2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drd714

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I thought I'd start this thread because the QU School of Medicine was accredited a few days ago, and they plan to enroll their first class of 60 students in the fall of 2013. They should be up on AMCAS within a few weeks. I love Quinnipiac, so I'm super anxious to apply as soon as the process is up and running.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the stats that they're looking for? Do you have any idea since this will be the first entering class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah lol. I had never heard of the school when I was applying for undergrad, and I found out about it when my boyfriend started his undergrad there. He's in the physical therapy program, starting grad school next semester. The undergrad isn't anything spectacular (just the basics) but their health science program is AMAZING. The professors are so smart and the undergrad to grad health science programs (athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc) are tough.

I'm not sure what they're looking for as far as stats go, but I know they're hoping to make the school focused on primary care. Here's the website: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/academics/colleges-schools-departments/school-of-medicine

I just called their admissions office. The lady speaking was very pleasant and helpful. She stated that the school should be up on AMCAS within a week. I asked her about what scores they are looking for and she said that they use a holistic approach to admitting students so they'll be looking at the entire application not just the MCAT or GPA. I told her my stats (30R and 3.54 gpa) and she encouraged me to apply. I forgot to ask her about their mission on pcps. Neurosurgery is kind of my current dream and I don't know if that'll harm my application there.

Do you know how their campus is? Their facilities? The surrounding neighborhood?

I also asked her about this sentence in their vision statement

"Students in its new medical school will have the opportunity to learn side by side with students in the University's well-regarded health professions programs as they learn to deliver patient-centered care as members of a team that views a patient through a singular lens."

And she said sometimes down the road, PA students might integrate into our education in some way.

ra1zjp.jpg

I just called their admissions office. The lady speaking was very pleasant and helpful. She stated that the school should be up on AMCAS within a week. I asked her about what scores they are looking for and she said that they use a holistic approach to admitting students so they'll be looking at the entire application not just the MCAT or GPA. I told her my stats (30R and 3.54 gpa) and she encouraged me to apply. I forgot to ask her about their mission on pcps. Neurosurgery is kind of my current dream and I don't know if that'll harm my application there.

Do you know how their campus is? Their facilities? The surrounding neighborhood?

"Students in its new medical school will have the opportunity to learn side by side with students in the University's well-regarded health professions programs as they learn to deliver patient-centered care as members of a team that views a patient through a singular lens."

And she said sometimes down the road, PA students might integrate into our education in some way.

Did you ask if their secondary application is a long one with lots of essay questions?

Aww man another school that requires a non science faculty letter.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

lol omg.. I lived in CT when I was little and remember driving past Quinnipiac every time when I visited Sleeping Giant State Park. hahah oh man. good memories.

Back then, it was still Quinnipiac College.

From QUSOM website:

"Letter of Recommendation Requirements for Traditional Applicants
Traditional applicants who will enter medical school directly from a bachelor's degree program with less than a one-year break must submit the following:
-Three individual faculty letters-two letters from basic science faculty, and one from a nonscience faculty member or one premedical/preprofessional composite committee letter.
-One character reference letter that should be from someone who can share information about who you are and your interest in medicine. The writer of the letter may be an employer, mentor, clergy member, health care professional you have shadowed and/or club/organization adviser."

This is the only school I've seen that requires more than just my premed committee letter. Is this character reference letter anyone else has come across?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

From QUSOM website:

Traditional applicants who will enter medical school directly from a bachelor's degree program with less than a one-year break must submit the following:
-Three individual faculty letters-two letters from basic science faculty, and one from a nonscience faculty member or one premedical/preprofessional composite committee letter.
-One character reference letter that should be from someone who can share information about who you are and your interest in medicine. The writer of the letter may be an employer, mentor, clergy member, health care professional you have shadowed and/or club/organization adviser."

This is the only school I've seen that requires more than just my premed committee letter. Is this character reference letter anyone else has come across?

My undergrad used my "character reference" letter in order to construct my committee letter. I wonder if that counts? I'll have to call and ask.

