2012-2013 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rejected pre interview

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected pre interview
+1 sigh* only my second rejection out of 14+. I guess they didn't buy the idea that I would be willing to work in rural medicine after living in big cities my whole life.

Really loved the school's mission though and would have loved to visit and express my interest, but looks like primary care mission match alone isn't enough. Good luck to everyone who snagged interviews and congrats to all the acceptees!

Keep on fightin' the good fight :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't seem like there were any calls today.

+1!!!!!!!

Just got called a couple minutes ago: 7:45 EST.

Also interviewed 2/15

:D :highfive: :claps:

Got the call today! Accepted OOS. Interviewed February 15th.

Wow, congratulations! I interviewed on 2/1 and haven't heard back yet. They told our group to wait until April before we start calling the admissions office. Hmmmmmm.

This is my top choice school! I hope to see you guys there!

+1 sigh* only my second rejection out of 14+. I guess they didn't buy the idea that I would be willing to work in rural medicine after living in big cities my whole life.

Really loved the school's mission though and would have loved to visit and express my interest, but looks like primary care mission match alone isn't enough. Good luck to everyone who snagged interviews and congrats to all the acceptees!

Keep on fightin' the good fight :thumbup:

+2 :/ good luck everyone else still hanging in there!!!

If we dont hear back a day before decision day or on decision day does that mean we should expect rejection, waitlist or they just didnt get to our file, or they are going to re-review our file???

Members don't see this ad :)
First time posting! I'm so excited got the call yesterday at around 6:30 pm. Accepted in-state. Interviewed on Feb 22 in EL didn't expect to hear back so soon!

So those of us on pre-interview hold should be hearing something today, right?

I was correct, I got an email today. It wasn't good news and it wasn't bad news, more waiting. :)

First time posting! I'm so excited got the call yesterday at around 6:30 pm. Accepted in-state. Interviewed on Feb 22 in EL didn't expect to hear back so soon!

Congrats!

What'd it say?

It just said please be patient, they are now reviewing those on pre-interview hold. Sounded like I would hear one way or the other by the end of March.

I was correct, I got an email today. It wasn't good news and it wasn't bad news, more waiting. :)

+1 got that email today as well. at first I misread and thought it said by the 'end of Feb' and I was like... soooo I will find out later today?!?! hahaha got a good laugh out of that.

+1 got that email today as well. at first I misread and thought it said by the 'end of Feb' and I was like... soooo I will find out later today?!?! hahaha got a good laugh out of that.

Lol, that would have been a waste of an email. :)

I am relatively happy about the email. I was preparing myself for the rejection letter based on last years trend.

Wow, congratulations! I interviewed on 2/1 and haven't heard back yet. They told our group to wait until April before we start calling the admissions office. Hmmmmmm.

This is my top choice school! I hope to see you guys there!
Thank you and best of luck to you! I am hoping for good news on your end:)

Just withdrew my application from MSU CHM. I was scheduled to interview on March 15th, I hope one of you gets my spot! Good luck to those still waiting pre-interview.

Committee meeting in 1 week!! Good luck to us still waiting!!

Just received the full acceptance email today. Got the acceptance call last week.

Congrats on your acceptance! That's a quick turnaround. Did you already do the Certiphi background check and everything?

Im a California resident. Hispanic with avg stats. 3.7GPA, 30MCAT.
I was looking on this thread and see that this school is in state heavy but does accept some OOS. Are the OOS acceptances usually neighboring states or people with strong state ties?
Like i mentioned, im from CA, with ZERO state ties to michigan. trying to compile my list of schools for the 2013-2014 cycle. if i have a very slim shot i would rather not apply.

Thank you for your help and Honesty. Congrats to everyone who got in here!

I was looking on this thread and see that this school is in state heavy but does accept some OOS. Are the OOS acceptances usually neighboring states or people with strong state ties?
Like i mentioned, im from CA, with ZERO state ties to michigan. trying to compile my list of schools for the 2013-2014 cycle. if i have a very slim shot i would rather not apply.

MSAR is your friend. Nobody knows if they are friendly to CA residents.

I'm from CA and have been accepted. However, I grew up in Michigan and have very strong ties to the state.
I would say they're more about finding students who are the "right fit" with their mission than anything else.

Has anyone got the formal acceptance yet?

I'm still waiting on one as well. It's been about 2 months since I sent out everything they needed. Anyone else waiting for the formal email too?

MSAR is your friend. Nobody knows if they are friendly to CA residents.

I know.....I can tell you that the last two classes have been right about 23% OOS and the lion share have been from CA with most of them having NO ties to MI at all. MSU likes CA students, but as someone else noted, we look for students that fit our mission

I got accepted from MSU back in October. My MCAT is below average, 27R and my gpa is similar to yours as well. I'm from California with no ties whatsoever to Michigan. But I decided to apply to MSU because of its social mission and because it was ranked 6th on the Annals research for social mission. No way did I think I would get an interview let alone an acceptance. I talked to the director/counselor, forgot his position but he stated that a lot of their out of state students are from California because California has a lot of applicants who are competitive. I truly believe they are huge on social mission. I graduated from UCI as a Asian American Studies Major and UCLA for education. I taught 9th grade Algebra at a school located in South Central LA and I think that demonstrated a match with their mission. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I'm still waiting on one as well. It's been about 2 months since I sent out everything they needed. Anyone else waiting for the formal email too?

I just received my formal acceptance letter this week, even though I was accepted via phone call back in early November.
I'd say hang in there!

I know.....I can tell you that the last two classes have been right about 23% OOS and the lion share have been from CA with most of them having NO ties to MI at all. MSU likes CA students, but as someone else noted, we look for students that fit our mission

I stand corrected.

Congrats on your acceptance! That's a quick turnaround. Did you already do the Certiphi background check and everything?
Thank you! Yeah I had the background check from an acceptance at another school that recently came through. My guess is that's why the turnaround was so fast.

Hey Guys,

I am interviewing at Grand Rapids soon. How late does the interview day go, till 5PM? Is a flight at 5:58 PM from GRR cutting it too close?

Hey Guys,

I am interviewing at Grand Rapids soon. How late does the interview day go, till 5PM? Is a flight at 5:58 PM from GRR cutting it too close?

Congrats on your interview!! The day formally "ends" around 4pm, and you can go on the optional tour which goes to 5pm (in which case it might be cutting close). The airport isn't that big at all, so I'd say you'd be okay leaving at 4:30 (just leave the tour early) if your ride isn't late or anything.

Congrats on your interview!! The day formally "ends" around 4pm, and you can go on the optional tour which goes to 5pm (in which case it might be cutting close). The airport isn't that big at all, so I'd say you'd be okay leaving at 4:30 (just leave the tour early) if your ride isn't late or anything.

Thanks.

Is this week spring break for MSU?

Decision day tomorrow! :flame:

If I'm accepted tomorrow, I'm gonna run thru the streets naked.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a Block III calendar. Block I and II spring break is at the normal university time (last week I believe)

Yeah, I know it's block 3, but the block 1 and 2 are google calendars that I can't access-- figured it had to be similar.
Thanks for the correction!

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like there were any phone calls today.

It doesn't seem like there were any phone calls today.

I wouldn't make that assumption a fact, SDNers who read/post on a near daily basis represent maybe 2% of total applicants.

Status
Not open for further replies.