2012-2013 Texas Tech - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
another factor that i'm considering is the possibility of having to relocate to another city after 2 years.

Does anyone know the chances of being able to remain in Lubbock if you're not married? (family and home is here though)

Members don't see this ad.

another factor that i'm considering is the possibility of having to relocate to another city after 2 years.

Does anyone know the chances of being able to remain in Lubbock if you're not married? (family and home is here though)

It's certainly possible. Not everyone who stays in Lubbock have a family, but most do.

I think it depends on how well you explain your reason for staying in Lubbock on the form they ask you to fill out. I can say is that you'll be given somewhat more of a priority than those students who say they like the bars better in Lubbock but less of a priority than those who have a wife working in Lubbock and 5 kids in school there.

I think most of the Lubbock natives I know were assigned to Lubbock but I don't know everyone :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone filled out the CBC yet? If so, do the results get automatically forwarded to admissions?

Has anyone filled out the CBC yet? If so, do the results get automatically forwarded to admissions?

Yea, I would think so. They can send you a copy via email if you request it though.

Do we have to have the background check done before match?

Should I be expecting anything in the mail from Lubbock? I prematched on the 15th and paid the $100 online to hold my seat.

Thanks!

I never got a pre-match offer, but this school shows up on TMDSAS when I go to "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal."

Does every school you interviewed at show up under "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal" or is this some sort of mistake? Anyone else have this?

Finally got called back on this and was told that what was on TMDSAS was a mistake and that they have not sent me a pre-match :(

For everyone else who's interviewed but not heard back, they said they will send (roughly) two more batches of pre-match offers: one next week (roughly early december), and one roughly the week before the holidays.

Finally got called back on this and was told that what was on TMDSAS was a mistake and that they have not sent me a pre-match :(

For everyone else who's interviewed but not heard back, they said they will send (roughly) two more batches of pre-match offers: one next week (roughly early december), and one roughly the week before the holidays.

:eek: That is such a bummer, I'm really sorry. I wish you lots of luck getting one of the other pre-matches!

Cool - who do you request that with? I've already sent in the form and didn't notice anything there....

When I order the background check, there was an option that they send a copy to my email.

Aw man that's low, sorry to hear about that, bud. I wish you the best...keep your head up dude, I'm sure things are going to work out for you.

Rooting for ya! :thumbup: :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard on MD/MBA acceptances??? I don't remember reading about anybody being accepted as of yet.

Just got an II today with two dates available left, December 7th and January 4th. Anybody have any thoughts on pros and cons on interviewing earlier? I don't know much about how much TT-Lubbock prematches (if they even prematch that late into the cycle) so I'm thinking neither will confer that much of a benefit to be honest. Input would be appreciated!

(Btw stats are GPA: 3.7 and MCAT 30)

Txresident, when did you complete the secondary?

Odd, thought I'd record when I completed it, but I didn't and theres no way to check, but I'm going to assume around the same time I completed the other Texas secondaries so around ~7/12.

Just got an II today with two dates available left, December 7th and January 4th. Anybody have any thoughts on pros and cons on interviewing earlier? I don't know much about how much TT-Lubbock prematches (if they even prematch that late into the cycle) so I'm thinking neither will confer that much of a benefit to be honest. Input would be appreciated!

(Btw stats are GPA: 3.7 and MCAT 30)
Well, I'm pretty sure the prematch period ends January 1st. So you can interview on the 7th and possibly get a prematch, or you can interview on the 4th and for sure have to wait until the match. I'd rather interview on the 7th.

Another pharmacist MD/MBA applicant? Maybe we'll have 2 in the same class haha.

To answer your question, no I haven't heard of anything either.

Yeah, OOS....PharmD class of 2013

I was very impressed by the facilities at Tech and that everyone (repeatedly) told me, "Lubbock is so friendly!"

I'm a little (just a little) bugged that at orientation the message was, "Please consider us because we care about each student and really want you here," but then it seemed like the interviewers had not reviewed my application...at all. This was my 3rd place to interview at and the first time I did not get a single question based on something in my application. Was it like that for the rest of you? I kind of wonder how the idea of "we care about each student" comes across if the interview team doesn't bother to review a file before sitting down with someone.

I was very impressed by the facilities at Tech and that everyone (repeatedly) told me, "Lubbock is so friendly!"

I'm a little (just a little) bugged that at orientation the message was, "Please consider us because we care about each student and really want you here," but then it seemed like the interviewers had not reviewed my application...at all. This was my 3rd place to interview at and the first time I did not get a single question based on something in my application. Was it like that for the rest of you? I kind of wonder how the idea of "we care about each student" comes across if the interview team doesn't bother to review a file before sitting down with someone.

Not at all! Both of my interviewers had actually made notes about things they found interesting in my personal statement and ECs and asked me very specific and relevant questions during the interview.

It wasn't like that for me at all. All three of my interviewers (my 2nd interview was a physician and a MS4 together) asked me many questions on my application. My first interviewer actually jotted down notes about each of my responses in her notepad during the interview. Overall, I felt like the camaraderie at Tech is amazing. Having such an integrated campus with medicine, the other allied health professions, law, business, and the undergrad is a definite plus for me. All the students seemed very approachable, relaxed, and knowledgeable about their school. Although this is back in August, and their schedule may have been more relaxed then. Interviewing experiences will differ among applicants at any place - it's largely driven by the interviewer.

