2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone who has received interview invites mind sharing which days they are given? I am thinking of sending an "in the area" email to Loyola so trying to coordinate dates... Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure I broke all the rules when I wrote my essays: I did 25 lines on Word, and then just copied and pasted, so I have no idea how many lines they were in the box; and I forgot to do the double-space thing between paragraphs. I'm banking on their kind, Christian mercy.

I did the same. But the way I see it, if they're not going to give us the courtesy of clear directions, then I'm going to follow them however I see fit. And if I get penalized for it, then this is not a school that I would want to go to.

Obnoxiously unclear secondary instructions aside, I would really love to have an interview here! Come on Loyola!

I did the same. But the way I see it, if they're not going to give us the courtesy of clear directions, then I'm going to follow them however I see fit. And if I get penalized for it, then this is not a school that I would want to go to.

Obnoxiously unclear secondary instructions aside, I would really love to have an interview here! Come on Loyola!

Tough luck, I already called dibs on Loyola. I hear Rosalind Franklin is nice though.

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't say anything about paragraphs in the document i received, just a maximum line limit...
In the email invite it says:

"We are excited that you have chosen to apply to Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. The attached materials will explain the next phase of our application process. It is important that you read all forms carefully, before completing and returning any information to our office electronically.... "

And then in the pdf attached to that email it says:
"In entering you AMCAS ID ....... we ask that you limit your response to a maximum of 2 paragraphs...."

The reason I'm asking is because I feel that my essays will be much clearer with 4 paragraphs instead of 2, but on the other hand, I don't want to look as if I didn't read the directions or don't care about them....

I really like this school!

Oh geez I didn't even notice the paragraph limit too. I'm trying to finish this beast of a secondary, and this has probably been one of the most frustrating ones so far. I think I'm just going to stick to 25 lines and keep my paragraphs the way I had them.

Just received secondary yesterday (submitted 6.29, verified 8.2).

Here is the prompt:

Describe a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced you.

Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.

Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.

Please describe any changes to your AMCAS Application.

Good luck!:)

Describe a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud of, or a person who has influenced you.

Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

Describe how you have dealt with a personal or academic challenge. Focus on what you learned about yourself and how it will help you during the challenges you might face in medical school.

Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?

If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.

Please describe any changes to your AMCAS Application.

For about half of my essays, every time I try to submit one, the page drops out and the forms are just replaced with simple text reading "PB". I'm pretty sure this is because of essay length, as when I just leave a word or two in the box and continue it saves fine. But I'm getting this error with essays that are only a hundred words in length. I've lost an hour or two to this error, has anyone else encountered or overcame it?

yes! i called them and they told me how to fix this: basically, you can't put "--" in your essays you can do dash, space but not two dashes in a row--hope this helps

Phew finally submitted this secondary. I decided to let my paragraphs "blob" in the preview and didn't stick to 2 paragraphs per essay but kept it at ~25 lines. So I guess we'll see how well those decisions turned out based on how fast I get rejected :)

Members don't see this ad :)
In the email invite it says:

"We are excited that you have chosen to apply to Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine. The attached materials will explain the next phase of our application process. It is important that you read all forms carefully, before completing and returning any information to our office electronically.... "

And then in the pdf attached to that email it says:
"In entering you AMCAS ID ....... we ask that you limit your response to a maximum of 2 paragraphs...."

The reason I'm asking is because I feel that my essays will be much clearer with 4 paragraphs instead of 2, but on the other hand, I don't want to look as if I didn't read the directions or don't care about them....

I really like this school!

My PDF attachment doesn't say anything about a limit of 2 paragraphs, just the 25 lines. I got my email end of July though, don't know if they've updated their instructions since then.

Hey future class of 2017! I'm a current Loyola student and I thought I would give some advice that helped me a lot with interviewing and writing my essays for Loyola. This is info from my own experience and info that was provided to me at a Loyola admissions event where the admissions office folks came and spoke with my undergrad.

1. When writing your essay provide evidence. Sure, you like science and you want to help people. Prove it. What in your life/experiences PROVES to the admissions committee that you like science and you like to help people. A big part of the Jesuit tradition is reflection. Prove to the admissions committee you have reflected on your experience and have used that experience as evidence supporting your decision to pursue medicine.

2. The interview day is super relaxed and everyone is super personable. It seemed like they focused on questions related to my relationships with others, my likes, and my dislikes. Examples: "How would your friends describe you?" "What movies do you like?" "What do you do for fun?" "Why do you want to be a doctor?" "What do you think of the current healthcare legislation?" Also, know your personal statement and essays well. I suggest you bring a copy of it with you and read it on breaks. A lot of questions come from that.

3. Know why you want to come to Loyola. Is it the Jesuit tradition? Is it the fact they care for the whole person? Other hospitals also emphasize the whole person. Why is Loyola unique? What is unique about living in Maywood or Chicago?

Hey future class of 2017! I'm a current Loyola student and I thought I would give some advice that helped me a lot with interviewing and writing my essays for Loyola. This is info from my own experience and info that was provided to me at a Loyola admissions event where the admissions office folks came and spoke with my undergrad.

1. When writing your essay provide evidence. Sure, you like science and you want to help people. Prove it. What in your life/experiences PROVES to the admissions committee that you like science and you like to help people. A big part of the Jesuit tradition is reflection. Prove to the admissions committee you have reflected on your experience and have used that experience as evidence supporting your decision to pursue medicine.

