2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed on the first day, 9/24, and I haven't heard anything...gah! I LOVE this school!

To anyone that has interviews coming up - don't stress! They are very conversational and the Dean of Admissions is awesome. Just know your application, smile, read the SDN interview feedback, be yourself, and have a few questions to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed on 10/12 so I'm just being REALLY impatient but no news for anyone yet, huh? They DID say they'd start sending out acceptances yesterday, right??

I interviewed 10/5 and they said something like "around the 15th" or the days following... I got the impression they weren't sending them on the 15th for sure. At least I hope so! :scared:
:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the first day, 9/24, and I haven't heard anything...gah! I LOVE this school!

To anyone that has interviews coming up - don't stress! They are very conversational and the Dean of Admissions is awesome. Just know your application, smile, read the SDN interview feedback, be yourself, and have a few questions to ask.

I'm interviewing this Friday...can you point to the interview feedback you mentioned? The page I found on SDN didn't have anything particularly useful that I could see.

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/ucolorado

Thanks and good luck!

I'm interviewing this Friday...can you point to the interview feedback you mentioned? The page I found on SDN didn't have anything particularly useful that I could see.

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/ucolorado

Thanks and good luck!

I interviewed on 10/5 and found the advice in either of those places to be very helpful. In both of my interviews nearly all of the questions were directly from my AMCAS. There were not any ethical questions in either interview. The only question not from my AMCAS: When is a time that you have felt like you failed? All of the other interviewees had similar experiences.

To prepare I would simply reread your PS, work/activities, secondary, etc. Doing anything else is likely a waste of time.

I interviewed on 10/5! I'm in state and in absolutely in love with this school!! Congrats on the IIs everyone! Interview day is relaxed, fun, and Dr. Winn will have you cracking up during his presentation. He's terrific and does a great job of putting interviewees at ease. :)

Accepted! This is a dream come true!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Norzy! So happy for you!

Thank you! I have so many people to thank for helping me get where I am (including you!) I don't remember how I got on the topic, but I told Paul from your class, my tour guide, that you helped me with my personal statement. (I swear it was tangentially related to our conversation - I didn't just randomly bring it up like a creeper. :) )

Thanks and to you as well!! Will you be matriculating?

Most likely! CU is my top choice :) We very well might be classmates in August! Congratulations again!!

Last edited:
II today for 12/15. 37 4.0 OOS complete 10/5

Sent from my SCH-I500 using SDN Mobile

I just withdrew my interview invite. Hope one of you gets it!

Just had a very good interview day here yesterday. Everyone was very low-key and helpful. One interview was very structured with standardized questions. The other was much more conversational, and allowed me to expand more on my AMCAS application. Some people seemed to have similar experiences, while others had different (but still good) experiences in the interview.

It was mentioned that they are hoping to send out another round of acceptances (about 20) in around 2 weeks. Hopefully some SDNers get good news soon.

so i am an in stater. 10/10/10/R with 3.7 science and overall gpa. does the fact that i havent heard anything at this point mean theyve looked at my app and past over it? a little discouraging if thats the case. i figured being in state id be guaranteed and interview at least. any help or advice?

so i am an in stater. 10/10/10/R with 3.7 science and overall gpa. does the fact that i havent heard anything at this point mean theyve looked at my app and past over it? a little discouraging if thats the case. i figured being in state id be guaranteed and interview at least. any help or advice?

Not necessarily, they don't seem to be going in any particular order. I was complete first day with a 3.8+ 35+ and just got an invite about 2 weeks ago. There doesn't seem to be any particular method to the numbers they interview as one of my friends interviewed late December last year with your numbers and was accepted immediately. Similarly, one of my friends with a 3.8+ 37+ didn't even interview a few years back...it's a complete crapshoot

Don't lose hope! I am IS with similar stats and was accepted. I got a lot of questions about my secondary essay, ECs and non-trad background so I really think CU reviews the whole app thoroughly before, during, and after the interview process. They absolutely care about what makes you a good candidate beyond your numbers! Good luck :)

so i am an in stater. 10/10/10/R with 3.7 science and overall gpa. does the fact that i havent heard anything at this point mean theyve looked at my app and past over it?
Nope, there's a very good chance they haven't gotten to your application yet. CU tends to be a bit later in reviewing apps than other schools and you have a decent shot of getting an interview invite until about the end of January.

i figured being in state id be guaranteed and interview at least. any help or advice?
Definitely no guarantees there. Plenty of very well qualified in-staters do NOT get interviews.