^^Thanks for sharing your perspective. I wouldn't rule out a place based on a single hour there :)

Like what many others said I feel like both my interviewers here knew my application well and one interviewer wrote down notes on everything I said. The whole place seemed great, I even had an extended conversation with one of it janitors when I went to get a drink, everyone there was crazy friendly!

I have had similar experiences as yours to other schools where my interviewer admitted to me he hadn't read the application thoroughly. Probably is just who you interviewed with wasn't a good representative of the overall population :p

Another pharmacist MD/MBA applicant? Maybe we'll have 2 in the same class haha.

To answer your question, no I haven't heard of anything either.

Yeah, OOS....PharmD class of 2013

You guys'll have a ready made volunteer opportunity at the free clinic if you end up at Tech! They started their own on-site pharmacy during the free clinic hours and I'm sure they'd love help

That's too bad :(

Not trying to make excuses, but I know that at least one of my interviewers (not at Lubbock) told me that he or she purposely didn't read anything on my application beforehand in order to approach the situation unbiased

Lubbock is definitely the friendliest place I've lived and I hope that the preparedness of the interviewers doesn't dissuade you too much

Like what many others said I feel like both my interviewers here knew my application well and one interviewer wrote down notes on everything I said. The whole place seemed great, I even had an extended conversation with one of it janitors when I went to get a drink, everyone there was crazy friendly!

I have had similar experiences as yours to other schools where my interviewer admitted to me he hadn't read the application thoroughly. Probably is just who you interviewed with wasn't a good representative of the overall population :p

:laugh:Classic

Lubbock is definitely the friendliest place I've lived and I hope that the preparedness of the interviewers doesn't dissuade you too much

Nope. I'm still definitely open to Lubbock. Met someone at the airport who works at TTUHSC (not the med school). She told me I had to call her so that she and her husband could take me out to dinner when I move to Lubbock. THAT must be what they mean by "Lubbock is so friendly" :laugh:

Can anyone (preferably past/current tech student) comment on relatively how feasible it is to get research (basic/clinical) as an M1? Can students start during the year, or is it recommended to wait until the summer after M1? I really like the integrated block curriculum here and feel like I would be able to pursue research interests at least a few days of the week outside of classes/labs/studying.

Has anyone who received the scholarship notice in their initial acceptance email received any details regarding this? They said details within a few weeks but last year the details were emailed out within a week it appears on SDN.

Has anyone who received the scholarship notice in their initial acceptance email received any details regarding this? They said details within a few weeks but last year the details were emailed out within a week it appears on SDN.

Nope, nothing over here yet. I was going to wait until the end of the week and then send an email. I'm getting antsy!

For any iPhone nerds and apple fans out there (such as myself) SDN has updated their mobile app for iOS 6 and iPhone 5!! Yes I am excited, as this was my first post :)

Can anyone (preferably past/current tech student) comment on relatively how feasible it is to get research (basic/clinical) as an M1? Can students start during the year, or is it recommended to wait until the summer after M1? I really like the integrated block curriculum here and feel like I would be able to pursue research interests at least a few days of the week outside of classes/labs/studying.

I have talked to some older students who started research during their MS1 year. So yes, it is possible. I have heard that it can be helpful to get your feet wet during the school year if you want to do summer research, but not ever student who does summer research has to start during the school year. I'm assuming you know about the Summer Research Program (http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/documents/SOM-Student-Summer-Research.pdf) that makes it pretty easy to get a stipend for your summer project. They usually mention it at interview day

It will mostly depend on you (how well you know the material from undergrad, if you're ok with a pass vs. trying to gun for honors, your study habits) to figure out how much time you have. I definitely wouldn't try to do any research during the first block of anatomy. It is very time intensive and can be a big transition to med school. The second block (biology of cells and tissues) has class ending by noon pretty much every day, so it is much more reasonable to start then.

Professors are very willing to have you help out with research though, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a PI to work with (clinical or basic science based) IMO

Does anyone know when they will be/could be sending out the next round of pre-matches?

Does anyone know when they will be/could be sending out the next round of pre-matches?

A member earlier said that "roughly" around the first week of December? He/She stressed the "roughly". Hopefully they come soon though.

Is there a Facebook page for the TTU Lubbock Class of 2017 yet?

I have a friend that was accepted MD/MBA on prematch day

Emailed admissions staff, and they said that final amounts are up for approval and should be out "soon." Unfortunately they didn't really give specifics about how soon, but hopefully in the next week or two. :luck:

Emailed admissions staff, and they said that final amounts are up for approval and should be out "soon." Unfortunately they didn't really give specifics about how soon, but hopefully in the next week or two. :luck:

I received an email today with details on amount and a form to fill out and send back. I imagine they'll start rolling them out over the next day or so if you haven't gotten it already.

I received an email today with details on amount and a form to fill out and send back. I imagine they'll start rolling them out over the next day or so if you haven't gotten it already.

Awesome! Thanks for the info

I just got an email on Monday afternoon extending me the offer! So excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.