2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got in off the waitlist this morning! OOS (interviewed in late march). Best of luck to those still waiting!!

Congrats! That's great. Do you mind sharing stats/ECs?

I would love to send an LOI but I'm nervous to since they weren't receptive to updates/LOIs. I'm not sure what to do :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Long time reader, first time poster here. Just got accepted of the waitlist yesterday.

My stats are...

OOS non-trad applicant, 3.5 gpa, sub 30 MCAT(verbal sucked), some volunteering, undergrad research with double science major, ER scribe 6months, recent MS biomedical engineering (3.4gpa), worked in engineering field for 2 yrs with extensive clinical interactions, African/African-American (not sure if that matters at all, but just trying to paint the whole picture), interviewed 3/22 waitlisted 4/11, very good interview with high confidence after (really connected with my interviewers, followed up with email to one of my interviewers), and no LOI while on waitlist.

Other than having a good interview, some unique work experiences and a somewhat unique back-story, I didn't expect to be accepted with the rest of my application. I honestly am not exactly sure what these people are looking for. To me, it seems they find the non-trad, older (I'm only 26 though), rural or underserved background types attractive. They seem to believe these people are more likely to go into primary care. Just my opinion based on readings and interaction about Quinnipiac. I just wanted to inform those that are wondering about acceptances, stats and journey of accepted applicants. Good luck to all still seeking acceptance from Quinnipiac!

Sorry for the lengthy post.

COngrats to you! That's fantastic. Are you accepting the acceptance, or choosing other offers (if any)?

Did you guys who were accepted show strong interest for primary care?

I wonder if they want to make sure their quota of PCP's will be met before moving onto those not completely dedicated to PC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time reader, first time poster here. Just got accepted of the waitlist yesterday.

My stats are...

OOS non-trad applicant, 3.5 gpa, sub 30 MCAT(verbal sucked), some volunteering, undergrad research with double science major, ER scribe 6months, recent MS biomedical engineering (3.4gpa), worked in engineering field for 2 yrs with extensive clinical interactions, African/African-American (not sure if that matters at all, but just trying to paint the whole picture), interviewed 3/22 waitlisted 4/11, very good interview with high confidence after (really connected with my interviewers, followed up with email to one of my interviewers), and no LOI while on waitlist.

Other than having a good interview, some unique work experiences and a somewhat unique back-story, I didn't expect to be accepted with the rest of my application. I honestly am not exactly sure what these people are looking for. To me, it seems they find the non-trad, older (I'm only 26 though), rural or underserved background types attractive. They seem to believe these people are more likely to go into primary care. Just my opinion based on readings and interaction about Quinnipiac. I just wanted to inform those that are wondering about acceptances, stats and journey of accepted applicants. Good luck to all still seeking acceptance from Quinnipiac!

Thank you for the honest post! AND HUGE CONGRATS to you!! I deserve it!!.... From what you can tell from the facebook group, do you anticipate there being more movement on the waitlist?

dont know if this will help anyone but i just withdrew off the waitlist here. i have multiple acceptances. good luck!!

Thanks for letting us know! Congrats on your multiple acceptances. Has anyone called the admissions office to see if there will be signficant wait list movement? Good luck to everyone....

Thanks for letting us know! Congrats on your multiple acceptances. Has anyone called the admissions office to see if there will be signficant wait list movement? Good luck to everyone....
Nope, sorry, haven't called...

Question for you accepted off waitlist folks: Well first congrats! So, did you receive a phone call or an e-mail or both? I ask for a friend who is overseas right now.

I was accepted from the wait list yesterday afternoon. Sooo grateful! I'm an in-state non-Trad. Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got off the waitlist today as well! I will most likely accept it - good luck to everyone!

Congratulations everyone! Could you share your stats, ECs, & if you expressed an interest in primary care?

Congratulations everyone! Could you share your stats, ECs, & if you expressed an interest in primary care?

I would say I am non-traditional in the sense that I graduated from undergrad a few years back. I had a low science GPA (I was very unfocused in my first 2 years) but did well in post-bac coursework I completed at local universities (not through any formal program). MCAT 32R, some good ECs including working with under-served populations and clinical research. In my secondary and during interviews I was upfront with the fact that I am interested in other specialties in addition to primary care.

Hope this helps! I know this is going to bum out people who are still on the waitlist but I accepted the offer today and am really excited about the program. Good luck to everyone! :)

Congratulations to the people who have gotten in!

Has anyone called and asked about relative ranking (recently), or are they still not giving this information out?