Oh this isn't so bad. I have a pre-med committee letter and a physician letter. Kind of odd though, this is the only MD school that I've come across that needs it. I have the letter for my DO schools.

From QUSOM website:

Members don't see this ad :)
My premed committee letter is constructed around 2 faculty LORs along with the impression from my premed advisor. Appended to the end of the committee letter is a letter from the attending who supervised my ED volunteering along with a letter from a supervisor of my health care related internship. I guess requiring an additional LOR is just Quinnipiac's way of truly being more holistic as it evaluates applicants.

From QUSOM website:

USF Morsani requires two character letters.

I just spoke with admissions, and yes, they do require a fully separate LOR from an outside source such as an employer, doctor you shadowed, etc. They will not accept it as part of your committee letter. Moreover, it has to be submitted through AMCAS, and it cannot be submitted directly from the writer to the admissions office.

I just spoke with admissions, and yes, they do require a fully separate LOR from an outside source such as an employer, doctor you shadowed, etc. They will not accept it as part of your committee letter. Moreover, it has to be submitted through AMCAS, and it cannot be submitted directly from the writer to the admissions office.

Thanks for checking on that.

Ugh, I thought I was done playing the LoRs game, but it seems like I might have to ask for another one to apply here. :rolleyes:

The interview day is a seven-hour visit that consists of the following:

• Overview of diversity and inclusion commitment
  • Two individual faculty interviews
  • Individual interview with student
  • Individual interview with the associate dean for admissions
  • Individual interview with a community-based partner
  • A tour of the campus
  • An overview of the curriculum
  • A visit with the director of financial aid
  • On-site case-based exercise
  • Lunch
Five interviews? :scared: Holy crap. Also what students? There are no med students yet.

Probably health science grad students or something

Theres an information session this upcoming 27th. see you guys there? :thumbup:

Any news when they will be listed on AMCAS so we can apply?

They are listed now! :)

Wish I could go the 27th, but I have to work that day. :thumbdown:

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to a school and be it's first entering class?

On another note, do they accept fee waivers for the secondary?

New caption:

"Thinks medical schools are divided into tiers

Pre-Med."

Hahaha, sorry, I had to do it. Nothing against you! I just think tiers are stupid, and you should apply to the school that appeals to you.

Anyway, I applied here. CT resident, 31P, 3.97 cGPA. I currently work as an adjunct at nearby Southern CT. State U., and so I'm taking a faculty tour of the facilities this week. Seems like a great place, and how exciting to be a charter student! Best of luck.

Do you think it's a good idea to apply to a school and be it's first entering class?

IMO: I think as long as you agree with the school's mission and are interested in the developments that are coming to the school then why not apply. Only thing to watch for in new schools is funding issues (ie. TCMC). But Quinnipiac is a well established university that can support a med school until the SOM becomes self sustaining.

I'm personally excited as a CT resident that there is another local school for me to apply to and hope I get a chance to interview here. I plan to attend the November 14 open house. Anyone else?

I'm personally excited as a CT resident that there is another local school for me to apply to and hope I get a chance to interview here. I plan to attend the November 14 open house. Anyone else?

Likewise. I'm really excited about this school. Diggin' St. V's for rotations as well. :D I'm hoping to go on the Nov. 14th date, too!

New caption:

"Thinks medical schools are divided into tiers

Pre-Med."

Hahaha, sorry, I had to do it. Nothing against you! I just think tiers are stupid, and you should apply to the school that appeals to you.

It was just a title and you are reading too much into it.

On a serious note, my wife and I would be very happy to go here and be relatively close to home. :xf:

From their website, "Secondary application fee of $85 or AMCAS Fee Assistance Program (FAP) waiver documents."

anybody get a response after submitting amcas yet?

i'd love to go here.