Question... Mainly to any people already accepted or enrolled here that are lurking.

Is it worth it to write out a thank you email after the interview? To me, I'd rather not bother the Adcom with another thing to read and (maybe) file that is little more than a formality. Especially since they seem to make decisions the day of the interview (the interviewers all meet to review and score the applicants immediately after the interviews are done in the morning).

Plus, I'm unbelievably burned out and would rather not jump through any more hoops/formalities.

+pity+

I tend to think (unless the school specifically tells you not to) that it's a good practice that shows respect for your interviewers. Yes, the interviewers meet that afternoon so it won't influence your decision but it's still a good thing to do IMO. And CU told me it was ok to send them so I'd do it!

I tend to think (unless the school specifically tells you not to) that it's a good practice that shows respect for your interviewers. Yes, the interviewers meet that afternoon so it won't influence your decision but it's still a good thing to do IMO. And CU told me it was ok to send them so I'd do it!

Crap, you guilted me into it!

Question... Mainly to any people already accepted or enrolled here that are lurking.

Is it worth it to write out a thank you email after the interview? To me, I'd rather not bother the Adcom with another thing to read and (maybe) file that is little more than a formality. Especially since they seem to make decisions the day of the interview (the interviewers all meet to review and score the applicants immediately after the interviews are done in the morning).

Plus, I'm unbelievably burned out and would rather not jump through any more hoops/formalities.

+pity+

If you're just doing it "to get in" don't bother (anywhere). That said, they are volunteering their time on the adcom to interview you and a ton of other people. The least you can do is thank them for advocating on your behalf. Yes, I know it doesn't seem like they are doing you a favor by interviewing you (and it's really more of a favor to the school, but...) think of it that way b/c honestly there are going to be SOOO many more formalities that seem just plain dumb/annoying after this -- no matter where you go (CU or otherwise).

I was thinking of it from more of a paperwork aspect & also from a patience aspect. Not as a "to get in" factor. Out of respect of each interviewer volunteering, I likely thanked them more than enough during the interview. Since we were told to send any updated documentation to the general adcom email, I wouldn't be surprised if the interviewers never see them. But I may be wrong.

I simply don't want to come across as someone who is badgering them. I can't imagine that writing a note (or not) tilts the scales much in either way (it doesn't to me when I interview people at work), but it does create more work for the adcom.

From a paperwork aspect, 700 interview invitations x 2 interviews per invitation x 1 thank you per each = 1400 more pages to file. If I were on the adcom, this would be a hassle. Yes, a thank you note is more tangible than saying it in person. But when something is tangible, someone has to take even MORE time to print/file/etc everything.

Still unsure if I'm going to write one, but I probably will this weekend when I have more than 60 seconds to sit at the computer (better late than never).

Just got accepted here! I was so happy to see the email I think I cried for 2 hours and scared everyone in the library. Good luck to everyone!!

OOS, latina, interviewed on 10/19, accepted on 11/5 :soexcited: This was my top choice so I'll be there in August!!

+pity+

I did not write a letter to the admissions people...I'm not sure that would have any impact. However, I did write the people who interviewed me (I asked for their business cards after meeting them) and one actually wrote me back telling me how much he enjoyed our discussion and that he gave me a glowing recommendation. It sure felt good knowing that while I was waiting for an acceptance - if that's worth anything to you!

the next batch of acceptances should be out on Monday. :xf:

I did not write a letter to the admissions people...I'm not sure that would have any impact. However, I did write the people who interviewed me (I asked for their business cards after meeting them) and one actually wrote me back telling me how much he enjoyed our discussion and that he gave me a glowing recommendation. It sure felt good knowing that while I was waiting for an acceptance - if that's worth anything to you!

I did end up writing a thank-you note, and was happy to get a reply back a few days later saying that it was forwarded on to my interviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.