2. The interview day is super relaxed and everyone is super personable. It seemed like they focused on questions related to my relationships with others, my likes, and my dislikes. Examples: "How would your friends describe you?" "What movies do you like?" "What do you do for fun?" "Why do you want to be a doctor?" "What do you think of the current healthcare legislation?" Also, know your personal statement and essays well. I suggest you bring a copy of it with you and read it on breaks. A lot of questions come from that.

3. Know why you want to come to Loyola. Is it the Jesuit tradition? Is it the fact they care for the whole person? Other hospitals also emphasize the whole person. Why is Loyola unique? What is unique about living in Maywood or Chicago?

Ace tips, thanks. :D

.5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.

.6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

.My answer to number 6 ..is pretty well covered in my answer to number 5, including a class and some volunteering that I anticipate doing in the fall/spring. I just want to say "See previous question." lol Should I perhaps say I hope to be taking X class in the spring, and I'm enrolled to volunteer with X and Y starting this fall. I feel like doing that would just be really redundant, would it be better to leave the question blank?..

.5. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school? If you are a re-applicant, please tell us how your application has improved since the last time you applied.

.6. Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

.My answer to number 6 ..is pretty well covered in my answer to number 5, including a class and some volunteering that I anticipate doing in the fall/spring. I just want to say "See previous question." lol Should I perhaps say I hope to be taking X class in the spring, and I'm enrolled to volunteer with X and Y starting this fall. I feel like doing that would just be really redundant, would it be better to leave the question blank?..

Question 5 asks what you WILL be doing this coming 11 months prior to matriculation. Question 6 is asking you to bring your AMCAS app up to date. It is not asking what you're going to do; it is asking if anything has changed between when you submitted your primary and now.Did you get an A in a summer class that was in progress during submission and couldn't be on your primary, did you move and thus you need to change your address listed on the AMCAS, or did you do some sort of significant project/volunteering between your primary submission and now. Try to keep your updates and future plans separated between the two questions. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just finished editing my essays and the damn thing won't work. ergh. :confused:

I keep inputting my essays into the box, using either the double space method or the <br/> method and every time I click "save and continue," I just get a blank page with PB on the upper left corner.

Anyone have an idea what is going on with my app? Thanks!

I just finished editing my essays and the damn thing won't work. ergh. :confused:

I keep inputting my essays into the box, using either the double space method or the <br/> method and every time I click "save and continue," I just get a blank page with PB on the upper left corner.

Anyone have an idea what is going on with my app? Thanks!

People like 5 posts above you were having the same problem. I think it's because you have double dashes (--) in there somewhere.

Oh!! I must have read the forum over too quickly and didn't see it!
Thanks! :)

_edit
IT WORKED!

I have applied to 15 schools and this thread is by far the most boring. It has contained the highest percentage of posts relating to simple, trivial technical issues with the secondary.

Let's get some II's Loyola!!!!

Anybody know the turnaround time from AMCAS to secondary invite?
the-ring.jpg

Seven.

(In all seriousness, mine was like 8. As the other more helpful people on this thread have said, they screen, so it varies.)

Does anyone know if/when this school sends rejection e-mails? My status says:
Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.
Not exactly sure what to make of it!

Does anyone know if/when this school sends rejection e-mails? My status says:
Your file has been reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in mid-April. If you are granted an interview, you will be contacted by phone and/or e-mail.
Not exactly sure what to make of it!
that status probably means you're going to be in limbo until next April, unless you get an Interview.

Yeah, that's my gut feeling too. That's rough. :( Thanks for responding though!

When did you submit??

I think I submitted my secondary end of July/beginning of August. My LORs didn't get to the school until like August 7th, so I was probably complete shortly after then.

I submitted 7/24 and I still have the "please allow at least one month for us to download your letters" status. I have no idea why, AMCAS has had my letters since the beginning of June.... this is so frustrating

I've done about 29 secondaries at this point -- a little burned out -- and let me thank Loyola Stritch for actually asking a truly medical scenario based question. It caught me attention immediately, and definitely making me excited about a school that is a total reach for me...but I have good self-esteem. Good luck to everyone, hang in there...

Just got an interview invite today ... actually got a phone call while I was attending another interview and wasn't able to respond but then received a follow-up email.

Umm so whoever said that using Times New Roman 12pt font gave the same line breaks when pasted in the application was incorrect. I wrote 25 lines in MS Word, single spaced 12 pt Times New Roman, and it ended up being 35 lines in the application program. Just a heads up for anyone still working on their secondaries!!!!

Umm so whoever said that using Times New Roman 12pt font gave the same line breaks when pasted in the application was incorrect. I wrote 25 lines in MS Word, single spaced 12 pt Times New Roman, and it ended up being 35 lines in the application program. Just a heads up for anyone still working on their secondaries!!!!

For me it was like 35 lines when you pasted it into that box, but then when you look at the final pdf it was back down to 25 lines. That's why I said what I did :)

For me it was like 35 lines when you pasted it into that box, but then when you look at the final pdf it was back down to 25 lines. That's why I said what I did :)

:eek: Really? Oh man! PHEW! :D I was like nooooooo! to having to get rid of about a third of my essays. Thanks goodness! I'm so glad that you replied so quickly too, I was about to get started on hacking my essays up. lmao Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.