Submitted my AMCAS earlier today but nothing yet! Really excited about the program here :)

Yeah lol. I had never heard of the school when I was applying for undergrad, and I found out about it when my boyfriend started his undergrad there. He's in the physical therapy program, starting grad school next semester. The undergrad isn't anything spectacular (just the basics) but their health science program is AMAZING. The professors are so smart and the undergrad to grad health science programs (athletic training, physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc) are tough.

I'm not sure what they're looking for as far as stats go, but I know they're hoping to make the school focused on primary care. Here's the website: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/academics/colleges-schools-departments/school-of-medicine
I agree that the health sciences are outstanding here, but I would say their undergrad is more than just average. On the US news Northern regional colleges, they are ranked 13th, this puts it ahead of schools like Pratt, Bryant, and Rowan (who also has a medical school). I went to school in CT, and Qunnipiac was highly regarded, and was one of the top choices among students that didn't quite make the cut for Yale.

That said, where they really make their mark is in allied health professions, they are ranked 11th in Physician Assistant Programs, ahead of major names in the area (Yale, Cornell etc). They also are the only NE school to have an AA program, and they also have cardiac perfusion, radiology tech, etc.

This is where their "integrated learning environment comes in" When students study subjects that have crossover with their other graduate programs, they will learn together (e.g. PA's are being moved to the New Haven facility,and will share anatomy labs, clinical, and other lectures with med students.)

There is a video where the president talks about this in detail somewhere, they say something like, "Allied health professionals will need to work together in practice, and our curriculum teaches them to do that from the very beginning..." IMHO This could work well or it could be a disaster. It all depends on how integrated the school makes things. This is one of the things I would be very interested in hearing more about.

Quotes from the Dean:
"We will train medical students with nursing students, physician assistant students because healthcare more and more is a team activity," said Dr. Bruce Koeppen, Dean, Frank H. Netter School of Medicine.

Also, they have a strong primary care objective, and will reserve scholarships for those entering primary care and remaining in primary care for five years after graduation (according to an early interview). I don't know if this is their long term goal, but this is the loop hole most new schools have to jump through in order to receive LCME accreditation.

"Right now if you look at the national statistics about 15 percent of current medical students are planning a career in primary care," said Koeppen. "We hope that 50 percent or more of our graduates will go into primary care."

http://youtu.be/FQx4Y4qm-8M

What do people think about St. Vincent's as the major clinical affiliate? It only has a limited medicine residency and diagnostic rads. Isn't that pretty limited for clinicals? Isn't it better if they were to partner with a hospital with a variety of residencies? There are hospitals like Danbury hospital that are community hospitals with bigger residency programs and no major affiliation.

Has anyone heard anything about when the secondary for this school is coming out?

I sent primary first day possible, still no secondary yet.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Um seriously , quinnipac undergrad in the same sentence as Yale.... The kids in Ct who can't make it to Yale usually go for wesleyan, trinity, and conn college before quinnipac. Quin is third tier..

applied on the 19th. They screen presecondary according to their viewbook.

Guys stop bumping this thread. Otherwise more people will see that this school just now starting accepting applications and EVERY1 will apply and add this school. ;)

Lets make a deal to only bump this thread to the top once a week lol on a thursday night at 4 a.m. when few SDNers are online

I really don't want this school to turn into another New York Medical College or Albany Medical College, where they receive 10K+ apps because they have "less selective numbers" and they don't have any instate bias.

Lets try to keep this school our little secret at least for this app year!

JK or am I?

What are you doing!!! It's Saturday night! Idk if others are but my university's on fall break. We can't let others see this.

applied on the 19th. They screen presecondary according to their viewbook.

Guys stop bumping this thread. Otherwise more people will see that this school just now starting accepting applications and EVERY1 will apply and add this school. ;)

Lets make a deal to only bump this thread to the top once a week lol on a thursday night at 4 a.m. when few SDNers are online

I really don't want this school to turn into another New York Medical College or Albany Medical College, where they receive 10K+ apps because they have "less selective numbers" and they don't have any instate bias.

Lets try to keep this school our little secret at least for this app year!

JK or am I?

Status
Not open for further replies.