2012-2013 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI... CHM is switching to a multiple mini-interview (MMI) format this year. It should be fun :D.

I'll be starting at MSUCHM in a few weeks, so hit me up if you have any questions! Good luck to everyone :)

I'll be starting at MSUCHM in a few weeks, so hit me up if you have any questions! Good luck to everyone :)

Do they have any secondary essays? Would you be aware of chances for OOS applicants?

I logged in and paid the application fee, but hours later, I am still unable to edit the essays. Is anyone else having this problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
can you please post the secondary essays? thanks!

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn?

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? You are permitted to use an experience included in your AMCAS application, as long as you didn't go into great detail in your AMCAS application (including personal statement and experiences) or in Essay One, or you discuss a different aspect of the experience.

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you?

Each one is 350 words

Anyone having problems paying the application fee after finalizing the secondary? On my account, it keeps declining the payment for "security reasons"

Anyone having problems paying the application fee after finalizing the secondary? On my account, it keeps declining the payment for "security reasons"

nope. give them a call.

So even after using NotePad to convert my text, a "?" showed up where a hyphen should be in one of my answers... am I totally screwed or is this something minor that they will look over?

(It totally wasn't there before I hit submit)

So even after using NotePad to convert my text, a "?" showed up where a hyphen should be in one of my answers... am I totally screwed or is this something minor that they will look over?

I wouldn't worry about it. If they're gonna reject u it's not gonna be because of your hyphen.

I've had this happen in several applications so far - must be a glitch in some common code. I'm sure it's probably not a big deal, but I've been proofreading my essays once I copy-paste them into the form fields.

I've had this happen in several applications so far - must be a glitch in some common code. I'm sure it's probably not a big deal, but I've been proofreading my essays once I copy-paste them into the form fields.

Yeah, I have been doing the same, it's just that this one happened after I clicked submit (as in, I clicked submit then it just turned out that way... mass 130am panic).

Thanks for the info, haha I guess it's because they tell you on the secondary page that it might happen, that I became neurotic and was like.. I'm getting screened out because they think I didn't follow instructions, but I did and this still happened fml.

So I called the admissions office and they don't know about any issues with the system. However, I tried paying with 2 different Mastercards which didn't work. Then I tried a Visa which DID work. Not sure if there's a problem with M/C on their payment tool, but it's worth trying Visa or AmEx if you have issues with M/C.

There is no block on the original M/C card I used because I have since paid for other secondaries without any problems.

Yeah, I have been doing the same, it's just that this one happened after I clicked submit (as in, I clicked submit then it just turned out that way... mass 130am panic).

Thanks for the info, haha I guess it's because they tell you on the secondary page that it might happen, that I became neurotic and was like.. I'm getting screened out because they think I didn't follow instructions, but I did and this still happened fml.

Haha I can def relate - it's probably better to wait until the morning to look over the essays with fresh eyes before submitting, but oh well - I'd rather just get them done

Just in case anyone is having the same problem creating an MSU Community ID like I did, I received an email from MSU, stating:

We have discovered that some browsers are causing issues. Please try Firefox and let us know if you continue to have problems. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you.

I switched over to using Firefox, which worked perfectly.

so once we have submitted our essays and application fee, are we all set? I got a confirmation that I paid the fee (I paid for it before I submitted my essays), but the website would let me pay for the fee again if i wanted to. I didnt really get any confirmation that I'm actually all set with the application itself.

so once we have submitted our essays and application fee, are we all set? I got a confirmation that I paid the fee (I paid for it before I submitted my essays), but the website would let me pay for the fee again if i wanted to. I didnt really get any confirmation that I'm actually all set with the application itself.

same here

same here

I e-mailed the admissions office about this a couple of days ago and they said that it was all set. So if you submitted the essays and paid the fee you should be good. It would allow me to pay a second time if I wanted too as well :)

I e-mailed the admissions office about this a couple of days ago and they said that it was all set. So if you submitted the essays and paid the fee you should be good. It would allow me to pay a second time if I wanted too as well :)

Thanks for the info!

Just to clarify - the button "Mark Essays as Complete" is the button you use to submit, correct? I ask because there was no "Submit" button.

Just to clarify - the button "Mark Essays as Complete" is the button you use to submit, correct? I ask because there was no "Submit" button.

Yes, and pay the fee

For some reason, I am not able to find my Community ID. Anybody else having this problem? Once I log into my account using my email address and password, what am I supposed to do?

For some reason, I am not able to find my Community ID. Anybody else having this problem? Once I log into my account using my email address and password, what am I supposed to do?