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on SDN, so I'm hoping for some good luck :thumbup: First off, congratulations to everyone that's been accepted and good luck to anyone who's waiting to hear back! :biglove:

Second, I'm looking for a roommate (female), who either hasn't found an apartment yet or is also looking for a roommate. If anyone is interested, please message me! Thanks!

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on SDN, so I'm hoping for some good luck :thumbup: First off, congratulations to everyone that's been accepted and good luck to anyone who's waiting to hear back! :biglove:

Second, I'm looking for a roommate (female), who either hasn't found an apartment yet or is also looking for a roommate. If anyone is interested, please message me! Thanks!

Do you have Facebook? You should join the charter class' Facebook group. There are discussions like this happening there and a list of other people looking for housing. You can PM me if you want more info.

A few people on the waitlist here were asking for info from the Facebook group to maybe glean some ideas about future waitlist movement. Not sure if this is helpful, but there are currently 49 people in the group right now, and 14 of those members have been added within the last month...most if not all of those are off the waitlist.

Last edited:
Do you have Facebook? You should join the charter class' Facebook group. There are discussions like this happening there and a list of other people looking for housing. You can PM me if you want more info.

A few people on the waitlist here were asking for info from the Facebook group to maybe glean some ideas about future waitlist movement. Not sure if this is helpful, but there are currently 49 people in the group right now, and 14 of those members have been added within the last month...most if not all of those are off the waitlist.

How do you join the FB group?

Any accepted students ask how many spots are now available? I imagine there are people who have accepted the admission offer who don't have FB. Yikes!!

Has anyone been accepted off the wait list this week?

Accepted off the wait-list this morning! Best of luck to all still waiting! :)

Congratulations!! Any advice? Did you recently send a LOI?

Does anyone know how strict they are on the "non-science" faculty letter? I have been out 2 years and the only significant connection I have and had were with the science professors. I have 2 LOR's from Biology professors, 1 from Organic professor, 1 from medical director of major cardiac research lab and 1 from the doctor I work as a medical scribe and med assistant for. Should I just go with these or write admissions? Anyone else in the same spot?

Asking for a friend:

Do you think Quinnipiac is still accepting off of the waitlist? I see that their class of 2017 profile says (as of June 2013) which might imply something.

As a follow up, would updating them on a publication in a high impact journal be advisable?

Class of 2017 profile, where? Do you think they're no longer accepting off the wait list?

Wow thanks. I guess there's no more wait list movement...:( :(

It says

Statistics for Enrolling Students (as of June 2013)

Which I interpret as an hint that they might update the statistics of the class changes, i.e. because of last minute waitlist movement.

Does anyone who got off the waitlist intending on enrolling elsewhere?

Hey I am applying this year. What was the secondary essay prompt for this school?
2012-2013 Netter SOM Secondary Application Essays

Instructions: All applicants must complete question #1. From the remaining four questions, select two additional questions and respond. Your responses to each question cannot exceed 250 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into the fields. The Admissions Committee will only review the responses to three questions.

1. What medical specialty are you considering? What factors have influenced your decision?

2. Describe how you perceive physician interactions with other health care professionals in the care of patients and families.

3. The practice of medicine requires physicians to treat patients from varied backgrounds and diverse communities. Describe your experiences and views about diversity and how you would infuse your thoughts on diversity in your practice of medicine.

4. Describe a recent experience (personal or professional) that challenged your moral values. What was the outcome?

5. What advice would you give to an entering freshman premedical student and why?

Last edited:
Anyone who has been accepted have any advice? Would really really appreciate it.

Accepted today!

I almost couldn't believe it.

Good luck to others still waiting!

Accepted today!

I almost couldn't believe it.

Good luck to others still waiting!

Congratulations! I wish we could get a list of stats for this school. They were not up on MSAR last time I checked. I have a 27 on my MCAT. A 3.78 GPA with a major in Biochemistry and a minor in Psychology. Do they care about URM status? I have 4-5 years of research. 3 years of clinical research. I think that I really want to go into family medicine or pediatrics. Also, I know that Quinnipiac has a special summer program for non-traditional applicants and those who want to integrate themselves into medical school early. I would love to do that. Plus, a small class size would be a perfect fit for me. I also grew up in Connecticut. Quinnipiac is definitely one of my top choices.

My stats are...

Your post was great! Thank you! :)

Tallguy, Congratulations! Do you mind sharing stats, experience, etc? Thank you

Anyone recently accepted off the wait list? Any one receive rejection letters? Thank you

Not to seem pushy (congratulations to all of you!), but do any accepted students have any intention of enrolling elsewhere? My friend is dying to get in :oops:.

No pressure.

for those on wait list.

Log into the application portal, does it say you are on the wait list for 2014 in the wait list tab?

Status
Not open for further replies.