med 2016 sticking around on here! Hopefully we'll still have the time once class starts. :laugh:

So anyone still waiting for the secondary invite? I started working on it regardless but kind of wondering if maybe we should call to confirm receipt of AMCAS?

So anyone still waiting for the secondary invite? I started working on it regardless but kind of wondering if maybe we should call to confirm receipt of AMCAS?

If you listed Hopkins on your AMCAS application, I'm sure they're going to receive it. It's too early in the season to be worrying about this :)

A little warning for the next few months - Hopkins is really slow at marking applications as "complete" after you submit your secondary. I think it took me about 2 and a half months from the time I submitted my secondary until I got marked as complete. Another month and a half after that before I was offered an interview.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that JHU does not read the primary application. Seriously, lol.

How am I supposed to enter stop dates for an ongoing activity?

Entering your GPA was mentioned before, but I was wondering if they just want the numbers straight off AMCAS (which includes high school college credits) or just courses in undergrad.

Entering your GPA was mentioned before, but I was wondering if they just want the numbers straight off AMCAS (which includes high school college credits) or just courses in undergrad.

straight off AMCAS should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.