I was also confused. Did you create your ID from the create webpage (must follow directions on that webpage in the secondary invite email). Once you do that you go back to the login page and i put in my email and password. worked for me, but it was confusing, i was expecting a number code or something.

How fast is the committee when it comes to reviewing applications and deciding interviews in this month? Anyone know roughly? George Washington has been moving fast, taking only a few days to grant interviews to some applications.
I submitted my secondary today.

Do they have any secondary essays? Would you be aware of chances for OOS applicants?

Yes, there are secondaries, with several short essays. I'm not sure of the exact numbers on OOS students, but they should be listed on the website somewhere

Last edited:
How fast is the committee when it comes to reviewing applications and deciding interviews in this month? Anyone know roughly? George Washington has been moving fast, taking only a few days to grant interviews to some applications.
I submitted my secondary today.

Looking at last year, they were very quick with the applicants who piqued their interest (applicants who had a very good fit to the school and showed specific interest in the school), but that is definitely not to say that people who heard of interviews later were any less desirable. People with later interviews get in too :p Just work on getting that interview at all!

I feel so dumb trying to do this application as an OOS. I just spent the last hour and almost completed their secondary. And according to U.S. News they had 4865 OOS applicants and interviewed 163 of them and accepted 89. They interviewed 3.3% of OOS applicants.

Not to mention in their mission statement first bullet point
"Serve the health care needs of people in the state of Michigan, including those in rural and inner-city areas"

I'll be starting at MSUCHM in a few weeks
songht1.jpg
song2.jpg
song16.jpg
zamz1.jpg

me too :highfive:

Hi,

I received the secondary invite on 07/24 and didn't read it carefully that it was due in 2 weeks from the email. Luckily, I caught it and the secondary wasn't too bad. I completed and submitted my essays yesterday (1 day before the deadline on 08/07).

My question is that MSU has not received my LORs from AMCAS yet. Is it still before the deadline? Am I good?

Also, I'm from CA so not too sure about my chances at MSU...

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi,

I received the secondary invite on 07/24 and didn't read it carefully that it was due in 2 weeks from the email. Luckily, I caught it and the secondary wasn't too bad. I completed and submitted my essays yesterday (1 day before the deadline on 08/07).

My question is that MSU has not received my LORs from AMCAS yet. Is it still before the deadline? Am I good?

Thanks in advance guys!

I am in the same position!

Hi,

Thanks in advance guys!

From what I read in last years thread, the deadline is more of a "recommendation" so it should be okay. If you're really worried about it I'd just email or call them, but I think you're fine.

any interviews out there yet?

I was reading through last years thread and I think there's still a while. Last year I don't think IIs started until the first week or so of September :( (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

Hi,

Thanks in advance guys!

I emailed them about this. As long as you "did your part" and submitted the secondaries, it's ok if the LOR's aren't there yet. But I don't think they review your app until the letters are there.

Anyone having issues creating an ID? The website isn't working for me and I tried different browsers.

-----

EDIT: Nvm! Finally it went through.

Last edited:
I'm now a second year at CHM (wow, that feels crazy to type out!) and I seriously love my school. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot them my way. Good luck!

I'm now a second year at CHM (wow, that feels crazy to type out!) and I seriously love my school. If you have any questions please feel free to shoot them my way. Good luck!
Which campus are you at? I'll be applying next year and i'm currently doing undergrad in East Lansing.

I feel so dumb trying to do this application as an OOS. I just spent the last hour and almost completed their secondary. And according to U.S. News they had 4865 OOS applicants and interviewed 163 of them and accepted 89. They interviewed 3.3% of OOS applicants.

Not to mention in their mission statement first bullet point
"Serve the health care needs of people in the state of Michigan, including those in rural and inner-city areas"

But looks like you have a pretty good chance of acceptance if you get an interview :)

just in case anyone is having the same problem creating an msu community id like i did, i received an email from msu, stating:

we have discovered that some browsers are causing issues. Please try firefox and let us know if you continue to have problems. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you.

i switched over to using firefox, which worked perfectly.
+1

Hi,

Thanks in advance guys!
Same!

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this question from the section for Leadership in Medicine for the Underserved?

"What are the advantages of using a public health approach to maximize individual and population health status?"

Not too sure what it means to "maximize" a "health status."

THANKS!

Which campus are you at? I'll be applying next year and i'm currently doing undergrad in East Lansing.

I'm in Grand Rapids and love it, but both campuses have their perks. It will be tougher for me to get to any football games this year. GO GREEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.